Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BabyBack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Whey and a mass gainer?

First of all don't flame me too hard because i'm a noob, but I was curious about buying a weight gainer. I already take protein and I was wondering if my one shake a day plus the recommended 2 shakes of weight gainer would be hard on my liver/kidneys.

yaz_rulz is a name known to all. (+5000) yaz_rulz is a name known to all. (+5000) yaz_rulz is a name known to all. (+5000) yaz_rulz is a name known to all. (+5000) yaz_rulz is a name known to all. (+5000) yaz_rulz is a name known to all. (+5000) yaz_rulz is a name known to all. (+5000) yaz_rulz is a name known to all. (+5000) yaz_rulz is a name known to all. (+5000) yaz_rulz is a name known to all. (+5000) yaz_rulz is a name known to all. (+5000)
    in your whey protein, add banana/other fruits, even dry fruits, peanut butter, milk, oats etc. > weight gainer
    AMC

The only real natty bodybuilder that I know for sure is me! :)

Ya just find it hard to eat all those cals in one day, I thought this might help.

xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Just stick with your whey protein. IF you want to gain weight it is simple, eat more. Gaining weight comes from one thing...a caloric surplus intake. So start adding calories in your diet, watch the scale, your body and make adjustments

It is easy to get calories in. Thing like Natty Peanut Butter, Nuts, and Olive oil are very quick and easy non filling foods to jack the calories up
    Type 1 Diabetic - Since age 15
    Luke 1:37 "For NOTHING is impossible with God"

INSTAGRAM: StevenGFH Follow me!

*ALLMAX NUTRITION REP*

ALLMAX Nutrition, Inc.
    SCIENCE - INNOVATION - QUALITY - RESULTS
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/all/all.htm

Disclaimer: All forum or bulletin board posts are solely the opinion of myself and do not necessarily reflect the views of ALLMAX

UNCnate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) UNCnate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) UNCnate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) UNCnate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) UNCnate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) UNCnate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) UNCnate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) UNCnate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) UNCnate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) UNCnate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) UNCnate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by BabyBack View Post
    First of all don't flame me too hard because i'm a noob, but I was curious about buying a weight gainer. I already take protein and I was wondering if my one shake a day plus the recommended 2 shakes of weight gainer would be hard on my liver/kidneys.
    If you want to get a gainer, go for it. It's not the end of the world just keep in mind the sugar content of most of them. Also keep in mind that whole food is always > protein you drink. If you want to ever be serious about results, you'll have to iron out your diet and learn to like the calorie dense foods that were already mentioned.
    UNCnate@gmail.com, B.Sc, ASCM CPT

Airstrike4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Airstrike4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Airstrike4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Airstrike4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Airstrike4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Airstrike4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Airstrike4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Airstrike4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Airstrike4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Airstrike4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Airstrike4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I already take protein and I was wondering if my one shake a day plus the recommended 2 shakes of weight gainer would be hard on my liver/kidneys.
    while you are getting good advice here, a little more info directly related to your question...

pre-made weight gainers are not typically either a good value nor nutritionally dense.
    however, that does not mean you cannot use a whey + weight gainer if you so desire. there is no fear of "too much protein" being hard on your liver or kidneys.

person101 is a name known to all. (+5000) person101 is a name known to all. (+5000) person101 is a name known to all. (+5000) person101 is a name known to all. (+5000) person101 is a name known to all. (+5000) person101 is a name known to all. (+5000) person101 is a name known to all. (+5000) person101 is a name known to all. (+5000) person101 is a name known to all. (+5000) person101 is a name known to all. (+5000) person101 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    OP there is no point in buying a weight gainer imo. Their is only like 10-15 servings per 5lb tub if you use it as they direct. A serving size on a weight gainer is usually 3+ scoops. Just add some oats, fruit, and peanut butter to your protein shake.

