Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    RKintaudi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RKintaudi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RKintaudi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RKintaudi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RKintaudi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RKintaudi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RKintaudi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RKintaudi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RKintaudi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RKintaudi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RKintaudi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Shawn's Fierce 5 Log v2.5: Indefinitely Cutting Away

Old logs:

Version 1: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...post1274318851
    Version 2: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...post1338561761

I decided to switch the F5 Intermediate U/L LLP routine, because I'm hitting my limits on my compound lifts. However, I am still trying to cut a significant amount of weight. In addition, I loved the F5 beginner routine, so I'm confident that I'll get great results with this program as well. Lastly, I believe that I'm ready for a change. Going to the gym 3 times per week was great at first, but I've grown to enjoy lifting, so I wanted to lift more throughout the week.

Should I struggle or even get down to my goal weight of 180-185 LB, I will consider another F5 program. Hopefully, I can bulk up as cleanly as possible to 195-200 after hitting 185 to really look like I actually lift.

By now, you're all aware of davisj's program, so i'll just link his program here, rather than paste it in.

The Routine: Intermediate Upper/Lower and LPP 5 Day Plan

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...post1266578971

Here's how I'll log:
    -I'll log maybe once or twice a week.
    -Projected results for the week will be posted at the beginning of each week.
    -Videos will be posted once a week on Friday or Saturday.

Gyms of choice: Planet Fitness (srs) and Crossroads Fitness. Soon to be VASA Fitness

These are my results after 6 months (took a month off of lifting in October) of running F5 Novice:

I lost about 40 pounds while doing a severe cut on the program. I'm pleased that I was able to gain strength while doing so.

I started on Wednesday night with the Upper A workout. I'll adjust both exercises and workout days for the first couple of weeks as I figure out which days I'll be playing sports/hiking and which days I'll need to spend with the GF.

Here are the results from Wednesday's workout.

I'm excited to hit Legs tonight. I don't know why but I feel as if it will be a fantastic workout.
    *Perpetual Token Black Guy Crew*
    *Always Wears Socks Crew*

Start (Aug 2014)--Current
    BP. . .1 x 135. .::. . 1 x 230
    SQ. . .1 x 165. .::.. .1 x 310
    DL . . .1 x 150 . .::..1 x 375

Dat dere 915 LB total

Disclaimer: Roughly 80% of the posts submitted by user RKintaudi are that of fictitious beliefs, ideals, and philosophies. Readers of the aforementioned posts should not acknowledge the posts as a true representation of RKintaudi.

connorpat1995 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) connorpat1995 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) connorpat1995 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) connorpat1995 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) connorpat1995 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) connorpat1995 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) connorpat1995 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) connorpat1995 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) connorpat1995 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) connorpat1995 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) connorpat1995 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    IN brah
    log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165742981

nothing but the basics

RKintaudi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RKintaudi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RKintaudi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RKintaudi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RKintaudi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RKintaudi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RKintaudi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RKintaudi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RKintaudi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RKintaudi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RKintaudi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Off to the gym in an hour. Going to hit both push/pull today. It's a bit risky, I know, but I've figured out my schedule. So I'll need Wednesdays and Sundays off for basketball, ultimate frisbee, and whatever other sports I can fit in during the week.

@Connor: Thanks for the follow bro.

Dat dere 915 LB total

Disclaimer: Roughly 80% of the posts submitted by user RKintaudi are that of fictitious beliefs, ideals, and philosophies. Readers of the aforementioned posts should not acknowledge the posts as a true representation of RKintaudi.

Here are my results from the past few days.

Oh man, what a freaking Leg Day. It kicked my ass by the end. My lower back, my glutes, my hamstrings...sore. sore. sore. But I like it. I feel as if this program will be a challenge that I can welcome and conquer at the same time. Deadlift and doing RDL's back to back is BA. Especially at PF where there's not a whole lot of people who DL so heavily in the first place.

Just completed both Push/Pull workouts tonight. It felt great. I feel as if my new Bench Press form has helped me complete my lifts. Even though it is still heavy, I feel as if I have more control of the bar. Though, after benching I couldn't do my OHP workouts to the weights I wanted to. Normally, I'd do 115 LB. However, I couldn't even do 1 rep. So I decided to do 105 LB and work my way from there.

