Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Stats: 6'2", 269 lbs
    EDutton99 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EDutton99 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EDutton99 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EDutton99 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EDutton99 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EDutton99 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EDutton99 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EDutton99 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EDutton99 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EDutton99 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EDutton99 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Visit EDutton99's BodySpace

Soreness in inner elbow instead of biceps after bicep/back workout? Progress?

Although I've been lurking around Bodybuilding.com for a couple of years now, this is my first actual post in this forum, so I suppose I will offer up a brief summary about myself to give everyone a little background. I am 33 yrs old (****!), and have just gotten back into weightlifting within the past year after re-assessing my health/fitness level & my poor diet/nutrition habits from years as a couch potato. I was a starting OL/DL/Tight End in football during my high school years, but I have not seriously hit the gym hard on a regular basis since those days. The short and bitter of that story: life/kids took precedence over worrying about how I looked during my 20's. Within the past year, I have since transitioned to a high protein diet (~50/25/25 split) low calorie diet to cut fat, and I've been hitting the gym hard to gain lean muscle. I alternate my workouts every 6 weeks between a heavy "pyramid/drop-set" style workout and the more moderate 4X Mass workout. Like most people here, I've done A LOT of research on nutrition, workouts, and supplementation and am working hard to implement the best of all 3 into my daily life. I also consider myself a pretty savvy and seasoned weightlifter due to my years of lifting during football and the ton of research I've done lately.

I guess the point behind all of that was simply to say that, although this is my 1st post in this forum, I am not a "newb" so don't start flaming me for this question. I know how to use the "search" function well, but I have not seen a thread that pertains exactly to my question.

So, my question is about soreness/progress in the arms after a back/biceps workout. I always complete all my back movements first so that my biceps will get indirect work before I move to isolating them with various curls, etc. I have seen about 1 inch of growth in my biceps while still losing lbs. on the scale, so I feel I am making progress. However, my biceps muscles never get sore on the days after working out. Instead, I feel soreness in my inner elbow region and some in my forearm. I expected the forearm soreness because I like to twist my forearms inward during the top motion of dumbbell curls, specifically trying to work the forearms. But I don't really understand the inner elbow soreness instead of full bicep soreness. I don't remember this feeling during my younger weightlifting days. Does anyone else experience this on a regular basis? Have you made long-term bicep progress even in the absence of full-on bicep soreness? Hopefully, another seasoned bodybuilder can help me with this one, because this is literally the ONLY body part that doesn't get sore after I workout.

Thanks for any help, guys! And I will try to participate more in the forums myself in the future.

Stats: 6'2", 269 lbs
    EDutton99 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EDutton99 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EDutton99 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EDutton99 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EDutton99 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EDutton99 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EDutton99 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EDutton99 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EDutton99 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EDutton99 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EDutton99 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Visit EDutton99's BodySpace
    Anyone? Am I the only one that experiences this?

Registered User DavidJohnston48's Avatar
    DavidJohnston48 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit DavidJohnston48's BodySpace
    Hi!

It sounds to be like you've found a muscle or tendon that you don't usually use, and by twisting, you're burning that out over your biceps.

I'd try a week of concentration curls or preacher curls, no twists to see if the problem goes away?

I have had a similar experience from doing pull ups with the forearm braced against a bar (forearm stays vertical) That really is challenging on the forearm, and inner elbow. I do however do zottman curls, and never really find that I have the problem that you mention.

It sounds to me that you're building a functional strength, rather than size - nothing wrong with it, but expect at least initially that your supporting muscles and tendons will fail first. You could do some twisting, then concentration with a much lighter weight, as your biceps will already be tired. If you do a few sets with 10-12 reps, and a lighter weight, you will get more growth, but less strength.

Not sure if I helped you there really??
    Want to build lean muscle, burn fat and get fit?

My site BodyPlusFitness.com is focussed on building lean muscle and fitness through a variety of different techniques - focus is on quality of workout, rather than quantity - fast, intense workouts that get lean, defined, ripped results.

Stats: 6'2", 157 lbs
    jmarcus101 is a name known to all. (+5000) jmarcus101 is a name known to all. (+5000) jmarcus101 is a name known to all. (+5000) jmarcus101 is a name known to all. (+5000) jmarcus101 is a name known to all. (+5000) jmarcus101 is a name known to all. (+5000) jmarcus101 is a name known to all. (+5000) jmarcus101 is a name known to all. (+5000) jmarcus101 is a name known to all. (+5000) jmarcus101 is a name known to all. (+5000) jmarcus101 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Visit jmarcus101's BodySpace
    Welcome to the forums! lol

-Is your pain over the large bony area on the inside of the elbow?
    -It sounds to me as though you are suffering from a medial epicondylitis injury. Although it is mainly known as golfer's elbow, it can happen with any sport or during exercise.