Thanks for all the help

SamJorgensen91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SamJorgensen91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SamJorgensen91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SamJorgensen91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SamJorgensen91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SamJorgensen91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SamJorgensen91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SamJorgensen91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SamJorgensen91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SamJorgensen91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SamJorgensen91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Whey for a post workout and a weight gainer just to get those extra calories in you throughout the day is a great idea. Just still youre going to obviously have to eat, but I disagree that they arent a good value because when combined with a solid routine and diet, the extra protein and calories do make a difference.

blucavvy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blucavvy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blucavvy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blucavvy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blucavvy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blucavvy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blucavvy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blucavvy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blucavvy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blucavvy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blucavvy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    store bought weight gainers ARE a waist of money. make your own with all the ingredients already mentioned, you will save a lot of money when compared to a store bought gainer, and it will be healthier.

some other ingredients to think about are greek yogurt, olive oil, whole milk, and even a scoop of ice cream, i think my gainer is somewhere right around 800-900 calories. tastes better and is cheaper than any store bought gainer.
    Current Stack

NOW Creatine Mono
    Smart Powders Whey Protein
    Universal Animal Rage
    Controlled Labs GlycerGrow
    Max Muscle Men's Multivitamin
    Natures Bounty Fish Oil
    SNS Focus XT (for class days)

PR_Guy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PR_Guy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PR_Guy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PR_Guy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PR_Guy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PR_Guy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PR_Guy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PR_Guy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PR_Guy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PR_Guy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PR_Guy has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    OP as other suggested it's better to eat whole food than shakes and/or weight gainer. That being said I had taken both and saw no negative effect, reason for me doing it was work/convenience. It is hard working in a close environment for 8-12 hours a day. But someone has to help keep our military personnel training at its best

Airstrike4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Airstrike4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Airstrike4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Airstrike4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Airstrike4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Airstrike4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Airstrike4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Airstrike4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Airstrike4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Airstrike4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Airstrike4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by SamJorgensen91 View Post
    I disagree that weight gainers arent a good value because when combined with a solid routine and diet, the extra protein and calories do make a difference.
    explain yourself.
    tell me how this makes something a "good value" (versus other options.)
    what does "value" mean to you?

SamJorgensen91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SamJorgensen91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SamJorgensen91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SamJorgensen91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SamJorgensen91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SamJorgensen91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SamJorgensen91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SamJorgensen91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SamJorgensen91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SamJorgensen91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SamJorgensen91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Airstrike4 View Post
    explain yourself.
    tell me how this makes something a "good value" (versus other options.)
    what does "value" mean to you?
    A weight gainer by itself wont make you gain weight, but what supplement by itself is going to improve anyone? You obviously have to have other things under control, and then when you add the weight gaining protein use that to give you an extra bit of calories in your day. For certain people, those extra calories do make a difference because for whatever reason, they are having a difficult time gaining weight and when you add the weight gainer, it will help you see progress. On the current weight gainer Im on, Ive put on about a pound a week this month. To me, thats value. I spent about 35 dollars on the 5 pound container of weight gaining protein I have, and Ive gained 4 pounds and still have some left. To me, thats value, because overtime, it can make a difference.

GymMeathead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GymMeathead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GymMeathead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GymMeathead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GymMeathead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GymMeathead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GymMeathead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GymMeathead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GymMeathead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GymMeathead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GymMeathead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I stack a weight gainer and protein shake together. Its not bad for you, and if your trying to gain weight, it WILL help. It cant hurt you, can only make you crap more =P

Originally Posted by gymmeathead View Post
    i stack a weight gainer and protein shake together. Its not bad for you, and if your trying to gain weight, it will help. It cant hurt you, can only make you crap more =p
    thank you!!!

I spent about 35 dollars on the 5 pound container of weight gaining protein I have, and Ive gained 4 pounds and still have some left. To me, thats value, because overtime, it can make a difference.
    okay. t/y for explaining your idea of value.

value to most ppl means "bang for the buck", or the best way to spend your money on a certain endeavor.

value is lacking in most all weight gainers, because you are simply paying too much for "food"..
    you are also paying for substandard nutrition and empty calories as well (maltodextrin/sugar/fillers/etc).

even at $7/lb, do the math on how many servings you are getting out of each 5lb jug.

on a "cost per serving" level, you may find that what you think is a good value, is actually entirely the opposite.

you can get much better sources of nutrients with your own additives to your whey protein, and you can do so for much cheaper.

GymMeathead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GymMeathead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GymMeathead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GymMeathead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GymMeathead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GymMeathead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GymMeathead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GymMeathead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GymMeathead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GymMeathead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GymMeathead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    thank you!!!
    No problem. I was always trying to gain weight my whole life so I have a lot of experience with weight gainers and protein shakes.

This is what I'm using now, it will help pack on pounds.

Weight gainer- Russian Bear (5,000 calories, 300g protein)
    Protein shake- Carnivore (for easy beef protein)

I go a little overboard with my protein, but thats what you gotta do to get big.

