Page 80 of 95 FirstFirst ... 30 70 78 79 80 81 82 90 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,400 of 2828
    johnathonDOE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnathonDOE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnathonDOE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnathonDOE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnathonDOE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnathonDOE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    such good info!

dunkalicious is a name known to all. (+5000) dunkalicious is a name known to all. (+5000) dunkalicious is a name known to all. (+5000) dunkalicious is a name known to all. (+5000) dunkalicious is a name known to all. (+5000) dunkalicious is a name known to all. (+5000) dunkalicious is a name known to all. (+5000) dunkalicious is a name known to all. (+5000) dunkalicious is a name known to all. (+5000) dunkalicious is a name known to all. (+5000) dunkalicious is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by derekjeter92 View Post
    sooo... question:

I am a rower and because of that I need to be strong while weighing only as much as necessary to stay strong, is it wise to take creatine now during the offseason to increase my strength and increase gains and then get off the stuff come racing season? Will there be any negative effects to that or is it a good plan? Thanks.
    I see no harm in it, I would even take it during the season. With monohydrate I haven't experienced any weight gains...
    I rep back 5k+, just say 5k+

reps for life: Vai , Cgrimaldo

gethuge367 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gethuge367 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gethuge367 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gethuge367 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gethuge367 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gethuge367 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gethuge367 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gethuge367 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gethuge367 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gethuge367 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gethuge367 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    anyone know how to keep strength gains cycling off creatine?

the last time i got off, my barbell bench went from 175lb x5 for 3 sets to a 175 1rm! needless to say my spotter saved my ass there lmao

i figure if strength gains are able to be kept when cycling off dat dere, there must be some way to do it with creatine?

obviously creatine has a great effect on me, so maybe thats why i lose so much?

Wrestler1995 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You answered all of my questions! Thanks bro!

snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by dunkalicious View Post
    With monohydrate I haven't experienced any weight gains...
    If you have kept training and caloric intake the same when only adding creatine and you saw zero weight gain, then you are likely a nonresponder and are wasting your money.

My bet is that you did not control and accurately monitor your body weight.

catholicback has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm sure I'm asking a question that is already been answered here, but lots of this stuff changes based on new/current research.

Thoughts of creatine while cutting? I'll be at around 400 cal deficit and doing weights and cardio.

Is cycling still recommended (I can tell that it's common)?

Re: taking creatine with a carb drink, does a whey shake provide enough high GI carbs, or should be really be taking it with gatordate, powerade, etc?

Time of day is still no longer an issue, and loading is no longer necessary, correct?

Thanks to all in this thread who keep it up with current info.

Registered User BulkyCurlMonkey's Avatar
    BulkyCurlMonkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) BulkyCurlMonkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) BulkyCurlMonkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) BulkyCurlMonkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) BulkyCurlMonkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) BulkyCurlMonkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) BulkyCurlMonkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) BulkyCurlMonkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) BulkyCurlMonkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) BulkyCurlMonkey is on a distinguished road. (+10) BulkyCurlMonkey is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    yeah i don't buy those expensive Creatine either i just get the Body-fortress one at wal-mart and it has mono-hydrate in it and it seems to be working and it is only 15 Bucks!

Hyruliangoat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hyruliangoat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hyruliangoat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hyruliangoat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hyruliangoat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hyruliangoat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hyruliangoat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hyruliangoat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hyruliangoat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hyruliangoat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hyruliangoat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Supplement Safety/Information Guide For Parents, Kids, and Potential Users

Supplement Safety Guide For Parents/Kids/Potential Users

EDIT: FEEL FREE TO ASK QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ABOUT SUPPLEMENTS IN THIS THREAD

For the most part, supplements receive a bad rap by the general public, and while some of it is understandable, a good amount of it is pure nonsense. Those fearful of supplements claim protein will damage your kidneys and liver, creatine supplements will make you into a dialysis patient, multi vitamins (at normal dosages) are toxic, pre workout supplements will give you a heart attack, the list goes on and on. The worst comment of them all being “x supplement is a steroid”. But are these fears warranted? Is there truly a logical basis behind them or is it pure here say? Sadly, it is the latter.

Before I begin, let me clear up a couple of things that many readers will be thinking.

• -“I asked my doctor about X supplement and he/she informed me that it was potentially dangerous and would most likely cause harm.”

-To these folks, next time you visit your doctor, I encourage you to ask them for specific proof to their claims, you may be a bit surprised at the response the doctor gives back… People seem to forget that doctors do not know everything nor are they perfect, even someone with their PHD can be wrong. Despite this, it is still important to discuss these topics with your doctor as one can still attempt to show them differing information to engage in discussion. That being said, in no way am I recommending you to take x supplement as this is purely informational and is a collection of research.

• -“Where is the author getting his proof? Anyone could say all these things.”

-To answer this simply, from a collection of medical journals. My “proof” is backed by clinical trials and scientific studies conducted by different universities, researchers, and organizations. Citations are located at the end of the article for those wanting to see them, unless you can get access to the full texts, you will only see abstracts, for instance I have access through my school.

