permabear86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) permabear86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) permabear86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) permabear86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) permabear86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) permabear86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) permabear86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) permabear86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) permabear86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) permabear86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) permabear86 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Help a novice decide what olympic plates to buy please!

First of all I would like to wish you all an early happy new year. Second I would like to ask for your advice on which set of olympic plates to buy.

My options are as follows:

- 300lb set of used non-grip plates including 45lb bar for $150 (the lowest price I can find on craigslist)
    - 300lb set of Fitness Gear branded new grip plates from Dicks Sporting Goods for $200 or so after tax, however the bar that comes with this set is questionable
    - 300lb set of Body Solid new rubber grip olympic plates for $450 shipped w/ a 600lb rated bar

Should I splurge and get the Body Solid setup? Or should I go cheap and plan to resell later when I upgrade? I really like grip plates but I am not in love with the Fitness Gear branded grip set at Dicks Sporiting goods. I am also not thrilled about the price for the Body Solid plates. Ultimately price is no object, however I hate to "waste" money. Has anyone been in a similar situation that can provide feedback? Thanks!
    Last edited by permabear86; 12-31-2011 at 05:11 PM.

fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by permabear86 View Post
    First of all I would like to wish you all an early happy new year. Second I would like to ask for your advice on which set of olympic plates to buy.

My options are as follows:

- 300lb set of used non-grip plates including 45lb bar for $150 (the lowest price I can find on craigslist)
    - 300lb set of Fitness Gear branded new grip plates from Dicks Sporting Goods for $200 or so after tax, however the bar that comes with this set is questionable
    - 300lb set of Body Solid new rubber grip olympic plates for $450 shipped w/ a 600lb rated bar

Should I splurge and get the Body Solid setup? Or should I go cheap and plan to resell later when I upgrade? I really like grip plates but I am not in love with the Fitness Gear branded grip set at Dicks Sporiting goods. I am also not thrilled about the price for the Body Solid plates. Ultimately price is no object, however I hate to "waste" money. Has anyone been in a similar situation that can provide feedback? Thanks!
    Here is a set of VTX plates with a decent but not great bar for $416 shipped:

http://www.gtechfitness.com/troyvtxg...weightset.aspx

Even nicer Troy plate with different bar choices starting at $516 shipped:

http://www.gtechfitness.com/troybarb...weightset.aspx

I started with the VTX plates and they were great.
    I got bit by the Ivanko bug though and upgraded.

Personally I would go with grip plates that you like. If you don't, you will more than likely spend more $ down the road anyway.

Geek
    []---[] Equipment Crew #34 []---[]
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #1 []---[]

"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional."

Evolution of my gym:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=131836863

permabear86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) permabear86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) permabear86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) permabear86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) permabear86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) permabear86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) permabear86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) permabear86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) permabear86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) permabear86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) permabear86 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by fishingeek View Post
    Here is a set of VTX plates with a decent but not great bar for $416 shipped

Even nicer Troy plate with different bar choices starting at $516 shipped:

I started with the VTX plates and they were great.
    I got bit by the Ivanko bug though and upgraded.

Personally I would go with grip plates that you like. If you don't, you will more than likely spend more $ down the road anyway.

Geek
    Thanks for the advice. I really like the Body Solid 12-3-6-9 grip pattern, however I am afraid I will get bitten by the Ivanko bug as well lol. Their urethane plates are awfully pretty .

Is the Troy set better than the Body Solid set? Again I am a novice so I don't really know yet what makes a good set good or a better set better etc. Thanks again.

dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My advice is to either buy cheap used plates (you can get your money out of them at a later date) until you can get the grip plates that you want, or just buy the grip plates that you want now. Compromising for something in the middle will likely result in wasted money as Geek suggested. Personally, I wouldn't want the rubber plates, unless I was purchasing bumper plates. Also, a nice bar would be my priority over nice plates. Rogue sells some nice bars at a reasonable price.
    Last edited by dumb.bell; 12-31-2011 at 05:46 PM.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #39 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #2 ▪█─────█▪

▪[[[[────]]]]▪ York Barbell Club #93 (DD) ▪[[[[────]]]]▪

▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #10 ▪[M]====[6]▪

186lbs in Avatar

fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I can't say as to which are nicer plates. The cool thing about the Troy plates is that they interlock taking up less room on the bar.
    Kinda of a gimmick but cool just the same.

