Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50)

intermittent fasting

Has anyone tried this type of eating plan in combination with heavy lifting?

I usually dont like following the "latest" diet plans but the idea of saving time on cooking is just too tempting to resist.

I have a hectic schedule with studying, training and working.

This sort of "lean gains" eating schedule would be perfect but how much does it impact training?

Thanks in advance
    ill rep you if you're using common sense

www.squatsandmilk.com

coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I have been IF'ing for the past 4 months, great for cutting since you get much larger meals, and I'm never that hungry in the mornings. Its also great for bulking, I feel like I have stayed much leaner while gaining weight.

Its no magic pill, but it can be very conveniant.
    PL: 400/280/475

djoyce2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) djoyce2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) djoyce2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) djoyce2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) djoyce2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) djoyce2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) djoyce2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) djoyce2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) djoyce2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) djoyce2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) djoyce2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    not to start a fight or anything...

but isn't this just the practice of skipping breakfast?

The premise behind this "diet" is that nutrient timing is useless. So assuming that is the case, why would would your performance suffer?
    log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141815421

SEOINAGEbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEOINAGEbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEOINAGEbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEOINAGEbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEOINAGEbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEOINAGEbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEOINAGEbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEOINAGEbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEOINAGEbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEOINAGEbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SEOINAGEbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You can make just about anything work towards your goals. Some people swear by x principles some people swear by y principles. Only way to really know if it works for you is try it out, and even then you really can't swear by it because there are multiple factors. Really just need to find what you like, what allows you to keep going all things considered and reach your goals.

djoyce2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) djoyce2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) djoyce2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) djoyce2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) djoyce2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) djoyce2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) djoyce2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) djoyce2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) djoyce2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) djoyce2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) djoyce2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by SEOINAGEbb View Post
    You can make just about anything work towards your goals. Some people swear by x principles some people swear by y principles. Only way to really know if it works for you is try it out, and even then you really can't swear by it because there are multiple factors. Really just need to find what you like, what allows you to keep going all things considered and reach your goals.
    pretty much what this guy said. If it`s convenient, then go for it.

blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I did it for awhile and liked it. The nice thing is not worrying about preparing meals.

koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Worked well for me to recomp, but no good for cutting.
    Also sucked being hungry all day.
    314/231/352/881@123

5_02ls1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5_02ls1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5_02ls1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5_02ls1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5_02ls1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5_02ls1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5_02ls1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5_02ls1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5_02ls1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5_02ls1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5_02ls1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    been doing it since october, I have good days and bad days in the gym,but ive lost a fairly decent amount of bodyfat while gaining a little strength...

wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I love IF.

I've been doing it for a good 7-8 months now and following the standard break fast at 1pm and have my last meal by 9pm plan. The hunger pains did suck originally but after a couple of months you get used to it. By 1pm I'm pretty hungry though!
    My Madcow Journal - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136450181

ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by wick View Post
    I love IF.

I've been doing it for a good 7-8 months now and following the standard break fast at 1pm and have my last meal by 9pm plan. The hunger pains did suck originally but after a couple of months you get used to it. By 1pm I'm pretty hungry though!

same for me. I've gotten used to training fasted as well, and I can't believe the extra time I have in the morning since I don't have to prepare mills.

I used it to cut last year, and I'm gaining slowly but steadily on a slight surplus now.
    Training Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142931161

wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ArchDukeOfTops View Post
    I can't believe the extra time I have in the morning
    Yeah, I get to sleep in an extra 30 mins since I don't have to worry about cooking and eating breakfast. Love it

Registered User MeeesterNiceGuy's Avatar
    MeeesterNiceGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MeeesterNiceGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MeeesterNiceGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MeeesterNiceGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MeeesterNiceGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MeeesterNiceGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MeeesterNiceGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MeeesterNiceGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MeeesterNiceGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you guys don't drink coffee or a shake in the morning?

Originally Posted by MeeesterNiceGuy View Post
    you guys don't drink coffee or a shake in the morning?
    Just a shot of coffee, like an espresso with no sugar and milk and then water till 1pm for me.

coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I have a few cups of coffee in the morning and seems to help with the hunger until I break my fast at 11am ish.
    PL: 400/280/475

theadvantage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theadvantage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theadvantage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theadvantage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theadvantage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theadvantage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by djoyce2 View Post
    not to start a fight or anything...

but isn't this just the practice of skipping breakfast?

