Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    buffmuscle1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

1g of protein per pound is a myth!?!?!?

I was researching around about using expired whey protein and came across a comment claiming that the 1 g of protein per pound of body weight is a myth. He was linking to articles and videos supporting his claim. I haven't read through all of them but if it is true it would seem it would contradict the "knowledge" of SO MANY people regarding nutrition including coaches, personal trainers, etc...

Since I can't post links. Just google: 6 Month Expired Whey Protein (promealreplacementshakes.com)

click the 1st link and scroll down to the 1st comment.

Thoughts?

ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i've gotten away with 20 grams less of that and seing gains just fine.
    FLAT: 225x11 INCLINE DB 100x9 incline bench 225x8 deadlift: [RETIRED!! OUTTA HERE] FS: 225X8

buffmuscle1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ectobruh View Post
    nice to know that. I've been eating a lot more lately and have trouble meeting my supposed protein daily goals which was 0.8-1.5g per/lb. Was going to consider buying protein powder but now that I found out about this, definitely not investing in that.

nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Everything I've read by multiple sources I trust (Alan, layne, martin etc) all seem to agree on 1 gram per BW. However, based on my own experience, I never really noticed a difference, total calories always affected my strength and mass much more. I average around 140 at a weight of 176 currently.

witty comment goes here SimonThePieman's Avatar
    SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by buffmuscle1 View Post
    I was researching around about using expired whey protein and came across a comment claiming that the 1 g of protein per pound of body weight is a myth. He was linking to articles and videos supporting his claim. I haven't read through all of them but if it is true it would seem it would contradict the "knowledge" of SO MANY people regarding nutrition including coaches, personal trainers, etc...

Since I can't post links. Just google: 6 Month Expired Whey Protein (promealreplacementshakes.com)

Thoughts?
    There are NO facts for correct amounts of ANY macro. There are guesstimates for the general population. 1g is a good catchment number.

Going over the minimum requirement will result in no negative effects, but going will. So it's better aim in the upper bounds.

The same goes for fats and other essential nutrients
    Saying Zyzz inspired you to lift is like saying Justin Bieber inspired you to sing

soiceage is just really nice. (+1000) soiceage is just really nice. (+1000) soiceage is just really nice. (+1000) soiceage is just really nice. (+1000) soiceage is just really nice. (+1000) soiceage is just really nice. (+1000) soiceage is just really nice. (+1000) soiceage is just really nice. (+1000) soiceage is just really nice. (+1000) soiceage is just really nice. (+1000) soiceage is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ectobruh View Post
    how do you know you wouldnt of seen better gains eating that +20?

determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz
    How do some of you eat SO LITTLE protein.
    I couldnt eat normally/things I like and stay under 1g/lb
    Founder of MMDELAD
    "Micros Matter Dont Eat Like A Dumba**" (hydrogenated oils, shortening, mono and di-glycerides don't fit in my macros)

Does Not Count Macros Crew

"Think in terms of limits and the result is limitation
    Think in terms of progress and the result is progression"

my day:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156294333

Training Philosophy to be strong: 1. Pick Weights up off the ground 2. Squat them 3. Push them over your head

HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thoughts?
    Sufficient protein intake varies on a lot of different factors. The most notable would be if you're in a caloric surplus or deficit and what your energy intake and TDEE is.

When in a caloric surplus protein intake doesn't need to be as high than when you're in a caloric deficit.
    IIFYM - not even once.

www.AlanAragon.com

coke and hookers? IIFYM Verbalcody's Avatar
    Verbalcody will become famous soon enough. (+50) Verbalcody will become famous soon enough. (+50) Verbalcody will become famous soon enough. (+50) Verbalcody will become famous soon enough. (+50) Verbalcody will become famous soon enough. (+50) Verbalcody will become famous soon enough. (+50) Verbalcody will become famous soon enough. (+50) Verbalcody will become famous soon enough. (+50) Verbalcody will become famous soon enough. (+50) Verbalcody will become famous soon enough. (+50) Verbalcody will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Theres no hard facts about ANY of this food related malarky, how much of which stat you should eat and which works faster for whatever body type. People have good results with proper diet and attribute it to what they ate. Eat less, excersize more. The rest of it will find its way.
    He learned no lessons
    He acknowledged no mistakes

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    lol

People would rather go by one anecdote of "it did me no harm" rather than the collective opinion of experts - who a) understand human biology, b) lift and are successful at lifting, c) have clients who have success following their advice. Not to mention the contents of peer reviewed clinical trials.

