rackpullxtreme will become famous soon enough. (+50) rackpullxtreme will become famous soon enough. (+50) rackpullxtreme will become famous soon enough. (+50) rackpullxtreme will become famous soon enough. (+50) rackpullxtreme will become famous soon enough. (+50) rackpullxtreme will become famous soon enough. (+50) rackpullxtreme will become famous soon enough. (+50) rackpullxtreme will become famous soon enough. (+50) rackpullxtreme will become famous soon enough. (+50) rackpullxtreme will become famous soon enough. (+50) rackpullxtreme will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Brain fog, irritability, and inability to concentrate in keto for weeks now

when does this go away? I only notice that the brain fog, inability to concentrate, etc goes away when I carb up. I carbed up last weekend, and even did a mini carb up when I felt crappy on Wednesday, only to feel crappy and irritable all day today.

I've been doing keto since the end of Nov., and have only lost a couple of pounds.

Is this just not for me? I seriously will just stare at my computer or fool around for hours because I can't concentrate on the computer at work, and then try to find a carb snack so I can process information and work again.

It feels like my brain is shutting down, like there's not enough oxygen. I know i'm in ketosis because of the pee smell. Do I just say screw it?

I'm also raging and lashing out at people, never been like this before. I'm usually mellow.

Love the weekend carb ups though!

Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000)
    So, eat more carbs.
    "Arterial plaque is primarily composed of unsaturated fats particularly polyunsaturated ones." (Felton, C V, et al, Lancet, 1994, 344:1195)

How to bulk: http://70sbig.com/food/

Diet = http://i52.tinypic.com/21bhop.png
    ...or something like this daily. Problem? ;)

FFMI = 24

Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Aren't you the guy who's attempting vegetarian keto?

rackpullxtreme will become famous soon enough. (+50) rackpullxtreme will become famous soon enough. (+50) rackpullxtreme will become famous soon enough. (+50) rackpullxtreme will become famous soon enough. (+50) rackpullxtreme will become famous soon enough. (+50) rackpullxtreme will become famous soon enough. (+50) rackpullxtreme will become famous soon enough. (+50) rackpullxtreme will become famous soon enough. (+50) rackpullxtreme will become famous soon enough. (+50) rackpullxtreme will become famous soon enough. (+50) rackpullxtreme will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yes, I'm carbing up now and I feel "normal" again.

I just googled Atkins flu and some people get it for days, and others for months? I guess I'm in the latter.

I'm a pescatarian keto, as I eat some fish, eggs and milk.

I've been eating around 50g of carbs a day, and carbing up on the weekends per the Simply Shredded keto article chart guidelines.

Oh and I'm a 40 year old woman, not a man

Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Carus is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Alright, I think I'm beginning to see your problems. But first, can you post a sample diet?

Thank you.

Breakfast - Protein Pancakes: 1 scoop Nitro pro Cookies & Cream, 1 tbsp Coconut flour, 1 tbsp flaked coconut, 1 egg, 3 egg whites, drizzled with agave nectar syrup, 1 tbsp coconut oil

Snack - Questbar

Lunch - Fried tofu, salad with full fat dressing, (then added in a whole wheat roll here with 1tsp butter when I started having Induction flu)

Snack - 10-12 Macadamia Nuts

Dinner - Chicken substitute and stir fried veggies with 1 tbsp coconut oil, 1 scoop Nitro pro Cookies and Cream Whey Shake,

Snack - (if hungry) 1 cheese stick
    Last edited by rackpullxtreme; 01-07-2012 at 03:32 PM.

Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by rackpullxtreme View Post
    agave nectar syrup.
    Mistake 1
    "Arterial plaque is primarily composed of unsaturated fats particularly polyunsaturated ones." (Felton, C V, et al, Lancet, 1994, 344:1195)

FFMI = 24

Originally Posted by Atavis View Post
    Mistake 1
    Well I've added some carbs back in, because the brain fog was making it so that I couldn't function at work. I know that's low glycemic, but I have less than 1/2 of tsp of it.

I
    Well I've added some carbs back in, because the brain fog was making it so that I couldn't function at work. I know that's low glycemic, but I have less than 1/2 of tsp of it.
    Oh don't get me wrong I support the addition of carbs for you. However agave nectar syrup typically runs somewhere in the vicinity of 50 to 90 % fructose, which you should avoid on low carb days.

