sjc0816 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sjc0816 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sjc0816 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sjc0816 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sjc0816 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sjc0816 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sjc0816 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sjc0816 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sjc0816 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sjc0816 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

IT Band Problems :(

I have ongoing issues with my IT Band/knee. I basically have a chronically tight IT band that gets exacerbated every time I really start to go heavy on lower body workouts. Right now I can't squat at all because my knee is flaring. Step ups and lunges are out too. This seems to happen every year....then I back off the weights, go back to body weight exercises and light single-leg light leg presses, ham curls, band work (really activating glutes and strengthening my posterior chain)....and keep up the foam rolling/dynamic stretching and it gets better.

Am I doomed to never be able to go heavy on legs? This makes me really sad....but I've been battling this painful issue for years now and I'm getting sick of trying. I've been through PT already and incorporate the exercises/rolling/stretching into every workout....but as soon as I try to up the weight, the pain comes back.

Does anyone have any advice? I'm starting to think I'm not built for squats and lunges. I'm 5'9" but my legs are so long...my hips are really narrow. Not sure if this has anything to do with it.

I'd love to hear any advice/tips. Feeling discouraged and in pain right now!

wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Two words for you:

FOAM ROLLER

EDIT: just seen you said you already roll. How much do you do? Do you do it religiously? Does it alter the pain when you change your stance for example?

sjc0816 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sjc0816 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sjc0816 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sjc0816 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sjc0816 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sjc0816 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sjc0816 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sjc0816 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sjc0816 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sjc0816 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I roll after every workout....but when its flaring I roll 3x per day. That is a LOT of rolling and its hard to keep up....especially with two little boys at home who try to wrestle me every time I'm rolling around on that thing. I ALWAYS roll after my leg workouts....and it helps, but only until I start going heavy on legs....then things really start to tighten up and hurt. Then the rolling only helps maybe 50%.

Not sure what you mean about changing my stance. Are you talking about squats? I have to have my legs wider than shoulder length to even accomplish a squat. But it doesn't prevent the IT pain once I up the weight.

wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by sjc0816 View Post
    I roll after every workout....but when its flaring I roll 3x per day. That is a LOT of rolling and its hard to keep up....especially with two little boys at home who try to wrestle me every time I'm rolling around on that thing. I ALWAYS roll after my leg workouts....and it helps, but only until I start going heavy on legs....then things really start to tighten up and hurt. Then the rolling only helps maybe 50%.

Not sure what you mean about changing my stance. Are you talking about squats? I have to have my legs wider than shoulder length to even accomplish a squat. But it doesn't prevent the IT pain once I up the weight.
    Fair one, that's a lot of rolling. Sports massage perhaps? Get deeper into the pain? How's your knee cap alignment? Do they crunch at all? What's your inner thigh strength like? Racking my brain.... my ITB used to flare up when I ran then go away after 15-20mins. Can you squat with your feet shoulder width or less apart? Maybe try that and work up again see if it gives you the same grief (front squats work well for this).

Originally Posted by wakechica View Post
    Fair one, that's a lot of rolling. Sports massage perhaps? Get deeper into the pain? How's your knee cap alignment? Do they crunch at all? What's your inner thigh strength like? Racking my brain.... my ITB used to flare up when I ran then go away after 15-20mins. Can you squat with your feet shoulder width or less apart? Maybe try that and work up again see if it gives you the same grief (front squats work well for this).

I wish I could afford a sports massage once or twice a month. Its not in the budget right now...but could be down the road. I have extremely tight muscles in my legs. This is what makes it really difficult for me to squat with my feet shoulder width apart...I always lean too far forward. I do dynamic stretches and warm-ups always beforehand. It helps, but still a problem. I also have always had a problem with glute strength/glutes firing enough to support my weight when squatting with a more narrow stance. I am ALWAYS working on this....but its not solving my IT band issues.