-Do you follow any of these symptoms?
    Pain and tenderness on the inner side of your elbow. Sometimes the pain extends along the inner side of your forearm.
    Stiffness. Your elbow may feel stiff, and it may hurt to make a fist.
    Weakness. You may have weakness in your hands and wrists.
    Numbness or tingling. Many people with golfer's elbow experience numbness or a tingling sensation that radiates into one or more fingers — usually the ring and little fingers.

-The pain is usually brought on with the following actions relevant to you:
    Shake hands, turn a doorknob, pick up something with your palm down, flex your wrist toward your forearm

The reason you may have this condition unfortunately has a lot to do with your age and condition. Although it is great that you want to get back into things, get healthy, and leave couch potato land, your body is not quite as resilient as it used to be. With a sedentary lifestyle quickly moving into an active one, your tendons have become somewhat lax. Essentially medial epicondylitis is the inflammation around the epicondyle which causes friction to the tendons in the area. This will ultimately cause the symptoms mentioned above.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions.
    -Justin
    To answer most training questions-

Strength: >85% 1RM <6reps 2-6sets
    Power
    - Single effort: 80-90% 1RM, 1-2reps 3-5sets
    - Multi effort: 75-85% 1RM, 3-5reps 3-5sets
    Hypertrophy: 67-85% 1RM, 6-12reps 3-6sets
    Endurance: <67% 1RM, >12 reps 2-3sets

--GCSU Athletic Training--

sadiq100 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) sadiq100 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) sadiq100 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) sadiq100 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) sadiq100 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) sadiq100 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) sadiq100 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) sadiq100 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) sadiq100 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) sadiq100 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) sadiq100 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    this is perfectly normal. Just rest the muscle a bit longer

Stats: 5'11", 169 lbs
    dashing5 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) dashing5 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) dashing5 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) dashing5 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) dashing5 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) dashing5 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) dashing5 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) dashing5 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) dashing5 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) dashing5 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) dashing5 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit dashing5's BodySpace
    Im the same way. your growing so i wouldnt worry. something that helped me was to keep my wrists bent back. In a supinated position bend your wrists back a little. it helped me

Stats: 5'10", 202 lbs
    IDrinkBloodLOL has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) IDrinkBloodLOL has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) IDrinkBloodLOL has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) IDrinkBloodLOL has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) IDrinkBloodLOL has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) IDrinkBloodLOL has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) IDrinkBloodLOL has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) IDrinkBloodLOL has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) IDrinkBloodLOL has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) IDrinkBloodLOL has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) IDrinkBloodLOL has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit IDrinkBloodLOL's BodySpace
    That's your tendon attachment. Nothing wrong with it getting worked, but let it heal up nicely before you work it hard again. It isn't an injury, but it could become one if you went at it again too hard too soon.

Stats: 5'10", 209 lbs
    iviicrociot has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iviicrociot has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iviicrociot has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iviicrociot has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iviicrociot has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iviicrociot has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iviicrociot has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iviicrociot has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iviicrociot has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iviicrociot has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iviicrociot has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit iviicrociot's BodySpace
    I had pretty nagging wrist elbow and lower back problems the first 8 months. My thoughts on it were since I lifted regularly in high school and for a 6 month period 5 years ago I was intermediate. So I was doing a 4-day split with a ton of volume at high weight.

In short my tendons and joints weren't ready for that level of stimulation and at first my wrist went out. I was really a beginner from a physical standpoint and was using a workout template not suited for me and I paid for it.

I still can't do skullcrushers or hammer curls at full weight a year later. I've found other ways to hit my muscles without aggrevating my old 'injuries'. May need to reevaluate your program.

Registered User mikegilbert1986's Avatar
    Stats: 196 lbs
    mikegilbert1986 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mikegilbert1986 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mikegilbert1986 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mikegilbert1986 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mikegilbert1986 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mikegilbert1986 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mikegilbert1986 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mikegilbert1986 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mikegilbert1986 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mikegilbert1986 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mikegilbert1986 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Visit mikegilbert1986's BodySpace
    Happens to me a lot man espechally when i seperated back and biceps now i do them together ounce a week so theres more healing time