FatherOfMany will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatherOfMany will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatherOfMany will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatherOfMany will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatherOfMany will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatherOfMany will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatherOfMany will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatherOfMany will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatherOfMany will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatherOfMany will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatherOfMany will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Old Man's Home Training

Just starting out after not training for more than 20 years.

I'm 6'2, have high blood pressure and pretty unfit in general.

This morning according to a Body Composition scale, these are my specs:
    Weight: 138kgs / 305lbs
    Fat %: 36.0
    Muscle %: 35.0

I've read that these scales aren't terribly accurate, but I'll stick to the same one and just use it to track progress.

Anyway, last weekend I ordered a power cage, an Olympic bar and 37kgs / 85Lbs of plates. Small start, but that's all I could get approval for from the wife. Yesterday I bought a bench out of my own spending money and I'll add weights as I can afford it.
    In the meantime I bought a second-hand bench and 35kgs of weights online, but the bench and bar are too small for me, so trying to sell them again... At least they've been useful to get back into training, so hopefully when my cage and weights arrive in the next few days I'll be into the swing of things.

Started training 6 days ago and today I did the following workout:

Benchpress: 5×10 of 35kgs
    Squats: 5×10 – Body weight only
    Dumbbell Tricep extensions (one arm): 2×10 of ?? (20 something, not sure if it's kgs or lbs)
    Barbell Rows: 5×5 of 35kgs

35kgs in the max I can fit on this bar with these small weights.

I'll be following the StrongLifts 5x5 once my equipment arrives. Won't be doing deadlifts just yet as I don't have the flexibility to do it properly. I've ordered a yoga video and will be doing some yoga and hamstring/hip specific stretches to get that sorted.

Anyway, long journey ahead for me, but at least there should be some quick gains in the next few weeks / months.

mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Awesome and welcome. This is a great community with lots of support. Looking forward to following along.
    365 255 480 in April! ...2019
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)

does curls in power racks yaaar's Avatar
    yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Welcome to the journals, looks quite a lot like a post I made about 6 months ago here.

I'd say to go ahead and do the deadlifts, Stronglifts5x5 starts you off with super light weight on all of the lifts and over time you build flexibility and form. Just get them in and things will fall into place. Try to get yourself to 300lbs of weight, you're going to need it after a couple of months. It's true that the stuff isn't cheap, but it's a lot less expensive than the alternative. Also take pictures of the cage and stuff when it arrives, we love seeing that stuff!

Dave's right, lots of great support here. Any questions please ask, lots of us have probably asked the same questions.
    Don't listen to me, I'm in terrible shape.

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ S̶m̶2̶s̶m̶ Bm2bm crew (---S̶q̶u̶a̶t̶ Bench Moar to S̶q̶u̶a̶t̶ Bench Moar---)

shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Welcome to the jounals! Good luck man. What are you doing on the nutrition side of your program?

FatherOfMany will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatherOfMany will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatherOfMany will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatherOfMany will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatherOfMany will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatherOfMany will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatherOfMany will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatherOfMany will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatherOfMany will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatherOfMany will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatherOfMany will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks all, I appreciate the support.

Yes yaaar, I thought someone had stolen my story when I read the first 1-2 posts in your journal. As I said on there, just hope I can repeat some of your success.
    As for Deadlifts, I simply cannot bend down low enough so have to lean to one of the sides to grab the bar. I did try once this past week and my back hurt that evening, even with just 15kgs total weight. I do intend to start it within the first month... just got to make sure I do stretches every alternative day.
    Yeah, I intend to buy 40kgs (88lbs) in January and something similar in Feb, just didn't have the money right at this moment... You try to buy Christmas presents for 8 kids

Originally Posted by shaneinga View Post
    Welcome to the jounals! Good luck man. What are you doing on the nutrition side of your program?
    Thanks for asking. I installed MyFitnessPal on my phone and set 3 alarms per day roughly the time that I eat my main meals. Yesterday was my first day of that and I kept to 2,400 calories, which is what is suggested for me to loose 1kg per week. My intent is to keep it below 2,800 calories. I'm also seeing a psychologist... laugh if you must, but a lot of my eating problems and other health problems stem from an anxiety disorder. She's referred me to a nutritionist who seems to have a similar viewpoint to me (low carb is good), so soon as the nutritionist is back from holidays I'll go see her.

shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I use myfitnesspal as well. It is a great app and will really help you stay on track with counting calories. I will suggest you go ahead and get yourself a food scale while you are at it.

You can pick them up on Amazon for 20 bucks. I personally have an ozeri and it is very easy to use. I was surprised when I went to measuring how much different things looked when they were actually measured to an accurate serving. Cereal will shock you.

