Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    DatDereMirin will become famous soon enough. (+50) DatDereMirin will become famous soon enough. (+50) DatDereMirin will become famous soon enough. (+50) DatDereMirin will become famous soon enough. (+50) DatDereMirin will become famous soon enough. (+50) DatDereMirin will become famous soon enough. (+50) DatDereMirin will become famous soon enough. (+50) DatDereMirin will become famous soon enough. (+50) DatDereMirin will become famous soon enough. (+50) DatDereMirin will become famous soon enough. (+50) DatDereMirin will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Talking ****OFFICIAL**** WEBMASTER Discussion Thread - Programming, Startups, Marketing +

I don't think this exists yet, and I really want it to exist.

So here it is! The very first WEBMASTER DISCUSSION THREAD!

Please! Bookmark this thread/add it to favorites/subscribe so it doesn't

get buried into the depths of Misc/S&T!

ALSO; Please feel free to share your sites that you're working on if you want some feedback!

Thanks and welcome to the discussion!

DatDereMirin will become famous soon enough. (+50) DatDereMirin will become famous soon enough. (+50) DatDereMirin will become famous soon enough. (+50) DatDereMirin will become famous soon enough. (+50) DatDereMirin will become famous soon enough. (+50) DatDereMirin will become famous soon enough. (+50) DatDereMirin will become famous soon enough. (+50) DatDereMirin will become famous soon enough. (+50) DatDereMirin will become famous soon enough. (+50) DatDereMirin will become famous soon enough. (+50) DatDereMirin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you need help with PHP/Mysql/Twilio post on up! I am pretty good at that stuff and will try my best to help you.
    Last edited by DatDereMirin; 08-03-2012 at 04:02 PM.

HelloFromHell is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HelloFromHell is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HelloFromHell is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HelloFromHell is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HelloFromHell is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HelloFromHell is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HelloFromHell is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HelloFromHell is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HelloFromHell is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HelloFromHell is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HelloFromHell is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    In, good thread bro.

I'm about to start coding a website for Uni that needs to be responsive/change depending on what size its being viewed at (desktop > tablets > phones, etc). Read a few articles and tutorials so far, does anyone know of a skeleton or basic starting template for a responsive site? Not talking boilerplates or frameworks or anything just something basic and empty I can start off of to make life easier.

Listing a few good sites for info or tutorials in the OP could be a good way to fill out the thread a little BTW.
    ~~ KingsAge Crew ~~

Yes, I do.

Originally Posted by HelloFromHell View Post
    In, good thread bro.

I'm about to start coding a website for Uni that needs to be responsive/change depending on what size its being viewed at (desktop > tablets > phones, etc). Read a few articles and tutorials so far, does anyone know of a skeleton or basic starting template for a responsive site? Not talking boilerplates or frameworks or anything just something basic and empty I can start off of to make life easier.

Listing a few good sites for info or tutorials in the OP could be a good way to fill out the thread a little BTW.
    Thanks bro. I will def. be updating the initial post a whole lot to make it more official real soon. Brainstorming now.

Responsiveness, enjoy getting an easy A on that project of yours:
    http://themeforest.net/search?term=r...site-templates

However your professor more than likely is aware and will look out for that ****, so at the very least use one of those to go off of. If you're lazy or procrastinate, use one of those and just spend your time changing the basic CSS and images to change up the theme quite a noticeable bit as well.

I love themeforest. Very fair priced awesome templates for anything. Lots are available to download on blackhat/warez sites and forums as well, but the prices are so fair I just buy them to support the site/authors and for ease of use and not risking getting a virus!

Kinda thought there'd be more Webmaster brahs in here

1.62m of fawking awesome circusmidget's Avatar
    circusmidget is a name known to all. (+5000) circusmidget is a name known to all. (+5000) circusmidget is a name known to all. (+5000) circusmidget is a name known to all. (+5000) circusmidget is a name known to all. (+5000) circusmidget is a name known to all. (+5000) circusmidget is a name known to all. (+5000) circusmidget is a name known to all. (+5000) circusmidget is a name known to all. (+5000) circusmidget is a name known to all. (+5000) circusmidget is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Web-app developer reporting in. Strength is query optimization, but I do both front and back-end work in my 9-5 (PHP / MySQL / XHTML / CSS / JS / jQuery). Not very good at front-end though.
    Interstellar bears climb back to save the enemas.

