Motivation has returned Mikey Palmice's Avatar
    Mikey Palmice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mikey Palmice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mikey Palmice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mikey Palmice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mikey Palmice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mikey Palmice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mikey Palmice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mikey Palmice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mikey Palmice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mikey Palmice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mikey Palmice will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Saw Palmetto for Prostate and Hair Loss

Wanted to hear from some of the guys on here that use Saw Palmetto.

Prostate Cancer runs in my family and I take it for that. I realized I probably take too little though. The pill I have is 450 mg and is derived from Serenoa Repens in fruit form. I have been taking 1 per day, but I read I should really be taking 3 per day.

I also read that Saw Palmetto is good for hair loss/thinning as well. But that it might be bad for sex drive. My sex drive is very high at 36 years old. Hasn't really changed since I was a teenager, but maybe since I was under dosing, I haven't felt that side affect.

Basically, in your experience...........

1. Is Saw Palmetto good for reducing the chances for Prostate Cancer?

2. Is Saw Palmetto good for preventing hair loss/thinning?

3. Has anybody taken Saw Palmetto and experienced a drop in sex drive?

4. How do you dose your Saw Palmetto?

thanks

NpNg. Let's train diguincoutoreis's Avatar
    diguincoutoreis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) diguincoutoreis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) diguincoutoreis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) diguincoutoreis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) diguincoutoreis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) diguincoutoreis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) diguincoutoreis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) diguincoutoreis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) diguincoutoreis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) diguincoutoreis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) diguincoutoreis is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Mikey Palmice View Post
    Wanted to hear from some of the guys on here that use Saw Palmetto.

Prostate Cancer runs in my family and I take it for that. I realized I probably take too little though. The pill I have is 450 mg and is derived from Serenoa Repens in fruit form. I have been taking 1 per day, but I read I should really be taking 3 per day.

I also read that Saw Palmetto is good for hair loss/thinning as well. But that it might be bad for sex drive. My sex drive is very high at 36 years old. Hasn't really changed since I was a teenager, but maybe since I was under dosing, I haven't felt that side affect.

Basically, in your experience...........

1. Is Saw Palmetto good for reducing the chances for Prostate Cancer?

2. Is Saw Palmetto good for preventing hair loss/thinning?

3. Has anybody taken Saw Palmetto and experienced a drop in sex drive?

4. How do you dose your Saw Palmetto?

thanks
    1 - Yes
    2 - Yes
    3 - No
    4 - Used in another supplements, like GH Max, Animal Stak
    ~ GrowUpOrDieTryin'
    "For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.
    This is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance." 1 Timothy 4:8-10
    "Or don't you know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

diguincoutoreis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) diguincoutoreis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) diguincoutoreis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) diguincoutoreis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) diguincoutoreis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) diguincoutoreis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) diguincoutoreis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) diguincoutoreis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) diguincoutoreis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) diguincoutoreis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) diguincoutoreis is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Alternative medicine

Saw palmetto extract is the most popular herbal preparation taken for benign prostatic hyperplasia,[6] a common condition in older men. Early research indicated that the extract is well-tolerated and suggested "mild to moderate improvement in urinary symptoms and flow measures".[6][7] Later trials of higher methodological quality indicated no difference from placebo.[8][9] Questions of adequate blinding and delivery of any active ingredients remain.[10]

Inhibition of both forms of 5-alpha-reductase with no reduction in cellular capacity to secrete prostate-specific antigen is indicated.[11][12][13][14]

Other proposals for mechanisms of action include interfering with dihydrotestosterone binding to the androgen receptor, relaxing smooth muscle tissue similarly to alpha antagonist drugs, and acting as a phytoestrogen.[15][16]

Limited in vitro and animal model studies suggest possible anti-tumor activity and potential for use in the treatment of cancer.[11][17][18] These results have not been substantiated with human trials.

