Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I like to get all worked up on the internet about whether or not people I don't know use straps. I feel that it makes me look tough, which is very important.
    Who was this love of yours?

im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by drvelociraptor View Post
    No grown man, especially a 200 lb man should need straps at 190 lb deadlift. Simply doing deadlifts will resolve his issue up until at least 400 lbs. If after that and you hit the intermediate phase then maybe your grip failing could require straps. At his level no way he needs straps, he just needs to deadlift more. I have yet to see one person male or female who deadlifts once a week starting low and adding 5-10 lbs a week stall out and have their grip fail at 190 lbs.
    Well apparently he is an outlier and needs the added help. The deadlift is a back/pc exercise not a forearm/grip isolation. If he is not competing there is absolutely no reason not to use straps.

jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i feel you OP. mine fails me nearing the top of my 5 rep max. it starts to slip down in my hand on the way up. it's annoying b/c it takes my focus off of keeping my back rigid and keeping the bar close to my legs. i figure i'll just keep at it though and eventually my hands will adapt...

drvelociraptor is on a distinguished road. (+10) drvelociraptor is on a distinguished road. (+10) drvelociraptor is on a distinguished road. (+10) drvelociraptor is on a distinguished road. (+10) drvelociraptor is on a distinguished road. (+10) drvelociraptor is on a distinguished road. (+10) drvelociraptor is on a distinguished road. (+10) drvelociraptor is on a distinguished road. (+10) drvelociraptor is on a distinguished road. (+10) drvelociraptor is on a distinguished road. (+10) drvelociraptor is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ThickAsABrick View Post
    I like to get all worked up on the internet about whether or not people I don't know use straps. I feel that it makes me look tough, which is very important.
    I don't think anyone's trying to be "tough" or getting "worked up" I'm trying to give the guy some logical advice. If you are failing at a 190 lb deadlift, just deadlift more with a little sense and purpose in your lifting. Or you could waste your time with forearm curls and work your way to a 200 lbs deadlift.

I would wager if his grip is failing his back is rounding and sorts of other **** is going on.

He should back the weight off, deadlift once a week, possibly twice early one, start at 150 lbs and add 5 lbs - 10 lbs to the bar every session, eat right, don't mess with recovery, and I guarantee he gets to repping 275 with no issues at all before his first stall, all with no straps.

People are giving him advice like he were an elite lifter needing to break a plateau instead of a very novice lifter just starting his novice gains run.

Sinisterc6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sinisterc6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sinisterc6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sinisterc6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sinisterc6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sinisterc6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sinisterc6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sinisterc6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sinisterc6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sinisterc6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sinisterc6 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have a similar problem, I'm doing DL once a week and up the weight 5lbs each week, my hands have been adapting fine. I've changed around my back exercises so that I'm utilizing grip strength more often. I also and doing shrugs with a BB as oppose to DBs to simulate a DL and improve grip. Finally when you carry BBs for chest or shoulder exercises take the opportunity to perform a farmer carry. The key to to emphasize grip as often as possible to promote growth.

I also squeeze the weight collars while working abs.

djamazon1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hand grippers?

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    For bodybuilding, don't allow a weak grip to hinder progression. Work on strengthening the grip, but also use straps and/or a mixed grip.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by DJAuto View Post
    For bodybuilding, don't allow a weak grip to hinder progression. Work on strengthening the grip, but also use straps and/or a mixed grip.
    couldn't have said it better...
    USPlabs Sponsored Athlete
    http://usplabsdirect.com/

In order to win...you must first learn how to lose...

C.O.C. Grippers #1 - CLOSED
    C.O.C. Grippers #2 - CLOSED

My Training Journal -
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=110517591

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The OP isnt entering a Bodybuilding contest anytime soon . . .

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    The OP isnt entering a Bodybuilding contest anytime soon . . .
    Virtually nobody on bb.com is.

JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Swanky View Post
    Hey guys,

I have a problem: I've just upped the weight on deadlifts to 190 lbs. My back can handle this weight, but my arms and hands can't. I've tried wearing gloves yet my grip still fails me. In fact, I can't complete all 8 reps solely because my hands lose grip and the barbell falls. It's really a pain because my back CAN handle the weight, but my grip is failing me. What can I do to alleviate this problem?

Thanks, everyone :-)
    Dang your losing grip at 190???? i didn't start losing grip till 225 for reps both overhand. With mixed grip i lose grip at around 280. With chalk i can hold onto 365 mixed grip.

Either way keep workin, don't use gloves, don't use straps. Get chalk. It dries out your skin and helps with grip. And use a mixed grip. one hand over one hand under. and switch em every now and then.

