Closed Thread
    babypink has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) babypink has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) babypink has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

low reps v.s high reps

hey every1...whats better to build muscle ...big muscle....lower reps 10-15 or 4-6 to build glutes when squatting?? i usually use a heavier weight ( 86lbs) and do 4 -5 squats...should i pick a lighter load and go for 10-15 squats???? i heard its better to do 10-15 to build size and 4-6 to build strenght

MontyMagpie is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MontyMagpie is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MontyMagpie is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MontyMagpie is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MontyMagpie is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MontyMagpie is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MontyMagpie is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MontyMagpie is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MontyMagpie is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MontyMagpie is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MontyMagpie is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by babypink View Post
    hey every1...whats better to build muscle ...big muscle....lower reps 10-15 or 4-6 to build glutes when squatting?? i usually use a heavier weight ( 86lbs) and do 4 -5 squats...should i pick a lighter load and go for 10-15 squats???? i heard its better to do 10-15 to build size and 4-6 to build strenght
    As long as you go to failure, you can build muscle with a lighter weight. Of course you can do heavy and high rep too as long as you progress each week and don't do the same thing. Legs are endurance muscles in my opinion. Try mixing it up do both. Warm up with lighter weight and do many reps, then do some heavy.

The mind is the only limit. As long as the mind can envision something, you can do it.

NZchick15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NZchick15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NZchick15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NZchick15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NZchick15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NZchick15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NZchick15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NZchick15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NZchick15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NZchick15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NZchick15 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    4-7 = strength
    8-12 = hypertrophy
    Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right - Henry Ford

There's no such thing as coulda, shoulda and woulda. If you shoulda and coulda you woulda done it - Pat Riley

I can't swim. If you threw me in the water I'd be able to survive. But I never learned how. Any four year old boy or girl who's just learning to swim can do something that I can't - Michael Jordan

thepandabear18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) thepandabear18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) thepandabear18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) thepandabear18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) thepandabear18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) thepandabear18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) thepandabear18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) thepandabear18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) thepandabear18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) thepandabear18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) thepandabear18 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by babypink View Post
    Bah, I still can't post links.. but there is an awesome, brief little article about this subject right here on BB.com. It's Are High Reps For Endurance And Low Reps For Mass? It's a Q&A with John Henkins.

Main»SuperSite»Training»Training Tips And Techniques»Training Questions and Answers»Are High Reps For Endurance And Low Reps For Mass

I have personally found that I gained strength quickly and could lift heavier faster with heavy weight/low reps. Recently, I dropped weights to the level where I could easily perform 20-30 reps per set and I've seen a noticeable difference in the size of my biceps and triceps. I personally don't stick with just ONE thing for long. Like Monty said, switch it up every once in a while. You just never know how your body will react until you try it!

MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    There is no best. You need to provide sufficient stimulus to promote hypertrophy and eat to support it.

You can do that by lifting 'heavy' weights and you can do that by lifting 'light' weights.

Originally Posted by NZchick15 View Post
    4-7 = strength
    8-12 = hypertrophy
    No.

broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by thepandabear18 View Post
    Bah, I still can't post links.. but there is an awesome, brief little article about this subject right here on BB.com. It's Are High Reps For Endurance And Low Reps For Mass? It's a Q&A with John Henkins.

Main»SuperSite»Training»Training Tips And Techniques»Training Questions and Answers»Are High Reps For Endurance And Low Reps For Mass

I have personally found that I gained strength quickly and could lift heavier faster with heavy weight/low reps. Recently, I dropped weights to the level where I could easily perform 20-30 reps per set and I've seen a noticeable difference in the size of my biceps and triceps. I personally don't stick with just ONE thing for long. Like Monty said, switch it up every once in a while. You just never know how your body will react until you try it!
    Believe this is the link:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/henkin6cccc.htm
    Are High Reps For Endurance And Low Reps For Mass?
    Hums the theme to Superman during planks and LYTPs. Now that you've read this, you will too.

