Thread: My Motivation

timross13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) timross13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) timross13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) timross13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) timross13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) timross13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) timross13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) timross13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) timross13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) timross13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) timross13 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

My Motivation

Hello everyone, glad to be back. I have been gone for 2+ years, but the reason why is probably different than what you are thinking. My journey has been a strange one, but hopefully someone can learn from my mistakes.

I began lifting back in 2011 (I was 47 at the time) when I stumbled across a great deal on a bench, squat rack, and 330lbs of olympic weights on Craigs List. I joined BB.com, and began combing through articles and comments from other users. I have always wanted to get into lifting, but never committed myself. I grew up playing sports (baseball, football, basketball), and attended college on a baseball scholarship. I have always been a little on the heavy side, but not someone you would consider over weight. Playing sports seemed to keep my weight in check. Enough of my back story, on to the present.

I started lifting in earnest in 2011. My weight when I started was 285lbs. When you stand at 5' 7", that is what doctors consider clinically obese. I lost 20lbs, and was progressing well on my journey. But it all changed on May 13th, 2012. On that day, I suffered a stroke. It affected the occipital lobe of my brain which effects vision and short term memory. I lost my right side peripheral vision. In other words, I am half blind now. I am no longer allowed to drive, and have been placed on long term disability. My doctor said I should go on permanent disability, but I am not ready to sign off on that quite yet. I am hoping to return to work one day.

I have been cleared to start lifting weights again. I have been walking for 2 years now. Running is very difficult when you have lost half your vision field. I tried early on, but kept tripping and running into mailboxes and signs. I now walk 3.5 - 4 miles 4x a week. One positive is that I consulted with a dietitian after my stroke to help me with a diet. It's real simple. 45g of carbs each meal (breakfast, lunch, dinner), and 35g of carbs for my 2 snacks.

I am now down to 220lbs. My weight loss has slowed to a crawl now, and hope that by combining my walks with my lifting will kick start my metabolism. I have stuck to this diet for 2 years now to the point where it is normal for me now. I know what I can eat, and I no longer crave the foods that got me in trouble. My stroke gave me all the motivation I needed. My new motto is "Lift heavy and Just. Keep. Walking."

Now that I am home all day, gives me plenty of time to devote to exercise and lifting. Starting slow with the lifting, and am not obsessed with how much I lift but with how often I lift, and to do it right. I am thrilled to be able to lift again.
    Tango Romeo
    Stroke Survivor - May 13, 2012

Registered User devilsrule61287's Avatar
    devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Man, and I thought I had gotten into the game too late as a 27 year old. Just goes to show that it is NEVER too late to get stronger, get healthier and better yourself. Great job on your progress thus far, and best of luck as your journey continues