Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Cheek74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is 5x5 the best way to gain mass?

Never tried it before so I was wondering if I should after wrestling is over with. Right now I'm doing light weights and high reps sense it's wrestling season, I don't want to gain mass, but when the season is over I want to gain about 20 pounds for football for my senior year. If there is any other better ways to put on mass I would like to know, thanks.
    "If it was easy, everybody would be doing it."

PumpMachine123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PumpMachine123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PumpMachine123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PumpMachine123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PumpMachine123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PumpMachine123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PumpMachine123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PumpMachine123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PumpMachine123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PumpMachine123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PumpMachine123 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    5x5 = strength

Mass = eat a ton with hypertrophey training, which is 6-12 reps

Do compounds and use isolation exercises to complement the compound routine.

Repped. Thanks a lot man!

Saki has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Saki has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Saki has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Saki has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Saki has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Saki has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Saki has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Saki has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Saki has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Saki has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Saki has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by PumpMachine123 View Post
    5x5 = strength

Not entirely true.

If you're on a 5x5, gaining strength, and eating enough... Mass gains have to follow.

Aminian is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aminian is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aminian is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aminian is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aminian is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aminian is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aminian is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aminian is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aminian is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aminian is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aminian is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    5x5 = strength

I lol'd. The best way to gain mass, OP, is different for everyone, for some, something works Better than others. A beginner cannot use DC training, as an advanced lifter wouldnt really do well on SS.Arnold never used "hypertrophy" training until late in his career, it was all 5x5. Same with Reg Park and most other world class bodybuilders. 5x5 is extewmeley effective for most, when you have reached somewhat heavy weight, and find it harder to progress.

Strength=Mass.
    " Gain Power fiercely, and righteously, Let it be done, Let it be done with speed." - King Darius the Great Of Persia

- "The Joocy Leftover Survivor Crew"- MEMBER TJLSC FTW.

Thanks guys! I'm going to try 5x5 regardless after wrestling. It's something new and it seems really beneficial for football.

Packham93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Packham93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Packham93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Packham93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Packham93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Packham93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Packham93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Packham93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Packham93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Packham93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Packham93 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Is there a 5x5 routine on here, were can i find it, im going to try it to

KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000)
    5x5 definitely is strength gains out the ass if done right, mass I think is just made in the kitchen and compounds personally.
    Started @ 2009 - 335 LBS & 37% BF
    Now @ 2014 - 210 LBS & 11% BF

"Get what you like so you're not stuck having to like what you get."
    "Ghime? What's a ghime?" *Homer walks into the gym* "Oh, haha...a GHIME."

Slaytonslayer is a complete loser! (-2000) Slaytonslayer is a complete loser! (-2000) Slaytonslayer is a complete loser! (-2000) Slaytonslayer is a complete loser! (-2000) Slaytonslayer is a complete loser! (-2000) Slaytonslayer is a complete loser! (-2000) Slaytonslayer is a complete loser! (-2000) Slaytonslayer is a complete loser! (-2000) Slaytonslayer is a complete loser! (-2000) Slaytonslayer is a complete loser! (-2000) Slaytonslayer is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Originally Posted by Packham93 View Post
    i have not seen any, though im sure a number of people, including me, can easily make one for you if youd like, or you can make one yourself knowing how your body reacts to the different excercises

giggity69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) giggity69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) giggity69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) giggity69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) giggity69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) giggity69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) giggity69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) giggity69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) giggity69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) giggity69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) giggity69 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Packham93 View Post
    madcows 5x5

XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    no.
    Staple Supplements:

Allmax Nutrition Isoflex
    Universal Animal Pak
    Universal Animal Rage
    iForce Hemavol
    Thermolife C-bol
    Orange Oximega Fish oil
    Every time you don't give 100%...
    You make it that much easier for me to beat you... -Anonymous

mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Do whatever YOU like man. Somedays I go for 5 sets of 5 otherdays I got for 6 sets of 12. Depends on the body part too. For example, I hate doing low reps for my legs. I don't get a pump at all. I can do 315 for like 6 reps on squats and just dont feel it. Yeah it's hard but I get no pump. I'd much rather do 275 for 10 reps for a few sets.
    The 2 most important things to me when training are 1. The Muscle Mind Connection. and 2. Intensity