When I started I dreamed about getting urethane plates. I was even looking at rubber coated ones too.
    I fell in love with the "clank" if iron though and wouldn't change now.
    A set of the Ivanko urethanes came up on CL in Denver about 2 months ago for a about 1/2 price.
    I wasn't even tempted because I love my current set.

If you do go with the rubber ones, research and make sure the center is well designed. Some people have problems sliding them on and off the bar.

Evolution of my gym:

eric_ortz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think you should buy a nice bar and then get the cheapest plates. Atleast then you won't be upgrading both when you have more money

Originally Posted by dumb.bell View Post
    My advice is to either buy cheap used plates (you can get your money out of them at a later date) until you can get the grip plates that you want, or just buy the grip plates that you want now. Compromising for something in the middle will likely result in wasted money as Geek suggested. Personally, I wouldn't want the rubber plates, unless I was purchasing bumper plates. Also, a nice bar would be my priority over nice plates. Rogue sells some reasonably nice bars at a reasonable price.
    Thanks for the reply. Why wouldn't you want the rubber plates? In my research I have found two disadvantages to rubber plates (as opposed to urethane). First, they stink if made of the wrong kind of rubber and from what I understand, this smell will go away. These Body Solid plates I am interested in DO have a problem with smell, however it apparently goes away with a couple washes with dishsoap or skunk smell remover lol. The second disadvantage (in comparison to urethane) is the finish is not quite as resilient. Spending 150% more for a more resilient finish in my opinion is a waste of money.

On the other hand, I am pretty sure I will (for no good reason lol) lust after the urethane Ivankos if I buy the Body Solid plates lol.

I can't say as to which are nicer plates. The cool thing about the Troy plates is that they interlock taking up less room on the bar.
    Kinda of a gimmick but cool just the same.
    Why would you say that is a gimmick? Sorry again, but I am inexperienced with these types of things. You need to explain this stuff like I'm a baby . Does taking up less room on the bar result in a significant benefit when you are trying to lift heavier weights? I presume you are talking about 500+ lbs. I have a physical job and doubt I will ever be breaking the 200lb body weight barrier. If you were me would you consider this a significant pro or not? I am a UPS driver so my job is very active, I doubt I could maintain a very high body weight. Thanks again you guys, you have been extremely helpful.

Originally Posted by eric_ortz View Post
    I think you should buy a nice bar and then get the cheapest plates. Atleast then you won't be upgrading both when you have more money
    Money ultimately is not my obstacle. Almost all my income is disposable at the moment. I can afford to buy the best right now, however I am unconvinced it is worth the extra money at the moment. That is what I am trying to decide. Thanks for you advice. Which bar would you buy and why?

dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks for the reply. Why wouldn't you want the rubber plates?
    Personal preference. I'm very anal about blemishes in the finish. At least with a metal plate, I can repaint it. Once rubber gets cut, you can't fix it, and it would just annoy the #@!! out of me. I know - weird. LOL

With regards to bars, take a look at Rogue's web page. They sell quite a few nice bars. Obviously, the Ivanko bars are really nice.

186lbs in Avatar

I guess gimmick is a bad word to use. There really wouldn't be a benefit unless you were going to move massive amounts of weight..

Don't sell yourself short on how much weight you will be able to move though.
    I have only been doing free weights for just over 2 years and I am well above 200 lbs on several lifts.

The rogue bars that dumb.bell mentioned are very nice. I'd like to get another one for bumper plate work and land mine use.
    I had one but sold it with the VTX plates to fund my Ivankos...

Evolution of my gym:

My preference on the Plates is Intek. I've got over 2500lbs of them and really like them. Unlike a lot plates, the 10lbers are also grip plates. Of course, you can never go wrong with Ivanko.

http://www.intekstrength.com/prod_plates.htm

186lbs in Avatar

Very nice indeed.
    2500lbs ....... awesome!

Evolution of my gym:

Very nice indeed.
    2500lbs ....... awesome!
    Eventually I want to pick up 2 to 4 100lb plates. They just don't pop up used very often.