• -“How do you know that X supplement is truly X supplement?”

-To these people, I extend the same question to you. How do you know that the gas you pump into your car is truly premium? How do you know that X medicine is actually X medicine? There have been lots of contaminations and mix ups and these are supposedly rigorously monitored by the FDA. How do you know that your shampoo is exactly what it says it is and not merely soap mixed with some water and thickeners? The answer is, you don’t. Regardless, supplement companies still go through inspection and regulation.

PROTEIN POWDERS

BACKGROUND

Eugene Schiff is accredited with first processesing whey from milk back in the 1930’s [1], making it an edible source of protein. What was once originally seen as a waste product of dairy, is now used for many different reasons, ranging from baby formula [2], to use in the clinical setting as a therapeutic aid [3], and most importantly, as a supplement to meet help athletes and the fitness community reach their personal macronutrient requirements.

Whey is essentially “the group of milk proteins that remain soluble in milk serum or whey after precipitation of caseins at pH 4.6 and 20°C” [4]. In simple terms, think of it as the left over’s from processesing milk. That being said, there are many different types of whey protein products, not each one necessarily being the same. What separates them is the processesing method used.

PROCESSING

If you look for protein supplements you will be bombarded with many different brands each saying something different on the label. Upon looking at the label you will find these 2 terms more than anything.
    • “Concentrate”- which is essentially whey that still contains lactose and the fat content.
    • “Isolate”- which is essentially whey that has been stripped of the contents listed above. Keep in mind isolates are going to be more expensive and not really worth the extra cost, although it may help some with any GI distress they experience.

On some labels you may see that the protein has been processed through “ion exchange”, others you may see something along the lines of “cross flow filtration”, “micro filtration” etc. Below are the differences between them and my reasoning as to why the latter methods are more ideal when selecting a protein powder.

ION EXCHANGE
    • The process is scientifically defined as “separates molecules on the basis of differences in their net surface charge.”. [5]

• Depending on the specificity of the method, IE uses different chemicals, ions, PH, heat etc. and determines different levels of purity and protein left over. [6]

• While IE generally yields a higher purity, it also separates the immunoglobulins and the positive constituents of the whey which provide potential health benefits. [6]

MEMBRANE FILTRATION

o scientifically defined as “type of pressure driven membrane filtration, which is used for separating particles, microbes or molecules from liquids” [6]

o Uses various pore sizes on different membranes [6]

o Broad category, microfiltration, ultra filtration, cross flow filtration, reverse osmosis, etc fall under this category [6]

o Retains a higher concentration of the positive sub fractions of whey unlike IE. [6]

But are these “sub fractions” worth stressing over? Let’s take a look at some of the health benefits of the isolated sub fractions and whey as a whole

POTENTIAL HEALTH BENEFITS

[6]
    [6]

As you can see above, there are quite a few health benefits associated with the contents of whey, now let’s take a look at some of the specific benefits of whey as a whole.

Immune System Enhancement

-Glutathione plays a major role in the immune system, as it acts as an antioxidant preventing against oxidative stress and allows for lymphocyte secretion. [7] GSH also plays a key part of various regulatory and metabolic processes, involving cell signaling and maintenance of homeostasis.[8] Depletion of GSH has been linked to numerous abnormalities including but not limited to, cancer, parkinson’s disease, HIV, hepatitis, Cystic fibrosis, and even death. [7] Certain foods and supplements can be taken to influence levels of GSH with whey protein being one of the stronger influences as it contains high content of cystiene which is required to synthesize GSH. [7]
    • Zavorsky et al. (2007) found that consumption of 45g of whey a day for 2 weeks in healthy individuals increased GSH concentrations by 24 percent, Consumption of 30g resulted in a minor elevation GSH, and consumption of 15g showed no significant change. [9]

• Micke et al. (2001) found that HIV patients supplementing with whey resulted in a 32 percent increase in plasma GSH concentrations within a 2 week period. Those who suffer from HIV are severely GSH deficient, these findings may prove useful in future treatment for restoration of the impaired immune system in HIV patients. [10]

• Kent et al. (2003) found that whey successfully protected prostate cells from apoptosis (cell destruction) and increased intracellular GSH concentrations by 64 percent, and was raised even further to 92 percent after 12 hours of treatment. [11]

Preventative to Hypertension

-Individuals diagnosed with hypertension (high blood pressure), have a blood pressure of roughly 140/90 mmHg or above. [12] Depending on the severity and cause, drugs (ace inhibitors, diuretics, beta blockers, vasodilators, etc [13]) may end up needing to be used. But Generally exercise (usually accompanied by weight loss) and dietary adjustments can serve as treatment, but sometimes this is not enough as genetics and other risk factors play a significant role, some people being more prone to hypertension than others. A minor dietary adjustment of the inclusion of whey protein and the shift to a high protein may be a possible approach to keeping hypertension under control.[12] Interestingly enough, a study conducted on 6,496 Japanese-American men found a negative relationship between systolic and diastolic blood pressures and total protein consumption. [14]