What was key to both my workouts was getting some chalk involved. Beforehand, I used to struggle with grip while doing deadlifts. Now that I'm using chalk, I feel as if I can complete each set with ease while retaining proper form.

Below are some highlights of this weeks workouts.

225 LB RDL's and 275 LB Traditional Deadlifts.

My Push/Pull workout from tonight.

Dat dere 915 LB total

Above are my projected Results for the first 3 days Week 2 on the program. I'll post the remaining days on Thursday morning.

I'm still sore mainly in my lower back after last weeks trial run. I'm definitely enjoying the workouts so far. I just wish that I didn't have to walk around so gingerly the days following my workouts. The only worry that I have so far are the Leg Curl exercise. Each time I do a set it feels like there's some pain in a ligament in my knee. I'm not sure if this is normal. Perhaps this is due to the fact that I'm sitting while doing so. I'm considering alternate exercises for Leg Curls going forward.

Dat dere 915 LB total

connorpat1995 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) connorpat1995 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) connorpat1995 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) connorpat1995 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) connorpat1995 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) connorpat1995 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) connorpat1995 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) connorpat1995 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) connorpat1995 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) connorpat1995 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) connorpat1995 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Have you tried bringing your hips lower and letting your knees track further forward at the bottom of the deadlift?
    My deadlift spiked when I found out how to use my quads at the start of the pull
    log:

nothing but the basics

Originally Posted by connorpat1995 View Post
    Have you tried bringing your hips lower and letting your knees track further forward at the bottom of the deadlift?
    My deadlift spiked when I found out how to use my quads at the start of the pull
    Can't say that I have tried that. I haven't really performed regular DL's given the novice program. During the week, I'll look up more videos on form. I've notice that you do sumo DL's. Is there a reason why you went with those over traditional DLs?

Dat dere 915 LB total

Originally Posted by RKintaudi View Post
    I've notice that you do sumo DL's. Is there a reason why you went with those over traditional DLs?
    I did when I injured my hip and conventional was hurting it
    switched back now

I don't recommend the sumo deadlift as a sub for conventional for anyone but powerlifters looking to move more weight
    log:

nothing but the basics

Maannn, I've gotta leave Planet Fitness soon. Even though they have all the equipment I...could use to get all my lifts in. The limited availability of said equipment and the square footage of the place leaves much to be desired. During yesterday's workout, I got my squats done quickly but my workout almost came to a halt.

There was some dude literally hogging the only back extension station for oblique and ab workouts. He did at least 5 sets of each exercise knowing that I needed to get just 3 sets in. After 10 minutes of stretching and watching the dude he finally leaves and I get two sets in...I learned something this day. Never leave a station until your sets are complete. I left to grab some more water after my second set. I put the weight in a spot which suggested I wasn't done. But noooo some girl with her DYEL bf comes to take the station and proceed to do 5 sets or so. At this point, I was like fk it, I'm out.

The second half of my workout was much better. No one touched the Leg Press machine and I was able to knock out all 33 reps, no problem. Check that, there was a slight problem. I struggled with the last 2 reps of each set, but man it felt great. My quads were really getting some work in. As far as the leg curls go, I only did two sets because of more ligament pain in my knees. I'd like to avoid injury at all costs so I'm going to try and incorporate "glute-ham raises" in place of leg curls.

Does anyone else have knee ligament pain when doing seated leg curls? Are lying leg curls a better way to do them?

I did when I injured my hip and conventional was hurting it
    switched back now

I don't recommend the sumo deadlift as a sub for conventional for anyone but powerlifters looking to move more weight
    Ahhh, gotcha.

Dat dere 915 LB total

Random attempt of me going for 200 LB last night on my Bench Press.

Spoiler!

Going to play some ball with some Mormons tonight. I usually play on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Last night, I got out of work too late. So I only lifted instead.

I was gassed last night after completing my OHP's and DB presses. It's weird, my rows felt fine on Saturday, however, last night, they felt heavy. I was able to complete all my sets, but it felt like I was repping 200 instead of 155.

During my superset more like a burnout part of the workout, my hamstrings were giving. Especially during my bicep curls. I like that, I miss that kind of struggle when working out. Lifting until near exhaustion. Seems like I'm going to enjoy this program.

