soloha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) soloha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) soloha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) soloha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) soloha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) soloha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) soloha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) soloha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) soloha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) soloha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) soloha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Wendler 5/3/1 assist exercise choices?

Wendler recommends a four way split once a week using the base exercises built on the standing shoulder press, deadlift, bench press, squat, supplementing each with two assistant exercises . I like the "triumvirate" example he uses for assistant excercises. These are the assistant exercises I was thinking about. The resulting workout would look like this. Anyone see any problems with my choices? Thanks in advance for any feedback - even if its not positive.

workout 1:
    standing shoulder press
    dip
    chin-up

workout 2:
    deadlift
    romainian deadlift (Wendlers example uses good mornings, which seem really similar in mechanics to me)
    calf press (Wendler has leg raises here; I don't really do much stomach work as the core lifts seem to work it plenty)

workout 3:
    bench press
    dumbbell incline press (Wendlers example uses flat)
    kroc rows

workout 4:
    squat
    leg press
    leg curl
    Last edited by soloha; 01-31-2012 at 10:48 PM. Reason: fixed vague sentence

DerekStauffer is on a distinguished road. (+10) DerekStauffer is on a distinguished road. (+10) DerekStauffer is on a distinguished road. (+10) DerekStauffer is on a distinguished road. (+10) DerekStauffer is on a distinguished road. (+10) DerekStauffer is on a distinguished road. (+10) DerekStauffer is on a distinguished road. (+10) DerekStauffer is on a distinguished road. (+10) DerekStauffer is on a distinguished road. (+10) DerekStauffer is on a distinguished road. (+10) DerekStauffer is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Looks good in my opinion. I wouldn't do the good mornings either I hurt my back doing them while doing them when I went to heavy. Always heard bad things about them really perfect form exercises which scare me it's also the exercise that bruce lee hurt his back on really bad (in his bio movie it was made to believe he was hurt in a fight).

JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Looks good, I wish everyone understood the PROPER way to substitute exercises into a program!

Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Looks good. Agree with taking GM's very slowly and carefully, don't be a hero here. Consider front squats over the leg press. Front squats will reinforce back squat mechanics it done properly. Leg press could introduce bad habits carried over to the squat. Also, give yourself a couple of cycles to evaluate this plan before you go willy nilly and change everything up.
    We don't rise to the occasion, we fall to our level of training.

I was born a shotgun in my hands. Behind the gun I'll make my final stand and that's why they call me Bad Company

Sensible Liberals for Trump 2016 Crew

soloha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) soloha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) soloha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) soloha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) soloha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) soloha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) soloha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) soloha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) soloha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) soloha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) soloha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Bumpus View Post
    Looks good. Agree with taking GM's very slowly and carefully, don't be a hero here. Consider front squats over the leg press. Front squats will reinforce back squat mechanics it done properly. Leg press could introduce bad habits carried over to the squat. Also, give yourself a couple of cycles to evaluate this plan before you go willy nilly and change everything up.
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I've never really liked leg presses personally, but don't know that many alternatives to the back squat. I was thinking about one legged dumbbell squats, but I'm all for improving form. I didn't know front squats helped back squat mechanics. I'll give them a go for a while. Learning everyday ... Thanks!

mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i like where your head's at.. if you want some fun, try front squats 5x10 after deads and switch the rdl to squat day in place of the curls.. not imperative but a nice change..
    {{**DIRTY SOUTH CREW**}}

Strength Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141019611&p=806856321#post806856321

Drive/Uncut Review:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158011943