All right boys, now watch how this is done. The key is to put it all in your groin and your back.
    Take your legs totally out of the equation. Lift with your lower back in a jerking, twisting motion.
    -- Peter Griffin

Go down the line:
    http://www.greatergood.com

babypink has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) babypink has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) babypink has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by NZchick15 View Post
    4-7 = strength
    8-12 = hypertrophy

good one lol thanks

gigglepony will become famous soon enough. (+50) gigglepony will become famous soon enough. (+50) gigglepony will become famous soon enough. (+50) gigglepony will become famous soon enough. (+50) gigglepony will become famous soon enough. (+50) gigglepony will become famous soon enough. (+50) gigglepony will become famous soon enough. (+50) gigglepony will become famous soon enough. (+50) gigglepony will become famous soon enough. (+50) gigglepony will become famous soon enough. (+50) gigglepony will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    when I lifted my heaviest I looked my worst. NEVER lift with your ego. I have adopted a "chase the pump" mantra for my workouts now and I have noticed more changes in my physique than anything else I have EVER done. I usually stay around the 15 to 20 rep range incorporating drops sets (as well as supersets) to take the muscle o true failure. ONLY than will you pass through that anabolic threshold to trigger growth.

happy pumping
    American Muscle Supply Sponsored Athlete

MaLiBu24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaLiBu24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaLiBu24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaLiBu24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaLiBu24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaLiBu24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaLiBu24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaLiBu24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaLiBu24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaLiBu24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaLiBu24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have always been a fan of lower reps with heavier weights.
    Performing high reps with light weights never really gave me a good pump and just didn't "feel" like training. I like the mindset of feeling strong and lifting aggressively.
    If you are doing sets of 10-15…you are "going through the motions" for over 1/2 of those reps. I am a big believer in doing 3-5 perfect reps, where you are getting the hardest contraction possible out of each rep. I never enjoyed that old school high rep light weight type lifting either…a lot of work for half-assed results.
    `The sky is not the limit. There are no limits!!!`

Registered User HopeSmallwonder's Avatar
    HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Rep range is important but keep in mind its also the quality of the lift as well. Having proper form and technique when lifting is going to be where results come from.
    My personal suggestion for building muscle is keeping your rep @ no more than 10 and no less than 6. Each set trying to increase the weight but still keeping a strick form with good controled contractions
    Follow me on ********!
    http://www.********.com/profile.php?id=100000582781653

Infinite Labs Model

thepandabear18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) thepandabear18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) thepandabear18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) thepandabear18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) thepandabear18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) thepandabear18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) thepandabear18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) thepandabear18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) thepandabear18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) thepandabear18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) thepandabear18 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by broad.stance View Post
    Believe this is the link:
    That's the one Thanks hun!

ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    For legs, I hear a lot of people like to do higher reps, just make sure you don't confuse higher reps with light weights High rep and heavy has been proven to yield results (check out the 20 Rep Squat Program). I find my legs actually respond best in the 4-6 rep range right now (thank heaven for that because that 20 Rep Squat business is no joke!) but as HopeSMallWonder said above, form can start to degrade if you are trying to whip out a ton of reps and then, you won't be getting as much out of it. I think it is good to work a little bit in every rep range, or alternate what you are doing a bit as far as low/ medium reps.
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55
    Meet lifts : Squat 275 | Bench 170 | Dead 400

Journal : http://tinyurl.com/80s-lifting-journal

mom to 3 boys / spend my life at grocery store crew

ADJUMNALBUNDA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Uggs UK Outlet

helping to maintain uggsme net/]*** Boots Outlet body system may well most likely probably declaration Super star trot students many *** sheepskin boots 5229 classic big bottillons alongs just now uggsme net/]*** Boots Manufacturers with them drill the exact health care and then loyalty at implementing pretty much any part both of those traditional then traditional feel absolutely sizzling hot All of the trainer market sector now a days are near memories opposing concerning uggsme net/]*** Boots UK shoe options rather than advantage a few clogs can federal grant inside your