Off note: I'm considering upload videos/pictures of "questionable" exercise procedures that patrons use at Planet Fitness.

Exhibit 1: Some guy using like 4 different dumbbells (there was another on the other side of him) to get his sets of single arm curls in.

Last edited by RKintaudi; 03-18-2015 at 09:07 AM.

Dat dere 915 LB total

WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000) WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000) WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000) WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000) WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000) WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000) WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000) WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000) WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000) WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000) WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000)
    Well done on avoiding the Roll of Shame there!

I don't pay attention to the guys doing dumbbell sheeyat, but I'm always intrigued by people in my gym doing heavy compound lifts with no regard for proper form or their own safety. There was a guy on Tuesday who was a bit bigger than me, deadlifting less weight, already using alternate grip and making no attempt to actually set up his back for the lift. He was literally just bending over, rounding his back and then slowly lifting the weight up. It was just cringeworthy, every lift was back injury waiting to happen.

I don't get how these people can just walk into a gym and decide to start lifting heavy things before actually finding out how they are supposed to do it. I actually saw a guy get a back injury while a PT was telling him to row about 50kg (he was clearly a total beginner). The guy's back was completely rounded as he was struggling to try row it and then he hurt himself and had to sit on the floor since he looked like he was going to faint. PT was completely responsible for it. PT is a skinny little ****er too, don't know why people pay him, he looks like he has teh AIDS.

Sorry for the rant, just ignorant people piss me off, and there's a lot of them at my gym . The internet is full of free information.

HarryValdez will become famous soon enough. (+50) HarryValdez will become famous soon enough. (+50) HarryValdez will become famous soon enough. (+50) HarryValdez will become famous soon enough. (+50) HarryValdez will become famous soon enough. (+50) HarryValdez will become famous soon enough. (+50) HarryValdez will become famous soon enough. (+50) HarryValdez will become famous soon enough. (+50) HarryValdez will become famous soon enough. (+50) HarryValdez will become famous soon enough. (+50) HarryValdez will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    In on this. LMFAO @ that pic.

Originally Posted by WrathfulOne View Post
    Well done on avoiding the Roll of Shame there!

I don't pay attention to the guys doing dumbbell sheeyat, but I'm always intrigued by people in my gym doing heavy compound lifts with no regard for proper form or their own safety. There was a guy on Tuesday who was a bit bigger than me, deadlifting less weight, already using alternate grip and making no attempt to actually set up his back for the lift. He was literally just bending over, rounding his back and then slowly lifting the weight up. It was just cringeworthy, every lift was back injury waiting to happen.

I don't get how these people can just walk into a gym and decide to start lifting heavy things before actually finding out how they are supposed to do it. I actually saw a guy get a back injury while a PT was telling him to row about 50kg (he was clearly a total beginner). The guy's back was completely rounded as he was struggling to try row it and then he hurt himself and had to sit on the floor since he looked like he was going to faint. PT was completely responsible for it. PT is a skinny little ****er too, don't know why people pay him, he looks like he has teh AIDS.

Sorry for the rant, just ignorant people piss me off, and there's a lot of them at my gym . The internet is full of free information.
    It took just about everything I had to get the bar up there. I wasn't going to embarrass myself in front of the ladies at my 6 on the cardio machines.

There's so much cringeworthy stuff going on at this Planet Fitness. Watching some people doing their work makes my back hurt all over. I'd offer to give advice, but it's not worth it.

Originally Posted by HarryValdez View Post
    In on this. LMFAO @ that pic.
    There's plenty more where that came from. It's one thing I'll miss about PF. There's so much that goes on each time I go there, it's always a surprise.

Dat dere 915 LB total

Absolute chit workout tonight after hitting my squats. I left my chalk at home and my deadlifts suffered. There's just a strong combination of things that made it a bad night. Firstly, the chalk, left it in my laundry room at home. Secondly, the bar was so freaking slippery tonight. By my 4th rep of each exercise, I felt as if I was going to dislocate my shoulder since it was so slippery. Lastly, I officially give up with seated leg curls. For me it's an injury waiting to happen. I'm not sure what I can do yet to substitute for it. But I need to find something fast.