The premise behind this "diet" is that nutrient timing is useless. So assuming that is the case, why would would your performance suffer?
    That's not true at all. You ingest 90%+ of your calories after your workout and before you go to bed. Lift. Eat. Sleep. Repeat. When does your body most need calories? After a workout. This is the very essence of nutrient timing. Exactly the opposite of implying timing is useless.

There are variations, of course, but most commonly, people fast for ~16 hours. After you lift, you stuff your face; after you stuff your face, you pass out.

How do you define "nutrient timing?" If it's 'eat every 3 hours,' that's wrong; eating every 3 hours is a common and proven successful protocol. Nutrient timing simply means giving your body the calories it needs when it is best suited to productively use those calories. IF'ing does exactly that and there's plenty of research showing that you can cut, recomp, bulk, or maintain effectively by IF'ing.

Look at every other apex predator on earth. A lion chases a zebra around(workout), kills and eats it(meal), and then passes the **** out indefinitely(sleep). This is what our bodies are evolutionarily programmed to do; it's not until a few thousand years ago that humans stopped having to chase meat around and started cultivating grains.

Originally Posted by theadvantage View Post
    That's not true at all. You ingest 90%+ of your calories after your workout and before you go to bed. Lift. Eat. Sleep. Repeat. When does your body most need calories? After a workout. This is the very essence of nutrient timing. Exactly the opposite of implying timing is useless.

There are variations, of course, but most commonly, people fast for ~16 hours. After you lift, you stuff your face; after you stuff your face, you pass out.

How do you define "nutrient timing?" If it's 'eat every 3 hours,' that's wrong; eating every 3 hours is a common and proven successful protocol. Nutrient timing simply means giving your body the calories it needs when it is best suited to productively use those calories. IF'ing does exactly that and there's plenty of research showing that you can cut, recomp, bulk, or maintain effectively by IF'ing.

Look at every other apex predator on earth. A lion chases a zebra around(workout), kills and eats it(meal), and then passes the **** out indefinitely(sleep). This is what our bodies are evolutionarily programmed to do; it's not until a few thousand years ago that humans stopped having to chase meat around and started cultivating grains.
    no. just no. Nutrient timing is irrelevant, and I doubt you've ever read anything from the main guys who promote intermittent fasting.

check out leangains.com, lots of good info on IF for you.

pm me if you're interested, and I can produce some scientific literature that dispels the nutrient timing myths.

theadvantage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theadvantage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theadvantage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theadvantage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theadvantage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theadvantage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    no. just no. Nutrient timing is irrelevant, and I doubt you've ever read anything from the main guys who promote intermittent fasting.

pm me if you're interested, and I can produce some scientific literature that dispels the nutrient timing myths.
    I'm familiar with leangains. Of which myths do you speak?

Originally Posted by theadvantage View Post
    I'm familiar with leangains. Of which myths do you speak?
    any myth which suggests eating at one particular time is superior to eating at another particular time.

boring06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) boring06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) boring06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) boring06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) boring06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) boring06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) boring06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) boring06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) boring06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) boring06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) boring06 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I followed lean gains this past summer. I had a job that made me no money, worked from 9 to 9 with only about an hours break in between. I followed lean gains under less than ideal conditions, and it worked like a charm as far as cutting goes. I tried to bulk with it at a later time, and it didn't really work for me. I would recommend that you try it if you feel it will be easier on your schedule, but keep a close eye on how your body responds. Good luck man!
    "Everybody's worried about overtraining. Sheesh. Push it, blast it, no tiptoeing through the fields of metal" - Dave Draper

Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Wow thanks for the great replies.

How does it effect your concentration because when im hungry i become irritable.

As i have to spend most of my day absorbing walls after walls of text.
    ill rep you if you're using common sense

www.squatsandmilk.com

I feel way more focused and clear headed during the fast. Most people experience this from what I've read.

kayne695 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kayne695 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kayne695 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kayne695 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kayne695 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kayne695 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kayne695 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kayne695 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kayne695 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kayne695 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kayne695 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Does anyone find it interferes with their training if you go to the gym completely fasted? Or do you have a small meal before going to the gym? When I go in the morning I like to have at least a small meal beforehand.
    Sheiko Training Log!!!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147680953

PB's / GOAL's (end of 2012)
    S: 336x1 / 397x1
    B: 198x1 / 237x1
    D: 440x1 / 468x1
    T: 976 / 1102