Broscience diploma is in the post.

rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    1-g- per pound is a way to keep the math simple and provide sufficient protein. If you want to get more into the minutiae and use the accepted data, at least for athletes, then you can and you'll find .8/g/kg/bw is the lowest recommendation for sedentary folks, and those exercising and training will need 1.0-1.8/g/kg/bw, with an exception of up to 2.2/g/kg/bw, for high endurance athletes and in active children. Now that is what research would say is the most you can take that will still be sufficient for metabolic needs. In other words the least you should consume. So to simplify, 1/g/lb/bw works just fine. If you like a higher number by all means do so, I do many days, some days I likely eat less than that. Bottom line is you can be either side of the number and you'll be fine, muscle isn't going to just fall off of you because you didn't eat 1/g/lb/bw, or 2/g/lb/bw for a meal, or days or whatever. Not if you're healthy!

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    ^ Exactly.

For an excellent discussion of the issues at hand, please see: Contemporary Issues in Protein Requirements and Consumption for Resistance Trained Athletes.

Gnadenlos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gnadenlos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gnadenlos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gnadenlos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gnadenlos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gnadenlos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gnadenlos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gnadenlos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gnadenlos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gnadenlos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gnadenlos will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by determined4000 View Post
    How do some of you eat SO LITTLE protein.
    I couldnt eat normally/things I like and stay under 1g/lb
    You probably weigh about 9 stone though. Sometimes it's harder than you'd think to eat 250g of protein a day.
    "What is happiness? The feeling that power is increasing--that resistance is being overcome."
    - Nietzsche

nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nads786 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    lol

People would rather go by one anecdote of "it did me no harm" rather than the collective opinion of experts - who a) understand human biology, b) lift and are successful at lifting, c) have clients who have success following their advice. Not to mention the contents of peer reviewed clinical trials.

I think the question OP is really asking is "how much does it matter" is it responsible for 30% of my results? 20%? 5%?

People are always saying X matters but nobody really says how much? Has anyone here been "under fed" protein and made horrible progress and when meeting requirements made a transformation? I doubt it, protein is one of several factors IMO that help one achieve the physique they want.

Originally Posted by Gnadenlos View Post
    You probably weigh about 9 stone though. Sometimes it's harder than you'd think to eat 250g of protein a day.
    Here is what I don't get, why would someone who weighs 250lbs need that much protein even in a deficient? Fat doesn't need protein only the muscles do, shouldn't your protein requirements be based on lean body weight not scale weight?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by nads786 View Post
    Here is what I don't get, why would someone who weighs 250lbs need that much protein even in a deficient? Fat doesn't need protein only the muscles do, shouldn't your protein requirements be based on lean body weight not scale weight?
    I prefer to go with minimum of 1g per lbs of lean body mass. The bodyweight based ones tend to rely on people being of average BF%. Overweight people actually need less protein so clearly this doesn't work too well for them.

jbragg10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbragg10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbragg10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbragg10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbragg10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbragg10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbragg10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbragg10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbragg10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbragg10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbragg10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think 1g of protein is what to go by. If you are off a little a few days, no big deal. It is just a number to help.

Not sure about the science or facts, but as a testimony, I saw a huge difference when eating closer to 1g of protein when I was cutting.

Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Thoughts?
    Of course it's a myth, this whole site is a myth. They also promote supplements that destroy your health. Use your brain.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    i eat one gram per pair of shoes and shirts, works well.
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    lol

What are you talking about? It's the exact opposite; nobody who has studied human biology has ever claimed that you need 1g per lb of bodyweight to gain muscle, not even one scientist or scientific study in the world claims bodybuilders need 1 g per lb of bodyweight. As a matter of fact, science shows otherwise. 0.5 g per lb of bodyweight is more than enough.

