Thread: Spartan Race

Coooombe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Spartan Race

Alright guys, I've made the decision to get fit and healthy after living a few years of binge drinking and smoking. I want to aim to be in fit shape to complete the spartan race (spartanrace. com) by the end of 2013. Currently I have no physical fitness, I weigh about 9 stone (126lbs), am 5'7 and have no cardiovascular fitness.

I'm desperate to start training for this but I have no idea what sort of workout to do, as the race encapsulates all sorts of physical tests and challenges. Has anyone done it before, or could point me in the right direction to train for such an event? I'd ideally like to put on some size during the process as well, as I do not feel I am at a healthy weight

Cheers for you time guys,

Dave.

Adamm21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adamm21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Coooombe View Post
    Alright guys, I've made the decision to get fit and healthy after living a few years of binge drinking and smoking. I want to aim to be in fit shape to complete the spartan race (spartanrace. com) by the end of 2013. Currently I have no physical fitness, I weigh about 9 stone (126lbs), am 5'7 and have no cardiovascular fitness.

I'm desperate to start training for this but I have no idea what sort of workout to do, as the race encapsulates all sorts of physical tests and challenges. Has anyone done it before, or could point me in the right direction to train for such an event? I'd ideally like to put on some size during the process as well, as I do not feel I am at a healthy weight

Cheers for you time guys,

Dave.
    Hey Dave, I would love to help you out here as I recently completed the Spartan Sprint so I can let you know exactly what to expect, and also give you some pointers on training from my experience.

Okay well the Spartan Sprint is intense. You literally sprint the whole way. The type of obstacles you will face are not so bad, you will need to be able to lift your own weight so make sure you can do a few pull ups with ease. You will also need a strong grip as you will have to cling on to rope that is covered in mud while pulling yourself up it. Really strength isn't that much of an issue. It all boils down to your ability to preform after sprinting for 3 miles.

I trained with a lot of compound movements, I would recommend you start here as you say you have "No physical fitness" maybe start with a three day split. the classic pull/push/legs.
    Day 1 - Pull: back and biceps
    Day 2 - Rest
    Day 3 - Push: chest, shoulders and triceps
    Day 4 - Legs
    Mix that up however you feel most comfortable with. But i do recommend concentrating on big compound movements (Bench press, Deadlifts, Squats, Shoulder Press ect)

Okay back to the stamina side of the race, this is what will make or break you. I was stupid and didn't train stamina don't make the same mistake! Your legs will fill very quickly with lactic acid (i think that the right name?) (i had to run up and down a 40 degree hill 6 times right at the beginning). Make sure your body is used to this type of activity. If i could do this training again I would recommend cardio at the end of your training sessions, or even have a whole day for HIT training. Just basically anything you can do to improve your stamina.

I hope this helps, any other questions feel free to ask!

Adam

Evie000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Congrats on taking the first step to a healthier lifestyle, Dave. To start with, ease into a do able routine. Like Adam mentioned, start with 3 days a week and gradually build up to more. Cardio and interval training is key to do well with OCR. Incorporate some body weight exercise such as squats, lunges, push ups, and burpees. You don't need to have a gym membership or lots of equipment. Utilize your local park by using monkey bars. You will get there. I just finished my first Spartan Sprint last weekend and I can tell you there's nothing like it once you cross the finish line. The hardest part is waiting around for the next one. Good luck with your training!