Results and my DL video will be posted after my phone is off r/c.

Dat dere 915 LB total

Other than my squats here are the cleanest lifts I got in tonight. How does everyone approach their next gym session after having a crappy workout? Do you guys try to make up for the previous workout by re-doing the sets you didn't execute on?

mirin' feet shuffle after first rep

Exhibit B:

Can someone aware me on what this guy is doing? There were 2 pairs of 45 LB dumbbells available.

Dat dere 915 LB total

Justice Police of bb.com hostelmaniac's Avatar
    hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    subbed ya

just completely scrap the experience of your bad workout. dont let it ruin any more than it already has
    Log

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155910073

WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000) WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000) WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000) WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000) WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000) WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000) WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000) WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000) WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000) WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000) WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000)
    lol @ the power-skipping and sly gym espionage

I'm with you on the leg curls bro, I f'ing hate them. I do them prone on the machine (hate machines). I would much rather do stiff legged deadlifts, but I think they would mess up the muscle balance on Fierce 5, so don't know how they would fit in to your programme. You can also do floor glute-ham raises, where you just lie face down on the floor, hook your legs into something and raise your torso. You can put the barbell in the bottom of the squat rack and hook your legs under that.

You've got some decent arms on you man, respect. Couldn't tell properly on the deadlifts, but just in case, make sure you're keeping your belly full of air on each rep and only exhale once you've put the weight down. I make a big face full of air on every rep as a mental cue that I am definitely full of air (pufferfish represent).

HarryValdez will become famous soon enough. (+50) HarryValdez will become famous soon enough. (+50) HarryValdez will become famous soon enough. (+50) HarryValdez will become famous soon enough. (+50) HarryValdez will become famous soon enough. (+50) HarryValdez will become famous soon enough. (+50) HarryValdez will become famous soon enough. (+50) HarryValdez will become famous soon enough. (+50) HarryValdez will become famous soon enough. (+50) HarryValdez will become famous soon enough. (+50) HarryValdez will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Other than my squats here are the cleanest lifts I got in tonight. How does everyone approach their next gym session after having a crappy workout? Do you guys try to make up for the previous workout by re-doing the sets you didn't execute on?
    If it's a single bad workout then I just try to leave it completely in the rear-view. Even the biggest and strongest guys have bad days. But if I have a few of them in row then I take a serious look at what could be going on.... diet off, lack of sleep, poor form, need a deload, etc.

Exhibit B
    that dudes arms are actually bigger than his legs
    log:

nothing but the basics

Originally Posted by hostelmaniac View Post
    subbed ya

just completely scrap the experience of your bad workout. dont let it ruin any more than it already has
    I'll try to move past this, but I'll always keep the chalk in my car. Lesson learned.

If it's a single bad workout then I just try to leave it completely in the rear-view. Even the biggest and strongest guys have bad days. But if I have a few of them in row then I take a serious look at what could be going on.... diet off, lack of sleep, poor form, need a deload, etc.
    I'll leave it behind. Besides, I don't have much time to make up for last night tonight. Form was clearly the issue last night for me.

lol @ the power-skipping and sly gym espionage

You can also do floor glute-ham raises, where you just lie face down on the floor, hook your legs into something and raise your torso. You can put the barbell in the bottom of the squat rack and hook your legs under that.

You've got some decent arms on you man, respect. Couldn't tell properly on the deadlifts, but just in case, make sure you're keeping your belly full of air on each rep and only exhale once you've put the weight down. I make a big face full of air on every rep as a mental cue that I am definitely full of air (pufferfish represent).
    I must continue to film questionable exercises. Provides for some lulz in between sets.

I've tried doing glute-ham raises but I've looked completely lost trying to do so. I'll definitely need to watch some videos early on.

Thanks for noticing my arms. It still feels like I have twigs for arms though :/

that dudes arms are actually bigger than his legs
    There's plenty of anatomy imbalance at PF.

Dat dere 915 LB total

Here are my projected results for tonight and tomorrow's push and pull workout. I don't foresee any problems with these. I'll have my chalk and I won't have to deal with chitty Planet Fitness this weekend.

EDIT: FINALLY under 200 lbs. For the first time since Freshman year of college.

