xagent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xagent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xagent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xagent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xagent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xagent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xagent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xagent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xagent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xagent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xagent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Signing up for my first meet in 4 weeks, a few questions please!

I'm considering signing up for my first ever meet in just 4 weeks (Feb 18-19). I recently stopped Strating Strength's LP, and am doing Texas Method. I have a few questions I was hoping you guys here might help me with, and any advice

I just ordered the $33 singlet from Inzer. Whats your recommendation on sizing? I'm 5' 6.75" tall, weigh 155, and my t-shirt size right now is Small for tight/snug looking shirts, Medium for comfort. Jeans I wear waist 31, length 30, regular straight fit. I ended up ordering the size Medium singlet... not sure if I'll have enough time to return it and wait for a new one if it doesn't fit. Think it'll fit?

Do you think I should go for full power, just do deadlift, or do push-pull? My deadlift is good (335x4 yesterday), my squat is decent(240x5 yesterday), and my bench blows(145x5).

It's my first meet, I'm obviously not focused on winning. Just nervous about making a fool of myself by benching my 1RM at just bodyweight. I've also never done bench w/ pause at the bottom, but just touch and go, as taught in Starting Strength. Even my squat # seems pretty low among all the results I looked up in my weight class. Also, I'm worried about being gassed out by the time deadlift is up. Should I just do deadlift only instead? Or push-pull at least?

My other dilemma is weight class. I weigh 155. Smack dab in between the 148 lb and 165 lb weight classes. Try to cut down to 148 and risk losing strength (or worse, lose strength but only make it down to 150 and still be put in 165 class)? Or just eat a ****load and do my best to get as high up to 165 within the next 4 weeks? "Dirty" bulk(well over maintenance, eat lots of complex carbs) or clean bulk (slightly over maintenance, what I currently eat, low-carb... Paleo + 1/2 GOMAD + beans)?

And finally, I usually deadlift barefoot. I read the rules and it said shoes are required. What about FiveFingers, do these count as shoes? Only other shoes I own are Oly weightlifting shoes, which have a pretty substantial heel. Wondering if I should buy a pair of New Balance Minimus if FiveFingers aren't allowed?

koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Medium singlet, full meet, compete at whatever you weigh in the day of the meet, and Vibrams are fine unless the judges are being hateful.
    314/231/352/881@123

Limitless7 is just really nice. (+1000) Limitless7 is just really nice. (+1000) Limitless7 is just really nice. (+1000) Limitless7 is just really nice. (+1000) Limitless7 is just really nice. (+1000) Limitless7 is just really nice. (+1000) Limitless7 is just really nice. (+1000) Limitless7 is just really nice. (+1000) Limitless7 is just really nice. (+1000) Limitless7 is just really nice. (+1000) Limitless7 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by xagent View Post
    I just ordered the $33 singlet from Inzer. Whats your recommendation on sizing? I'm 5' 6.75" tall, weigh 155, and my t-shirt size right now is Small for tight/snug looking shirts, Medium for comfort. Jeans I wear waist 31, length 30, regular straight fit. I ended up ordering the size Medium singlet... not sure if I'll have enough time to return it and wait for a new one if it doesn't fit. Think it'll fit?
    Medium should be good.

Do you think I should go for full power, just do deadlift, or do push-pull? My deadlift is good (335x4 yesterday), my squat is decent(240x5 yesterday), and my bench blows(145x5).
    Do full power. It's a learning experience and your first meet, you aren't expected to win your weight class or set records. Just enjoy yourself.

It's my first meet, I'm obviously not focused on winning. Just nervous about making a fool of myself by benching my 1RM at just bodyweight. I've also never done bench w/ pause at the bottom, but just touch and go, as taught in Starting Strength. Even my squat # seems pretty low among all the results I looked up in my weight class. Also, I'm worried about being gassed out by the time deadlift is up. Should I just do deadlift only instead? Or push-pull at least?
    The majority are very encouraging and friendly to first time competitors. You will be encouraged rather than laughed at no matter what your numbers are!

