Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    MoxyPowers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MoxyPowers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MoxyPowers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MoxyPowers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MoxyPowers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MoxyPowers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MoxyPowers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MoxyPowers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MoxyPowers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MoxyPowers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MoxyPowers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Truth, Justice, and The Keto Way: One chick's journey towards becoming a Superwoman

Today is day three on Keto for me. So I thought I better start journaling . . .

So far, so good. I haven't felt any brain fog or hunger. I've decided not step on the scale for a few more days. We'll see how that goes. But first, some background . . .

About 6 years ago (it's easier to remember how much time has passed, since that's when I got married), I was approximately 25%bf at 170lbs (ht: 5'6"). I lifted and ran regularly. And while I certainly could have a lost a few pounds, I was happy and healthy. Flash forward to now: 250lbs, 52% body fat. Yikes! A lot happened in those 6 six and my healthy lifestyle was completely derailed. Needless to say, my body is unhappy and doesn't function the way I want it to. I was in a bit of denial because I hadn't had any overt health problems: cholesterol, blood pressure, blood sugar - All normal. I had all of those indicators rechecked a few weeks ago and I've gone from normal to high. It's time to make a change.

My main goal is to lose bodyfat (18% is my ideal). I would like to build my upper body strength and would be happy to put on some muscle, but the fat loss is certainly my prime objective. I have a desk job that doesn't allow me a whole lot of freedom, so I've got to commit to being more active in the evenings and weekends.

This is the plan for this first week. And thus far, it's been going well.

Breakfast:
    3 Eggs, Spinach, and Feta Omelet
    Black Coffee

Lunch
    8oz Ground Beef mixed with 1/2 Avocado and 1/4 c Sour Cream

Dinner
    Big Salad of Romaine Lettuce, 1/4 c Bleu Cheese, 2tbsp Newman's Own Olive Oil and Vinegar Dressing

Snack
    1/2 c Cottage Cheese

Post Workout
    Scoop of Whey Protein mixed with 8oz Unsweetened Almond Milk

Lookout sedentary, overfat lifestyle! I'm coming for you.

MoxyPowers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MoxyPowers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MoxyPowers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MoxyPowers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MoxyPowers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MoxyPowers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MoxyPowers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MoxyPowers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MoxyPowers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MoxyPowers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MoxyPowers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Today, for the first time in my life, I made an omelet.

Now don't get me wrong. I've eaten omelets plenty of times (in restaurants) and I've made scrambled eggs a bazillion times. I had thought about making omelets before, but the urge to scramble always got the best of me. But not today. Today, I made an omelet. And it tastes delicious.

Small victories, right?

Speaking of victories, tomorrow I'm going to step on the scale for the first time since starting Keto. I'm nervous, but hopeful. It's only been a few days, but I want to get into the habit of weighing myself on Fridays before I carb up over the weekend.

And the results are in . . . 242.6lbs!!!

Now I know that 7.4lbs is mostly water weight, but I don't care! It's all the motivation I need to keep at this for another week.

In other news, I bought some Ketostix last night and they say I'm in ketosis. I've heard those aren't always reliable, but I don't have anything way to measure right now, since I'm so new at this. I also bought some fiber supplements. I worry I'm not getting enough.

I'm going to carb up tomorrow. Maybe I shouldn't in my first week, but tomorrow is my anniversary and I don't want dinner to be complicated. We always go out for fondue. Most of what I'll be eating is just fine actually, but there will be bread with the cheese fondue and the four course meals includes chocolate fondue at the end. I plan to go easy on both and really focus on filling up on the meat and veggies.

crzyballr is on a distinguished road. (+10) crzyballr is on a distinguished road. (+10) crzyballr is on a distinguished road. (+10) crzyballr is on a distinguished road. (+10) crzyballr is on a distinguished road. (+10) crzyballr is on a distinguished road. (+10) crzyballr is on a distinguished road. (+10) crzyballr is on a distinguished road. (+10) crzyballr is on a distinguished road. (+10) crzyballr is on a distinguished road. (+10) crzyballr is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Good job so far!!! I suggest you stay the hell away from a carb up or more than 10% of diet for the next few weeks though.

Originally Posted by crzyballr View Post
    Good job so far!!! I suggest you stay the hell away from a carb up or more than 10% of diet for the next few weeks though.
    Thanks for the encouragement! Normally, I would totally wait, but it's my anniversary and I'm going to allow myself some carbs at dinner. And I'm not going to beat myself up about it. The problem I've run into (over my entire life) is that I tend to start new things with a mindset of being completely perfect. And when any minor deviation occurs, I fall apart. Today I'm going to acknowledge that it's a special occasion, somewhat watch what I eat as I can, and let a few extra carbs happen.