Over on myfitnesspal I go by DvlDwnInGa. Friend me if you are needing some support.

Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I started out well over 300lbs. If a dummy like me can do it anyone can

Like anything in life you'll get out what you put in. Time and consitency in the kitchen and under the bar will yield great results. The man in the mirror will determine if you are successful or not.

I wish you lots of luck.
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ Don't care what you do crew.

Former natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from.

Good news

Got my Heavy Duty bench set up today.

"50 posts to be able to post a picture??? that sucks!!"

One in the back is on on sale with the auction closing tonight so that won't be around for much longer, but it's too small for me anyway.
    Now I just need the power cage to be delivered as I need the support brackets for the barbell before I can use the new bench.

In other news... The in-laws came for a visit and they're busy moving house. They've given us a home gym (smith-machine style it sounds like) that cost $3,500 some time ago - almost unused and a treadmill. We'll probably sell the home gym and use some of that money to buy more weights and I was keen on a treadmill anyhow as I'd like to do some cardio on alternate days.
    Attached Images

yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yaaar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Holy cow, 8 kids?! Maybe you could use them as weight! LOL

Looks like a good bench there, I've got the Hoist version of the same bench. Important part is the bench's max weight, mine is nearly identical and it's rated for 1000lbs so I'd assume yours is probably the same. You'll like it, pretty stable and everything.

Which cage are you going with?

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ S̶m̶2̶s̶m̶ Bm2bm crew (---S̶q̶u̶a̶t̶ Bench Moar to S̶q̶u̶a̶t̶ Bench Moar---)

Yeah, after buying the el-cheapo bench second-hand and not being happy with that, I went to the store and sampled a number of benches. This one felt pretty good within my price reach. It's rated to 365kgs (800lbs).

The cage is also an IronPower heavy duty cage rated to the same weight.

Bloody but unbowed fittofattofit's Avatar
    fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Welcome to the journals and you'll find a lot of support and ideas here. I've found that one of the big incentives to keep with the training and the diet is to keep up with the posting so that you've got a record or the gains you have made as well as a record of the mistakes you have made along the way. Persistence is the key and in 6 months time you'll be surprised at how far you will have travelled. It sounds like you have a great set-up already with the machine from the outlaws as well as the basic iron. Good luck with the goals
    "Better to wear out than rust out!"

Squat 165kg/363lbs
    Deadlift 190kg/418lbs

My legs are hurting today from Saturday's 5x10 body-weight-only squats. lol... Got to start somewhere.

Today I received an email from No1Fitness that my equipment has finally been dispatched from a nearby city, so should arrive soon. In anticipation I started with the 5x5 workout today, even if just with basic weights.

Squats: 5×7 of 20Kgs
    Benchpress: 5×5 of 22.5kgs
    Barbell Rows: 5×5 of 22.5kgs

The eating and recording my food in MyFitnessPal has been going well these first 2 days and I've lost 2kgs (4.4lbs) in 2 days. Of course that's just water and whatever, but it is inspiring to get going.

To be honest, that was a disappointing workout. It's about an hour later and I feel like returning to the garage and doing some more. I won't, but certainly next time I'll add more weight. I was working considerably harder than this doing my own thing last week than following thie SL5x5 program today. I know that'll change as soon as I add some weight to it, just need my power cage to arrive so I don't have to squat from the ground.
    Last edited by FatherOfMany; 12-28-2014 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Add feedback

The DOMS will only be around for a little bit, one thing about squatting 3x per week is that your body gets used to it really quickly.

First month will be a struggle because it's so easy, build the mindset and don't sabotage yourself by overdoing it. Good to see an official start!

As Yar said, in the beginning it is going to feel easy. Don't worry though, that will soon change. Congrats on the weight loss!!

PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Welcome to the forums and congratulations on the weight loss. Count me in to follow along and watch your progress.

As others have said, consistency is the key. Choosing a good program that you can progress with is a good start. I've heard lots of good things about Stronglifts and it should keep you going for a while. Like Wil (yaaar) and Shane said, don't worry too much about starting light. Enjoy it while you can, because with its steady progression scheme, SL will get heavy very quickly.
    If in doubt, squat and run hills. So you walk into the gym and don't know what to do? Then squat and run hills. Have a miserable day at work and want to break someone's neck but aren't sure who's? Then squat and run hills. - Wendler

ISSA Certified Personal Trainer
    My Blog: https://slavinstrength.wordpress.com/
    IG: @greg_slavin

As yesterday was a very light workout and as I actually want to train Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays I thought I'd jump into the next workout today instead of waiting a day.

