Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BeefHat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BeefHat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BeefHat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BeefHat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BeefHat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BeefHat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BeefHat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BeefHat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Spartan Race 2012!!!

Theres a butt load of them all year around the world, Im registered for the Dec 8-9 "Beast Run" 12 miles of hell in Glen Rose, Texas. If anyone else is registering for that hmu I think it would be fun to get to know some of the community while having a little fun on the course.

http://www.spartanrace.com/

Also if you have done one of these before, tips on some things I will need to train on would be appreciated, this will be my first one.

HairyAssassin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) HairyAssassin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) HairyAssassin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) HairyAssassin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    offttt

HairyAssassin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) HairyAssassin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) HairyAssassin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) HairyAssassin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    sounds hella good

MarceloCosta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Bro you just got me fierd up for this! how will you train for it? tell us more!

BeefHat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BeefHat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BeefHat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BeefHat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BeefHat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BeefHat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BeefHat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BeefHat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Well Im not sure how Ill train but I need some helpers on that I know Im going to really need to work on my stamina and beef up the legs abit for 12 miles, I moved from a 4000 cal diet to a 5500 cal diet just because Im running/biking that much more now, god I hate how easy I lose weight

What I do know is Im hoping to group up with some of the community there, possibly keep in contact all year keeping up with how everyones training is going and what not. Also Im pretty sure this is a massive event, Im talking maybe 1-2k people participating? maybe more from what I hear! but correct me if Im wrong Iv never done one but cant wait!!! Being just almost 19 I got alot of energy to burn for this.

Thewix is just really nice. (+1000) Thewix is just really nice. (+1000) Thewix is just really nice. (+1000) Thewix is just really nice. (+1000) Thewix is just really nice. (+1000) Thewix is just really nice. (+1000) Thewix is just really nice. (+1000) Thewix is just really nice. (+1000) Thewix is just really nice. (+1000) Thewix is just really nice. (+1000) Thewix is just really nice. (+1000)
    I've done a super sprint spartan and finished 6th in my heat, 80th out of 2500, I could tell you my workout if you want?

Originally Posted by Thewix View Post
    I've done a super sprint spartan and finished 6th in my heat, 80th out of 2500, I could tell you my workout if you want?
    That would be awesome! Im going pretty hard since I have 300+ days to prepare. But Im still trying to keep my weight up to build mass seeing as BBing is my main focus, this is more of a "challenge" or "fun run" that Im taking moderately serious if you want to call it since I dont want to cut down on anything

Thewix is just really nice. (+1000) Thewix is just really nice. (+1000) Thewix is just really nice. (+1000) Thewix is just really nice. (+1000) Thewix is just really nice. (+1000) Thewix is just really nice. (+1000) Thewix is just really nice. (+1000) Thewix is just really nice. (+1000) Thewix is just really nice. (+1000) Thewix is just really nice. (+1000) Thewix is just really nice. (+1000)

My super sprint workout

Alright mate, this is my Spartan workout, I did it in 31:30 yesterday as a guide for you. I do this Monday, a 5 mile run on Wednesday and 3 mile interval sprints on Friday. Tuesday and Thursday I do two full body compound movement workouts with weights. You'll need to be good at pull ups on the race day.

So this was my race practice day on the Monday.

You will need a sit up mat and a 10kg weight near the running machine.
    Basically every 0.33 miles you pause the running machine and do the exercises shown.
    3.11 miles = 5 km
    Every 0.33 past the mile do one of the the following:
    Speed - whatever is comfortable (I do about 8 mph). Slope - 2 minimum as standard.

0.33 miles ----- 30 Burpees
    0.66 miles ----- 20 press ups and 20 v sit ups and 20 squat thrusts
    0.99 miles ----- Grab a 10kg weight and run until 1.33 miles
    1.33 miles ----- Drop weight and increase slope to 8 until 1.66 miles
    1.66 miles ----- Slope back to 2, pause and do 30 Burpess
    1.99 miles ----- 30 press ups and 30 split leg squats - 15 each leg
    2.33 miles ----- Grab a 10kg weight and run until 2.6 miles
    2.66 miles ----- Drop weight and increase slope to 8 until 2.99 miles
    2.99 miles ----- Reduce slope to 2 again.
    3.11 miles --- Finish

@Thewix

Thanks man your awesome!