NSCA Certified Trainer
    NPC Competitor
    Utah State Firefighter

Registered User MiscStrngthCrew's Avatar
    MiscStrngthCrew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MiscStrngthCrew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MiscStrngthCrew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MiscStrngthCrew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MiscStrngthCrew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MiscStrngthCrew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MiscStrngthCrew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MiscStrngthCrew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MiscStrngthCrew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MiscStrngthCrew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MiscStrngthCrew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    In general for most people, added strength will lead to added hypertrophy. There's a lot of debate about rep ranges and how heavy you have to lift, but it's proven that 5 reps and 8-12 reps are at least equal in mass building capabilities, while 5 reps and lower can lead to more strength. Even if the two rep ranges were equal, I would do 5 reps just to gain the added strength that comes with it. I can't really tell you which one is better, you just have to see for yourself. And the program doesn't have to be 5x5, it can be 4x5 or 3x5. I do my own variation of a full body workout that consists of 2 warmup sets and 4x5 working sets for the squat, standing shoulder press and bent over row. Some days I add pullups and isolation work. The best thing to do is create a program that works best for you, but yes 5x5 is an excellent way to gain mass and strength, which you will want for football.

Braveheart91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Braveheart91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Braveheart91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Braveheart91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Braveheart91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Braveheart91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Braveheart91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Braveheart91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Braveheart91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Braveheart91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Braveheart91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hypertrophy <3 got alot of mass through this

whizkyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whizkyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whizkyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whizkyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whizkyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whizkyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whizkyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whizkyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whizkyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whizkyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Aminian View Post
    I lol'd. The best way to gain mass, OP, is different for everyone, for some, something works Better than others. A beginner cannot use DC training, as an advanced lifter wouldnt really do well on SS.Arnold never used "hypertrophy" training until late in his career, it was all 5x5. Same with Reg Park and most other world class bodybuilders. 5x5 is extewmeley effective for most, when you have reached somewhat heavy weight, and find it harder to progress.

Strength=Mass.
    That is a lie....Arnold used it alot early then late in his career

He also suggests using 8-12 reps for upper and 12-16 reps for lower for mass gain

Every rep range is gunna build mass and strength, but different ranges are 'optimal'

also Strength =/= Mass

Saki has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Saki has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Saki has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Saki has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Saki has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Saki has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Saki has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Saki has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Saki has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Saki has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Saki has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by whizkyy View Post
    also Strength =/= Mass
    No, but there is a correlation. After the point where CNS adaption to heavier weights slows down, if diet is on point and lifts are going up it is impossible for mass gains not to follow.

There is a reason that they have bodyweight classes in powerlifting, for example. More muscle mass = more fibres the CNS can potentially recruit.

bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i really dont know any world class bodybuilders that used 5x5 training except for reg park.

Mechka has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mechka has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mechka has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mechka has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mechka has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mechka has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mechka has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mechka has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mechka has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mechka has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mechka has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    No arnold trained for hypothery in his natural days.............................................. .................................and if your after size 8-12 reps and every now and then do 5-6 reps to bost platues ect

Shredded-Wolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Shredded-Wolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Shredded-Wolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Shredded-Wolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Shredded-Wolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Shredded-Wolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Shredded-Wolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Shredded-Wolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Shredded-Wolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Shredded-Wolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Shredded-Wolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Did 5x5, got from 170 to 225 (Diet was GOMAD, don't do it, keep it lean brah). Felt good.
    We are the product of our influences. Originality is so hard to come by in this society.