Breakfast and lunch stayed within my macros and I'll be right back on track tomorrow morning. So, I supposed it not your typical 24 hour carb up.

Does it make my first week of Keto imperfect? Hell yeah it does. Am I going to beat myself up over it? Not this time. Am I going to get right back up on the horse tomorrow? You better believe it.

crzyballr is on a distinguished road. (+10) crzyballr is on a distinguished road. (+10) crzyballr is on a distinguished road. (+10) crzyballr is on a distinguished road. (+10) crzyballr is on a distinguished road. (+10) crzyballr is on a distinguished road. (+10) crzyballr is on a distinguished road. (+10) crzyballr is on a distinguished road. (+10) crzyballr is on a distinguished road. (+10) crzyballr is on a distinguished road. (+10) crzyballr is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by MoxyPowers View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement! Normally, I would totally wait, but it's my anniversary and I'm going to allow myself some carbs at dinner. And I'm not going to beat myself up about it. The problem I've run into (over my entire life) is that I tend to start new things with a mindset of being completely perfect. And when any minor deviation occurs, I fall apart. Today I'm going to acknowledge that it's a special occasion, somewhat watch what I eat as I can, and let a few extra carbs happen.

Breakfast and lunch stayed within my macros and I'll be right back on track tomorrow morning. So, I supposed it not your typical 24 hour carb up.

Does it make my first week of Keto imperfect? Hell yeah it does. Am I going to beat myself up over it? Not this time. Am I going to get right back up on the horse tomorrow? You better believe it.
    Awesome Dedication! I myself have tried to do so in the past but failed so these days I just skip functions lol.. Ah well. Happy Anniversary BTW

Awesome Dedication! I myself have tried to do so in the past but failed so these days I just skip functions lol.. Ah well. Happy Anniversary BTW
    Thanks!! I had a fantastic time out with my hubby, which made the carb-y dinner totally worth it!

Yesterday I was back on track. I had a meeting for my derby team (I'm an official currently, but hope to skate on the team someday, which is part of my motivation for Keto). Anyway, the head official always has the most delicious baked goods. This time it was a mix of peanut butter, caramel, pretzels, and chocolate. Sooooooo tempting, but I was strong. (And luckily, usually I see her and the awesome-est baked goods ever on Saturdays when we're working derby bouts, so I'll have to work them in to carbing up now and then - haha).

I'm off work today, so I'm going to spend some time searching for Keto recipes. So far, I've found that Keto is pretty easy for me. I'm a meat and cheese kinda girl, so the cravings have been pretty few. The only things I've missed are:

1) Something Crunchy - Although I found a recipe here on the boards for microwaving shredded cheese until it's crunchy and that was pretty good. I think I need to pick up some pork rinds just in case the craving tries to get the better of me.
    2) Something Sweet - I'm going to pick up some sugar-free pudding today because my protein shake is just not cutting it when I need a sweet fix.
    3) Potatoes - I'll be yearning for carb-up days for these. Yesterday I had lunch at 5 Guys (a hamburger joint). They have my favorite fresh cut/fried french fries. Sooooooooooo delicious covered with vinegar. I'm drooling just thinking about it - haha! I resisted, but man, it was tough!

I suppose it's good to know your issues so that you can be prepared. :-)

GAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a smidge frustrated right now. I made a recipe that I thought would be pretty low carb. I mix a packet of fat-free sugar-free jello pudding, a container of cool whip, 2 cups of almond milk, and 4 scoops of protein powder. Usually I split it into about 6 portions (about 1 cup each). It's kind of a chocolate mousse. We call it puddin' surprise (don't ask me why, I have ridiculous names for my recipes . . . like Chicken Wendolini, but that's another story).

Anyway, I should have been more diligent about the nutrition labels. Sugar free pudding? . . . 8 freakin' carbs per serving. Cool Whip? . . . 50 carbs in the whole container. Damn!!! After I portioned it out (13 portions, 1/2 cup this time) the nutrition is 102 Calories, 3.8 grams of fat, 7.5 net carbs, and 7.2 grams protein. Which I supposed isn't terrible, but since I'm trying to stay under 20 carbs a day, I don't want a little snack that contains over a third of my net carbs. Plus, I had assumed the fat content would be higher from the cool whip.

All in all, not the end of the world by far, just a little annoying. Guess I'll have to try something different next time.

In other news, I made some kick-ass curry chicken salad for dinner! Yum! I think I'll go post it in the recipes section.

I know it's only week two, but I feel like singing the praises of Keto. I'm not hungry, I'm not craving, and I'm finding it easy to eat.

