Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    The Italian Scallion BrotherWolf's Avatar
    BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MrB1g View Post
    So you're not willing to comment on their Olympic lifting form, but you're willing to comment on their strongman lifting form.

It's not about whether most people have heard of it or not, they DID NOT in ANY WAY do it as it was supposed to be done. Go and compare it to a competitive strongman and try and say that they're doing it as it is supposed to be done.

How is the form of these 'veteran' CrossFit lifters and the certified coaching of 'yeah', 'good' and 'nice' in ANYWAY congruous with strongman?

Because you do seem to be acting as something of a CrossFit apologist I am VERY curious why you're not willing to comment on their Olympic lifting while defending their strongman lifting passionately.
    You must have reading disabilities ...

I said previously I couldn't care less about Crossfit or their training practices ..

My comment was about one specific video that apparently you haven't seen so really you should have nothing to say about it .. it was my impression you knew what I was talking about since you posted that picture
    obviously you don't so case close
    who says love has to be soft and gentle ?

BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by rockangel View Post
    Even if it is their first time, shouldnt the lifter be more concerned about proper form and safety, than about the speed or weight that was lifted???
    Did you see the video in question ?? I am just curious

MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by BrotherWolf View Post
    You must have reading disabilities ...

I said previously I couldn't care less about Crossfit or their training practices ..

My comment was about one specific video that apparently you haven't seen so really you should have nothing to say about it .. it was my impression you knew what I was talking about since you posted that picture
    obviously you don't so case close
    Right.

Might as well just break it down to the basic point because you think I'm an idiot in this discussion and I think you're an idiot in this discussion which isn't particularly productive.

You think that their form was not particularly bad given the context of the specific lift - 'that is how it is'.

I think that when compared to actual strongman competitors their form is extremely bad and the coaching instruction received is even worse. Seeing as this thread was about CrossFit I thought further discussion of form (Olympic lifting) was appropriate.

Best of luck with your training - great program.

Seeing as this thread was about CrossFit I thought further discussion of form (Olympic lifting) was appropriate.
    if you put it this way I know some excellent CF coaches who have background in oly lifting who are absolutely fantastic coaches and others who shouldn't be coaching oly lifting
    just like I know some awful strongman competitors who perform some of the lifts lets just say ..in a less than safe manner .. with that said if there is one sport that does not care much about form is strongman .. just take the atlas stone for example how smart is it to pick up a large round object and purposely round your back to get it up , there is no good/bad form in strongman, in a strongman comp you do your event in anyway possible and sure strongmen pay attention to technique (not form) technique and from are 2 different things

MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    if you put it this way I know some excellent CF coaches who have background in oly lifting who are absolutely fantastic coaches and others who shouldn't be coaching oly lifting
    just like I know some awful strongman competitors who perform some of the lifts lets just say ..in a less than safe manner .. with that said if there is one sport that does not care much about form is strongman .. just take the atlas stone for example how smart is it to pick up a large round object and purposely round your back to get it up , there is no good/bad form in strongman, in a strongman comp you do your event in anyway possible and sure strongmen pay attention to technique (not form) technique and from are 2 different things
    Of course - it's the same across all sports, and I agree re. bodybuilding style training often being worse again.

Valid point re. strongman. I honestly took more issue with the coaching then the individuals. No one can be expected to lift with correct form when they're doing it apparently as a one off. I'm just left wondering why they'd try such a specific lift as a one off and what the point of having instructors there was when all they did was compliment with no constructive criticism/advice.

The advantage of only really supporting raw powerlifting in terms of form standards - it's niche enough that good form is far more common across the board then in other disciplines!

Of course - it's the same across all sports, and I agree re. bodybuilding style training often being worse again.

Valid point re. strongman. I honestly took more issue with the coaching then the individuals. No one can be expected to lift with correct form when they're doing it apparently as a one off. I'm just left wondering why they'd try such a specific lift as a one off and what the point of having instructors there was when all they did was compliment with no constructive criticism/advice.
    that's what I was trying to explain you can't judge CF or anything really by watching one video of a bunch of people playing around with something they've never done and probably never will again there was no coaching just a little direction and some cheering ..
    they were just playing around , I actually know for a fact that the CF guy who took the video is a decent Oly lift coach ..

I am not a CF fan but I don't like when things are taken out of context

The advantage of only really supporting raw powerlifting in terms of form standards - it's niche enough that good form is far more common across the board then in other disciplines!
    In training maybe but in competition ? it's not easy to have perfect form when lifting you max and form is relative to your physical characteristics/limitations lots of elite level Plers deadlift with rounded back for example
    pure strength makes up for less then perfect form or technique , in oly lifting for example technique is much more important than just strenght

that's what I was trying to explain you can't judge CF or anything really by watching one video of a bunch of people playing around with something they've never done and probably never will again there was no coaching just a little direction and some cheering ..
    they were just playing around , I actually know for a fact that the CF guy who took the video is a decent Oly lift coach ..

I am not a CF fan but I don't like when things are taken out of context

In training maybe but in competition ? it's not easy to have perfect form when lifting you max and form is relative to your physical characteristics/limitations lots of elite level Plers deadlift with rounded back for example
    pure strength makes up for less then perfect form or technique , in oly lifting for example technique is much more important than just strenght
    I'm aware of that - if you read my earlier posts you might have noticed that I wasn't trying to judge the whole discipline, I judge individual things on their merit. The merit of the strongman revival video to me was zilch. Similarly the video of the CrossFit games was shocking. Does it mean all of CrossFit is at the same standard? No. But in my general experience, if you're looking specifically at powerlifting/olympic lifting videos you need to spend a bit of time searching to find an example of outright bad form (I know some powerlifters prefer upper back rounding and contend it's safer - not my thing but hey) whereas with CrossFit it seems if you type 'CrossFit' in google you could practically poke a stick at a video and get something like that CrossFit games video I posted.

That's my main issue with CrossFit but I'm sure there are excellent facilities around (which I already conceded).

The only other point I wanted to make was that if it's a few people playing around with something new, that's fine, but I don't think the best way to advertise that is by writing that they are veteran lifters being supervised/instructed by certified strongman coaches in the video description

Best of luck with your training!

THRIVVE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Miranda View Post
    i'm curious - if crossfit produces 'athletes', and a definition of an athlete would be an individual who competes at a sport, what sport do crossfitters train for?
    or is it an entity unto itself, and being good at crossfit games is the goal?
    We compete in the sport of fitness.

Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by THRIVVE View Post
    We compete in the sport of fitness.
    fitness is not a sport.
    "The human race is still largely a group of monkeys with slightly better grooming habits. Give them a microscope and and they'll examine their own ****, give them a telescope and they'll go looking for tits."

Pike717 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pike717 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pike717 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pike717 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pike717 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pike717 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pike717 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pike717 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pike717 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pike717 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pike717 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by IntegratedFit View Post
    Female Pro Bodybuilder Toni West tries out CrossFit for the First Time Video http://if-fit.com/crossfit-blog/toni...ssfit-workout/

While Female Bodybuilding and CrossFit are very different sports. Many Female Bodybuilders would make great CrossFit athletes.
    no they wouldnt. No differnt than male bber's. Bber's do not train to be athletes. Pike

BebeJane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BebeJane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BebeJane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BebeJane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BebeJane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BebeJane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BebeJane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BebeJane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BebeJane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BebeJane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BebeJane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    crossfit teaches terrible form and you will die if you participate. /thread.

Raven88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    being naturally heavy footed I'd never do crossfit. And if I did i'd hurt myself