***I Rape Back***

Shredded-Wolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Shredded-Wolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Shredded-Wolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Shredded-Wolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Shredded-Wolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Shredded-Wolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Shredded-Wolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Shredded-Wolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Shredded-Wolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Shredded-Wolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Shredded-Wolf has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by bravo96 View Post
    i really dont know any world class bodybuilders that used 5x5 training except for reg park.
    Pretty sure Arnold followed in Regs footsteps. Here brah.

Arnold's 5X5
    In the aforementioned book by Schwarzenegger, the legendary bodybuilding movie star describes his program for using the 5X5 workout program. Arnold would perform traditional bodybuilding split routines, training different parts of his body in different workouts over the course of the week. Unlike Starr and Rippetoe, both of whom recommend no more than three workouts per week, Arnold would work out as much as twice a day, five and six days per week. During a chest workout for example, he might perform the bench press, incline press, cable flyes, and dumbbell flyes. He would perform five sets of five repetitions of each one. The 5X5 workout program led Arnold to an unprecedented seven Mr. Olympia titles, providing ample evidence that the concept works well
    From the beginning I was a big believer in the basic movements, because that was Reg Park's preference. He would stay with the basic exercises--bench presses, chin-ups, squats, rowing, barbell curls, wrist curls, pullovers, leg extensions, calf raises. These were the movements that worked most directly on all body parts. I was following his example to the letter. And as it turned out, I could hardly have chosen more wisely. The basic exercises were creating for me a rugged foundation, a core of muscle I could later build upon for a winning body. Reg Park's theory was that first you have to build the mass and then chisel it down to get the quality.
    -Arnold: The Education of a Bodybuilder
    Reg park (the first bodybuilder to bench over 500 pounds) said

If you're a beginner and you want to train like Arnold Schwarzenegger, then you have to train like Arnold Schwarzenegger trained as a beginner. When Arnold first began training he trained 3 days a week, so you'll train three days a week. When Arnold first began training he followed a Reg Parks routine, so you'll follow a Reg Parks routine. When Arnold first began training, he focused on the big heavy compound lifts, so you'll focus on the big heavy compound lifts. This is how Arnold got his start on the road to being the best that there ever was and it's my hope that this could be your start as well. Let's take a look at some of the programs advocated by Reg Parks, all of which Arnie would have used at some point. Try to imagine Arnold at 15, 16 and 17 doing the exact same things that you'll be doing. Try to recreate for yourself some of the same excitement, determination and raw power that Arnie did, and ultimately, success.

And these are the Reg Park 5x5 routines Arnie followed

Reg Park and 5x5

The 5x5 model was Reg Park's choice du jour for packing on slabs of muscle and producing hundreds of pounds of strength. This is also the model that Arnie came to know and love during his formative years. But this isn't Bill Starr's 5x5, this is Reg Park's 5x5 and it's a little different. The first two sets of five are actually used as warm-up sets. So let's say we're going to work our way up to a 150 lb bench, the first set of five would be about 60% or 90 lbs, and the second set of five would be about 80% or 120lbs. After that you would get down to the grit, what Reg liked to call Stabilizer Sets; 3 sets of 5 at 150lbs. So it would end up looking like:

5x90 (Warm-up @ 60%)
    5x120 (Warm-up @ 80%)
    5x150 (3 stabilizer sets)
    5x150
    5x150

When you can get all your reps of 5 at 150 lbs, you add 5 lbs. So next time your bench it would be:

5x95
    5x125
    5x155
    5x155
    5x155

Reg liked to use about 3-5 minutes to rest in between sets.

One more thing: When you're first starting any 5x5 program you never want to start with your max. Typically you start 30-45 lbs below what you think you can do and work your way back up. Starting anywhere near your maximum capacity is a good way to stall out, so give yourself a running start. If that means starting with an empty barbell, well, just consider that Arnold and Reg both started at the same place you will.

Onto the programs...