Originally Posted by circusmidget View Post
    Web-app developer reporting in. Strength is query optimization, but I do both front and back-end work in my 9-5 (PHP / MySQL / XHTML / CSS / JS / jQuery). Not very good at front-end though.
    Same, I do all backend chit but I am now a master at buying themeforest themes and modifying/integrating my code into themes so I can effectively launch new startups that have decent designs. But in reality I hardly know the first thing about CSS and design, it's quite sad.

Somewhat recently realized how chitty my database queries have always been with php/mysql and am much better at optimizing now it makes the world of a difference when coding completely custom social networking sites. It's the difference of crashing with like 30 users online compared to not crashing with like 250+ users online.

HelloFromHell is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HelloFromHell is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HelloFromHell is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HelloFromHell is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HelloFromHell is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HelloFromHell is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HelloFromHell is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HelloFromHell is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HelloFromHell is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HelloFromHell is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HelloFromHell is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I prefer front-end/design side over back-end stuff, although do enjoy doing PHP as well. Will be doing both again for my FYP in September but I need some ideas first lol. Was thinking some kind of organizational/calender planning app site but there's quite a lot of them around already.
    ~~ KingsAge Crew ~~

Yes, I do.

Originally Posted by HelloFromHell View Post
    I prefer front-end/design side over back-end stuff, although do enjoy doing PHP as well. Will be doing both again for my FYP in September but I need some ideas first lol. Was thinking some kind of organizational/calender planning app site but there's quite a lot of them around already.
    Werd, getting a good idea is the hardest part. I've been sticking to IM/Affiliate marketing much more now even though I have coded many fairly badass websites in my past and still do from time to time. I just brainstorm for something good and unique that I think has potential and while I brainstorm I do IM as that's finally working out decently for me, whatever gets me the scrilla!

m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000) m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000) m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000) m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000) m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000) m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000) m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000) m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000) m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000) m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000) m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000)
    In. I've been teaching myself HTML/CSS/MySQL/PHP/JQuery.

Messed around a bit with CodeIgniter and have been doing some PSD -> WordPress conversions since it seems there's a lot of people that need this type of service..Impossible to get work though when I hardly have a portfolio and everyone from India (no racist) offers to do the jobs at 1$ / hr rates.

Though I'd like to build some sites for myself, it's just coming up with good ideas, hopefully I'll figure something out soon.
    niners / giants / warriors / sharks

Stephen WetWet Curry Crew

Originally Posted by m0neymike View Post
    In. I've been teaching myself HTML/CSS/MySQL/PHP/JQuery.

Messed around a bit with CodeIgniter and have been doing some PSD -> WordPress conversions since it seems there's a lot of people that need this type of service..Impossible to get work though when I hardly have a portfolio and everyone from India (no racist) offers to do the jobs at 1$ / hr rates.

That's how I feel with anything (about the India bishes) HOWEVER trust me when I say this, as far as PROGRAMMING/Developing startups goes, there is a large market of people who will happily pay more for quality coding from an American/fluent english speaker that is interested in making it succeed and not just finishing the project as quickly as possible to meet deadlines.

I think on ThemeForest.net, there are PSD designs you can buy that haven't been sliced up for WP or website templates yet, I would highly suggest looking into that. Maybe you can a) offer your services to them b) offer your services to everyone commenting in it asking if/when it will be a template c) do that **** and idk maybe sell it yourself some way as a template...would probably piss people off though but check out the licenses maybe contact the owner or something.

m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000) m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000) m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000) m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000) m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000) m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000) m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000) m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000) m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000) m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000) m0neymike is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by DatDereMirin View Post
    That's how I feel with anything (about the India bishes) HOWEVER trust me when I say this, as far as PROGRAMMING/Developing startups goes, there is a large market of people who will happily pay more for quality coding from an American/fluent english speaker that is interested in making it succeed and not just finishing the project as quickly as possible to meet deadlines.

I think on ThemeForest.net, there are PSD designs you can buy that haven't been sliced up for WP or website templates yet, I would highly suggest looking into that. Maybe you can a) offer your services to them b) offer your services to everyone commenting in it asking if/when it will be a template c) do that **** and idk maybe sell it yourself some way as a template...would probably piss people off though but check out the licenses maybe contact the owner or something.
    Thanks brah that actually sounds like a really good idea.. I'll definitely look into that

Thanks brah that actually sounds like a really good idea.. I'll definitely look into that
    I bet you already saw this but there's a chit load, dang

http://themeforest.net/category/psd-templates

Anxiously setting up a new site/idea!