FFMI = 24

Wow, the problems here are far worse than I thought. I'm typing on my phone right now, but when I get home to my computer, there's going to be a hefty write-up.

icecold9487 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) icecold9487 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) icecold9487 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) icecold9487 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) icecold9487 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) icecold9487 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) icecold9487 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) icecold9487 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) icecold9487 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    shoot for zero carbs and keep that going for a couple weeks until you start to feel good. you are dancing on the edge of ketosis and your body is probably going in and out of it. some people can't stay in ketosis at 50 grams of cho. especially when they are first starting off.

Thanks everyone, I have been hospitalized for anorexia so I don't want a relapse. I appreciate the input.

How the $%^& did this become a five star thread? LOL!

Because I have a five star booty?
    Last edited by rackpullxtreme; 01-07-2012 at 03:27 PM.

Alright, where to begin.

It irks me when people insist that keto is all about the 65/30/5 ratio of fat/protein/carbs. That's a huge generalization and misses the target of what it's really about.

Keto is about eating real food. It's about eating the way our Paleolithic ancestors ate in times where vegetation was scarce but animal flesh was plentiful. Doing so triggers ketosis, a survival mechanism which taps into our fat reserves and utilizes that for energy. This means that you need to be eating red meat, pork, chicken, eggs, organ meats, etc. If it comes prepared with a list of ingredients that you can't pronounce, you're doing it wrong. I'm not sure why you've chosen to avoid red meat and chicken, but understand that doing so will make it much more difficult to attain optimal health. I've known so many vegans who feel great at first, but begin experiencing severe side effects a couple of years down the line: weight gain, high blood lipids, sluggishness, joint problems, and depression, just to name a few. The fact that you're already utilizing coconut oil and butter is a step in the right direction, but it's not enough. Eat real protein from a variety of animal sources. Stop relying so much on the protein powders, you're missing out on a wealth of vitamins and nutrients.

Furthermore, soy is not healthy. I don't care that the Japanese have eaten it for hundreds of years. Their soy dishes were eaten as side dishes to protein heavy meals made up of either fatty fish, eggs, or wild boar. Not only that, but their soy is nothing like the mutant variety that we now grow and put on store shelves. Modern soy does far more harm than good, avoid it.

Finally, when you experience induction flu, you're not supposed to treat it right away with a small dose of carbs. The first two weeks of keto, you're supposed to minimize carbs as much as possible and tough it out until your body adapts. If you're feeling really sluggish and need to get work done, take a B6 heavy multi-vitamin along with two tablespoons of virgin coconut oil. That should give you a boost.

Here's my prescription for you. Spend the next week off your diet and eat whatever makes you happy in any amount, a full diet break. This will act as a hormonal reset and recalibrate your leptin and endorphin levels. After this, begin induction anew. This time, avoid protein powders, soy, and meat substitutes. No snacking on small amounts of carbs, you need to get your body used to this state. For this reason, I recommend that you don't bother counting calories and worrying about real weight loss until the two weeks of induction are finished and your body is fully adapted. Just remember to eat high amounts of fat (saturated fat is what you should aim for) and moderate amounts of protein from real food.

Also eat your leafy greens. You need to get that fiber.
    Last edited by Carus; 01-08-2012 at 02:08 AM.

LaxFiles is on a distinguished road. (+10) LaxFiles is on a distinguished road. (+10) LaxFiles is on a distinguished road. (+10) LaxFiles is on a distinguished road. (+10) LaxFiles is on a distinguished road. (+10) LaxFiles is on a distinguished road. (+10) LaxFiles is on a distinguished road. (+10) LaxFiles is on a distinguished road. (+10) LaxFiles is on a distinguished road. (+10) LaxFiles is on a distinguished road. (+10) LaxFiles is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Holy ****, I am in the exact same predicament as you. Word to word!

Fiz-iks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Fiz-iks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Fiz-iks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Fiz-iks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Fiz-iks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Fiz-iks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Fiz-iks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Fiz-iks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Fiz-iks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Fiz-iks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Fiz-iks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Carus View Post
    Alright, where to begin.

It irks me when people insist that keto is all about the 65/30/5 ratio of fat/protein/carbs. That's a huge generalization and misses the target of what it's really about.

Keto is about eating real food. It's about eating the way our Paleolithic ancestors ate in times where vegetation was scarce but animal flesh was plentiful. Doing so triggers ketosis, a survival mechanism which taps into our fat reserves and utilizes that for energy. This means that you need to be eating red meat, pork, chicken, eggs, organ meats, etc. If it comes prepared with a list of ingredients that you can't pronounce, you're doing it wrong. I'm not sure why you've chosen to avoid red meat and chicken, but understand that doing so will make it much more difficult to attain optimal health. I've known so many vegans who feel great at first, but begin experiencing severe side effects a couple of years down the line: weight gain, high blood lipids, sluggishness, joint problems, and depression, just to name a few. The fact that you're already utilizing coconut oil and butter is a step in the right direction, but it's not enough. Eat real protein from a variety of animal sources. Stop relying so much on the protein powders, you're missing out on a wealth of vitamins and nutrients.