[13]
    Last edited by Hyruliangoat; 01-14-2012 at 05:10 PM.
    Instagram: hyruliangoat_

BEST LOOKING MISCER
    CUTEST POSTER OF ALL TIME
    PEOPLE ASK FOR MY AUTOGRAPH AND PICTURE EVERYDAY CREW

Hyruliangoat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hyruliangoat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hyruliangoat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hyruliangoat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hyruliangoat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hyruliangoat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hyruliangoat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hyruliangoat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hyruliangoat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hyruliangoat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hyruliangoat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    • Fluegal et al. (2010) found that supplementation of 28g of whey decreased Systolic bp by 8.0 mmhg in hypertensive young adults and 3.8 mmhg in subjects with only high systolic bp. Also diastolic bp was lowered by 8.3mmhg and mean arterial pressure was lowered by 6.4mmhg. [15]

• Pins et al. (2007) found that subjects ingesting 20g of whey resulted in an11mmHg drop in systolic blood pressure and a 7mmHg drop in diastolic blood pressure within 1 week of treatment. [16]

SAFETY AND SIDE EFFECTS

Out of all the things the fitness community is bashed for, the use of a high protein diet seems to be one of the top ones. Many will talk about the “dangers” to having a high protein diet, saying that the kidneys and liver especially will be damaged under those conditions. Coincidentally enough the majority of people who say this are also ones who consume alcohol quite frequently…
    Protein intake for the athlete and the upper tolerable limit for protein has been studied very extensively. The International Society of Sports Nutrition states 4 things about this controversy. [17]

1) “Vast research supports the contention that individuals engaged in regular exercise training require more dietary protein than sedentary individual” [17]

2)“Protein intakes of 1.4 – 2.0 g/kg/day for physically active individuals is not only safe, but may improve the training adaptations to exercise training” [17]

3) “When part of a balanced, nutrient-dense diet, protein intakes at this level are not detrimental to kidney function or bone metabolism in healthy, active persons.” [17]

4) “While it is possible for physically active individuals to obtain their daily protein requirements through a varied, regular diet, supplemental protein in various forms are a practical way of ensuring adequate and quality protein intake for athletes” [17]

Kidneys
    • The ISSN states that multiple studies on individuals with high risk factors for diseases showed NO signs of renal damage, even in those who are at risk for kidney disease. [17]

• 65 overweight individuals on a high protein diet showed no signs of kidney damage over a 6 month period. Keep in mind, this is a good sign considering obesity is generally accompanied by impaired function of the kidneys. [18]

• Another study conducted by Poortsmans and Dellalieux (2000) concluded that a protein diet containing “~1.4–1.9 g/kg/day or 170–243% of the “recommended dietary allowance” failed to cause kidney problems in athletes. [19]

• Another study failed to show signs of renal damage when athletes consumed 2. 8 g/kg of protein. Much higher than the recommended amount of protein one should consume. [20]

LIVER
    • Chinapatarux et al. (2009) found that in patients with NASH (nonalcoholic steatohepatits, which I might add is more prevalent than people think and can lead to cirrohsis), supplementation of 20g of whey for 12 weeks led to a significant reduction in ALT and AST liver values. This is contrary to the claims that protein supplementation will damage the liver. [21]

[21]

• Bortolatti et al. (2010) found that supplementation of 60g of whey for 4 weeks led to lower cholesterol/triglycerides and improved liver function in obese women with non alcoholic fatty liver disease. It is important to note the effect on cholesterol as hypercholesterolemia is usually associated with elevated liver enzymes. Obesity also is a risk factor for high cholesterol [22]

• In a research review by Manninen (2004), the following was stated. “AHA Nutrition Committee suggests that high-protein intake may have detrimental effects on liver function. However, there is no scientific evidence whatsoever supporting this contention.” [23]

ADRESSING CONCERNS ABOUT THE RECENT CONSUMER REPORT ARTICLE

Recently, Consumer Report released an article stating supposed issues with popular protein drinks, stating that they were found to contain high traces of metals, which in turn could cause much harm to the protein drinker if not careful. [24]

“The results showed a considerable range, but levels in three products were of particular concern because consuming three servings a day could result in daily exposure to arsenic, cadmium, or lead exceeding the limits proposed by USP” [24]

Below is an excerpt by Jim Stoppani PHD and NSF International addressing these concerns and essentially putting an end to the faulty claims. Also metal comparisons of one of the proteins tested and common food items

[25]

[25]

[25]

“NSF International cannot comment on the test results reported in the July 2010 Consumer Reports article on protein drinks. It omits critical information about the laboratory that performed the test and its accreditation qualifications. ISO 17025 accreditation is critical for any laboratory testing for heavy metals in dietary supplements and nutritional products. The article also omits the test methods used, analytical preparation, sample size, the basis of their risk assessment, detection limits, quality control data and instrumentation used for this report”.

The NSF International statement further reads: “Muscle Milk Chocolate and Muscle Milk Vanilla Crème have been certified to NSF/ANSI Standard 173. The samples analyzed met the maximum acceptable limits of the standard based upon our validated test methods”.