Not too unique but my execution of it will be, and I have a great vision and a good way to promote it, and monetizing it as a whole should be very easy; the monetization method really appeals to me. Sorry for being bland, more details coming to the thread/the misc soon. Should be frickin cool and I look forward to running it.

CarlitosBX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CarlitosBX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CarlitosBX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CarlitosBX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CarlitosBX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CarlitosBX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CarlitosBX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CarlitosBX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CarlitosBX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CarlitosBX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CarlitosBX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    IN on this bich we should also start a Skype group chat.

I'm currently on my python learning journey haven't started yet I'm learning the basic of power shell first and so far so good
    Son of Zeus, brother of Hercules, and father of aesthetics

Semper Fi

No longer Georgia Crew
    **NY Crew**
    Look up my thread "Miscers in NY"

***Misc Cigar Crew***
    ***Beard Crew***
    ***Misc Cologne Crew***
    ***Misc Photography Crew***

joey2506 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joey2506 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joey2506 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joey2506 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joey2506 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joey2506 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joey2506 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joey2506 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joey2506 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joey2506 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joey2506 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    .net brah checking in, my 9-5 consists of back-end development (.net, sql etc.) and have a few projects i've got going outside of work. currently looking into iOS app development.

Appono is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Appono is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Appono is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Appono is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Appono is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Appono is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Appono is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Appono is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Appono is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Appono is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Appono is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    In this chit. Currently learning more CSS. Just finished reading a book on HTML. Next in line to learn is PHP then MySQL (among other things).

CarlitosBX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CarlitosBX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CarlitosBX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CarlitosBX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CarlitosBX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CarlitosBX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CarlitosBX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CarlitosBX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CarlitosBX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CarlitosBX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CarlitosBX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm looking for this feature not sure what is called or what coding is done with. I want to create a directory on one of my pages that when you go to it a globe would pop out spin and then spread out and turn in to a worldwide map. To be able to show different business shops related to my niche. Where you be able to Hoover around the map and zoom in to specify a location and then take you to a different data telling you some of the near businesses. Not sure if I'm being clear of what I'm looking for. Also trying to see if is something I can do depending how complicated it is

Here is something similar but I'm looking for a much better professional globally type of look.

http://www.goldsgym.com/locator/
    Son of Zeus, brother of Hercules, and father of aesthetics

Semper Fi

No longer Georgia Crew
    **NY Crew**
    Look up my thread "Miscers in NY"

***Misc Cigar Crew***
    ***Beard Crew***
    ***Misc Cologne Crew***
    ***Misc Photography Crew***

PrivateNumber is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PrivateNumber is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PrivateNumber is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PrivateNumber is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PrivateNumber is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PrivateNumber is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PrivateNumber is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PrivateNumber is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PrivateNumber is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PrivateNumber is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PrivateNumber is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    In. Subbed. Graphic Design brah checking in. Trying to teach myself HTML & CSS at the moment so I can play around with themes to customize them to suit some future projects.
    Graphic & Web Designer.

joey2506 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joey2506 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joey2506 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joey2506 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joey2506 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joey2506 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joey2506 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joey2506 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joey2506 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joey2506 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joey2506 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by PrivateNumber View Post
    In. Subbed. Graphic Design brah checking in. Trying to teach myself HTML & CSS at the moment so I can play around with themes to customize them to suit some future projects.
    got any examples of your work?

KerryH is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KerryH is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KerryH is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KerryH is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KerryH is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KerryH is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KerryH is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KerryH is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KerryH is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KerryH is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KerryH is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by joey2506 View Post
    got any examples of your work?
    PN does legit work, I'm sure he'll provide examples though.

I'm in on this thread, I've been helping quite a few miscer's from the AM thread lately.

My sig covers the bases. My main current project is a site I'm working on called blucovers dot com.

I don't mind anyone taking a look and playing around with any of the features but I haven't officially launched it yet so keep that in mind please.

It's WP based but HEAVILY customized by me running an optmized LEMP stack on a VPS managed by myself as well.
    AM crew - I can help you with php/mySQL/javascript/css

Appono is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Appono is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Appono is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Appono is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Appono is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Appono is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Appono is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Appono is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Appono is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Appono is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Appono is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by KerryH View Post

I'm in on this thread, I've been helping quite a few miscer's from the AM thread lately.

My sig covers the bases. My main current project is a site I'm working on called blucovers dot com.

I don't mind anyone taking a look and playing around with any of the features but I haven't officially launched it yet so keep that in mind please.

It's WP based but HEAVILY customized by me running an optmized LEMP stack on a VPS managed by myself as well.
    Wow, great idea and design. One question though, how long did it take you to get to that point (whatever point in development the website is at now).