Furthermore, soy is not healthy. I don't care that the Japanese have eaten it for hundreds of years. Their soy dishes were eaten as side dishes to protein heavy meals made up of either fatty fish, eggs, or wild boar. Not only that, but their soy is nothing like the mutant variety that we now grow and put on store shelves. Modern soy does far more harm than good, avoid it.

Finally, when you experience induction flu, you're not supposed to treat it right away with a small dose of carbs. The first two weeks of keto, you're supposed to minimize carbs as much as possible and tough it out until your body adapts. If you're feeling really sluggish and need to get work done, take a B6 heavy multi-vitamin along with two tablespoons of virgin coconut oil. That should give you a boost.

Here's my prescription for you. Spend the next week off your diet and eat whatever makes you happy in any amount, a full diet break. This will act as a hormonal reset and recalibrate your leptin and endorphin levels. After this, begin induction anew. This time, avoid protein powders, soy, and meat substitutes. No snacking on small amounts of carbs, you need to get your body used to this state. For this reason, I recommend that you don't bother counting calories and worrying about real weight loss until the two weeks of induction are finished and your body is fully adapted. Just remember to eat high amounts of fat (saturated fat is what ysides ou should aim for) and moderate amounts of protein from real food.

Also eat your leafy greens. You need to get that fiber.
    This.

You are never really getting into keto besides a few short bursts. As your body prepares to enter ketosis you eat carbs and take yourself out of it, this is also why you are not experiencing the fat burning effects.
    *Strong Everything 2018 Champion*

amostofi1999 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) amostofi1999 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) amostofi1999 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) amostofi1999 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) amostofi1999 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) amostofi1999 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) amostofi1999 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) amostofi1999 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) amostofi1999 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) amostofi1999 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) amostofi1999 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    reducing protein and eliminating all protein supplements worked for me.
    my main fat sources are omega3 eggs, coconut oil,olive oil, salmon, grape seed oil and some fish oil caps

halfbr3d is just really nice. (+1000) halfbr3d is just really nice. (+1000) halfbr3d is just really nice. (+1000) halfbr3d is just really nice. (+1000) halfbr3d is just really nice. (+1000) halfbr3d is just really nice. (+1000) halfbr3d is just really nice. (+1000) halfbr3d is just really nice. (+1000) halfbr3d is just really nice. (+1000) halfbr3d is just really nice. (+1000) halfbr3d is just really nice. (+1000)
    Try adding organic coconut oil to your diet. MCT's help with brain fog and energy levels.

I have a teaspoon mixed in my morning coffee with heavy whipping cream.

Wtf? is just really nice. (+1000) Wtf? is just really nice. (+1000) Wtf? is just really nice. (+1000) Wtf? is just really nice. (+1000) Wtf? is just really nice. (+1000) Wtf? is just really nice. (+1000) Wtf? is just really nice. (+1000) Wtf? is just really nice. (+1000) Wtf? is just really nice. (+1000) Wtf? is just really nice. (+1000) Wtf? is just really nice. (+1000)
    Had that same problem....it's why I ended up carbing up..figured it was time. Now day3 in ketosis and I'm still f'd up.
    1k.
    I rape back faster if you paste a link in rape box.

Fatebound is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fatebound is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fatebound is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fatebound is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fatebound is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fatebound is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fatebound is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fatebound is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fatebound is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fatebound is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fatebound is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i'm having no problems with fishoil+multi ~8 or so eggs a day steak/bacon/pork/salmon

NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    How I see it; all rewiring comes with some, ahem...difficulties. Why should it be an easy transition? Think of it this way, you've been thriving on one way of eating for 19 years. Of course your body will struggle to keep functioning exactly the way it's always been. It won't take another 19 years to adjust to keto, but it will definitely take some time.

It took me quite a while, with many 'on and off' failures/successes. But I kept getting back on that wagon because I wanted this. I wanted to know what others talked about, the long term perks of keto. I wanted to be naturally lean, and to see if I'd feel different by not having a carb addiction--which demands grainy/processes delights soon after I put the fork down.

It takes time OP, and a great deal of dedication--this is why most people can't make the switch to keto, and bail so early on. They relapse similar to junkies when trying to go clean. Keto is not for everyone, mainly because those initial months are simply unbearable for most.