If you think your eating enough, YOUR NOT. No one eats enough. Food is a big part in gaining weight. Dont have your weight gainer or protein shake until you are full off of food. I ONLY drink shakes when I have a full stomach. Its easy to down a shake after you eat, its hard to down a shake and then eat.

Originally Posted by blucavvy View Post
    store bought weight gainers ARE a waist of money. make your own with all the ingredients already mentioned, you will save a lot of money when compared to a store bought gainer, and it will be healthier.

some other ingredients to think about are greek yogurt, olive oil, whole milk, and even a scoop of ice cream, i think my gainer is somewhere right around 800-900 calories. tastes better and is cheaper than any store bought gainer.
    Weight gainers are not a waste of money. Try Russian Bear. It has 5,000 calories and 300g of protein. There is no way you can make that homemade.

Originally Posted by GymMeathead View Post
    Try Russian Bear. It has 5,000 calories and 300g of protein. There is no way you can make that homemade.
    sure you can make that homemade..what a ridiculous statement you make.
    just because YOU may not know how, does not mean it cannot be done.

and let's look at that product you mention.
    5 scoops is 2600cals. 184g protein. 391g carbs.
    carbs come from cheap sources (maltodextrin, dextrose)
    so, you get ~3 servings in each 4lb jug.

all of this..
    for the wonderfully low, low price of $24.99 here on bb.com
    that's $8.33 ~ serving, for low-quality nutrition.

fascinating.

Kinda still lifts Valhallabound86's Avatar
    Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Weight gainers are not a waste of money. Try Russian Bear. It has 5,000 calories and 300g of protein. There is no way you can make that homemade.
    A. No it doesn't. That's the caloric/protein with the gallon of whole milk, which adds 2400 calories and ~108g of protein.
    B. You're paying $25/3 servings, which is ridiculous by any standpoint.
    C. Adding peanut butter, olive oil, bananas, whey powder, and whole milk to reach those caloric values is MUCH better, and far cheaper.
    D. Not many people need 5k calories for a bulk, it's overkill.

Spend your money on gainers if you want, but they're expensive and typically loaded with low-quality protein. One of the most oversold products on the supplement market.

Originally Posted by Valhallabound86 View Post
    A. No it doesn't. That's the caloric/protein with the gallon of whole milk, which adds 2400 calories and ~108g of protein.
    B. You're paying $25/3 servings, which is ridiculous by any standpoint.
    C. Adding peanut butter, olive oil, bananas, whey powder, and whole milk to reach those caloric values is MUCH better, and far cheaper.
    D. Not many people need 5k calories for a bulk, it's overkill.

Spend your money on gainers if you want, but they're expensive and typically loaded with low-quality protein. One of the most oversold products on the supplement market.
    I was one of those people that couldnt gain weight. Didnt matter what I took. Russian bear has helped me, and I know it can help other people like me. There are people out there that CANT gain weight. Overkill is the only option, and it works. Just sharing my experience.

Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I was one of those people that couldnt gain weight. Didnt matter what I took. Russian bear has helped me, and I know it can help other people like me. There are people out there that CANT gain weight. Overkill is the only option, and it works. Just sharing my experience.
    I'm sure it did help you, but it helped you because you were eating over your basal metabolic rate. You gain weight by eating over that mark by 500-1000 calories. You don't need a gainer to hit that goal, and the only reason they sell is because it's convenient. Eating 4-6 meals a day and splitting a 4k calorie load over those isn't hard to hit, just gotta eat the right foods.

okay. t/y for explaining your idea of value.

value to most ppl means "bang for the buck", or the best way to spend your money on a certain endeavor.

value is lacking in most all weight gainers, because you are simply paying too much for "food"..
    you are also paying for substandard nutrition and empty calories as well (maltodextrin/sugar/fillers/etc).

even at $7/lb, do the math on how many servings you are getting out of each 5lb jug.

on a "cost per serving" level, you may find that what you think is a good value, is actually entirely the opposite.

you can get much better sources of nutrients with your own additives to your whey protein, and you can do so for much cheaper.
    No one said it was cheap. But really, how much weight do you want to gain? If you dont have an extra 35 a month you can spend on a weight gaining protein why not spend it? You know the saying you have to spend money to make money? Well here, you have to spend money to gain weight. I need to change btw how much Ive gained on that gainer as I have now completed the 5 pound jug and when stacked with my whey protein, I gained 9 pounds on it. I dont take the full "serving" daily either. Weight gaining proteins do work, and do have a value. Unless youre too cheap to actually make an investment in the protein.