The Reg Park Beginner 5x5 Routine

Here is a workout that he and Arnold used with great success (provided by Kaya Park, Reg's grandson)

Workout A

Back Squats 5x5
    Chin-Ups or Pull-Ups 5x5
    Dips or Bench Press 5x5
    Wrist Work 2x10
    Calves 2x15-20

Workout B

Front Squats 5x5
    Rows 5x5
    Standing Press 5x5
    Deadlifts 3x5 (2 warm-up sets and 1 "stabilizer set")
    Wrist Work 2x10
    Calves 2x15-20

Week 1: A, B, A
    Week 2: B, A, B
    Week 3: A, B, etc

Reg Park's 5x5 Power Training

Schedule 1 - To be performed 3x/week for 5 weeks before continuing onto Schedule 2

Back Squat - 5x5
    Bench Press - 5x5
    Power Clean - 8x2
    Standing Press - 5x5
    Barbell Curl - 3x5 strict, add 20-30lbs then 2x5 cheat curls
    Deadlift - 5x1, working up to a top weight (Only performed on Day 3) Beginners should do 1x5

Schedule 2 - To be performed 3x/week for 5 weeks.

Front Squat - 5x5
    Clean and Press, warmup w/ 2 sets of 2, 5x2 Stabilizing sets. Optionally perform 2 more sets of 3 Push Jerks
    Upright Row - 5x5
    Dips - 5x8
    Dumbbell Curls - 5x5
    Deadlift - 5x1, working up to a top weight (Only performed on Day 3) Beginners should do 1x5

And this is arnold at the end of those.
    We are the product of our influences. Originality is so hard to come by in this society.

***I Rape Back***

musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000)
    5x5 is really good. I'm on PHAT right now which is imo the best of both worlds. as with Madcow's you add weight to the bar once a week so do you with PHAT on each power day then you have higher rep days in the middle and end of the week.
    Lifetime PR's

Squat 445 w/ wraps (405 raw no wraps)
    Competition Bench 275
    Deadlift 435

Training Log:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177139451

Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    5x5 = strength

This. When you do 5 reps, your body says "Hmm I must be training for strength, ergo I will not build any muscle now"
    But when you do that 6th rep, your body realizes you are a bodybuilder and therefore releases essential hypertrophy hormones which make you huge
    It's all about that 6th rep.

musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Ka0s View Post
    This. When you do 5 reps, your body says "Hmm I must be training for strength, ergo I will not build any muscle now"
    But when you do that 6th rep, your body realizes you are a bodybuilder and therefore releases essential hypertrophy hormones which make you huge
    I lol'd
    Lifetime PR's

Squat 445 w/ wraps (405 raw no wraps)
    Competition Bench 275
    Deadlift 435

Training Log:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177139451

matthew10113 will become famous soon enough. (+50) matthew10113 will become famous soon enough. (+50) matthew10113 will become famous soon enough. (+50) matthew10113 will become famous soon enough. (+50) matthew10113 will become famous soon enough. (+50) matthew10113 will become famous soon enough. (+50) matthew10113 will become famous soon enough. (+50) matthew10113 will become famous soon enough. (+50) matthew10113 will become famous soon enough. (+50) matthew10113 will become famous soon enough. (+50) matthew10113 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    lmaooo
    Follow my log ------->http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140887851

╔══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    ~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong black woman ~ ~ ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don’t need no man ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    ╚══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ═════════════

Class of 2013

At first I like "Ka0s are you srs?" then I lol'd.

***I Rape Back***

knight07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) knight07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) knight07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) knight07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) knight07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) knight07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) knight07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) knight07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) knight07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) knight07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) knight07 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    5x5 is great. Its mostly strength but if youre eating and getting stronger, youre going to grow. Hypertrophy routines work well if you already have solid muscle but you have to get a solid frame to work with first, which is where powerlifting routines work best.