Most people also want instant results, which is why many perceive keto to be some sort of 'diet.' However, for me it's become a lifestyle, a permanent fixture in my life.
    “Any idiot can face a crisis, it is this day-to-day living that wears you out.” Anton Chekhov

"10% of life, is what happens to you--90% is how you respond to it."

"I know that I know nothing"--Socrates

PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    OP, I have been more or less lurking through your threads here the past few weeks. Really you need to give up on keto. I am not saying this to be mean, but if you are having this much trouble with it, go to something that fits your lifestyle and personal preference a bit more. How about trying a 33/33/33 diet with all whole food? That might be something you can stay on for an extended period of time. Note that you need WHOLE FOODS, if you can't shoot it, pick it, or forage for it, don't eat it.

TW
    "There are no OFF days, just days you don't go to the gym."

Carb-Up does NOT mean Binge and Cheat!

Long Term Goal:
    225 lbs
    <10% BF

Wtf? is just really nice. (+1000) Wtf? is just really nice. (+1000) Wtf? is just really nice. (+1000) Wtf? is just really nice. (+1000) Wtf? is just really nice. (+1000) Wtf? is just really nice. (+1000) Wtf? is just really nice. (+1000) Wtf? is just really nice. (+1000) Wtf? is just really nice. (+1000) Wtf? is just really nice. (+1000) Wtf? is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by PennState View Post
    OP, I have been more or less lurking through your threads here the past few weeks. Really you need to give up on keto. I am not saying this to be mean, but if you are having this much trouble with it, go to something that fits your lifestyle and personal preference a bit more. How about trying a 33/33/33 diet with all whole food? That might be something you can stay on for an extended period of time. Note that you need WHOLE FOODS, if you can't shoot it, pick it, or forage for it, don't eat it.

TW
    His symptoms are common and has happened to many of us.
    1k.
    I rape back faster if you paste a link in rape box.

PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Wtf? View Post
    His symptoms are common and has happened to many of us.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/search...rchid=73330461

Check out some of her other posts. Not just this one. In my completely unprofessional, non-official opinion she should look into other healthy lifestyle options. No more than an onlookers opinion based on the concerns, pitfalls, and problems she has faced thus far on a keto diet.

If a keto diet is not easily sustainable then how is she going to stick with it for any substantial length of time?

TW
    Last edited by PennState; 01-11-2012 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Adding more mumbo-jumbo
    "There are no OFF days, just days you don't go to the gym."

Carb-Up does NOT mean Binge and Cheat!

Long Term Goal:
    225 lbs
    <10% BF

AussieMelb is on a distinguished road. (+10) AussieMelb is on a distinguished road. (+10) AussieMelb is on a distinguished road. (+10) AussieMelb is on a distinguished road. (+10) AussieMelb is on a distinguished road. (+10) AussieMelb is on a distinguished road. (+10) AussieMelb is on a distinguished road. (+10) AussieMelb is on a distinguished road. (+10) AussieMelb is on a distinguished road. (+10) AussieMelb is on a distinguished road. (+10) AussieMelb is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have been on keto for about 4 weeks now and doing well. When I have the lack of energy I have a table spoon of olive oil to get me through to the next meal. I find that I do get a bit moody on keto as well and have to keep on reminding myself that it is the diet doing it to me not the people around me.

Thanks everyone. I'm not off of keto per see, but following Lyle's suggestion where most who struggle with keto need closer to 100 g of carbs a day. I was doing better this past week on about 75g of carbs a day, after a big weekend refeed.

I'm still eating at a deficit, which is the most important.

_Absolut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) _Absolut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) _Absolut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) _Absolut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) _Absolut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) _Absolut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) _Absolut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) _Absolut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) _Absolut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) _Absolut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) _Absolut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks everyone. I'm not off of keto per see, but following Lyle's suggestion where most who struggle with keto need closer to 100 g of carbs a day. I was doing better this past week on about 75g of carbs a day, after a big weekend refeed.

I'm still eating at a deficit, which is the most important.
    with 75g per day, I am not sure if you need a carb up period, but we have much more knowledgable people on this board than me

samh2011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) samh2011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) samh2011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) samh2011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) samh2011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) samh2011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) samh2011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) samh2011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) samh2011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) samh2011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) samh2011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Oh and I'm a 40 year old woman, not a man
    stop being a douchbag, and stop wasting peoples time on this board....just a quick browse through your post history clearly proves your are a guy. If you are in fact a 40 year old women who 'bangs bitches' and uses the word 'brah' often then i will apologise... overwise clear off