In other words, NSF International, the world leader in such testing, has already found these products to meet their standards. Yet Consumer Reports somehow found levels of contaminants that NSF failed to find yet did not disclose their method of finding them.” [26]

Also worth mentioning from the article

“Consumer Reports goes on to interview so-called health and fitness experts on the supposed dangers of consuming too much protein. But these "experts" are merely dieticians, not researchers in the field of sports nutrition. One source is Kathleen Laquale, PhD, who says: "The body can break down only 5-9 grams of protein per hour. Any excess that's not burned for energy is converted to fat or excreted, so it's a ridiculous waste to be recommending so much more than you really need." [26]

Which brings me to my next short topic on protein intake in a single meal. I mention this because a common belief is that only 20-30g of protein can be used in a single meal, that being said that is the range of protein within a serving of protein supplements, so this is worth discussing briefly. But I am going to let my friend Alan Aragon do the talking on this =)

PROTEIN DIGESTION WITH ALAN ARAGON

For those unaware of Alan Aragon,

“Alan Aragon has over 15 years of success in the fitness field. He earned his Bachelor and Master of Science in Nutrition with top honors. Alan is a continuing education provider for the Commission on Dietetic Registration, National Academy of Sports Medicine, American Council on Exercise, and National Strength & Conditioning Association. Alan recently lectured to clinicians at the FDA and the annual conference of the Los Angeles Dietetic Association.

He maintains a private practice designing programs for recreational, Olympic, and professional athletes, including the Los Angeles Lakers, Los Angeles Kings, and Anaheim Mighty Ducks. Alan is a contributing editor and Weight Loss Coach of Men’s Health magazine”

http://alanaragon.com/ (I recommend joining his research review, TONS of good information)
    http://www.alanaragonblog.com/

Let’s imagine an experiment involving two relatively lean 200 lb individuals. For the purposes of this illustration, I’ll assign a daily amount of protein known to adequately support the needs of the athletic population. We’ll give Person A 150 g protein spread over five meals at 30 g each. We’ll give Person B the same amount of protein, but in a single meal. Let’s say that this meal consists of a 16 oz steak, chased with a shake containing two scoops of protein powder.

If we really believed that only 30 g protein can be handled by the body in a single meal, then Person B would eventually run into protein deficiency symptoms because he supposedly is only absorbing a total of 30 g out of the 150 g we’re giving him. At 30 g/day, he’s only getting 0.33 g/kg of bodyweight, which isn’t even half of the already-low RDA of 0.8 g/kg. If the body worked this way, the human species would have quickly become extinct. The human body is more efficient and effective than we give it credit for...[27]
    Last edited by Hyruliangoat; 01-13-2012 at 03:38 PM.

BEST LOOKING MISCER

If we were to believe the premise that a 20-30 g dose of protein yields a maximal anabolic effect, then it follows that any excess beyond this dose would be wasted. On the contrary, the body is smarter than that. In a 14-day trial, Arnal and colleagues found no difference in fat-free mass or nitrogen retention between consuming 79% of the day’s protein needs (roughly 54 g) in one meal, versus the same amount spread across four meals [11].

Notably, this study was done on young female adults whose fat-free mass averaged 40.8 kg (89.8 lb). Considering that most non-sedentary males have considerably more lean mass than the female subjects used in the aforementioned trial, it’s plausible that much more than 54 g protein in a single meal can be efficiently processed for anabolic and/or anti-catabolic purposes. If we extrapolated the protein dose used in this study (79% of 1.67g/kg) to the average adult male, it would be roughly 85-95 g or even more, depending on just how close someone is to the end of the upper limits of muscular size.

When Arnal and colleagues applied the same protocol to the elderly population, the single-dose treatment actually caused better muscle protein retention than the multiple-dose treatment [12]. This raises the possibility that as we age, larger protein feedings might be necessary to achieve the same effect on protein retention as lesser amounts in our youth.
    [27]

Based on the available evidence, it’s false to assume that the body can only use a certain amount of protein per meal. Studies examining short-term effects have provided hints towards what might be an optimal protein dose for maximizing anabolism, but trials drawn out over longer periods haven’t supported this idea. So, is there a limit to how much protein per meal can be effectively used? Yes there is, but this limit is likely similar to the amount that’s maximally effective in an entire day. What’s the most protein that the body can effectively use in an entire day? The short answer is, a lot more than 20-30 g. The long answer is, it depends on several factors. In most cases it’s not too far from a gram per pound in drug-free trainees, given that adequate total calories are provided [8,9].
    [27]

CREATINE MONOHYDRATE

Background

Of all supplements, Creatine has to be one of the most studied, even in 1912, there was already some information about creatine. [29]

“The negative results could have been due to the transformation of creatinine into creatine, although this seemed unlikely from what we know concerning the metabolism of these two products.” [29]