And my grip strength improves because of other lifts too not just deadlifts. But im sure deadlifts are probably the primary reason for my grip.

alot of people might think straps are okay. but its not good in the long run. Only time i think straps are really acceptable are for some wide grip pull ups. With straps u can really go to failure and push urself with those.

but anways. CHALK CHALK CHALK. if your gym doesnt allow chalk. or chalk is too messy. buy some BODYBUILDING.COM LIQUID GRIP. i got a 8oz??? bottle or w/e is the larger on the site. it wasn't too expensive. and it works great. Lasted me a longggg while. still got like half a bottle left and its been like a year.

JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JJinSS is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Oh i forgot to mention. when your doing a mixed grip over/under.

Your weaker hand is over. and your stronger hand is under.

and ur weaker hand will catch up to the stronger one. Till than keep that hand over not under. Than start alternating every now and then once your weaker hands caught up. Usually its gunna be your left hand for right handed people. and vise versa.

Originally Posted by im2manly View Post
    Well apparently he is an outlier and needs the added help. The deadlift is a back/pc exercise not a forearm/grip isolation. If he is not competing there is absolutely no reason not to use straps.
    True Dat.

don't let your grip hinder your progress on your back. But still like i said.. i don't think its worth it in the long run.

ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Protege385 View Post
    Dont use straps. Use chalk and work on grip strength.
    This. Little bit goes a long way. If you just rub a little in your palms nobody is going to notice, my gym has the "no chalk" signs like most.

To improve grip, use a split grip (one hand overhand and the other underhand). Also try simply holding your last rep as long as you can.

Not sure what type of a program you are on either but 8 reps is excessive IMO for deadlifts. Upping the weight to something you can only get for 3-4 reps with a pause and a reset after each is far more productive.

qeynos is not very helpful. (-500) qeynos is not very helpful. (-500) qeynos is not very helpful. (-500) qeynos is not very helpful. (-500) qeynos is not very helpful. (-500) qeynos is not very helpful. (-500) qeynos is not very helpful. (-500) qeynos is not very helpful. (-500) qeynos is not very helpful. (-500) qeynos is not very helpful. (-500) qeynos is not very helpful. (-500)
    dunno why people say "dont use straps"

guess you would rather your grip fail before the muscle you're supposed to be working fails.. real intelligent

sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by qeynos View Post
    dunno why people say "dont use straps"

guess you would rather your grip fail before the muscle you're supposed to be working fails.. real intelligent
    I was a pro bodybuilder and had a weak back. Never wanted to use straps. Decided to use them...now back is a strong point. Build my forearms with direct work.

Use straps, get bigger/better.
    *CEO B Built International
    *Head of Social Media/Online Marketing/PR @ All American Pharmaceutical
    *Columnist for Iron Man, Natural Muscle and Muscleandfitness.com
    *Creator of the P/RR/S, FDF/FS and O-BEY-6 Training Systems
    *Trainer/Prep Coach to Athletes Globally

"Limits can be discussed, but in no way need be obeyed."

Hughjorrgan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hughjorrgan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hughjorrgan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hughjorrgan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hughjorrgan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hughjorrgan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hughjorrgan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hughjorrgan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hughjorrgan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hughjorrgan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hughjorrgan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by drvelociraptor View Post
    I can't believe the amount of people recommending straps for a 200 lb guy struggling on a 190 lb deadlift. Am I reading this right? Seriously go look at the endless videos of hot 120 lb women repping 225 sans straps.

The guy needs a little chalk and to deadlift more.
    No ****

jorairdan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jorairdan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jorairdan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jorairdan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jorairdan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jorairdan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jorairdan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jorairdan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jorairdan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jorairdan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jorairdan has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    OP--

i noticed that you said your grip starts to fail around the 8th rep of your set.

are you doing each rep consecutively or are you briefly resetting before each rep? if you're doing the former, then that would explain why you're grip is failing at such a low weight; doing 8 straight reps without ANY sort of deloading (for lack of a better word) between your reps requires an awful lot of grip ENDURANCE.

remember, its a DEADlift. the point of it is not to see how much weight your grip can withstand. briefly resetting after each rep (so that the weight is 'DEAD' at the start of each rep) will ensure that your forearms don't hinder the lift.
    Last edited by jorairdan; 12-29-2011 at 09:58 PM.
    there's a 99.9% chance that I can jump higher than you.

Correlating things. CorrelationBrah's Avatar
    CorrelationBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) CorrelationBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) CorrelationBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) CorrelationBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) CorrelationBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) CorrelationBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) CorrelationBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) CorrelationBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) CorrelationBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) CorrelationBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) CorrelationBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've heard only good things about liquid chalk - a lot less messy and still does the job. Just Google'd it and it's about a fiver for 250ml, seems worth it.

I personally use straps, although they should only be used when your grip begins to falter.
    I rep back.