My other dilemma is weight class. I weigh 155. Smack dab in between the 148 lb and 165 lb weight classes. Try to cut down to 148 and risk losing strength (or worse, lose strength but only make it down to 150 and still be put in 165 class)? Or just eat a ****load and do my best to get as high up to 165 within the next 4 weeks? "Dirty" bulk(well over maintenance, eat lots of complex carbs) or clean bulk (slightly over maintenance, what I currently eat, low-carb... Paleo + 1/2 GOMAD + beans)?
    I would not advise cutting for your first meet. My first meet I weighed in high 150s and ate as much as I could leading up to the meet. Just go out there and lift the best you can and have fun. You won't be setting records cutting to 148 so cutting is pointless.

And finally, I usually deadlift barefoot. I read the rules and it said shoes are required. What about FiveFingers, do these count as shoes? Only other shoes I own are Oly weightlifting shoes, which have a pretty substantial heel. Wondering if I should buy a pair of New Balance Minimus if FiveFingers aren't allowed?
    Would recommend you to get a pair of deadlift slippers. I deadlift in wrestling/boxing shoes. Anything with a flat, solid sole is good also. Not sure what federation you are entering but you will very likely be required to deadlift in knee high socks. Also make sure all your lifts are to competition standard. No idea about the Vibrams never seen anyone lift or compete in them
    440/365/595 @ 165
    raw no wraps

arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Where is the meet at and what fed? I'm sure there are a bunch of meets that weekend but I'm going with my team down to Ft. Lauderdale for a meet that same weekend. Wondering if you are going to the same.
    1372 @ 205
    USAPL Senior International Coach & IPF Cat II Referee
    Squats & Science Head Coach
    http://squatsandscience.com/sscoaching/

Boynton Barbell Center:
    http://boyntonbarbellcenter.com/

YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ariandbz

xagent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xagent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xagent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xagent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xagent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xagent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xagent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xagent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xagent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xagent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xagent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It is the USPA federation West Coast Open Powerlifting Championship, in Concord, CA at Diablo Barbell. Feb 18 is the full power, Feb 19 is bench/dead/push-pull.

yes I read the rules, it says you need high socks as well... guess I'll need to buy those too.

As for training... I'm currently doing all the lifts exactly as in SS. Should I modify my training/technique at all? For example should I start benching with a pause? Use an even wider stance for squats? Should I continue doing x5 reps per set, or is it ok to add in heavy singles/doubles/triples?

JacobRothenberg is a name known to all. (+5000) JacobRothenberg is a name known to all. (+5000) JacobRothenberg is a name known to all. (+5000) JacobRothenberg is a name known to all. (+5000) JacobRothenberg is a name known to all. (+5000) JacobRothenberg is a name known to all. (+5000) JacobRothenberg is a name known to all. (+5000) JacobRothenberg is a name known to all. (+5000) JacobRothenberg is a name known to all. (+5000) JacobRothenberg is a name known to all. (+5000) JacobRothenberg is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Do the full meet as a raw lifter. Don't be intimidated by the prospect of appearing to be weaker than the majority of the lifters at the meet...you'll actually be right in line with everyone else for your weight class. At a meet, no one is going to point fun at you AT ALL for lifting relatively light weights...what matters is that you do your best and succeed.

Don't start playing around with your lifting form. I don't know much about SS, but you should probably follow the program for the remainder of your training if it's supposed to peak you for particular goals. Mabye you could try pausing the bar for benching, perhaps taking your opener 7-14 days before the meet depending on how you structure your training.

What's your name? Isaku900 (the moderator of this forum) will be lifting on the 19th, as will I. I have to weigh in on the 18th, so I wouldn't mind stopping by & saying hi.

Be sure to get your entry form in before the 4th. Good luck!
    Elite Raw Powerlifter

633 / 418 / 633 - 1686 Raw (Wraps) @ 242

The Muscle Bear | Discover Your Powerlifting Potential

http://www.themusclebear.com

arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It is the USPA federation West Coast Open Powerlifting Championship, in Concord, CA at Diablo Barbell. Feb 18 is the full power, Feb 19 is bench/dead/push-pull.

yes I read the rules, it says you need high socks as well... guess I'll need to buy those too.