No one said it was cheap.
    THEN IT IS NOT A GOOD VALUE.

You know the saying you have to spend money to make money? Well here, you have to spend money to gain weight.
    I KNOW...
    EXTRA CALORIES REQUIRES EXTRA $ EXPENSE.
    THE POINT IS, YOU CAN BUY YOUR CALORIES IN FOOD FORM, CHEAPER AND MORE NUTRITIOUS FOR YOU, THAN FROM YOUR WEIGHT GAINER.

THEREFORE, YOUR WEIGHT GAINER IS NOT A GOOD VALUE!!!

the only thing your weight gainer provides you with is convenience, as it is easy to make on the go.
    if convenience is a priority for you, then it may become a better "value" for your individual purpose.

but, to everyone else who looks at "value" as "bang for your buck" (like most ppl)..
    it is not. period.

AJP1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AJP1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AJP1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AJP1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AJP1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AJP1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AJP1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AJP1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AJP1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AJP1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AJP1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I see nothing wrong with a gainer.
    It's tough sometimes choking down all that food. Gainers provide a good simple quick easy way to get Cals in.

Some of my favorites are
    Serious Mass, using half a scoop is a great value for $40 at 30 days.

Real Gains another great 30 day value with the 10 pound bag.

True Mass is super tasty

Up Your Mass has a great carb blend and taste amazing too.
    -No I in Team-
    (Resident Product Specialist.)

Originally Posted by AJP1 View Post
    I see nothing wrong with a gainer.
    as long as you don't say it's nutritious and a great value, then fine.

it is what it is.
    overpriced substandard caloric consumption.

AJP1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AJP1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AJP1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AJP1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AJP1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AJP1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AJP1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AJP1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AJP1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AJP1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AJP1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up

as long as you don't say it's nutritious and a great value, then fine.

it is what it is.
    overpriced substandard caloric consumption.

It is what it is...
    A calorie is a calorie when it comes to gainin weight.
    Not saying every calorie is equal though so dont get me wrong.
    -No I in Team-
    (Resident Product Specialist.)

deejelkins is just really nice. (+1000) deejelkins is just really nice. (+1000) deejelkins is just really nice. (+1000) deejelkins is just really nice. (+1000) deejelkins is just really nice. (+1000) deejelkins is just really nice. (+1000) deejelkins is just really nice. (+1000) deejelkins is just really nice. (+1000) deejelkins is just really nice. (+1000) deejelkins is just really nice. (+1000) deejelkins is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have been reading for a long time and I see a lot of bashing on the gainers. I understand you can make your own and all that and that's cool for people to make at home but no everyone is able to and some need the convenience of just taking it in a mixer and adding water when needed. Like me. I do use what I guess u could classify a gainer in the winter and have found that ON pro complex gainer works great and the profile isn't crazy like serious mass or some of the others. I like it and recommend it. Just my opinion

Gainers are bashed often times because of low quality protein and a high price:serving ratio. If you can afford it and want the convenience, by all means use it to your hearts content. The issue arises when folks come on the forums looking to gain weight, and believe that gainers are a necessary purchase in order to meet their weight gain goals. Which of course, is completely false.

Calories in vs. calories out is the larger issue and the actual solution to all weight gain/lose goals. If a mass gainer helps you hit your caloric and macronutrient limit, and you use it accordingly, then there's certainly nothing wrong with it. But for the price, it is FAR cheaper for you to construct your own at home.

Also, it takes less than 5 minutes to make a homemade gainer shake at home. If you're using it as an MRP on the go, that's a different story.

Originally Posted by Valhallabound86 View Post
    Gainers are bashed often times because of low quality protein and a high price:serving ratio. If you can afford it and want the convenience, by all means use it to your hearts content. The issue arises when folks come on the forums looking to gain weight, and believe that gainers are a necessary purchase in order to meet their weight gain goals. Which of course, is completely false.

Calories in vs. calories out is the larger issue and the actual solution to all weight gain/lose goals. If a mass gainer helps you hit your caloric and macronutrient limit, and you use it accordingly, then there's certainly nothing wrong with it. But for the price, it is FAR cheaper for you to construct your own at home.
    excellent.

can we /thread now?