Menschie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Menschie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Menschie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Menschie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Menschie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Menschie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Menschie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Menschie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Menschie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Menschie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Menschie will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    So much passion about protein. Haha. I eat 1g/lb because it's easy and I like it. There's lots of good advice, and way more bad which people are still getting huge with. So do what you're going to do. Personally I take the advice of the long time success stories on here, and even then I choose the advice that makes it the easiest for me.

Menschie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Menschie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Menschie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Menschie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Menschie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Menschie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Menschie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Menschie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Menschie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Menschie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Menschie will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Merkava View Post
    Of course it's a myth, this whole site is a myth. They also promote supplements that destroy your health. Use your brain.
    (insert drama music here... Dum dum dummmmmmmm)

SWThomas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SWThomas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SWThomas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SWThomas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SWThomas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SWThomas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SWThomas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SWThomas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SWThomas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SWThomas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SWThomas is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    LOL at all the guys with skinny dudes in their avatars talking about eating less than 1g per pound...

IFBB Amateur, M. Physique ArchangelEST's Avatar
    ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Give me one example of a supplement that destroy's your health.

What are you talking about? It's the exact opposite; nobody who has studied human biology has ever claimed that you need 1g per lb of bodyweight to gain muscle, not even one scientist or scientific study in the world claims bodybuilders need 1 g per lb of bodyweight. As a matter of fact, science shows otherwise. 0.5 g per lb of bodyweight is more than enough.
    There are scientific studies that say that even up to 3g of protein per KG of bodyweight, or 1.4g per lb may be beneficial for some very extreme athletes. With enough data from various other studies to show that ranges between 2g-2.5g per KG are likely to be superior to numbers below that. (Or in pounds - ranges from 0.8g-1.2g per lb being superior in many cases to anything below that)

You saying that 0.5g per bodyweight is more than enough is completely absurd and has very little scientific basis. It is enough for sedentary individuals with minimal physical activity.

http://forum.nostressnutrition.net/i...opic,17.0.html

http://www.uni.edu/dolgener/Advanced...ein_intake.pdf

The main determinants of an athlete's protein needs are their training regime and habitual nutrient intake. Most athletes ingest sufficient protein in their habitual diet. Additional protein will confer only a minimal, albeit arguably important, additional advantage. Given sufficient energy intake, lean body mass can be maintained within a wide range of protein intakes. Since there is limited evidence for harmful effects of a high protein intake and there is a metabolic rationale for the efficacy of an increase in protein, if muscle hypertrophy is the goal, a higher protein intake within the context of an athlete's overall dietary requirements may be beneficial. However, there are few convincing outcome data to indicate that the ingestion of a high amount of protein (2-3 g x kg(-1) BW x day(-1), where BW = body weight) is necessary. Current literature suggests that it may be too simplistic to rely on recommendations of a particular amount of protein per day. Acute studies suggest that for any given amount of protein, the metabolic response is dependent on other factors, including the timing of ingestion in relation to exercise and/or other nutrients, the composition of ingested amino acids and the type of protein.
    Originally Posted by Eric Helms
    the sports nutrition community is more and more in agreement about protein needs being increased during a caloric deficit, with a recent review paper by Phillips et al 2011 (probably the most prolific protein researcher) stating that 1.8-2.7g/kg is likely appropriate during a caloric deficit.
    Owner of:

www.Aspartame-Research.com
    www.MayfieldFitness.net

Author of:

Flexible Dieting Handbook: How To Lose Weight by Eating What You Want - an Amazon Bestseller

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn. "

― Alvin Toffler

germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thought I'd chime in with this: http://www.jissn.com/content/pdf/1550-2783-9-42.pdf

From that:

“The ‘lay’ recommendation to consume 1 g protein/lb of bodyweight/day (2.2 g/kg/day) while resistance training has pervaded for years. Nutrition professionals often deem this lay recommendation excessive and not supported by research. However, as this review shows, this “lay” recommendation aligns well with research that assesses applied outcome measures of strength and body composition…”
    Sports Science & Health Undergraduate

You don't always get what you wish for,
    You get what you work for.