I know that sounds weird, eating being easy, but I have a strange relationship with food. I hate admitting to an eating disorder, because of the stigma involved, but I find honesty is usually the best policy. Especially being honest to myself. Anyway, I have a hard time not being preoccupied with food. It gets worse when I reduce my diet. I find myself hungry, which make me think about food, and then my mind starts to obsess. It's frustrating. But with Keto, I haven't been having those problems. It's fantastic!!

I know I'm on day 7 of keto and loving it so far!! Sudden energy bursts! Awesome food! and to top that Im down an inch and a half on my waist and 8 pounds in total.... Oh and I'm getting stronger in the gym.. LOVE KETO!!

I know I'm on day 7 of keto and loving it so far!! Sudden energy bursts! Awesome food! and to top that Im down an inch and a half on my waist and 8 pounds in total.... Oh and I'm getting stronger in the gym.. LOVE KETO!!
    That's so awesome!!! Great job!!! I forgot to take my measurements on day 1, so I had to do it over the weekend. I think I'm going to wait two weeks until I do it again. I hope I see as good of results as you have!

I had a true test tonight: A night out with my girls. Just about every Wednesday night we meet at a bar for drinks and knitting (yeah, we're not your grandmother's knitters). I'm not much of a drinker anymore, so just having a diet soda is not a problem, but I was concerned about what to eat without being obvious about cutting out the carbs (i.e. ordering a hamburger without the bun, etc). My friends are very supportive people, but eating high fat to lose fat is a hard concept to grasp at first and until I can show some big results, I don't feel like explaining myself. Anyway, we've decided to try out a new bar and it turns out that all of their apps are half price on Wednesday. And the girls and I love a good deal, which means we all had apps for dinner. Because, why not? So, problem solved, I got the chicken wings (after making sure they're not breaded). They were fantastic!! Totally satisfying and I didn't feel like the person eating the "weird" food. Sweet!

salumguilherme has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey Moxy,

Great work!
    I've read through your logs, and it only made me more motivated to keep going with it! I've recently started my keto (2 days ago at most) and I'm still feeling quit eenergetic and all that.

May I ask what are your fat intakes (what fats you're taking and where you're taking them from?)

I'm asking because most of my fats are mono or poly as I'm slightly afraid of taking up saturated fats! Thanks!

Originally Posted by salumguilherme View Post
    Hey Moxy,

Great work!
    I've read through your logs, and it only made me more motivated to keep going with it! I've recently started my keto (2 days ago at most) and I'm still feeling quit eenergetic and all that.

May I ask what are your fat intakes (what fats you're taking and where you're taking them from?)

I'm asking because most of my fats are mono or poly as I'm slightly afraid of taking up saturated fats! Thanks!
    Thanks! I'm so glad you're motivated!!!

I get my fats from a variety of sources. Last week I ate a few pounds of ground beef. I've also been eating cheese (a LOT of cheese), eggs, chicken, avocado, and olive oil. I also plan to start eating more coconut, simply because I love it! So, I'm getting quite a bit of saturated fat. Based on what I've read, I'm not too concerned about it; however, I'm going to have my cholesterol re-checked in 5 months. If it has not gone down (or goes up) I'll make a change. I don't anticipate that happening though.

Everyday since I've started Keto, I've felt great . . .

. . . until today. I am so very sick. Not from Keto, from a raging head cold. My husband has it, too. It came on really fast, too. Last night my throat started to get that "dry-no-matter-how-much-I drink" feeling and I remember thinking, "Uh-oh, I might be getting sick. It'll probably hit me this weekend and I'll have to take it easy." Then this morning I woke up feeling like I'd been run over by a bus. Super. So, I'm convalescing on the couch, lamenting the fact that I don't have any sugar-free couch drops. <sigh> Oh well, this is what sick days are for, right? Hope I feel better soon!

Ugh! Still so very sick!! I'm really kicking myself for not having kept any broth in the house. The only soup I have on hand is potato.

I still weighed myself this morning since it's Friday. 239.8lbs for another 2.8lb loss!!! And I'm pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with being sick, because it's a head cold, not a stomach bug and I made myself eat almost all of my calories for yesterday. If I wasn't feeling so sick right now, I'd be walking on air - haha!!

Boochie21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Boochie21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Boochie21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Boochie21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Boochie21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Boochie21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Boochie21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Boochie21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Boochie21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Boochie21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Boochie21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Get better girl !!!
    It's nice to see other females on keto
    The scientific and practical amount of carbohydrate needed in the diet is ZERO -- NONE. Dietary carbohydrates are not a requirement in any body function. In fact it appears that the lower the carbohydrate level in the diet the better the long-term health. Age-related degenerative diseases are caused by high levels of carbohydrates in the diet. One can be on a very low or zero-carbohydrate diet indefinitely as has been shown by the study of many primitive societies.