Creatine research has gone a long way, as even the above claim has been adjusted, with creatine actually converting into creatinine, not the opposite. [29] It’s effectiveness as a supplement for performance and health have been studied extensively and through many different areas of medicine. [30] Endogeneous creatine was discovered by physicist Michel-Eugène Chevreul in the 1830’s. [29] Creatine is naturally occurring in food/meat products and also found in the human body. [32] To see how creatine monohydrate is made, I have linked the patent at the bottom of the page [31], but as for creatines physiological effects, this definition by the University of Pavia explains it nicely,

“Creatine administration increases creatine and phosphocreatine muscle concentration, allowing for an accelerated rate of ATP synthesis. In thermodynamics terms, creatine stimulates the creatine-creatine kinase-phosphocreatine circuit, which is related to the mitochondrial function as a highly organized system for the control of the subcellular adenylate pool. In pharmacokinetics terms, creatine entry into skeletal muscle is initially dependent on the extracellular concentration, but the creatine transport is subsequently downregulated. In pharmacodynamics terms, the creatine enhances the possibility to maintain power output during brief periods of high-intensity exercises” [30]

1) Enhances the bodies capacity at creating atp (bodies source of energy)
    • Harris et al. (1992)found that supplementing with 30g of creatine monohydrate resulted in increases in total creatine concentrations and phosphocreatine concentrations. [33] Remember this rise is important, think supply and demand. In short, creatine donates its phosphate to adp/ it phosphorylates adp.

• Supplementation of creatine successfully maintained an elevated concentration of cellular atp [33]

• Kurosawa (2003) found that during grip exercises, the creatine group outperformed the placebo group due to heightened atp resynthesis following creatine supplementation [34]

2) Enhances the output of mitochondria (creates energy in cells) of the muscle
    • Supplementation with creatine successfully increased oxidative phosphorylation in the mitochondria. In short, OP is one of the bodies mechanisms for producing atp (adenosine triphosphate) from the waste product adp (adenosine diphosphate) [35]

• Komura et al. (2003) found that Patients with mitochondrial encephalomyopathies (malfunctioning cellular metabolism to where OP and the mitochondria stop functioning properly which in turn affects the nervous and muscular system) increased their muscle performance by 4-30 percent with no side effects after supplementing with creatine. [36]

• Mitochondrial dysfunction occurs in many neurodegenerative disorders such as Parkinson’s disease, Huntington’s disease, and autism. This also occurs in many heart and liver defects. Antioxidants and CREATINE seem to prove the most favorable results as a possible cure. [37]

3) Enhances the muscles capacity for work during exercise
    • According to a research review by Bemben and Lamont (2005), supplementation with creatine generally provides favorable results for anaraeobic and aerobic exercises (see charts below)

[38]

[38]

POTENTIAL HEALTH BENEFITS

Cardiovascular System improvement
    • Caretti et al. (2010) found that in Ischemic (lack of blood flow) heart cells, apoptosis (cell destruction) was found to be reversed when the cells were given creatine and ribose. Ribose being nessecary as it becomes deficient during myocardial ischemia. [39]

• Gordon et al. (1995) found that patients with chronic heart failure were given 20g of creatine daily which led to improved physical performance and raised already depleted cardiac creatine stores. [40]

• Although 1 contradictory study was published by Cornellison et al. (2010), the researchers did still say “However, given the exhaustive evidence for creatine as a training aid in healthy young and athletic populations our findings do not necessarily rule out a therapeutic role for creatine supplementation in cardiac patients.” [41]

ENHANCED CAPACITY IN ELDERLY

[42]

[42]

[42]
    Last edited by Hyruliangoat; 01-13-2012 at 03:39 PM.

BEST LOOKING MISCER

Preventative of muscle catabolism

Progressive deterioration of skeletal muscle, strength and endurance is known as sarcopenia, this is extremely problematic in the older population as this seems to be inevitable with aging. [43, 44, 45] Sarcopenia may also lead to even further problems as obesity/metabolic syndrome, diabetes, hormonal imbalances, and even death. [46] While there is no full on perfect treatment, creatine may be able to combat muscle wasting and serve as an effective measure against sarcopenia. [43,46]

[61]
    [45]

SAFETY AND SIDE EFFECTS

The International Society of Sports Nutrition states the following about the safety of creatine supplementation,

1.) “Creatine monohydrate supplementation is not only safe, but possibly beneficial in regard to preventing injury and/or management of select medical conditions when taken within recommended guidelines.” [47]

2. “There is no scientific evidence that the short- or long-term use of creatine monohydrate has any detrimental effects on otherwise healthy individuals.” [47]
    That being said, let’s look at some specifics individually.