KerryH is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KerryH is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KerryH is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KerryH is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KerryH is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KerryH is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KerryH is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KerryH is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KerryH is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KerryH is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KerryH is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Appono View Post
    Wow, great idea and design. One question though, how long did it take you to get to that point (whatever point in development the website is at now).
    I started mid April of this year. There's been a TON of behind the scenes development that you can't see.

There's were a few "redesigns" along the way, so it definitely could have been done quicker.

I'm currently wrapping up a tool that will allow users to upload a picture and easily crop it and customize it with words and photo effects using jQuery/php that has had a LOT of time put into it.

I started mid April of this year. There's been a TON of behind the scenes development that you can't see.

There's were a few "redesigns" along the way, so it definitely could have been done quicker.

I'm currently wrapping up a tool that will allow users to upload a picture and easily crop it and customize it with words and photo effects using jQuery/php that has had a LOT of time put into it.
    Pretty jelly, to be honest. You have a team behind this or is this your personal project?

Originally Posted by Appono View Post
    Pretty jelly, to be honest. You have a team behind this or is this your personal project?
    It's me and my room mate, I'm the only one that touches any code though.

@BluCovers - Fantastic landing page/design. That's neat it's based off WP, you can sure do a lot with WP, wow. Should ideally be a viral machine make sure you capitalize on the ******** connect (without breaking their TOS though) as far as promotion goes. You probably already do I just haven't connected

Cool thing is, seeing as it's timeline only, ******** JUST switched me over to timeline the other day, it's still being rolled out; so it's basically still a brand new feature and more and more people are going to want to change their covers so hopefully you can cater to most of them!

I really like that design KerryH..did you come up with the design yourself?

Also, since I'm just getting started with jquery I had a question.. How much would you guys say you do your jquery code from scratch and how often do you utilize plugins? Like for example I know a lot of time if someone wants a image slider on their website people usually use a plugin like nivo instead of coding one up themselves.

dmaaack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dmaaack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dmaaack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dmaaack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dmaaack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dmaaack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dmaaack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dmaaack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dmaaack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dmaaack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dmaaack is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Any tips for someone who is interested in learning programming/ web development? I know nothing and want to start teaching myself a language

Originally Posted by DatDereMirin View Post
    @BluCovers - Fantastic landing page/design. That's neat it's based off WP, you can sure do a lot with WP, wow. Should ideally be a viral machine make sure you capitalize on the ******** connect (without breaking their TOS though) as far as promotion goes. You probably already do I just haven't connected

Cool thing is, seeing as it's timeline only, ******** JUST switched me over to timeline the other day, it's still being rolled out; so it's basically still a brand new feature and more and more people are going to want to change their covers so hopefully you can cater to most of them!
    Thank you for the kind words, I've modeled the home page/landing page from what I've seen from other successful websites.

Supposedly timeline is becoming mandatory for all users sometime this month, I hope I can capture some of the traffic!

I really like that design KerryH..did you come up with the design yourself?

Also, since I'm just getting started with jquery I had a question.. How much would you guys say you do your jquery code from scratch and how often do you utilize plugins? Like for example I know a lot of time if someone wants a image slider on their website people usually use a plugin like nivo instead of coding one up themselves.
    The design was heavily inspired by what I've seen from other succesful sites.

Regarding jQuery, once you understand the basics it's very easy to write simple tasks from scratch. I definitely start with a plugin as much as possible (why reinvent the wheel, also they may have better cross browser compatibility than I would have out of the box.) but It's nice knowing enough that I can completely customize a plugin to fit my needs.

Originally Posted by dmaaack View Post
    Any tips for someone who is interested in learning programming/ web development? I know nothing and want to start teaching myself a language
    http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/web start with the web fundamentals if you don't know html/css already.

Once you have a firm grasp on html/css then move to javascript/jQuery https://tutsplus.com/course/30-days-to-learn-jquery/.

Once you have a firm grasp of that take a look at server side languages (php, perl, python, ruby on rails etc etc).
    Last edited by KerryH; 08-04-2012 at 04:19 PM.

Zabedisi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zabedisi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zabedisi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zabedisi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zabedisi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zabedisi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zabedisi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zabedisi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zabedisi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zabedisi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zabedisi is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    In! Currently learning jQuery and I'm having a lot fun building useless little websites just to test out different features and effects lol.

Also went back and started doing the Javascript fundamentals course on Code academy to help me get a better grasp on programming logic.