chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10) chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10) chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10) chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10) chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10) chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10) chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10) chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10) chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10) chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10) chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Ironmaster Quick-locks dumbbells - have you encountered this issue over time ?

I was watching a video of the Quick-locks dumbbells on You Tube and in the comments, one of the poster mentioned that with all of the weight changes (which you'll perform regularly), gouges are going to form on the inner portion of the plate holes, as the threads of the locking screws will gring at the holes.

How real a concern is this ? I take it that many on here have had those dumbbells - have you noticed this issue ?

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Not sure if I completely follow you, but if you're just talking about some scraping/dings on the inside of the holes on the plates....they're probably correct. However....every single plate I've had in my gym that got use had about zero pain in that hole because of the abuse it takes every time you put it on or take it off. Over time I guess there would be a (technically) measurable amount of metal gone, but I'm not sure how much of a difference or effect it will have on your lifts.

Heck, I've even seen some Ivanko owners complain that their plates aren't as tight on the bar as they use to be because of metal wear.....the plates aren't going to fall off though, so not much to do about it or much to worry about.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #4 ▪█─────█▪

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by chipdouglas View Post
    I was watching a video of the Quick-locks dumbbells on You Tube and in the comments, one of the poster mentioned that with all of the weight changes (which you'll perform regularly), gouges are going to form on the inner portion of the plate holes, as the threads of the locking screws will gring at the holes.

How real a concern is this ? I take it that many on here have had those dumbbells - have you noticed this issue ?
    I've owned a set of Ironmaster Quick-Lock dumbbells for nearly a year now. I use them roughly three times a week and make frequent weight changes. I've just inspected the sixteen most frequently used plates. Some of the paint in the holes is a bit worn, but in no case do I see shiny bare metal.

I would say that, provided you do the weight changes on a flat, reasonably hard surface, the potential issue raised by the youtube commenter is not a problem at all.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10) chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10) chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10) chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10) chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10) chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10) chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10) chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10) chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10) chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10) chipdouglas is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Both loading and unloading plates on any olympic bar wouldn't worry me in the least, as the bar has new locking screws with aggressive threading. It's a different matter on the IronMaster quick-lock dumbbells though. I'm not sure this is going to be a problem even in the long term though - I'm posting in order to find out whether some owners of the ironmaster dumbbells have noticed this over time.

KBKB :

Thanks - this was also my opinion, but I thought I'd ask over here nonetheless. I've only had the quick lock dumbbells for weeks so I couldn't tell, but you've had them for a year, so you have a much better idea as to whether or not the concerns of that You Tube poster are legit.

This is probably a non issue.

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    ... aggressive threading. ...
    Take a look at the portion of the lock screw sticking up out of the IM kettlebell in the photo below. It has threading running around a very small portion of the lock-screw.

The threading corresponds with the alignment notches in the handle and on the lock-screw. If you insert and remove the screw with the notch up, gravity will force the smooth part of the screw to rub against the plates as you insert and remove the screw.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

KBKB : the point you raised is correct - same is true for the quick lock dumbbells - indeed, this is a non issue when inserted into the handle as they should.

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Well Chip, I guess I don't understand what you're asking then, I thought I was helping you since you were just asking about wear on the holes in the plates. I didn't specifically say it, but I have 2 sets of the IM's and I've owned them for 2 years, so I was answering from experience. What issue might be made from wear on the plate holes that would make them different from the wear on an olympic plate/bar?

The holes on the IM plates don't engage in the locking mechanism, they just provide a place for the screw to go through.... just not sure what the concern is or worry.

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

Keetman :

I've just found out this is totally a non-issue - for some reason, I thought the locking screws engaged a lot more on the inside portion of the plate holes - when both notches are properly aligned, this becomes totally trivial. I should've checked this first before posting. I took the word of that You Tube poster - I'm usually more critical than this though, so I'm not sure why I wasn't this time - maybe I'm getting old LOL

Keetman :

I've just found out this is totally a non-issue - for some reason, I thought the locking screws engaged a lot more on the inside portion of the plate holes - when both notches are properly aligned, this becomes totally trivial. I should've checked this first before posting. I took the word of that You Tube poster - I'm usually more critical than this though, so I'm not sure why I wasn't this time - maybe I'm getting old LOL

Alright, still not sure what the youtube poster is concerned about though. Personally, I'd be more worried the screws would be taking abuse and wearing down more than the holes. Erosion of the screws could, theoretically, be an issue if enough metal was wore away.....but I've never heard anyone complain of issues.

You're not old friend.....at least not from my perspective as we're the same age. I have 2 months left in my 30's and I'm gonna live 'em up.

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

Originally Posted by Keetman View Post
    Alright, still not sure what the youtube poster is concerned about though. Personally, I'd be more worried the screws would be taking abuse and wearing down more than the holes. Erosion of the screws could, theoretically, be an issue if enough metal was wore away.....but I've never heard anyone complain of issues.

You're not old friend.....at least not from my perspective as we're the same age. I have 2 months left in my 30's and I'm gonna live 'em up.
    Geez, I too am turning 40 in March, so you probably know how I feel about this hahaha ! :-) I agree that, theoretically if enough metal wore away, the locking screws could...well, no longer be locking up securely. I think that occasional cleaning and/or a light coating of WD40 or some lube might prevent this. For what it's worth, I've also purchased the IM2000 and the super bench, because I found them at a price I couldn't pass on. Overall, I really find the equipment to be nice and pleasant to train on.

dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Geez, I too am turning 40 in March, so you probably know how I feel about this hahaha ! :-) I agree that, theoretically if enough metal wore away, the locking screws could...well, no longer be locking up securely..
    even if that did happen, id expect it to be a warranty issue and the handles/screws would get replaced...unless IM was out of business.
    "ive made the most impressive gains when i spent months with the heavy dumbbells and left the power rack cowering in the corner like the b**ch that it is"-anonymous

"sometimes when a mans alone, thats all you got is your dog"

"he fakes to the left. no. he fakes to the right. he doesnt fake. he thinks about faking. he pretends to fake. i dont know where i am. i cant breathe"