Bite off more than you can chew,
    Then Chew it!

Twitter: @MarkGermaine

"It's at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys." - Emil Zatopek

Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFObr7rc1kA

I'll just leave this here, good watch...if you have the time, it's 97 min.

Edit: I take about 115-130 protein depending on the day, and I making all kinds of gains.
    "I think, therefore I am" - René Descartes

Originally Posted by Naeem11 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFObr7rc1kA

I'll just leave this here, good watch...if you have the time, it's 97 min.

Edit: I take about 115-130 protein depending on the day, and I making all kinds of gains.

Bench Press Latest Update: Aug 8, 2012 63.6kg
    Squats Latest Update: Aug 8, 2012 111.4kg
    Deadlift Latest Update: Aug 8, 2012 123.2kg

You're a novice. Gains come easily in spite of poor diet.

gottalift78 is just really nice. (+1000) gottalift78 is just really nice. (+1000) gottalift78 is just really nice. (+1000) gottalift78 is just really nice. (+1000) gottalift78 is just really nice. (+1000) gottalift78 is just really nice. (+1000) gottalift78 is just really nice. (+1000) gottalift78 is just really nice. (+1000) gottalift78 is just really nice. (+1000) gottalift78 is just really nice. (+1000) gottalift78 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I would agree that over 1g per lb is a bit much. a lot of the stuff you read is hype by supp companies to sell more product. There is great studies out there that fight against what we've been told over the last 10 years. I stick with 1g per lb due to the ease of keeping track.
    If you're absent during my struggle, don't expect to be present during my success.

rslynch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rslynch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    1g per lb may be a myth but think about what you need for caloric intake. If the government (FDA) guideline is approximately 30% of your calories from protein then it breaks down like this. I am 6'2" about 225 lbs. For me to put on weight while working out I need around 4000 calories per day. At 30% from protein that's 1200 calories from protein. A gram of protein has 4 calories in it. That means according to FDA I should be consuming 300 grams of protein or 1.33 per lb of body weight.

Do these proteins need to come from supplements, absolutely not (especially expired ones) but 300g worth of chicken, tuna and beef per day is a heck of a lot of food. It can certainly be done though if you choose not to supplement.

I realize saying this on an internet forum is a bit hypocritical to say on internet forum, but you dont have to believe everything you read online. Think about it and see if it makes sense. Most of the advice on here is grounded in fact.

ExDubio11 is just really nice. (+1000) ExDubio11 is just really nice. (+1000) ExDubio11 is just really nice. (+1000) ExDubio11 is just really nice. (+1000) ExDubio11 is just really nice. (+1000) ExDubio11 is just really nice. (+1000) ExDubio11 is just really nice. (+1000) ExDubio11 is just really nice. (+1000) ExDubio11 is just really nice. (+1000) ExDubio11 is just really nice. (+1000) ExDubio11 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by rslynch View Post
    1g per lb may be a myth but think about what you need for caloric intake. If the government (FDA) guideline is approximately 30% of your calories from protein then it breaks down like this. I am 6'2" about 225 lbs. For me to put on weight while working out I need around 4000 calories per day. At 30% from protein that's 1200 calories from protein. A gram of protein has 4 calories in it. That means according to FDA I should be consuming 300 grams of protein or 1.33 per lb of body weight.

Do these proteins need to come from supplements, absolutely not (especially expired ones) but 300g worth of chicken, tuna and beef per day is a heck of a lot of food. It can certainly be done though if you choose not to supplement.

I realize saying this on an internet forum is a bit hypocritical to say on internet forum, but you dont have to believe everything you read online. Think about it and see if it makes sense. Most of the advice on here is grounded in fact.
    what a stupid way of looking at things. what if you were super active and needed 8,000 calories to bulk? Would you eat 600g protein?