Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

D3Baseball reviews several Quest bars!

Quest Bar

I've gotten increasingly interested in meal replacement supplementation. As my name suggests, I am a college baseball player and I find myself traveling for several days a week at times during the season. It is extremely difficult to get enough nutrition and particularly difficult to get quality nutrition in the world of bus travel, fast food joints, and gas stations. I am also following a very exacting class schedule that often leads me to missing/condensing meals in the interest of time. While there are several great protein/carb powders out there to support my situation, that doesn't quite do it. At some point, you want something solid in your stomach. It is more satisfying and just feels better. This leads me to protein bars.

Drawbacks of protein bars:

- Cost, especially cost per protein
    - Excess sugars/wasted calories
    - Low protein totals
    - Poor protein sources (hydrolyzed collagen)
    - Poor taste
    - Presence of abundant, artificial sugar alcohols, causing stomach upset
    - Some are sensitive to heat, chocolatey messes

Those are personal things. Some of you may have other pet peeves and/or preferences.

When you're doing your due diligence on protein/meal replacement bars, all roads lead back to Quest. They're amassing a huge following and at the surface, it seems to be for good reason. Their nutrition and ingredient choice is off the charts. Let's talk about some of the stuff you're going to recognize ostensibly as huge strengths of both their lines:
    - 20g of whey/milk protein isolate
    - 18g of high quality fiber
    - Miniscule amounts of non-fiber carbs and sugars (no more than 6g in any flavor)
    - Low calorie total (160-210)
    - Competitive price ~$2 per bar (when bought in boxed sets)

Quest has recently started a new, all-natural line of bars. They will maintain their original line as well. What are the few, minimal differences between lines?
    - Natural uses all natural ingredients, including no artificial sweeteners
    - The original line uses sucralose as a sweetener, which is proven safe in clinical study and arguably tastes better stand-alone.
    - Natural has begun using erythritol, a natural sugar alcohol, in place of sucralose

We need to talk about erythritol and differentiate it from other sugar alcohols. I'm going to quote About.com for your unbiased info:
    Erythritol is the sugar alcohol (polyol) that has the least impact on blood sugar. Erythritol has almost zero calories, carbs, and glycemic index. The reason is a bit different that most sugar alcohols, which are only partially absorbed in the small intestine. Most (60-90%) of the erythritol is absorbed into the blood, but is then excreted in the urine. Because of this, erythritol tends to produce much less intestinal distress than other sugar alcohols.
    This is important because I knocked sugar alcohols, like the common sorbitol, earlier. Not only does erythritol have an almost non-existent glycemic index just like sucralose, it is not known to cause stomach distress.

Therefore, I see no reason personally to view either line differently. I will simply choose to buy or not buy based on flavors that I like.

That may seem like a high fiber count (18 grams) and you might be wondering where the fiber comes from. All of the fiber comes from i****lto-oligosaccharide, which is an unusual source. First, does i****lto-oligosaccharide work like we want fiber to work? Here's a quote from the conclusion of a study from men taking 10g daily:
    Consumption of IO effectively improved bowel movement, stool output and microbial fermentation in the colon without any adverse effect observed in this study. Therefore, supplementation of IO into ordinary low fiber diets may be practical in relieving constipation in the elderly population.
    I'm going to extrapolate that claim to the general population, like us . Moreover, i****lto-oligosaccharide is a prebiotic. This means it will help your GI tract cultivate more healthy bacteria to aid in digestive. The above study confirmed that as well. Another cool feature is that it has been shown to cause less flatulence (you know, farting) than other fiber sources. As a matter of fact, it is said that you should feel no side effects of fiber intake at levels as high as 40 grams. Even past that, we're talking about side effects of pooping more, farting more. The final feature of this fiber is that it also acts a sweetener, enhancing the flavor of the product.

The combination of quality ingredients in Quest is simply unmatched. In many competitors, you'll be happy to see 1 or 2 of the positive features of Quest at best. I want to give cliffs, here:
    - Relatively high protein content (20g/bar)
    - Strong protein source (whey/milk isolate)
    - Low calories (160-210 cals/bar)
    - Low sugars/total carbs (2-6g/bar)
    - High fiber content (18g/bar)
    - Great fiber source
    - Great sweetener use (sucralose/erythritol)
    - No harmful sugar alcohol content

There may be things that the reader is looking for that don't mean as much to me. For instance, some are averse to artificial sweeteners. As we know, they can happily stick with the natural line.