Saw palmetto extract has been suggested as a potential treatment for male pattern baldness.[19]

The latest Cochrane Database review (2009) concludes that "Serenoa repens was not more effective than placebo for treatment of urinary symptoms consistent with BPH".[1]

A 2001 study published in JAMA (The Journal of the American Medical Association) found that saw palmetto fruit extract failed to reduce urinary tract symptoms more than placebo. The double-blind study was conducted at eleven North American clinics and included 369 men.[20] Men in the experimental group experienced a 2.20 point drop in their American Urological Assn. Symptom Index (AUASI) score. However, men in the placebo group saw a 2.99 point drop. The Los Angeles Times reports, “42.6% of the men in the extract group saw their AUASI scores fall by at least three points; 44.2% of the men in the placebo group saw the same degree of benefit.” The study was funded by several offices within the NIH, including the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine.” [21]
    ~ GrowUpOrDieTryin'
    "For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.
    "Or don't you know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Mikey Palmice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mikey Palmice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mikey Palmice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mikey Palmice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mikey Palmice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mikey Palmice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mikey Palmice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mikey Palmice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mikey Palmice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mikey Palmice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mikey Palmice will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    thanks man

LiftToLive19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftToLive19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftToLive19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftToLive19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftToLive19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftToLive19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftToLive19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftToLive19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftToLive19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftToLive19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftToLive19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Mikey,

You may also want to look into the drug called "finasteride". It is commonly known as Propecia. I take this 1mg pill each day and it has the same effect as Saw Palmetto. You can buy it for pretty cheap online from overseas companies without a prescription.

I am actually 2 days away from finishing my Animal Pak multivitamin and will then begin taking my NOW Adam multivitamin, which includes Saw Palmetto in it (that is why I chose the product). Hopefully between my Finasteride and Saw Palmetto, it really will help my attempt to hault my hair loss and maybe even help regrow some hair.

If you are really concerned about hair loss, look into Toco 8 as well. I was just informed about it today and did a little research, and it does seem like something that is REALLY effective in regrowing head hair.

Originally Posted by LiftToLive19 View Post
    Mikey,

You may also want to look into the drug called "finasteride". It is commonly known as Propecia. I take this 1mg pill each day and it has the same effect as Saw Palmetto. You can buy it for pretty cheap online from overseas companies without a prescription.

I am actually 2 days away from finishing my Animal Pak multivitamin and will then begin taking my NOW Adam multivitamin, which includes Saw Palmetto in it (that is why I chose the product). Hopefully between my Finasteride and Saw Palmetto, it really will help my attempt to hault my hair loss and maybe even help regrow some hair.

If you are really concerned about hair loss, look into Toco 8 as well. I was just informed about it today and did a little research, and it does seem like something that is REALLY effective in regrowing head hair.
    You just reminded me. I take Now Adam and I love it. 320mg of Saw Palmetto in it already, so maybe I will just take 2 Saw Palmetto pills at 450mg each to get it up to 1220mg total per day.

As far as hair loss, I use Rogaine Foam which has given me great results. I need to get better at using it twice a day, because I hear it makes a huge difference if you don't. It works great as a hair styling product too, lol.

thanks for the advice. I will look into the Toco 8 as well

uubiduu will become famous soon enough. (+50) uubiduu will become famous soon enough. (+50) uubiduu will become famous soon enough. (+50) uubiduu will become famous soon enough. (+50) uubiduu will become famous soon enough. (+50) uubiduu will become famous soon enough. (+50) uubiduu will become famous soon enough. (+50) uubiduu will become famous soon enough. (+50) uubiduu will become famous soon enough. (+50) uubiduu will become famous soon enough. (+50) uubiduu will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    if saw palmetto acts similar to proscar could it also lead to fertility issues?

Originally Posted by Mikey Palmice View Post
    You just reminded me. I take Now Adam and I love it. 320mg of Saw Palmetto in it already, so maybe I will just take 2 Saw Palmetto pills at 450mg each to get it up to 1220mg total per day.

As far as hair loss, I use Rogaine Foam which has given me great results. I need to get better at using it twice a day, because I hear it makes a huge difference if you don't. It works great as a hair styling product too, lol.

thanks for the advice. I will look into the Toco 8 as well
    Was in doubt about SP dosage. Is 1220mg/day?
    ~ GrowUpOrDieTryin'

On my way to fitness town NeedToFlexMore's Avatar
    NeedToFlexMore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NeedToFlexMore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NeedToFlexMore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NeedToFlexMore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NeedToFlexMore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NeedToFlexMore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NeedToFlexMore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NeedToFlexMore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NeedToFlexMore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NeedToFlexMore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NeedToFlexMore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    if you get a prescription for Finasteride, get Proscar instead of Propecia, and cut the pill in 4.

Instead of 2$ a day, it is now 5$ a month.

Originally Posted by NeedToFlexMore View Post
    if you get a prescription for Finasteride, get Proscar instead of Propecia, and cut the pill in 4.

Instead of 2$ a day, it is now 5$ a month.
    Great! Thanks!