Billyl100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    danm that looks intense

It's a good workout, combined with the interval sprints your max VO2 rockets. After the race I carried on with the sprints and started to see how quick I could do a mile, I got down to 5 minutes but couldn't do any better.

My training is going great! Ontop of a full leg workout I biked (on the machine of course ) 4miles in 30mins I forget how fast it said I was going though......My legs wanted to fall off after that.

hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Obstacle Race Training

WHen you are training for an obstacle race like Spartan Race, it is not enough to just run or just lift. To fully prepare yourself for race day, try training multiple energy systems in one workout.

Why? To take on a Spartan Race you have to be able to apply sufficient muscular strength to overcome an obstacle, and then utilize your cardiovascular base to navigate the course. All the while, you want to remain in control of you breathing and maintain a steady heart rate.

How? During a training session combine functional strength training exercises with interval based cardio. Kettlebell and/or bodyweight exercise paired with sprints will do the trick. Training in this manner will imitate the start and stop, strength and cardio transitions of the race.

Give this workout a try:

Warm-up:
    4 Rounds
    5x Alternate Lung (each Leg)
    10x BW Squat
    5x Lateral Lunge (each leg)

10 minutes of Easy Jog and Dynamic Movements: High-knees, Butt-kicks, Bounding, Reverse Run, etc.

Training:
    Run @ 400m
    25x KB Swing
    Run @ 400m
    50x Flutter kick
    Run @ 400m
    25x KB Thruster
    Run @ 400m
    50x Push-up

If possible repeat 3-5 times, and then cool down.

For more training resources specifically for obstacle athletes, check out racedaydomination.com/training.htm or email me, joe@hybridathlete.org

pillaybrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pillaybrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pillaybrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pillaybrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pillaybrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pillaybrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pillaybrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pillaybrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pillaybrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pillaybrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pillaybrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    wow thats intense

Diesel293 is just really nice. (+1000) Diesel293 is just really nice. (+1000) Diesel293 is just really nice. (+1000) Diesel293 is just really nice. (+1000) Diesel293 is just really nice. (+1000) Diesel293 is just really nice. (+1000) Diesel293 is just really nice. (+1000) Diesel293 is just really nice. (+1000) Diesel293 is just really nice. (+1000) Diesel293 is just really nice. (+1000) Diesel293 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Crazy training, best of luck.

JMoralez32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just finished the one down In Florida. I trained so hard for it and still wasn't as prepared as i thought I would be. Your endurance/stamina/cardio need to go up like 200%. They really screw with your head, which is great. It was a hell of a challenge, I am doing the 3.5 mile one in NY in June. My whole training process has changed. Good luck in dallas, it was a great time man, your gonna have a blast.

-J
    “Training for me is a metaphor for life, period. The dedication, the determination, the desire, the work ethic, the great successes and the great failures - I take that into life.”- Dwayne Johnson

tpuhl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wow that rocks!!

PecWorkouts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sounds Excellent
    http://www.pectoralexercises.biz/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=160MVPncuUQ&feature=colike
    http://www.pectoralexercises.biz/pectoral-workouts.html
    http://www.pectoralexercises.biz/pec-workouts.html

antmun is just really nice. (+1000) antmun is just really nice. (+1000) antmun is just really nice. (+1000) antmun is just really nice. (+1000) antmun is just really nice. (+1000) antmun is just really nice. (+1000) antmun is just really nice. (+1000) antmun is just really nice. (+1000) antmun is just really nice. (+1000) antmun is just really nice. (+1000) antmun is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up

A lot of good tips in this thread. I also just finished the Spartan in Miami. The way I trained for this race (and the Tough Mudder in November) was mostly interval, crossfit style workouts 2 or 3 X's a week. I also did one short run (3 miles) and one long run (around 7-9 miles) per week.