There is just one unknown in this entire equation...TASTE

I'm going to be reviewing that over the next few posts...

Lastly, but not least, THANK YOU to UncleWade and Quest for the samples!

Last edited by D3Baseball; 01-19-2012 at 06:06 PM.
    However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results - Dr. John Berardi

Average Supplement User ScivationLead's Avatar
    ScivationLead has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ScivationLead has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ScivationLead has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ScivationLead has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ScivationLead has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ScivationLead has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ScivationLead has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ScivationLead has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ScivationLead has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ScivationLead has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ScivationLead has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    In! Looks like someone did their research!
    Nutrabolt Lead Company Rep

Now North of Westside UncleWade's Avatar
    UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Man, this is absolutely fantastic.

This is probably the most in-depth review that I've ever seen, and you really do a good job of outlining what I feel are the distinct benefits of the Quest line.

I look forward to seeing your opinions on the taste - which, in my opinion, is perhaps the strongest point. And, you have Apple Pie and Cinnamon Roll, two of my favorites.
    NOV || Ohio Chapter || Be more, have less.

Powered by Ben & Jerry's.

Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Sweet! I love baseball btw. My dad still plays old man baseball. Lol. We live in the home of the college world series and are yet to go.
    Awesome review on my fav bars so far!
    Last edited by Sawa3; 01-18-2012 at 01:25 PM.
    Sarah- NASM CPT

Weighed 245 LBS after having 2nd child in April 2006
    BodPod Results:
    August '09 33.7% Body Fat at 178 lbs & down to 22.9% body fat at 151 lbs in September '11

Average Supplement User ScivationLead's Avatar
    ScivationLead has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ScivationLead has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ScivationLead has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ScivationLead has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ScivationLead has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ScivationLead has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ScivationLead has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ScivationLead has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ScivationLead has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ScivationLead has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ScivationLead has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Sawa3 View Post
    Awesome require on my fab bars so far!
    Once again dear, I strongly encourage you to use the spellcheck function on your phone.
    Nutrabolt Lead Company Rep

neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You're my hero, NoExcuses brah.

Really though, your reviews are on point. Looking forward to these as well as... most everything you review.

jcmoney99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jcmoney99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jcmoney99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jcmoney99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jcmoney99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jcmoney99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jcmoney99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jcmoney99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jcmoney99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jcmoney99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jcmoney99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Great review so far, really indepth. I've been wanting to pull the trigger on a couple of boxes, but can't decide on what flavor. Hopefully your review will help me decide.
    Current Supps:

DS Craze
    Allmax Creatine
    iForce Hemavol

UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) UncleWade has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by jcmoney99 View Post
    Great review so far, really indepth. I've been wanting to pull the trigger on a couple of boxes, but can't decide on what flavor. Hopefully your review will help me decide.
    Each and every flavor of the Natural line is absolutely delicious. As far as the original line is concerned, my favorites are Chocolate Brownie and Apple Pie (especially when microwaved).

Powered by Ben & Jerry's.

Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by AFdave View Post
    Once again dear, I strongly encourage you to use the spellcheck function on your phone.
    Better hun? Stinking auto correct and being in a hurry
    Sarah- NASM CPT

Weighed 245 LBS after having 2nd child in April 2006
    BodPod Results:
    August '09 33.7% Body Fat at 178 lbs & down to 22.9% body fat at 151 lbs in September '11

D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) D3Baseball is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    In! Looks like someone did their research!
    I always do when it comes to something I'm thinking about spending my money on

Originally Posted by UncleWade View Post
    Man, this is absolutely fantastic.

This is probably the most in-depth review that I've ever seen, and you really do a good job of outlining what I feel are the distinct benefits of the Quest line.

I look forward to seeing your opinions on the taste - which, in my opinion, is perhaps the strongest point. And, you have Apple Pie and Cinnamon Roll, two of my favorites.
    no spoilers but...you and I might have similar palates

Sweet! I love baseball btw. My dad still plays old man baseball. Lol. We live in the home of the college world series and are yet to go.
    Awesome review on my fav bars so far!
    Men's leagues are awesome for people that love the game and wanna stay active. The CWS is always an exciting time of year, the only time of year anyone pays attention to amateur baseball.

lol

Originally Posted by neddo View Post
    You're my hero, NoExcuses brah.