186lbs in Avatar

Personal preference. I'm very anal about blemishes in the finish. At least with a metal plate, I can repaint it. Once rubber gets cut, you can't fix it, and it would just annoy the #@!! out of me. I know - weird. LOL

With regards to bars, take a look at Rogue's web page. They sell quite a few nice bars. Obviously, the Ivanko bars are really nice.
    Not so weird. I don't think I would be annoyed, at least not to the point of actually being frustrated, but I might wish I had plates that didn't get scuffed. Which rogue bars would you recommend and why? My goals are kind of strength + cross fit oriented.

I guess gimmick is a bad word to use. There really wouldn't be a benefit unless you were going to move massive amounts of weight..

Don't sell yourself short on how much weight you will be able to move though.
    I have only been doing free weights for just over 2 years and I am well above 200 lbs on several lifts.

The rogue bars that dumb.bell mentioned are very nice. I'd like to get another one for bumper plate work and land mine use.
    I had one but sold it with the VTX plates to fund my Ivankos...
    Ivankos sound addictive lol. Thanks again for the advice. I am not familiar with how much someone concerned with muscular endurance and strength will be able to lift after a couple years, so I don't really know what constitutes "selling myself short". I am 5 ft 9.5 so 200lbs is probably out of my reach with an active job such as mine. I presume I will never be lifting more than 600lbs but honestly I am not informed enough to know whether or not that presumption is relevant. What do you think? What do you define as "massive amounts of weight"?

My preference on the Plates is Intek. I've got over 2500lbs of them and really like them. Unlike a lot plates, the 10lbers are also grip plates. Of course, you can never go wrong with Ivanko.
    Why do you prefer these plates? Is it b/c the smaller plates are grip as well? Again thanks for the feedback.

My goals are kind of strength + cross fit oriented.

I am not familiar with how much someone concerned with muscular endurance and strength will be able to lift after a couple years, so I don't really know what constitutes "selling myself short". I am 5 ft 9.5 so 200lbs is probably out of my reach with an active job such as mine. I presume I will never be lifting more than 600lbs but honestly I am not informed enough to know whether or not that presumption is relevant. What do you think? What do you define as "massive amounts of weight"?
    You may want to consider bumper plates if you are looking at cross fit type lifts...

I'm not a body builder or a power lifter per say..
    I do it because I'm a Type II diabetic and lifting has got me off my medication and my blood sugar levels are that of a normal person now.
    I also became very addicted to the way the lifting makes me feel both physically and mentally.
    You will get a feel for how much you can lift and where you want to go. Hitting an 8 rep 225 lb bench was a big milestone for me and I look for ward to onward and upward.
    Bigger muscles and more strength are a very nice side affect of my main reason though....

Geek

Evolution of my gym:

Most of the Rogue bars priced right around $300 are the same bar with different finishes (lifetime warranty against bending or breaking). I like the one named "The Rogue Bar" because I like the black oxide finish and the dual set of rings (Powerlifting and Olympic Lifting) which may come in handy if you are interested in Olympic Lifts (Crossfit). The quality and warranty make this one of the best bars for the money. The Pendlay Nexgen bar might be a slight step up in quality and it has a similar warranty, but you can't get a black oxide finish and I think it only has the Olympic rings.

Beyond these bars you step up to both Rogue and Pendlay's bearing bars. I'm not sure the bearing bars are necessarily worth the extra money (mainly for Olympic lifting - I personally wouldn't use one for benching). I think Glenn Pendlay even says that bearing bars aren't really necessary unless you are competing and although Ivanko makes one, Tom Lincir has questioned whether they are actually better than a really good bushing bar.

My bar opinions are based on owning a woman's Rogue bar, Pendlay bearing bar, Ivanko bushing bar, Old and newer York bars, and a no name without bushings. If I could only have one bar, it would be the Ivanko.

If you are really interested in Crossfit and Olympic Lifting, you will likely want to invest in some bumper plates.

As far as my preference for the Inteks, the grip fits the hand well, they are some of the more accurate plates, and I just like the cosmetics. I rank them right up there with the Ivankos. However, I will say that comparing them to the Ivanko slotted grip plates (not revolvers), it looks like Ivanko puts a little more effort into the finish. Around the perimeter of the plates, the file marks are more visible on the Inteks vs the Ivankos.

186lbs in Avatar

You may want to consider bumper plates if you are looking at cross fit type lifts...
    I have, however I live with my parents at the moment, in a house with wood floors raised 3 ft off the ground (no concrete garage is available either). Ideally I would just get bumper plates, however at the moment I think I will settle for kettlebells. Can you perform olympic lifts on a raised wooden floor if you have a platform? I am relatively certain my wood floors could withstand the weight, but at what cost?