SIDE EFFECTS WITH CONSISTENT SUPPLEMENTATION
    • Kreider et al. (2003)found that 21 months of creatine supplementation in college football players “does not appear to adversely effect markers of health status in athletes undergoing intense training in comparison to athletes who do not take creatine.” The players supplemented with around 5-10g a day for maintenance after a loading phase of roughly 15g.[48]

• Poortmans and Francaux (1999) concluded that supplementation with creatine for 10 months to 5 years found Neither short-term, medium-term, nor long-term oral creatine supplements induce detrimental effects on the kidney of healthy athletes. [49]

• In a research review by Bizzarini and De Angelis (2004), they concluded “Recently, controlled studies made to integrate the existing knowledge based on anecdotal reports on the side effects of creatine have indicated that, in healthy subjects, oral supplementation with creatine, even with long-term dosage, may be considered an effective and safe ergogenic aid” [50]

KIDNEYS
    • In a research review by Poortmans and Francaux (2000), researchers concluded that 20g of creatine (over 4 times the recommended dose) “does not appear to have any detrimental effect on the renal responses of healthy men.” [51]

• Yet again 6 years later in another research review, Francaux and Poortmans (2006) concluded that. “Even if there is a slight increase in mutagenic agents (methylamine and formaldehyde) in urine after a heavy load of creatine (20 g/day), their excretion remains within a normal range” [52]

• Mayhew et al. (2002) determined the effects of liver and kidney function in 23 football players, and concluded. “Therefore, it appears that oral supplementation with CrM has no long-term detrimental effects on kidney or liver functions in highly trained college athletes in the absence of other nutritional supplements.” [53]

SAFETY IN CHILDREN

[47] The ISSN states the following about supplementation in children,

1. The athlete is past puberty and is involved in serious/competitive training that may benefit from creatine supplementation;
    2. The athlete is eating a well-balanced, performance-enhancing diet;
    3. The athlete and his/her parents understand the truth concerning the effects of creatine supplementation;
    4. The athlete's parents approve that their child takes supplemental creatine;
    5. Creatine supplementation can be supervised by the athletes parents, trainers, coaches, and/or physician;
    6. Quality supplements are used; and,
    7. The athlete does not exceed recommended dosages.

CRAMPING AND DEHYDRATION

Claims of “cramps” and a heightened chance of “dehydration” are made frequently by the opposing crowd to creatine. Claiming that because of the creatine’s effects on fluid balance, cramps will be more frequent upon exercising and the chance of dehydration increases tremendously due to the supposed effect of creatine basically sucking out all the water from your body. But what does the literature say about this? Let’s take a look

HYDRATION STATUS
    • A research review by Lopez et al. (2009) concluded the following, “No evidence supports the concept that creatine supplementation either hinders the body's ability to dissipate heat or negatively affects the athlete's body fluid balance. Controlled experimental trials of athletes exercising in the heat resulted in no adverse effects from creatine supplementation at recommended dosages” Below is a brief explanation of the possibility dehydration and also the studies that lead to the above conclusion. We also see the effects on body temperature in comparison to the placebo groups in various studies.

[54]

[54]

[54]
    Last edited by Hyruliangoat; 01-13-2012 at 03:41 PM.

BEST LOOKING MISCER

CRAMPS
    • A research review by Dalbo et al. (2008) came to the conclusion that “Recent reports now suggest that creatine may enhance performance in hot and/or humid conditions by maintaining haematocrit, aiding thermoregulation and reducing exercising heart rate and sweat rate. Creatine may also positively influence plasma volume during the onset of dehydration. Considering these new published findings, little evidence exists that creatine supplementation in the heat presents additional risk…” [55]

Hemodialysis is a form of treatment for kidney failure (peritoneal dialysis being another) [57], the treatment essentially involves the use of a machine to serve as the replacement filtration system to the body. The machine also serves as a mediator for medicine and hormones to maintain homeostasis. [58]

[58]

Hemodialysis is frequently accompanied by cramps, it is said to occur in around 35-86 perecent of HD patients [59], and because of this may end up leading to an unsuccessful treatment. Creatine may serve as an effective approach against this as Chang et al. (2002) concluded that creatine supplementation in HD patients “might be used for the treatment of HAMC (hd associated muscle cramps) and that in the short‐term this agent is safe for patients on maintenance haemodialysis”

CONCLUSION

Whether or not you choose to agree with the research is up to you, but regardless I still hope to have done a few things, the most important one being that you as the reader learned something from this and hopefully this enticed you to do even further research. I cannot stress enough though, while supplements may be useful, they do not do the work for you, and it is still very important to consult your doctor and research before jumping on any supplement.

Feel free to leave any questions, comments, suggestions etc, and thanks ahead of time to everyone for reading this.

