luka5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) luka5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

deadlift small plates

I have a home gym and nonstandard weight plates (15kg is my largest plate and it is like 75% size of 45 lbs stndard olympic plate), so I have disadvantage when deadlifting and it is hard to me to keep the arch in my back. I wonder if i can just put some thick wooden board/s (block) under plates to raise my starting position a bit? good idea?

GoatfaceKillah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoatfaceKillah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoatfaceKillah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoatfaceKillah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoatfaceKillah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoatfaceKillah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoatfaceKillah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoatfaceKillah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoatfaceKillah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoatfaceKillah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoatfaceKillah is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Don't see why not, just don't raise it above where it would be with 45s and work on your flexibility.

Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by GoatfaceKillah View Post
    Don't see why not, just don't raise it above where it would be with 45s and work on your flexibility.
    This.

---

I like lifting on deficit on normal basis though, but that is just me. Makes normal deads a breaze

Prepare Perform Prevail SuicideGripMe's Avatar
    SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180003183&p=1635918623#post1635918623
    New Shanghai Log!

"225, 315, 405 whatever. Yeah these benchmark digits come to mean a lot to us, the few warriors in this arena. They are, however, just numbers. I'm guilty of that sh*t too, waiting for somebody to powder my nuts cuz I did 20 reps of whatever the **** on the bench. Big f*king deal. It is all relative." G Diesel

MGPumpin is on a distinguished road. (+10) MGPumpin is on a distinguished road. (+10) MGPumpin is on a distinguished road. (+10) MGPumpin is on a distinguished road. (+10) MGPumpin is on a distinguished road. (+10) MGPumpin is on a distinguished road. (+10) MGPumpin is on a distinguished road. (+10) MGPumpin is on a distinguished road. (+10) MGPumpin is on a distinguished road. (+10) MGPumpin is on a distinguished road. (+10) MGPumpin is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Yes you should use something to raise the starting point of the lift.

IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What do you think a deadlift is for? You pick stuff up off the ground. If your plates are smaller, get used to doing them from a lower start. There's no reason you won't still get great back development out of it.

You will not rip your back apart as long as you progress nice and gradually and eat right. I guarantee it.

This guy didn't die...

dat dere stick insect noflyingcars's Avatar
    noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Olympic plates are 450mm in diameter. That means the bar should be 21.5 cm from the floor.
    Reach that height simply putting some stuff (e.g. stack other plates) under your plates.

Do NOT do deficit deadlift unless you know what you're doing. Especially if you're tall.

Originally Posted by IDrinkBloodLOL View Post
    This guy didn't die...
    That guy is trying to snap some **** up.
    You should not give dangerous advice (i.e. posting the video of a dude with incorrect form), especially in a section of the forum that is for beginners.
    Negged.
    3k+

IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by noflyingcars View Post
    Olympic plates are 450mm in diameter. That means the bar should be 21.5 cm from the floor.
    Reach that height simply putting some stuff (e.g. stack other plates) under your plates.

Do NOT do deficit deadlift unless you know what you're doing. Especially if you're tall.

That guy is trying to snap some **** up.
    You should not give dangerous advice (i.e. posting the video of a dude with incorrect form), especially in a section of the forum that is for beginners.
    Negged.
    ...So let me get this straight. You're 4 inches taller than me but weigh almost 40 pounds less, and apparently don't even deadlift 3 plates, and I'm supposed to take your input seriously?

Thanks but no thanks. My advice stands - deficit deadlifts are fine, and anybody who thinks a specific exercise is magically harmful is a frail, fragile, panty-waisted ugly little gaylord. That means you, noflyingcars.

devinfrawley will become famous soon enough. (+50) devinfrawley will become famous soon enough. (+50) devinfrawley will become famous soon enough. (+50) devinfrawley will become famous soon enough. (+50) devinfrawley will become famous soon enough. (+50) devinfrawley will become famous soon enough. (+50) devinfrawley will become famous soon enough. (+50) devinfrawley will become famous soon enough. (+50) devinfrawley will become famous soon enough. (+50) devinfrawley will become famous soon enough. (+50) devinfrawley will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You can cut blanks out of wood and put them on first. Can't find a pic.
    I use them to teach the deadlift without having to put 20kg plates on.
    You can get 5kg bumper plates also but they cost money so f*** that.
    Go Heavy or Go Home

MGPumpin is on a distinguished road. (+10) MGPumpin is on a distinguished road. (+10) MGPumpin is on a distinguished road. (+10) MGPumpin is on a distinguished road. (+10) MGPumpin is on a distinguished road. (+10) MGPumpin is on a distinguished road. (+10) MGPumpin is on a distinguished road. (+10) MGPumpin is on a distinguished road. (+10) MGPumpin is on a distinguished road. (+10) MGPumpin is on a distinguished road. (+10) MGPumpin is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    ...So let me get this straight. You're 4 inches taller than me but weigh almost 40 pounds less, and apparently don't even deadlift 3 plates, and I'm supposed to take your input seriously?

Thanks but no thanks. My advice stands - deficit deadlifts are fine, and anybody who thinks a specific exercise is magically harmful is a frail, fragile, panty-waisted ugly little gaylord. That means you, noflyingcars.
    Hah! Ya deficit deads are fine but not the way they were done in that video. Not to mention that exercise doesnt have much purpose outside a competitive powerlifters routine. If someone is trying to simply do deadlifts with proper form why would you tell them to do deficit deads instead and then post a video of some egotatastic warrior who is going to have spinal degeneration 10 years from now.

MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000)
    If I was doing deadlifts like that, I'd stop doing deadlifts. Immediately. That, or sort out how to do them properly, quick smart. And that's nothing to do with deficit, btw.

Form matters. Some egomaniacs, ignorant people and Crossfitters in general mightn't care, and hey, it's only their bodies, right...

dat dere stick insect noflyingcars's Avatar
    noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by MGPumpin View Post
    Hah! Ya deficit deads are fine but not the way they were done in that video. Not to mention that exercise doesnt have much purpose outside a competitive powerlifters routine. If someone is trying to simply do deadlifts with proper form why would you tell them to do deficit deads instead and then post a video of some egotatastic warrior who is going to have spinal degeneration 10 years from now.
    Thanks for writing it for me.

a frail, fragile, panty-waisted ugly little gaylord. That means you, noflyingcars.
    LULz. Too bad you couldn't quote my avi in giant format, that's a feature of the old forum that I really miss.
    3k+

optimuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) optimuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) optimuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) optimuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) optimuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) optimuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) optimuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) optimuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) optimuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) optimuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) optimuz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When working with standard plates, I used to fold some offcuts of carpet to raise them up a couple of inches. Without that it was like squatting or doing bent over rows.
    What a relief to get Olympic plates, It felt so much better.
    What an even bigger relief to watch Rippetoe's tutorials, get the technique down, and slowly be adding weight and reps
    ~~~Welcome to the troll market~~~

Clewallen11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clewallen11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clewallen11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clewallen11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clewallen11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clewallen11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clewallen11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clewallen11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clewallen11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clewallen11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Clewallen11 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by luka5 View Post
    I have a home gym and nonstandard weight plates (15kg is my largest plate and it is like 75% size of 45 lbs stndard olympic plate), so I have disadvantage when deadlifting and it is hard to me to keep the arch in my back. I wonder if i can just put some thick wooden board/s (block) under plates to raise my starting position a bit? good idea?

I have actually seen people use traditional 25lb plates simply because they are smaller so they get a different ROM, but ya I agree don't see why you couldnt
    "No need for a plan B, it's only a distraction from plan A"