I'm not a body builder or a power lifter per say..
    I do it because I'm a Type II diabetic and lifting has got me off my medication and my blood sugar levels are that of a normal person now.
    Congrats. You should be very proud of your accomplishment.

I also became very addicted to the way the lifting makes me feel both physically and mentally.
    I have become very addicted to the way BODY WEIGHT exercises make me feel. It is needless to say that I am excited about getting my rack and weights . I have nearly eradicated my depression and anxiety issues.

You will get a feel for how much you can lift and where you want to go. Hitting an 8 rep 225 lb bench was a big milestone for me and I look for ward to onward and upward.
    Bigger muscles and more strength are a very nice side affect of my main reason though....

Geek
    Thanks yet again for the advice. I have no basis upon which to say this, but I think I would prefer being able to do more reps at a relatively higher weight than low reps at an even higher weight. For example I would rather be able to squat 400 lbs 10 times over 500 lbs 5 times so the absolute max I can fit on a bar may be less relevant to my needs as opposed to someone else.

Most of the Rogue bars priced right around $300 are the same bar with different finishes (lifetime warranty against bending or breaking). I like the one named "The Rogue Bar" because I like the black oxide finish and the dual set of rings (Powerlifting and Olympic Lifting) which may come in handy if you are interested in Olympic Lifts (Crossfit). The quality and warranty make this one of the best bars for the money. The Pendlay Nexgen bar might be a slight step up in quality and it has a similar warranty, but you can't get a black oxide finish and I think it only has the Olympic rings.
    Thanks

Beyond these bars you step up to both Rogue and Pendlay's bearing bars. I'm not sure the bearing bars are necessarily worth the extra money (mainly for Olympic lifting - I personally wouldn't use one for benching). I think Glenn Pendlay even says that bearing bars aren't really necessary unless you are competing and although Ivanko makes one, Tom Lincir has questioned whether they are actually better than a really good bushing bar.
    What makes the bearing bars not worth the extra money? What the difference between a bearing and bushing bar? Please don't get mad, remember I'm an uninformed newbie .

My bar opinions are based on owning a woman's Rogue bar, Pendlay bearing bar, Ivanko bushing bar, Old and newer York bars, and a no name without bushings. If I could only have one bar, it would be the Ivanko.
    Is the difference subjective? Is it based on feel? Or does it have to do with weight tolerance or something more objective? Thanks again.

If you are really interested in Crossfit and Olympic Lifting, you will likely want to invest in some bumper plates.

As far as my preference for the Inteks, the grip fits the hand well, they are some of the more accurate plates, and I just like the cosmetics. I rank them right up there with the Ivankos. However, I will say that comparing them to the Ivanko slotted grip plates (not revolvers), it looks like Ivanko puts a little more effort into the finish. Around the perimeter of the plates, the file marks are more visible on the Inteks vs the Ivankos.
    I would be more interested in Crossfit if I was sure my parents wood floors could handle the abuse lol. For now I would settle for some rubber or urethane coated iron plates. Let me ask you this. Would you prefer the grip pattern of the Body Solid plates if they had no smell and were made of better materials?

See the Q and A below. The answer is from Tom Lincir - Founder of Ivanko Barbell

Q: What are the substantive differences between a needle
    bearing bar and a bar with bushings. Is the needle bearing
    bar worth the extra cost?
    - J.B, California.

