Nyanja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nyanja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nyanja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nyanja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nyanja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nyanja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Starting HST program - Looks good?

Hey guys, I'm starting my HST program tomorrow (almost done with 9 days SD omg) and I have a couple of questions.

I have not been lifting really seriously until now and I find some exercises have low weights (incline bench, shoulder press). Is my lack of strength gonna have a negative impact on my muscle size growth?

I could not test my Barbell Upright Row's RMs since I added the exercise while I was in my SD. I guessed 35lbs as my 15RM. Based on my other weights, do you think it sounds fair?

I've never done Calf Raises before and couldn't test my RMs at my previous gym. What would be a good estimate knowing my calves are fairly strong?

Any opinion and/or critiques are welcome too.
    My StrongLifts 5x5 log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140678801&p=800258551#post800258551

midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) midcoastking33 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    HST is literally the last program you want to do if you lack strength

Nyanja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nyanja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nyanja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nyanja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nyanja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nyanja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by midcoastking33 View Post
    HST is literally the last program you want to do if you lack strength
    Could you elaborate a bit more? So you're telling me I just wasted 9 days on SD for nothing?

I thought with HST, even if your weights are not that much high, you get gains from progressive loading anyway.
    My StrongLifts 5x5 log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140678801&p=800258551#post800258551

Bump. Need more advice before starting tomorrow.

I'd Rather be Lifting... STL_Lift's Avatar
    STL_Lift will become famous soon enough. (+50) STL_Lift will become famous soon enough. (+50) STL_Lift will become famous soon enough. (+50) STL_Lift will become famous soon enough. (+50) STL_Lift will become famous soon enough. (+50) STL_Lift will become famous soon enough. (+50) STL_Lift will become famous soon enough. (+50) STL_Lift will become famous soon enough. (+50) STL_Lift will become famous soon enough. (+50) STL_Lift will become famous soon enough. (+50) STL_Lift will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    HST is a very good program, but I agree that you should get your lifts up first. Progressive load is the key, but HST is geared more toward more experienced lifters who cannot follow a weekly linear progreesion in weight.

Your squat should really be in the 300’s for a 5rm (which should put your dead around 400 and your bench around 250) before you get on HST. HST might get you some size still… but not much more strength, and you need strength before size.

I would recommend a 5x5 routine such as Bill Stars or Madcow’s and focus on getting your lifts up first. – but don’t worry, the SD you did was not in vain and you will still benefit from the rest!

I ran 3 cycles of HST of the summer (while eating maintenance) and was able to keep size with a slight loss in BF. I’m back to Madcows for the winter to get my lifts up.
    Height: 5'8"
    Weight: 198lbs

HST FTW

Originally Posted by STL_Lift View Post
    HST is a very good program, but I agree that you should get your lifts up first. Progressive load is the key, but HST is geared more toward more experienced lifters who cannot follow a weekly linear progreesion in weight.

Your squat should really be in the 300’s for a 5rm (which should put your dead around 400 and your bench around 250) before you get on HST. HST might get you some size still… but not much more strength, and you need strength before size.

I would recommend a 5x5 routine such as Bill Stars or Madcow’s and focus on getting your lifts up first. – but don’t worry, the SD you did was not in vain and you will still benefit from the rest!

I ran 3 cycles of HST of the summer (while eating maintenance) and was able to keep size with a slight loss in BF. I’m back to Madcows for the winter to get my lifts up.
    Yeah, I understand. I'm kinda disappointed with not doing HST but I need to go step by step.

Now I need to chose a 5x5 before tomorrow. That doesn't give me much time to read on all the existing 5x5... Which one would give a good balance of strength and muscle size?

STL_Lift will become famous soon enough. (+50) STL_Lift will become famous soon enough. (+50) STL_Lift will become famous soon enough. (+50) STL_Lift will become famous soon enough. (+50) STL_Lift will become famous soon enough. (+50) STL_Lift will become famous soon enough. (+50) STL_Lift will become famous soon enough. (+50) STL_Lift will become famous soon enough. (+50) STL_Lift will become famous soon enough. (+50) STL_Lift will become famous soon enough. (+50) STL_Lift will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Starting Strenth, Bill Star, or Madcow. There is a ton of information on the web about these. Still full body, 3 times a week with progressive load.