-Hyruliangoat

CITATIONS

1) http://www.schiffvitamins.com/about.asp
    2) http://www.gerber.com/AllStages/nutr..._proteins.aspx
    3) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18187438
    4) http://www.jacn.org/content/26/6/704S.full
    5) http://www.dspace.cam.ac.uk/bitstrea...f%20Thesis.pdf
    6) http://www.doria.fi/bitstream/handle...pdf?sequence=2
    7) http://www.maxintern.com/glutathioninhumandisease.pdf
    8) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14988435
    9) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17710587
    10) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11168457
    11) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12537959
    12) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001502/
    13) http://ocw.tufts.edu/data/33/498002.pdf
    14) http://hyper.ahajournals.org/content/7/3/405.short
    15) http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...5869461000141X
    16) http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...6.05667.x/full
    17) http://www.jissn.com/content/4/1/8
    18) http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/2/1/25
    19) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10722779
    20) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...MC2129142/#B20
    21) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19638084
    22) http://www.clinicalnutritionjournal....008-2/abstract
    23) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...MC2129142/#B20
    24) http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...view/index.htm
    25) http://www.optimumnutrition.com/news.php?article=874
    26) http://blogs.muscleandfitness.com/ji...eah-right.html
    27) http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-n...a-single-meal/
    28) http://www.jbc.org/content/12/1/141.full.pdf
    29) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7817065
    30) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11317142
    31) http://www.patentgenius.com/patent/6326513.html
    32) http://www.ajcn.org/content/72/2/607S.full#R32
    33) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1327657
    34) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12701817
    35) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK21208/
    36) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12657421
    37) http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/410871
    38) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15707376
    39) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21220914
    40) http://cardiovascres.oxfordjournals....30/3/413.short
    41) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20576665
    42) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11085837
    43) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11283518
    44) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2886201/
    45) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2905310/
    46) http://www.biomedcentral.com/1476-59...tent/8/1/6#B17
    47) http://www.jissn.com/content/4/1/6
    48) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12701816
    49) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...,f1000m,isrctn
    50) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15758854
    51) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10999421
    52) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19124889
    53) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12500988
    54) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2657025/
    55) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18184753
    56) http://ndt.oxfordjournals.org/content/17/11/1978.full
    57) http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/dialysis.html
    58) http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/KUDiseas...sis/index.aspx
    59) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2...?dopt=Abstract
    60) http://ndt.oxfordjournals.org/conten...978.full#ref-1
    61) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16536185

BEST LOOKING MISCER

comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Jesus Christ.

Last edited by comps; 01-13-2012 at 02:59 PM.

JMCandelario is a name known to all. (+5000) JMCandelario is a name known to all. (+5000) JMCandelario is a name known to all. (+5000) JMCandelario is a name known to all. (+5000) JMCandelario is a name known to all. (+5000) JMCandelario is a name known to all. (+5000) JMCandelario is a name known to all. (+5000) JMCandelario is a name known to all. (+5000) JMCandelario is a name known to all. (+5000) JMCandelario is a name known to all. (+5000) JMCandelario is a name known to all. (+5000)

ForGreece is just really nice. (+1000) ForGreece is just really nice. (+1000) ForGreece is just really nice. (+1000) ForGreece is just really nice. (+1000) ForGreece is just really nice. (+1000) ForGreece is just really nice. (+1000) ForGreece is just really nice. (+1000) ForGreece is just really nice. (+1000) ForGreece is just really nice. (+1000) ForGreece is just really nice. (+1000) ForGreece is just really nice. (+1000)
    in.

*ελευθερία ή θάνατος*
    ~ελληνικο crew~

The Region

CanadianAthlete is just really nice. (+1000) CanadianAthlete is just really nice. (+1000) CanadianAthlete is just really nice. (+1000) CanadianAthlete is just really nice. (+1000) CanadianAthlete is just really nice. (+1000) CanadianAthlete is just really nice. (+1000) CanadianAthlete is just really nice. (+1000) CanadianAthlete is just really nice. (+1000) CanadianAthlete is just really nice. (+1000) CanadianAthlete is just really nice. (+1000) CanadianAthlete is just really nice. (+1000)
    Extremely helpful and informational for beginners. Very bright idea, Op. Proves many bro- science theories incorrect
    In.

monsta96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) monsta96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) monsta96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) monsta96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) monsta96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) monsta96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) monsta96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) monsta96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) monsta96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) monsta96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) monsta96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    gj brah . they should make this a sticky looks like a lot of time went into this. very informative.
    - NyC Crew
    - POLSKA CREW
    _Zajebisty Crew
    -Every time you stay out late...
    Every time you sleep in...
    Every time you miss a workout...
    Every time you don't give 100%...
    You make it that much easier for me to beat you... -Anonymous

Follow my log to becoming swole;
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141035331&p=807163691#post807163691

RippityMcRipple will become famous soon enough. (+50) RippityMcRipple will become famous soon enough. (+50) RippityMcRipple will become famous soon enough. (+50) RippityMcRipple will become famous soon enough. (+50) RippityMcRipple will become famous soon enough. (+50) RippityMcRipple will become famous soon enough. (+50) RippityMcRipple will become famous soon enough. (+50) RippityMcRipple will become famous soon enough. (+50) RippityMcRipple will become famous soon enough. (+50) RippityMcRipple will become famous soon enough. (+50) RippityMcRipple will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    6th

good stuff
    Last edited by RippityMcRipple; 01-13-2012 at 05:48 PM.

Jereremy is just really nice. (+1000) Jereremy is just really nice. (+1000) Jereremy is just really nice. (+1000) Jereremy is just really nice. (+1000) Jereremy is just really nice. (+1000) Jereremy is just really nice. (+1000) Jereremy is just really nice. (+1000) Jereremy is just really nice. (+1000) Jereremy is just really nice. (+1000) Jereremy is just really nice. (+1000) Jereremy is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up

Cliffs?