As for training... I'm currently doing all the lifts exactly as in SS. Should I modify my training/technique at all? For example should I start benching with a pause? Use an even wider stance for squats? Should I continue doing x5 reps per set, or is it ok to add in heavy singles/doubles/triples?
    Why would you do wider stance squats? Try and keep as many things the same as possible. The only concern I would have is that if you've never done paused bench before, maybe you should try it. I don't know how much you bounce for your touch and go. Maybe practice paused bench with your warm up weights. Or do a back off set after work sets and do some paused practice, but nothing too much to mess up your next workout.
    1372 @ 205
    USAPL Senior International Coach & IPF Cat II Referee
    Squats & Science Head Coach
    http://squatsandscience.com/sscoaching/

Boynton Barbell Center:
    http://boyntonbarbellcenter.com/

YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ariandbz

JacobRothenberg is a name known to all. (+5000) JacobRothenberg is a name known to all. (+5000) JacobRothenberg is a name known to all. (+5000) JacobRothenberg is a name known to all. (+5000) JacobRothenberg is a name known to all. (+5000) JacobRothenberg is a name known to all. (+5000) JacobRothenberg is a name known to all. (+5000) JacobRothenberg is a name known to all. (+5000) JacobRothenberg is a name known to all. (+5000) JacobRothenberg is a name known to all. (+5000) JacobRothenberg is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Oh yeah, and don't wear five finger vibrams. Only ***gots wear those. Use chuck taylors or wrestling shoes.
    Elite Raw Powerlifter

633 / 418 / 633 - 1686 Raw (Wraps) @ 242

The Muscle Bear | Discover Your Powerlifting Potential

http://www.themusclebear.com

Originally Posted by JacobRothenberg View Post
    Do the full meet as a raw lifter. Don't be intimidated by the prospect of appearing to be weaker than the majority of the lifters at the meet...you'll actually be right in line with everyone else for your weight class. At a meet, no one is going to point fun at you AT ALL for lifting relatively light weights...what matters is that you do your best and succeed.

Don't start playing around with your lifting form. I don't know much about SS, but you should probably follow the program for the remainder of your training if it's supposed to peak you for particular goals. Mabye you could try pausing the bar for benching, perhaps taking your opener 7-14 days before the meet depending on how you structure your training.

What's your name? Isaku900 (the moderator of this forum) will be lifting on the 19th, as will I. I have to weigh in on the 18th, so I wouldn't mind stopping by & saying hi.

Be sure to get your entry form in before the 4th. Good luck!
    Thanks man for the reassurance. I've never played in any high school or college sports growing up, and prior to 1.5 years ago, was a skinny-fat bastard that drank a lot of beer and has never touched barbell in his life. So, I'm naturally self-conscious when it comes to anything athletic like this. Come to think of it, this may be my first ever athletic competition in my life, since doing little league baseball.

I guess I'm just nervous because the deadlift, my strongest lift, is last. I don't want to open up with an average squat, then an absolutely ****ty bench having everyone think "omg what a newb, why is he wasting our time only benching just barely a plate on each side?".

I don't plan on modifying my training, except I'll just take Friday off. So I'd lift Monday and Wed as normal, and skip Friday to get some good rest in. Although I think I may start practicing paused bench, since I've never done it.

coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I guess I'm just nervous because the deadlift, my strongest lift, is last. I don't want to open up with an average squat, then an absolutely ****ty bench having everyone think "omg what a newb, why is he wasting our time only benching just barely a plate on each side?".
    No one will think that. And if they do, **** them.
    615/385/635

isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by coachdeez View Post
    No one will think that. And if they do, **** them.
    I know I won't, I'll be too busy gasping for breath and getting ready to warmup.
    *Mods/CS will not, nor can they change your username, so don't ask*
    *Mods/CS will not, nor can they mass delete your post history, so don't ask*