Here's a sample workout:

5 rounds for time:
    20 thrusters with 35 lb dumbells
    10 pullups
    800 meter run.

No breaks in between

Also, would modify the above workout with kettlebell swings or box jumps.

Good luck in the race OP. It is a really great time.

My training is coming along good my cardio still isnt where it nearly needs to be obviously and I was never much of a runner! but I got about 300 days to train till the day of Im workin hard and dieting as best I can I can definately see my gains though due to all the help seeing as Iv never done anything crossfit.....really appreciate all the help on the routines its doing me wonders. Im just curious to how itll turn out having bodybuilding ontop of these workouts lol Im doing my first comp in 6 months which will be a few months BEFORE the event....so who knows.

shanco_uw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by BeefHat View Post
    Theres a butt load of them all year around the world, Im registered for the Dec 8-9 "Beast Run" 12 miles of hell in Glen Rose, Texas. If anyone else is registering for that hmu I think it would be fun to get to know some of the community while having a little fun on the course.

Also if you have done one of these before, tips on some things I will need to train on would be appreciated, this will be my first one.
    These races are a blast, I started last year and did two One in Canada and One in Pennsylvania and absolutely love them. This year I am doing 7. The best advice to be prepare is to do a lot of body weight exercises (Chinups, push ups, burpes), lots of running and train on inclines because typically they are held at ski hills or other locations with steep inclines.

Anyone can do these races at any level of training. Slow and steady wins, do start off fast or you will burn out before the end!

If anyone wants 10% off enter "SHANCO" when registering!!

CarRamRod69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Sweet

Originally Posted by shanco_uw View Post
    These races are a blast, I started last year and did two One in Canada and One in Pennsylvania and absolutely love them. This year I am doing 7. The best advice to be prepare is to do a lot of body weight exercises (Chinups, push ups, burpes), lots of running and train on inclines because typically they are held at ski hills or other locations with steep inclines.

Anyone can do these races at any level of training. Slow and steady wins, do start off fast or you will burn out before the end!

If anyone wants 10% off enter "SHANCO" when registering!!
    I'll try that. I'll be doing the super Spartan at Cliff's Off-Road Park in Marseilles, Illinois. It'll be my first Spartan Race. I'm psyched & have plenty of time to train...more.
    Last year I did a double P90X (P180X) & I'm now in phase 3 of P90X2. Plenty of chin ups, pull ups, push ups & a half dozen different versions of burpes.
    Having a goal like a Spartan Race will help me focus.

MousePad is a name known to all. (+5000) MousePad is a name known to all. (+5000) MousePad is a name known to all. (+5000) MousePad is a name known to all. (+5000) MousePad is a name known to all. (+5000) MousePad is a name known to all. (+5000) MousePad is a name known to all. (+5000) MousePad is a name known to all. (+5000) MousePad is a name known to all. (+5000) MousePad is a name known to all. (+5000) MousePad is a name known to all. (+5000)
    hey i have a question.. a few of my friends are trying to get me to do the spartan "beast", the 12 mile run, 25+ obsticles... its in about 4 months, and i can barley run 2 miles without getting tired..

am i a lost cause? or do i have hope on still being able to do it?
    ** KNEE DRAGGERS UNITE **
    ++ Positive Crew ++

Originally Posted by MousePad View Post
    hey i have a question.. a few of my friends are trying to get me to do the spartan "beast", the 12 mile run, 25+ obsticles... its in about 4 months, and i can barley run 2 miles without getting tired..

am i a lost cause? or do i have hope on still being able to do it?
    Easy peasy.

Just progress like you would with weight lifting, except with running its easier to do it quicker ( you get fitter quicker than you grow muscle).