Originally Posted by Boochie21 View Post
    Get better girl !!!
    It's nice to see other females on keto
    Awwwww, thanks!!! I totally agree about other females on Keto!!

Ugh!! I'm still sick!! But I've managed to stay on track. I'm really proud of myself. My husband and I have both been ill, so we wanted to order takeout over the weekend. Normally I'd use this as an excuse to totally splurge on pizza (my favorite food!). But instead I decided we should get chinese delivered. The local restaurant has a special section of the menu where the steam the meat and veggies, so no worries about hidden carbs. I'll admit, it's not as satisfying as pizza in taste, but it was mentally satisfying to know I managed to keep eating right, despite being sick.

And that's a victory worth celebrating!!

I am FINALLY starting to feel human again! I haven't been sick like that in years. I have no idea what the deal is.

I didn't get a chance to go grocery shopping this weekend because of being sick, so I decided to just grab something for dinner on the way home. My favorite local mexican restaurant was calling my name, but all of my favorite dishes are full of carbs. Then I remembered the taco salad is perfect as long as I don't eat the shell/bowl: beef, cheese, guac, sour cream, lettuce, and diced tomatoes (just a little). Delicious!

I'm still doing pretty well. Can't believe it's week three already. I'm a little concerned about this weekend. I've got several outings planned with friends. We tend to go to small local restaurants with pretty limited menus. I'll do my very best and that's all I can do, but I'm still anxious about it.

Last night a friend of mine got a little judge-y about my diet. I had a cheeseburger without the bun and didn't eat the fries that came with it. All she said was, "that's not good for you" and then dropped it. I'm thankful it didn't go any farther as I don't want to have to justify keto, but I'm a little annoyed that she felt the need to say anything at all.

Next week I need to get serious about my workouts. I've been trying to take things slow: make sure I've got the diet under control before getting too gung-ho about the workouts. One thing at a time to make sure I'm getting it right. But I'm ready to start getting some upper body strength back. I've become such a weakling - haha! Someday I'd like to be a badass who can do one-armed pushups and a good number of pullups. It's good to have goals. :-)

yabbyshmabby is on a distinguished road. (+10) yabbyshmabby is on a distinguished road. (+10) yabbyshmabby is on a distinguished road. (+10) yabbyshmabby is on a distinguished road. (+10) yabbyshmabby is on a distinguished road. (+10) yabbyshmabby is on a distinguished road. (+10) yabbyshmabby is on a distinguished road. (+10) yabbyshmabby is on a distinguished road. (+10) yabbyshmabby is on a distinguished road. (+10) yabbyshmabby is on a distinguished road. (+10) yabbyshmabby is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Other people are typically an obstacle when it comes to keto......whether they don't understand the science behind it or they're just insecure about themselves. My advice to you is to do your best to ignore them. Don't feel ashamed about removing and discarding your bun. And remember, some restaurants will allow you to substitute a small salad or green veggies for fries. I hit up Waffle House once in a while and the waitress looks at me like I'm insane when I don't want toast or hashbrowns.....after a while it's fun to observe reactions.

Originally Posted by yabbyshmabby View Post
    Other people are typically an obstacle when it comes to keto......whether they don't understand the science behind it or they're just insecure about themselves. My advice to you is to do your best to ignore them. Don't feel ashamed about removing and discarding your bun. And remember, some restaurants will allow you to substitute a small salad or green veggies for fries. I hit up Waffle House once in a while and the waitress looks at me like I'm insane when I don't want toast or hashbrowns.....after a while it's fun to observe reactions.
    Thanks for the encouragement!!! I'll remember to get a side salad instead of the fries. That's a great idea! I think my friends are just uneducated about keto. They see the burger and think I'm clogging my arteries!

Weighed in this morning at 237.6lbs for another 2.2lb loss - WOOT!!!!!!!! I'm super excited because I'm sure that I'm passed the water-weight phase!!! Right on!!!

I weighed in again this morning because I was soooo close to my first goal . . . and I hit it!! 237.0: I've officially lost 5% of my total weight! My first rewards is to buy new skates, pads, and helmet for derby! The faster I get myself back into the right gear, the faster I can get to practicing, which will help me lose more weight and get into better shape. YEAH!!!!! I'm so happy right now!!!

Hell yeah!! Good on you moxy!! I was a baddie and pigged out 3 days last weekend. So gained 6 pounds in water weight :0 . Should drop off soon

also you inspired me to start my own log!!