A lot of famous bodybuilders competed in powerlifting and focused on strength training before they began bodybuilding. I personally have switched from all hypertrophy and I now run 5x5 advanced and do bicep/tricep hypertrophy during the off days of 5x5. It works wonders, Ive gained 25 lbs since august. Despite training for strength, I still look like I can compete in bodybuilding.

whizkyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whizkyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whizkyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whizkyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whizkyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whizkyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whizkyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whizkyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whizkyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whizkyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Shredded-Wolf View Post
    Pretty sure Arnold followed in Regs footsteps. Here brah.

Reg park (the first bodybuilder to bench over 500 pounds) said

And these are the Reg Park 5x5 routines Arnie followed

Reg Park and 5x5

The 5x5 model was Reg Park's choice du jour for packing on slabs of muscle and producing hundreds of pounds of strength. This is also the model that Arnie came to know and love during his formative years. But this isn't Bill Starr's 5x5, this is Reg Park's 5x5 and it's a little different. The first two sets of five are actually used as warm-up sets. So let's say we're going to work our way up to a 150 lb bench, the first set of five would be about 60% or 90 lbs, and the second set of five would be about 80% or 120lbs. After that you would get down to the grit, what Reg liked to call Stabilizer Sets; 3 sets of 5 at 150lbs. So it would end up looking like:

5x90 (Warm-up @ 60%)
    5x120 (Warm-up @ 80%)
    5x150 (3 stabilizer sets)
    5x150
    5x150

When you can get all your reps of 5 at 150 lbs, you add 5 lbs. So next time your bench it would be:

5x95
    5x125
    5x155
    5x155
    5x155

Reg liked to use about 3-5 minutes to rest in between sets.

One more thing: When you're first starting any 5x5 program you never want to start with your max. Typically you start 30-45 lbs below what you think you can do and work your way back up. Starting anywhere near your maximum capacity is a good way to stall out, so give yourself a running start. If that means starting with an empty barbell, well, just consider that Arnold and Reg both started at the same place you will.

Onto the programs...

The Reg Park Beginner 5x5 Routine

Here is a workout that he and Arnold used with great success (provided by Kaya Park, Reg's grandson)

Workout A

Back Squats 5x5
    Chin-Ups or Pull-Ups 5x5
    Dips or Bench Press 5x5
    Wrist Work 2x10
    Calves 2x15-20

Workout B

Front Squats 5x5
    Rows 5x5
    Standing Press 5x5
    Deadlifts 3x5 (2 warm-up sets and 1 "stabilizer set")
    Wrist Work 2x10
    Calves 2x15-20

Week 1: A, B, A
    Week 2: B, A, B
    Week 3: A, B, etc

Reg Park's 5x5 Power Training

Schedule 1 - To be performed 3x/week for 5 weeks before continuing onto Schedule 2

Back Squat - 5x5
    Bench Press - 5x5
    Power Clean - 8x2
    Standing Press - 5x5
    Barbell Curl - 3x5 strict, add 20-30lbs then 2x5 cheat curls

Schedule 2 - To be performed 3x/week for 5 weeks.

Front Squat - 5x5
    Clean and Press, warmup w/ 2 sets of 2, 5x2 Stabilizing sets. Optionally perform 2 more sets of 3 Push Jerks
    Upright Row - 5x5
    Dips - 5x8
    Dumbbell Curls - 5x5

And this is arnold at the end of those.
    However he recommends 8-12reps and 12-16 for lower for Muscle mass gains

Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Who cares how Arnold Schwarzenegger trained?

doyoueveneat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) doyoueveneat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) doyoueveneat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) doyoueveneat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) doyoueveneat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) doyoueveneat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) doyoueveneat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) doyoueveneat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) doyoueveneat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) doyoueveneat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) doyoueveneat is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    the best way to gain mass is to provide adequate stimulus to the muscle + eat enough + genetics also play a role.

5x5 does provide adequate stimulus to the muscle.

jushe9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jushe9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    in my experience as a skinny person the best way to gain the mass i have so far has been through hypertrophy training i.e. moderate reps 8-10 and moderate weight. and of course changing routines