Just make sure you stretch a lot afterwards, quick progression of distance/ slope can result in runners knee.
    1k+

*minimalist crew*
    *experiences over possessions crew*
    *positive crew*

MousePad is a name known to all. (+5000) MousePad is a name known to all. (+5000) MousePad is a name known to all. (+5000) MousePad is a name known to all. (+5000) MousePad is a name known to all. (+5000) MousePad is a name known to all. (+5000) MousePad is a name known to all. (+5000) MousePad is a name known to all. (+5000) MousePad is a name known to all. (+5000) MousePad is a name known to all. (+5000) MousePad is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Thewix View Post
    Easy peasy.

Just progress like you would with weight lifting, except with running its easier to do it quicker ( you get fitter quicker than you grow muscle).

Just make sure you stretch a lot afterwards, quick progression of distance/ slope can result in runners knee.
    thanks for the reply, ill rep on r/c

Since i have never done anything like that or any type of long running I was unsure if it was possible to go from about 2 miles to 12 miles in 4 months. but i am sure if i stay motivated and positive i could do it.

Also, thank you for the knowledge of runners knee, without that and knowing me, i probably would have started out training hard hitting the slopes and not gradual because like i said i have very little knowledge about the sport of running"
    ++ Positive Crew ++

hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    To take on a Spartan Race be prepared to run over rolling hills scattered with military style obstacles, climb up and over walls and run through mud, fire and water. Create a Spartan Race training program includes running, strength training and race skills to dominate every obstacle along the way.

Run
    Complete at least 2 run workouts per week. Choose from run workouts that include a long run, hill sprints, intervals and tempo runs.

Strength
    Get ready to move your bodyweight over, under, around or through obstacles. Bodyweight exercises such as push-ups and pull-ups can be used to create a foundation of strength. Next, kettlebell swings and explosive movements like jump squats, burpees, and box jumps will help improve balance and leg strength.

Race Skills
    Combine strength and cardio training into one hybrid workout. When possible, workout outdoors or run on trails in a similar setting as the race. To train the skills that will help during the race pair running intervals or sled pushes with bodyweight or kettlebell exercises. If you are able to get your hands on oversized tires or weighted sandbags, this would be the time to flip, carry, or throw them around.

Try this workout:

Warm-up:
    2-4 Rounds
    5x Alternate Lung (each Leg)
    10x BW Squat
    5x Lateral Lunge (each leg)

5 minutes of easy Jog and dynamic movements: High-knees, Butt-kicks, Bounding, Reverse Run, etc.

Training:
    Run @ 400m
    25x KB Swing
    Run @ 400m
    Tire Flip @ 25 yards
    Run @ 400m
    25x KB Thruster
    Run @ 400m
    50x Push-up

Repeat 3-5 times, and then cool down.

check out www{dot}racedaydomination{dot}com or email me joe@hybridathlete.org for more obstacle race training tips
    Joe Vennare
    Hybrid Athlete

www.racedaydomination.com
    www.thehybridathlete.com
    www.kettlebellcardio.org

thanks for the reply and every ones input
    ++ Positive Crew ++

xEmilyx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xEmilyx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xEmilyx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xEmilyx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xEmilyx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xEmilyx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xEmilyx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xEmilyx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xEmilyx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xEmilyx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xEmilyx is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Oh I wanna do one in Miami this year! hey good luck on training
    I just say work on cardio.
    ^_^

thanks you too!

but i still have a long way of training ahead of me
    ++ Positive Crew ++

gmoney2012 is not very well liked. (-100) gmoney2012 is not very well liked. (-100) gmoney2012 is not very well liked. (-100) gmoney2012 is not very well liked. (-100) gmoney2012 is not very well liked. (-100) gmoney2012 is not very well liked. (-100) gmoney2012 is not very well liked. (-100) gmoney2012 is not very well liked. (-100) gmoney2012 is not very well liked. (-100) gmoney2012 is not very well liked. (-100) gmoney2012 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Does anybody know how easy it is to sneak into another start time (that's on the same day as your assigned start time)?

My friend is starting at 10am and I could only get into a 1pm slot and they wouldn't let me switch. Would it be possible for me to sneak in the 10am time? It seemed pretty easy to go whenever in Tough Mudder, but I don't know how Spartan Beast will be.