Jk thanks for the info brah
    Measly +
    ☜(*▽*)☞ wild pidgey appeared!
    ***Ancient Astronaut Theory Crew***

gtslmfao is just really nice. (+1000) gtslmfao is just really nice. (+1000) gtslmfao is just really nice. (+1000) gtslmfao is just really nice. (+1000) gtslmfao is just really nice. (+1000) gtslmfao is just really nice. (+1000) gtslmfao is just really nice. (+1000) gtslmfao is just really nice. (+1000) gtslmfao is just really nice. (+1000) gtslmfao is just really nice. (+1000) gtslmfao is just really nice. (+1000)
    wowow. looks awesome. haven't even read 1/4 of it yet...

nice job!
    540/400/620 @ 181
    Youtube: @gtslmfaoz

sbflow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbflow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbflow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbflow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbflow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbflow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ok.

Handcannon7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Handcannon7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Handcannon7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Handcannon7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Handcannon7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Handcannon7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Handcannon7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Handcannon7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Handcannon7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Handcannon7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Handcannon7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What is this I dont even.

Very informative for the general idiot, may want to put some things in more leymans terms so more people can understand the points being made

SethBJJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SethBJJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SethBJJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SethBJJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SethBJJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SethBJJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SethBJJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SethBJJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SethBJJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SethBJJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SethBJJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Quality post bro thanks for the info

L1AM will become famous soon enough. (+50) L1AM will become famous soon enough. (+50) L1AM will become famous soon enough. (+50) L1AM will become famous soon enough. (+50) L1AM will become famous soon enough. (+50) L1AM will become famous soon enough. (+50) L1AM will become famous soon enough. (+50) L1AM will become famous soon enough. (+50) L1AM will become famous soon enough. (+50) L1AM will become famous soon enough. (+50) L1AM will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    In on page 1
    ★★★ Quality Crew ★★★
    ★★★ Quality Crew ★★★
    ★★★ Quality Crew ★★★
    ★★★ Quality Crew ★★★
    ★★★ Quality Crew ★★★
    but Y???? IDK BRO

Originally Posted by Handcannon7 View Post
    What is this I dont even.

Very informative for the general idiot, may want to put some things in more leymans terms so more people can understand the points being made
    i bet you didnt even know half of those things

BEST LOOKING MISCER

"go clap your own cheeks" KLOMPUS's Avatar
    KLOMPUS will become famous soon enough. (+50) KLOMPUS will become famous soon enough. (+50) KLOMPUS will become famous soon enough. (+50) KLOMPUS will become famous soon enough. (+50) KLOMPUS will become famous soon enough. (+50) KLOMPUS will become famous soon enough. (+50) KLOMPUS will become famous soon enough. (+50) KLOMPUS will become famous soon enough. (+50) KLOMPUS will become famous soon enough. (+50) KLOMPUS will become famous soon enough. (+50) KLOMPUS will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    gj man. looks like you put in your time. hail to the chief
    "whats your major?" "oh thats interesting, why did you choose it?" "wow thats really cool" (even if it isnt) then dish out a few more compliments and BAM pregnant!
    -MMAgrappler7

"now say it with me: Beefcake" "Beefcake"
    "BEEFCAKE!" "BEEFCAKE"
    "BEEEEEEFFFFFCAAAAAAAAKKKKKEE!!!!" "BEEEEEEEEEEEFFFFCAAAAAAAAAKKKKEEEE!!!!"

MIDNCTG is just really nice. (+1000) MIDNCTG is just really nice. (+1000) MIDNCTG is just really nice. (+1000) MIDNCTG is just really nice. (+1000) MIDNCTG is just really nice. (+1000) MIDNCTG is just really nice. (+1000) MIDNCTG is just really nice. (+1000) MIDNCTG is just really nice. (+1000) MIDNCTG is just really nice. (+1000) MIDNCTG is just really nice. (+1000) MIDNCTG is just really nice. (+1000)
    In on first page. Will read then edit and comment

Edit: I can honestly say I learned a few things after reading this. One point that really should be stressed for teens getting on a bunch of supps when they get into lifting is, like you said, "they don't do the work for you". Thanks for spreading some knowledge and using research to back it all up bro.
    Last edited by MIDNCTG; 01-13-2012 at 04:02 PM.
    USMC

Need MOAR Shoulders RaginCajunBrah's Avatar
    RaginCajunBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RaginCajunBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RaginCajunBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RaginCajunBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RaginCajunBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RaginCajunBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RaginCajunBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RaginCajunBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RaginCajunBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RaginCajunBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RaginCajunBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    This is new and exciting.

knight07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) knight07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) knight07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) knight07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) knight07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) knight07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) knight07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) knight07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) knight07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) knight07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) knight07 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    page 1 yeeeee

Originally Posted by RaginCajunBrah View Post
    This is new and exciting.
    as I said to handcannon, im willing to bet you didnt even know half the medical material in this.

BEST LOOKING MISCER