Take a look and feel free to ask any questions. And if it takes a day or two more SD before your ready, that's fine.

HST FTW

Starting Strenth, Bill Star, or Madcow. There is a ton of information on the web about these. Still full body, 3 times a week with progressive load.

Take a look and feel free to ask any questions. And if it takes a day or two more SD before your ready, that's fine.
    All right man. Thanks a lot for the help.

Actually, I'm thinking about cutting to at least 12% bodyfat before my bulk. Do you think I could still benefit from a strength training?

I think it's certainly possible to atleast keep strength while cutting, but gaining would be tough. You could always try cutting and if you start failing to keep progression going then you'll know it's not working. I always use this time of year bulking since there is always tons of food around the holidays anyway.

I see you lost 65lbs and at 5'3 that's a lot of weight! Good job.

5x5's are good routines for strength. Most the programs focus soley on the squat, dead, bench and overhead press. I still throw in pull ups, dips, laterals, curls and tris extensions too. When you start breaking your records you just may have to dail back the other stuff.

HST FTW

RipPratoacata has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RipPratoacata has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RipPratoacata has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RipPratoacata has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RipPratoacata has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Mexican Drug Runners In Colombia

arrityslora, cheaplorazepampharmacy com/ - generic ****** online There are some other more serious side effects or risks associated with ****** such as tolerance, dependence, and withdrawal syndrome cheaplorazepampharmacy com/]cheap lorazepam no prescription

RipPratoacata has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RipPratoacata has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RipPratoacata has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RipPratoacata has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RipPratoacata has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Meyers Drugs

arrityslora, cheaplorazepampharmacy com/ - buy lorazepam online no prescription Most of these symptoms will fade, but when in doubt patients should seek the opinion of their prescribing doctor to determine if the dosage and/or medication is the right one for them cheaplorazepampharmacy com/]****** without prescription

I think it's certainly possible to atleast keep strength while cutting, but gaining would be tough. You could always try cutting and if you start failing to keep progression going then you'll know it's not working. I always use this time of year bulking since there is always tons of food around the holidays anyway.

I see you lost 65lbs and at 5'3 that's a lot of weight! Good job.

5x5's are good routines for strength. Most the programs focus soley on the squat, dead, bench and overhead press. I still throw in pull ups, dips, laterals, curls and tris extensions too. When you start breaking your records you just may have to dail back the other stuff.
    Thanks for your answer man! Appreciate it.

My goal was to bulk and add some muscle but I realized I lack some strength on my lifts so I'll work on it first. When I feel my BF ready, I'll start bulking while trying to maintain it.

Decided to go with StrongLifts 5x5. Starting tomorrow! I'll also add 20mins of HIIT after every workout and I'll be doing runnin showshoe cardio on day off.

Do you think I can add some chins or it'll bust the program? Also, instead of 3 days a week, can I just workout every 2 days?

Most Harmful Drug

arrityslora, cheaplorazepampharmacy com/ - ****** drug generic ***** As is the case with all medications, ****** may be associated with some side effects cheaplorazepampharmacy com/]****** online no prescription

Originally Posted by Nyanja View Post
    Thanks for your answer man! Appreciate it.

My goal was to bulk and add some muscle but I realized I lack some strength on my lifts so I'll work on it first. When I feel my BF ready, I'll start bulking while trying to maintain it.

Decided to go with StrongLifts 5x5. Starting tomorrow! I'll also add 20mins of HIIT after every workout and I'll be doing runnin showshoe cardio on day off.

Do you think I can add some chins or it'll bust the program? Also, instead of 3 days a week, can I just workout every 2 days?
    Chins/pull-ups (with you palms facing away) are a great exercise to include. They are also a good measure of strengh as you progress forward. For example, if you start out and can only do 3x5, then in a week or so 3x8, then 3x10-12, you know you are getting stronger.

and I would Definitely stick with the 3 times a week.

HST FTW