Bodyweight

MAY 2011 - 67.8kg (149.5lbs)
    APR 2012 - 85.6kg (188.7lbs)
    AUG 2012 - 76.1kg (167.8lbs)

bonkerzzz is just really nice. (+1000) bonkerzzz is just really nice. (+1000) bonkerzzz is just really nice. (+1000) bonkerzzz is just really nice. (+1000) bonkerzzz is just really nice. (+1000) bonkerzzz is just really nice. (+1000) bonkerzzz is just really nice. (+1000) bonkerzzz is just really nice. (+1000) bonkerzzz is just really nice. (+1000) bonkerzzz is just really nice. (+1000) bonkerzzz is just really nice. (+1000)
    After a few days you probably won't be hungry if your getting the amount of calories you need in the feasting period.

naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I am not a fan
    Free Agent

Instagram.com/naturalguy2.0

bonkerzzz is just really nice. (+1000) bonkerzzz is just really nice. (+1000) bonkerzzz is just really nice. (+1000) bonkerzzz is just really nice. (+1000) bonkerzzz is just really nice. (+1000) bonkerzzz is just really nice. (+1000) bonkerzzz is just really nice. (+1000) bonkerzzz is just really nice. (+1000) bonkerzzz is just really nice. (+1000) bonkerzzz is just really nice. (+1000) bonkerzzz is just really nice. (+1000)

The whole idea with Leangains and eating high carb on workout days and low carb on rest days is purely down to nutrient timing/partitioning. I don't know why you think differently.

What about a fairly recent article about eating later in the day for better fat loss?

naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by bonkerzzz View Post
    The whole idea with Leangains and eating high carb on workout days and low carb on rest days is purely down to nutrient timing/partitioning. I don't know why you think differently.

What about a fairly recent article about eating later in the day for better fat loss?
    Agreed, Lean gains is about nutrient timing so you can't say it's irrelevant then tell people to only eat during a certain window of time, it's contradictory.
    Free Agent

Instagram.com/naturalguy2.0

Originally Posted by bonkerzzz View Post

does this article have citations? or is it just some guy's opinion?

I'm familiar with the "carb backloading" technique that you speak of, however I'm not aware of it actually being supported by science.

BumShrapnel will become famous soon enough. (+50) BumShrapnel will become famous soon enough. (+50) BumShrapnel will become famous soon enough. (+50) BumShrapnel will become famous soon enough. (+50) BumShrapnel will become famous soon enough. (+50) BumShrapnel will become famous soon enough. (+50) BumShrapnel will become famous soon enough. (+50) BumShrapnel will become famous soon enough. (+50) BumShrapnel will become famous soon enough. (+50) BumShrapnel will become famous soon enough. (+50) BumShrapnel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by koyongi View Post
    Worked well for me to recomp, but no good for cutting.
    Also sucked being hungry all day.
    This. It's just a really simple/crude way of lowering daily intake.

I feel I should point out that I personally didn't, physically, theoretically or metaphorically,turn into an apex predator or a caveman that can chase down, tackle and kill a zebra bare handed and feast on it's raw flesh without violent indigestion. I say this only so that you don't face the same crushing combination of disappointment and tummy ache that I did.

chuckarock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chuckarock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chuckarock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chuckarock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chuckarock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chuckarock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chuckarock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chuckarock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chuckarock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chuckarock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chuckarock has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i have a hard time recovering from workout to workout if i do that
    35# weight - PR: 19.83.
    Shot Put - PR: 15.83m
    Hammer - PR: 56.23 - 2012 goal: 60m

Lifts
    Front squat (atg) - 405 (Jan '12)
    Bench - 3450 (Feb '12)
    Power Clean - 320 (Jan '12)
    40: 4.8 Standing Vert: 31" Standing Long Jump: 9'8" (dec '11)

runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm not sayin that it dont work cuz I'm sure it does. I'm also sure that just about all these diets work in one way or another. Me personally, I just eat when I'm hungry, sleep when I'm tired, work hard and play hard. I aint built like anybody special but I aint a fat **** neither and I can lift with most folks when I want to so I'm happy.

edit to say that I'm with djoyce on the nutrient timing thing though..............I dont believe the hype. Its just as useless as they kids that bench about tree fiddy doin the conjugate method. Makes no sense to me at all.