Really though, your reviews are on point. Looking forward to these as well as... most everything you review.
    Shameless plug. This review in its entirety will end up on my blog.

Originally Posted by jcmoney99 View Post
    I hope I can help!

Better hun? Stinking auto correct and being in a hurry
    lol
    However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results - Dr. John Berardi

sloop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sloop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sloop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sloop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sloop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sloop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sloop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sloop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sloop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sloop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sloop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Aww yeah. Applie pie and cinnamon roll.

Try half at room temperature and the other half microwaved for 10 seconds for maximum fapability.

Cinnamon Roll

Quest All-Natural Cinnamon Roll

I was attracted to this first, because this is definitely my favorite real-life dessert of the flavors I was sent.

Cracking open the wrapper, I did not detect any scent. Not that this matters to me, but some people do want to know that. I should also note that I've broken my nose 3 times and my ability to smell is incredibly hit and miss.

I honestly think the look of the bar is a little odd. Hard to describe, but it may remind you of Powerbars. The difference you find is that these are actually edible Since I can't describe it, I have a picture for you:

As inspired by sloop's review and the recommendation on the packaging, I tried it out of the wrapper and after 15 seconds of microwaving. Out of the wrapper it is probably more filling, but it is by no means tough or overly chewy. While it looks kind of like taffy in the picture, it is in effect nothing of the sort. After microwaving, it is just the best stuff ever. Very pleasant cinnamon taste, not overly sweet. The ratio of cinnamon to sweetness to doughiness is comparable, to me, like the oatmeal I make with cinnamon and splenda for sweetening. I actually think the taste could be accurately compared to a snickerdoodle cookie, just as the texture after microwaving.

Just delicious, really. Unique from your regular protein bar and really anything else I've eaten. Definitely on par with a legit dessert food though, seriously. It would be a tough choice between a snickerdoodle cookie and this Quest bar. If you threw in the variable of the microwave being available, I think it may be an easy choice in favor of the Quest Cinnamon Roll on taste alone.

Needless to say, this is the best tasting protein bar I've ever had. On one hand I thought it seemed not too heavy while eating, which makes it pleasant to eat. However, I feared it would not be filling. Alas, after a few minutes of eating, I felt extremely physically satiated. It lasted hours, honestly. I did crumble to the emotional hunger for more Quest, though, and you will see the next flavor before long today.

Quest Apple Pie!

I chose this bar, again, based on my preference for real apple pie.

The look and feel of this bar is rather similar to the cinnamon roll bar. One notable difference that you'll see is chunks of "something" in there. I believe these are in fact real pieces of apple, which turns out to be a great touch. Adds a light crunch and adds to the flavor of the bar as well.

Again, I first ate the bar out of the wrapper, then proceeded to microwave for 15 seconds and ate the rest of it. I think this bar tastes better than cinnamon roll when both are just taken out of the wrapper. While this one was still improved by the microwave, it doesn't quite reach the level of cinnamon roll for me when both are microwaved.

It is harder to pin down what this flavor is, as there isn't a conveniently flavored cookie to compare it to. I think there is a very sweet pie crust-ness to it, with an underlying fruity flavor throughout. The apple chunks add some subtle fruit tartness as well. It was a unique flavor and I think Quest hit it very spot on. At this point, I would probably buy this flavor, given the ones I've tasted.

This was indistinguishable from cinnamon roll from a satiety standpoint, as expected. After having both in a short time, I felt full for about 6 hours. I ate dinner out of a sense of obligation, but could have comfortably skipped it if I liked. I like that about these Quest bars so far - I feel full enough that I need not eat, but not uncomfortably full so that I am unable to eat. Very nice balance achieved for me. My guess is that the high fiber content is to thank for this.

To affirm how much I've liked these flavors, I'd like to tell everyone that I've gone ahead and purchased some chocolate brownie flavored bars as well. If they hit that as well as they've hit these, I may lose my mind. Brownies are easily my favorite dessert. I will probably review chocolate brownie on Friday, provided that they've arrived by then.

Self proclaimed sorcerer Bnizzle163's Avatar
    Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Very detailed review. Wait till you try the pb chocolate .
    *Professional comic book geek* *semi-pro cartoon collector* *full time nerd*

My Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166076501

Contact me for coaching/contest prep/nutritional services: WRyan163@yahoo.com

IG: @Bnizzle163

This is still awesome.

Glad to see your first two flavors didn't disappoint.