Next stop 185.

Dat dere 915 LB total

Actual Results for the weekend lifts are attached. I'm struggling a bit with the OHPs. I was pressing 115 just fine a couple of weeks ago, however, I'm having difficulty completing sets even at 105. I'll keep the weight at 105 this week. I'm really hoping that I don't need to do a reset for these.

I'll have some videos uploaded later on today which will include another exhibit from Planet Fitness!

Dat dere 915 LB total

Big congrats on the weight milestone! I know that's gotta feel good.

Don't sweat the OHP struggles. IMO it's the most frustrating lift of all and I've had to reset on that one more so than any other. For whatever reason it just seems easier to hit a wall on that one than most other lifts. I say don't be afraid to take a reset when needed. In the long run you're better off for it.

I've also slowed my progression scheme a bit on OHP. I wait until I'm really comfortable at 'X weight' and can consistently complete all sets/reps before moving on to 'Y weight'. And by consistently, I mean like 3 or 4 workouts in a row. I also like to be able to complete an extra rep or two at the end of my last set before upping the weight. Just gives me that little extra boost of confidence for going after that next weight. That system may not be right for everybody but it works for me.

Justice Police of bb.com hostelmaniac's Avatar
    hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i may have the weakest ohp in history idk
    Log

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155910073

BREAKING NEWS: I will no longer be working out at Planet Fitness. They decided to remove the bench and barbell, thereby making tonight the last night I workout at Planet Fitness. Lots of videos to come within the hour. Including the rest of my exhibits from people I've noticed at Planet Fitness.

Dat dere 915 LB total

Big congrats on the weight milestone! I know that's gotta feel good.

I've also slowed my progression scheme a bit on OHP. I wait until I'm really comfortable at 'X weight' and can consistently complete all sets/reps before moving on to 'Y weight'. And by consistently, I mean like 3 or 4 workouts in a row. I also like to be able to complete an extra rep or two at the end of my last set before upping the weight. Just gives me that little extra boost of confidence for going after that next weight. That system may not be right for everybody but it works for me.
    Feels hella good man. It's also nice when people around me are acknowledging my gains. Makes me feel like less of a DYEL. Though I don't think I'll be aesthetic enough in time for the summer. Feelsbadman.jpg

I'll have to try your recommendation for OHPs.

Originally Posted by hostelmaniac View Post
    i may have the weakest ohp in history idk
    TFW strongmen OHP more than I bench. Maybe it's something in my water.

Dat dere 915 LB total

Projected Results for the first 3 workouts of Week 3. After tonight's workout, i'm feeling pretty good about meeting all these. We'll have to see if my squats from Planet Fitness will translate to free weight barbell squats. Of course, I'm hoping that it does. The Weighted Back Extensions was surprisingly the toughest lift out of them all today. It wasn't easy completing each set, but I was able to get it done. I'm intrigued to see how this exercise will progress for me over the next few months.

As promised, here are the videos.

Friday's Push Workout:

Saturday's Pendlay Rows:

Saturday's Yates Rows:

And now for the exhibits. Please note that I offered my opinion on the form/validity of each exercise performed. Some responded well, others didn't.

Exhibit C:

Exhibit D:

Exhibit E:

I let him know that the assist pad is there for a reason. It helped me develop my triceps strength until I was ready for weighted dips.

Dat dere 915 LB total

LOL I nearly lost it at Exhibit D!

Strong ROM on those dips in E...

Man how do you find these people?

LOL I nearly lost it at Exhibit D!

Strong ROM on those dips in E...

Man how do you find these people?
    They just seem to appear brah.

Here are a couple of clips from my last session lifting at PF.

But who was depth?

Last edited by RKintaudi; 03-24-2015 at 07:28 AM.

Dat dere 915 LB total

Jagoodin7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jagoodin7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jagoodin7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jagoodin7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jagoodin7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jagoodin7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jagoodin7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jagoodin7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jagoodin7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jagoodin7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jagoodin7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I cannot believe they removed the bench haha, PF is funny. The one where i used to live would have donut day and pizza day.
    My Fierce 5 Log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166510811

Goals: Bench 315x2 Squat 405x2 Deadlift 495x2 / Current - No where near it haha!