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=141891431

come say hello
    Last edited by crzyballr; 01-31-2012 at 07:07 PM.

Hell yeah!! Good on you moxy!! I was a baddie and pigged out 3 days last weekend. So gained 6 pounds in water weight :0 . Should drop off soon

also you inspired me to start my own log!!

come say hello
    Thanks!!! I'll stop on by . . . :-)

Things are still going well. I'm getting my picture taken for derby this weekend and my only regret is that I didn't start Keto sooner. I'm going to look a lot different at the end of the season that at the beginning - woot!!

Work has been nuts lately and I've fallen a bit out of my routine. I need to get back to my daily breakfast omelet. I have a better day if I get a hearty breakfast rather than just grabbing something quick in the morning. Otherwise, I've been sticking to my macros. I've been particularly trying to create a list of nearby restaurants that are easy for me to eat at. My husband and I like to go out, especially on the weekends. The best so far has been "City BBQ." They have a sampler platter that is basically a big plate of different meats - delicious!!!

Weigh-in day results are in: 235.2 for another 2.4lbs gone!!!

Time is slipping by soooo very fast. This officially marks the end of my 4th week of Keto. I really just can't believe how well it has gone. No real cravings; It's pretty easy to eat no matter where I go; And keeping track of macros is so much easier than I anticipated.

Also, it's Friday. Today I feel good.

shepherd33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thank you so much for posting this! I started keto about two weeks ago but then had an emotional breakdown filled with 4 days of carbs, man did I feel terrible! Starting January 30th I'm back at it and finally starting to feel better after my carb-fest. Keep posting your success, it's keeping me motivated!

Also, have you checked out sinorslim.com? She has some great low-carb keto-friendly recipes, It's really been a life saver!

Congrats on a great first 4 weeks!

Originally Posted by shepherd33 View Post
    Thank you so much for posting this! I started keto about two weeks ago but then had an emotional breakdown filled with 4 days of carbs, man did I feel terrible! Starting January 30th I'm back at it and finally starting to feel better after my carb-fest. Keep posting your success, it's keeping me motivated!

Also, have you checked out sinorslim.com? She has some great low-carb keto-friendly recipes, It's really been a life saver!

Congrats on a great first 4 weeks!
    Aww, thanks for posting! Just keep at it, you'll get there!! It seems to get easier and easier for me as I find ways to overcome different situations. Sinorslim.com has been a great help. I made the deep dish pizza the other day (with my own twist on the toppings). Fantastic!!!

Today I tried almond flour pizza crust. I can't remember where I saw it (whether it was here or on another site), but it turned out pretty good. I'd been really craving cream cheese. It seems like one of the hardest things for me to overcome is what to do with certain "toppings/condiments" that I used to eat with bread or potato chips. I don't really just want a spoonful of cream cheese - haha! Anyway, I made the "crust" as thin as I could and used it like a crepe. It was awesome! I think I could do a lot of experimenting with this recipe.

Here it is:

Almond Flour Pizza Crust
    Ingredients
    1 tbs. almond meal
    1 tbsp parmesan cheese
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 egg

Directions:
    Mix and up then cook it in a skillet (like a pancake). If using it for a pizza crust, slap on a few toppings and throw it in the oven for a few minutes.

Yesterday I made pulled pork for the first time. My husband and I both love it, but sometimes I get a little nervous about branching out in the kitchen. It's not that I'm a bad cook, I'm just not very intuitive (I can follow a recipe, but have a harder time making my own). Anyway, all I did was buy a 3lb pork butt (shoulder), put it in my crockpot on low before I left for work, and voila!! All I had to do before we ate it was pull out the bones (the meat fell right off) and shred it with a fork. My husband smothered his in BBQ sauce, but I don't like the stuff (even if it was low carb, I prefer "dry" bbq'd meats or NC style with vinegar), so I just ate it straight up. The only diffference I think I might make next time is to add some "liquid smoke" to the pork while it cooks.

You know, my life isn't all sunshine and roses (hard to tell, right - haha!). I've got a stressful job, we're buying our first house (awesome, but still stressful), and I haven't taken a real vacation in MUCH too long. But food has always been my biggest source of stress. I'd either feel guilt for eating delicious, but unhealthy foods, or I'd be on a low-fat diet and constantly hungry with minimal results. For the first time, I really feel satisfied and in control. I feel like I can finally get my "real" body back (or at least stop hiding it with so much fat). In the grand scheme of things, life is good.

I bought my new skates today! Luckily, my size was in stock, but I have to wait for my pads and helmet to be ordered. I can't wait!!!