In my opinion, roller or needle bearings are just a gimmick.
    To my knowledge, the first person to make a bearing bar was
    Andy Jackson of the Jackson Barbell Company back in the
    1940’s. A copy of the original blue prints are in the collection
    of the Ivanko Historical Society. Years later, when bearing bars
    were first used in International Competition, several lifters
    dislocated their shoulders.
    What really made think about this was when I was
    displaying our stainless steel Olympic Bar with needle bearings
    (OBSNB) at the FIBO trade show in Germany, and a lot of old
    time Olympic lifters came up to me to tell me how much they
    disliked this sort of bar and wanted to be assured that they
    could still obtain bushing bars from Ivanko. In fact, one lifter,
    who was awarded a silver medal in the Olympics, thought needle
    bearing bars caused the plates to spin too much.
    The lifters I’ve talked to have felt that a bushing bar gave
    just the correct amount of spin. When the bar was overhead,
    the plates didn’t keep spinning. And if you think about it
    for a second, a bearing is supposed to be for high RPM
    (Revolutions Per Minute) applications and a bushing for lower
    RPM applications. Bushings with the correct fit and tolerance
    are the ideal. A bearing simply isn’t the right thing for an
    Olympic bar. But a bushing is the perfect thing. You really only
    need to spin the bar for about one-half a turn so why would
    you want to put a needle bearing in a bar that doesn’t ever get
    full (or fast) rotation?
    Even if bearings did help you lift more, why is this a good
    thing? How many people who buy Olympic bars are competitive
    lifters vs. those who just want to improve their strength for
    their particular sport? A good bushing bar will probably outlast
    a bearing bar. The use of bearings is the use of technology for
    the sake of marketing hype. In all my years of collecting antique
    barbells and equipment, I’ve never seen a bushing bar wear out.
    Remember this: No one ever got
    stronger by making the lift easier.
    So why does Ivanko make a needle bearing bar?
    Did we fall for the hype ourselves? Are we proffering a gimmick?
    I think we make the best needle-bearing bar on the market.
    No one comes close to putting in the time to do it right like
    we do.
    I was discussing this fact in general a while ago with an old
    friend of mine who was a long time Eleiko dealer. Sometimes
    you make concessions to the market. I’m pleased that we’ve
    made very few. But sometimes it’s better to give people what
    they want than to try to educate them and make them smart.

186lbs in Avatar

See this thread, specifically post #5 by Essexlad

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...0662713&page=1

186lbs in Avatar

Is the difference subjective? Is it based on feel? Or does it have to do with weight tolerance or something more objective? Thanks again.
    In my opinion the Ivanko just exudes quality. The overall fit and finish just seem better than the others. The only one that comes close is the Pendlay and it has the silver finish of which I'm not a fan. The Ivanko is made out of higher PSI steel and the sleeves appears to spin as smoothly as the Pendlay (I've never tested this). I don't really do Olympic lifting, at least not yet. I use the Ivanko and Pendlay more for deadlifts and cleans than anything else. If I really did a lot of Olympic lifting I might be able to tell a difference in the sleeve rotation between the two, but I doubt it.

Just to clarify, I'm talking about the Ivanko OBX-20KG and although it is a bushing bar it is close to the same price as the Pendlay bearing bar. The Ivanko bearing bar cost almost twice what the Pendlay does (However, the Ivanko bearing bar is made out of stainless steel).

The Ivanko also lacks the warranty that comes with the Pendlay.

186lbs in Avatar

Would you prefer the grip pattern of the Body Solid plates if they had no smell and were made of better materials?
    I doubt the smell will be that much of an issue, some of my Pendlay bumpers had a mild odor initially, but in a few days it was gone. The smell may take longer with the body solid plates, but I still don't see it as a major issue (just try to get some feedback from people who have owned them).

I'm not crazy about the body solid grip pattern or the overall look, but that is jut a personal preference. The grip hole on the body solid plates run parallel to the perimeter of the plate (as do most grip holes on grip plates). What I like about the Intek is that the grip hole actually curves opposite the curve on the perimeter of the plate and that seems to fit in my hand more naturally.

186lbs in Avatar

Another interesting thread, especially post #22 with the link to all of the Ivanko PDFs

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...3291163&page=1

186lbs in Avatar

clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clockwork247 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    cheapest gripped plate you can get... and don't go new.

I've found out that more plate (cheap) is better than little plate (expensive)...

yes I know there's a difference in quality of plate, but when you are just starting out it's just better to have cheaper plates and lots of them...

easier to load on and off, switching exercise ect... ect...

just look on CL, and wait, that's the name of the game, wait it out for good deals...

I just called some dude on a deal, I think it'll be really good if I can pick it up (but sometimes it doesn't go your way and someoen snatch it up 1st lol), but I've found plenty of good deals on CL.

Since you are considering Olympic Lifting eventually, I should mention that the Ivanko does not have standard rings/markings. I actually like their unique markings, but they aren't standard, which might be more important for Olympic Lifting.

186lbs in Avatar

masterweb07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If money is not the the object then its better to go for a new pair of bars. You can go with used plates and later on switch to new plates.