30/12/2014

Squats: 5x5 of 22.5Kgs
    OHP: 5x5 of 22.5Kgs
    Deadlifts: 1x5 of 22.5Kgs

Relooked at the StrongLifts website about deadlifts and noticed he mentions putting plates underneath your barbell to get the height up while you're busy with light weights. I did that and was able to do the deadlifts fine.
    Last edited by FatherOfMany; 12-30-2014 at 10:00 PM.
    My Training Journal - http://tentribechief.wordpress.com/2014/12/23/workouts/

mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Excellent work man.
    ☻/
    /▌

31/12/2014

Yoga video arrived this morning and later while starting with the yoga video my power cage and weights arrived!! Woohoo, finally!! So today's workout:

Yoga: 15 minutes (REALLY basic)
    Power cage assembly: 1 hour+

Photos to follow tomorrow when I have everything in place.

Originally Posted by FatherOfMany View Post
    31/12/2014

Yoga video arrived this morning and later while starting with the yoga video my power cage and weights arrived!! Woohoo, finally!! So today's workout:

And here we go......

Great man, can't wait to see the setup!!
    ☻/
    /▌

robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000)
    31/12/2014

Awesome, man. I am excited for you. I so prefer working out at home to the gym. Welcome and good luck.
    From unappealing to slightly less unappealing - A QUEST!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155671723

01/01/2015
    ========

First workout with the new power cage and weights, yay! Photo attached. The rowing machine will have to find a new home, I need more space.

Squats: 5x5 of 25Kgs
    Benchpress: 5x7 of 25Kgs
    Barbell Rows: 5x5 of 25Kgs

Keeping the weight the same for now as 25Kgs is pretty light, but my squat ability sucks. I've been watching some videos that yaar and others posted, but really I need to get a webcam going there so I can see what I'm doing the squats like.

Took me 6 months to get a 1/2 way decent squat

Thanks for all the encouragement and advice people. BB.com is messing up my body stats and don't seem to save what I've entered. Seems like it's only aimed at working for people recording in lbs in the US as it's messing up both my weights and dates. Don't particularly feel like capturing my stats and logs in different places and as the stats don't work there's no sense in me capturing it on BB.com, so I'll go back to capturing my stuff on my personal blog.
    Might check in here once a month or so.

Happily Married Man .pumpingiron's Avatar
    .pumpingiron will become famous soon enough. (+50) .pumpingiron will become famous soon enough. (+50) .pumpingiron will become famous soon enough. (+50) .pumpingiron will become famous soon enough. (+50) .pumpingiron will become famous soon enough. (+50) .pumpingiron will become famous soon enough. (+50) .pumpingiron will become famous soon enough. (+50) .pumpingiron will become famous soon enough. (+50) .pumpingiron will become famous soon enough. (+50) .pumpingiron will become famous soon enough. (+50) .pumpingiron will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Welcome bro..Another home gym lifter here..glad you got a power cage..best piece of equipment out there

Originally Posted by .pumpingiron View Post
    Welcome bro..Another home gym lifter here..glad you got a power cage..best piece of equipment out there
    Thanks mate. Yeah, while doing benchpress today I was thinking how happy I am with my setup. Good quality cage and good quality bench... I just need some more weights, but I'll get there.

Hey peeps, just thought I'd do a quick checkin here - mostly to show that I haven't given up in my first month...
    I've had some trouble with my knees and lower back, I think mostly because I'm terribly "un"-flexible and can't bend down low enough for squats etc. Anyway, got an appointment to see a sports/biomechanics physio on Tuesday and hopefully he can help me get flexible enough and learn to do squats and stuff properly.

So for a while I only did benchpress as that doesn't put any strain on those lower-body parts and now I've added deadlifts back in.

30/01/2015
    -------------
    Benchpress: 5x5 of 60Kgs
    Deadlifts: 1x5 of 62.5Kgs + 1x3 of 97Kgs (Just wanted to see whether I could lift all the weights I own)

Hopefully soon I'll be back to doing all the exercises in the SL5x5 program.

Good to see you're still at it, sorry to hear about the back and knees.

How's the intake and weightloss going?

Originally Posted by yaaar View Post
    Good to see you're still at it, sorry to hear about the back and knees.

How's the intake and weightloss going?
    What? We're not talking about that. I did well capturing everything in MyFitnessPal at first, but that seems to have fallen by the wayside as soon as I started having some stress in my life. I lost the initial 3kgs and have been stuck there.

Keep at it man. Consistency is the key. Good luck with the physio, hopefully they can get you sorted.

What? We're not talking about that. I did well capturing everything in MyFitnessPal at first, but that seems to have fallen by the wayside as soon as I started having some stress in my life. I lost the initial 3kgs and have been stuck there.
    Keep after it man... We've got a couple of your friends around, seems like there's a few NZ folks around now.