My knees have always crunched, too. The crunching doesn't produce pain, until my IT band flares....then the right knee pops constantly (IT Band crossing over my knee cap - SNAP)....and hurts.

Thanks for your help

jillybeansalad will become famous soon enough. (+50) jillybeansalad will become famous soon enough. (+50) jillybeansalad will become famous soon enough. (+50) jillybeansalad will become famous soon enough. (+50) jillybeansalad will become famous soon enough. (+50) jillybeansalad will become famous soon enough. (+50) jillybeansalad will become famous soon enough. (+50) jillybeansalad will become famous soon enough. (+50) jillybeansalad will become famous soon enough. (+50) jillybeansalad will become famous soon enough. (+50) jillybeansalad will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've read that a couple causes are inflexibility and/or lack of strength in the abs/lower back. I've struggled with it as well, but it's usually from running crazy trails and increasing my mileage too quickly.

The best thing I've found for managing it is a knee brace/ring that goes about 1 -2 inches above the knee.
    http://www.ithacasports.com/ilbaitba.html
    ☣ Off Season Preparations ☢

"Baywatch boobs would probably throw off my game. But sometimes they look like fun." -Gabrielle Reece
    ☆ Tattoos, spice, and bruises on ice; that is what derby girls are made of. ✯

"loosing weight" = the weight is loose and will run free, not sure if that's good for the environment though... stray fat everywhere.

Originally Posted by sjc0816 View Post
    I wish I could afford a sports massage once or twice a month. Its not in the budget right now...but could be down the road. I have extremely tight muscles in my legs. This is what makes it really difficult for me to squat with my feet shoulder width apart...I always lean too far forward. I do dynamic stretches and warm-ups always beforehand. It helps, but still a problem. I also have always had a problem with glute strength/glutes firing enough to support my weight when squatting with a more narrow stance. I am ALWAYS working on this....but its not solving my IT band issues.

My knees have always crunched, too. The crunching doesn't produce pain, until my IT band flares....then the right knee pops constantly (IT Band crossing over my knee cap - SNAP)....and hurts.

Thanks for your help
    WRT sports massages... I saved up and had 4 1hr sessions. Cost a bomb but it was worth it, I haven't needed any since. I had them all done in a month. I was surprised how tight i was and how much crap was in my muscles (I had stomach problems the day after the first one despite glugging gallons of water). However I felt a lot loser and my ITB hasn't flared up at all since and I've been running harder. I was also suffering with a quick lactic acid build up when running and getting tight and this has gone too. I'm going to aim for one or two every 3-4 months now just to keep me ticking over.

Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I find I need to foam roll before rather than after I train (though I do both). Also, seeing a myotherapist even for 1 or 2 sessions can make a big difference!

aspenleigh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aspenleigh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aspenleigh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aspenleigh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aspenleigh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aspenleigh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aspenleigh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aspenleigh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aspenleigh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aspenleigh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aspenleigh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I had IT band problems when I was training for a marathon and it got so painful that I had to totally drop my training and rest. I did go (and still do) to a Wellness Chiropractor and he would put INTENSE pressure on my IT Band. It hurt so bad I felt like crying!!! I went to him for about a year and a half and he would push along that band on my leg when it got tight. I haven't had problems with it recently. I also had weak hips and back so it makes sense what jillybeansalad said above also. So sorry you're in pain!! *Hugs* to you and I hope that you can find something that works so you can get relief!!

trae15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trae15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trae15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trae15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trae15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trae15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trae15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trae15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trae15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trae15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trae15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

it band

I also had knee problems due to tight IT band and hamstrings....
    My PT intructed me to use a dog leash by lying flat putting foot through the handle of the leash and stretching each leg cross ways (holding 30 seconds, 3 sets, each leg).
    Also by stretching the hamstrings. All the muscles were so tight they were pulling opposite on the knee...
    Try it, it may help.

(remember to keep your leg completely straight though to get a thorough stretch) My flexibility improved substantially in about 2 weeks.