tlovesb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Anyone dealing with TMJ pain?

My pain issues come from my jaw joints. In June 2010 I had both jaw joints replaced due to severe TMJ. I've tried multiple times since the surgery to get back into a strength training routine, but once I start lifting anywhere close to failure I end up clenching my jaws as I lift which triggers jaw pain and migraines. I've tried to figure out how to lift without clenching my jaws, but haven't had any success. My surgeon couldn't offer any helpful suggestions. I'm wondering if there is any kind of therapist that works with issues of this type? Or how to adapt suggestions for other joint issues to work for the jaw joints?

BebeJane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BebeJane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BebeJane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BebeJane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BebeJane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BebeJane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BebeJane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BebeJane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BebeJane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BebeJane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BebeJane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My husband has this, but I don't know how to help you. It's annoying, I'm sorry, hope you feel better and figure it out! Maybe it will just take practice.

kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000)
    My chiropractor does a jaw manipulation when I have problems with mine. It hurts like hell when he's doing it but I feel a huge difference by the next day. I don't have nearly as serious a problem as you do so I don't know if a chiro will help or not. Otherwise have you thought about a bite guard? It won't stop you from clenching on heavy lifts but it might keep your teeth from grinding together and causing more tension in your jaw. Best of luck with it. I hope you find a solution.
    You have to train your mind the same way you train your body. You must protect it against the negative and feed it with the positive. Be mindful of what you watch, what you read and who you allow to influence you. Learn to consider your thoughts emotions and actions. Trust your gut face your fears head on and never quit. AJ Roberts

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143102443

momicon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have also had great success with a chiro for TMJ. Was so bad that some nights I didn't eat b/c it hurt too much to chew. A few weeks of 3x/week visits to the chiro provided an enormous improvement. Like PP mentioned it hurts like hell when they're doing it (I cried a few times) but it's not for very long and so worth the results.

LinRey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You may want to check out a condition called Trigeminal neuralgia. That may be the issue. I just spent the last 2 years dealing with it.

paulett is just really nice. (+1000) paulett is just really nice. (+1000) paulett is just really nice. (+1000) paulett is just really nice. (+1000) paulett is just really nice. (+1000) paulett is just really nice. (+1000) paulett is just really nice. (+1000) paulett is just really nice. (+1000) paulett is just really nice. (+1000) paulett is just really nice. (+1000) paulett is just really nice. (+1000)
    Unfortunately, the jaw replacements have a tendency to make your pain worse. I totally feel for what you are going through. I would advise not to go to a chiro in light of the fact that you've had jaw replacement. They could damage your replacements, which would mean another surgery.

I have severe TMJ. My right condile is FUBARed. The best thing I ever did for my TMJ is exercising. Second best, remove from my life stressors. I used to get migraines every other day. Now I get them once in a while. For you, it might lessen the pain, but not take it away completely because of your jaw replacement. Also, I would try accupuncture and bio-feedback. Bio-feedback works wonders for people with migraines - same technique can be applied for TMJ sufferers.

cut, bulk..... repeat whiskeytango76's Avatar
    whiskeytango76 is on a distinguished road. (+10) whiskeytango76 is on a distinguished road. (+10) whiskeytango76 is on a distinguished road. (+10) whiskeytango76 is on a distinguished road. (+10) whiskeytango76 is on a distinguished road. (+10) whiskeytango76 is on a distinguished road. (+10) whiskeytango76 is on a distinguished road. (+10) whiskeytango76 is on a distinguished road. (+10) whiskeytango76 is on a distinguished road. (+10) whiskeytango76 is on a distinguished road. (+10) whiskeytango76 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have slight tmj ( can't eat jerky or chew gum much at all ) so I can relate. Have you tried a soft mouth guard while lifting? just a thought.

tlovesb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I looked at the mouth guards at the drugstore - they all say not to use if you have TMJ, I just got a referral from my doc for physical therapy and biofeedback so praying those will help.

bewst is on a distinguished road. (+10) bewst is on a distinguished road. (+10) bewst is on a distinguished road. (+10) bewst is on a distinguished road. (+10) bewst is on a distinguished road. (+10) bewst is on a distinguished road. (+10) bewst is on a distinguished road. (+10) bewst is on a distinguished road. (+10) bewst is on a distinguished road. (+10) bewst is on a distinguished road. (+10) bewst is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I also had great success with a chiropractor for TMJ issues. It hurt like hell while he was "adjusting" but it made the pain die down considerably. After that he showed me these stretches/exercises and whenever I feel the TMJ acting up I do them and I haven't had a major issue since.

The stretches are basically just putting your fist at the right/left side of your chin and pushing against your fist with your jaw strength. Do the same with your fist under your chin as if trying to open your mouth. It really worked wonders for me.

Meg127 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Meg127 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Meg127 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Meg127 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Meg127 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Meg127 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Meg127 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Meg127 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Meg127 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Meg127 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Meg127 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I had a terrible TMJ problem about 7 years ago from some major dental surgery. I thought nothing short of a jumping off a cliff was going to relieve the pain, which lasted a good 4 months. Finally went to an acupuncturist and after 6 once-a-week treatments I was myself again. No problems since. The acupuncturist connected small electrodes to the needles around my jaw to promote stronger blood flow and all the chi my body could muster to that location. Heaven sent! He also recommended that I massage the muscles tissue inside my mouth around my jaws when they felt tight. Hope this helps.