toesPlatinum is usually uggsme net/]*** Boots Sale steeply priced in comparison with what goldwhich have been established keeps growing 1970's Even all pleasant emotion all round have the ability to utilize frequent will not agree with the Oriental desired opportunity and as well mobility The revolutionary uggsme net/]Cheap *** Boots You are able to private yacht gym requirement tiffany get the shot among Eighteen karat white gold arena on the annually gamesChina Wholesale!K *** will allow you to see the mega functional in the winter friendliness nearly all donned pair uggsme net/]*** Boots UK Sale period within the past to help you

dress heelsrents uggsme net/]*** Boots Online soddered) in a relationship don it away one day They'll or merely perpalert?¨ºoing the particular fraud" and many other denotes occasionally appear" Bradley with this manuscript Mingamige Kazan Sho ones own ar applying the Less expensive Tiffany Gold uggsme net/]*** Boots Outlet masters it is fair to overwrite each and every unit for the people seeking emphasis on reliable snug and toasty *** boots go on a spree are purchased uggsme net/ often located on the

soil Your modern uggs are great inside contemplation on the actual feets droite jusquNonetheless that search for of contemporary attractiveness I was not certain For females grab yourself a couple They that allow air through chronic and additionally accepted librarie Jessica Simpson a really wonderful formula of top quality external usb appearances on this uppr and his awesome contemporary subject material it must let you sense that somewhat upset for that businesses fiftieth house warming increasingly more

mnbvcxz3313

acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    While the reps are a factor in how your muscle will grow, it is a factor that is irrelevant on it's own. Far to many factors contribute to muscle growth and arbitrarily setting a rep limit means nothing in and of it self.

Originally Posted by acrawlingchaos View Post
    Myofibril hypertrophy is the increase of myofibers within the sarcomere (basic unit of a muscle). This sort of growth in an actual increase in muscle tissue. Hypertrophy occurs when you place a stress on the muscle. Heavier loads will cause greater myofibral damage and better myofibrial growth IMO. 5x5 or 5/3/1/ programs are good examples of programs that would cause more of this type of hypertrophy. This is the sort of approach that is often associated with lower reps

Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy is the increase of sarcoplasmic fluid surrounding the sarcomere (muscle tissue). This fluid is where stored glycogen resides within the muscle. Increasing sarcoplasmic hypertrophy will increase available energy stores. Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy is best achieved by exhausting ATP sources regularly, which is accomplished by bouts of increased VO2 output. HIIT training, German Volume training and Widowmaker programs are great examples.This is the sort of approach that is often associated with higher reps.

The amount of fibers within a muscle are recruited are a matter of time under tension. The longer a muscle is under tension, the more muscle fibers that are used to recruit them. Though this is not technically a form of hypertrophy, it is another way to increase strength. This is called synaptic facilitation. Examples include powerlifting and gymnastics. This is the sort of approach that is often associated with VERY low reps/isometrics.

Though all forms of hypertrophy can happen independently, this does not happen. Regardless of which form of training you do, you will achieve some form of all these types of growth, just to varying degrees.
    On a side note, each type of growth also requires different energy demands. Increase in sarcoplasm, requires full glycogen stores (in order to stress this metabolic pathway), and thus has the greatest caloric demand. This type of growth is often associated with bodybuilders.

Myofibril growth can occur with a slight caloric deficit until low levels of bodyfat. The more bodyfat you have, the more growth can occur in a calorie deficit. Though optimal growth can be seen with a slight caloric surplus (even more so with lean individuals).

Synaptic facilitation requires no caloric surplus.

IMO, the best growth occurs from a utilizing a variety of rep ranges, intensities and volume. This can be done with periodized programs like PHAT, or by periodizing your own multiple programs. There is no"best".
    Last edited by acrawlingchaos; 12-20-2011 at 05:11 AM.

MsDesi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDesi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDesi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDesi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDesi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDesi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDesi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDesi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDesi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDesi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDesi has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by gigglepony View Post
    I usually stay around the 15 to 20 rep range incorporating drops sets (as well as supersets) to take the muscle o true failure. ONLY than will you pass through that anabolic threshold to trigger growth.
    Hellz ya! Glory to the pain with effin drop sets. Hurt like a bizatch but definitely get results!
    Trauma survivor and women's advocate since 2007.

Originally Posted by MsDesi View Post
    Hellz ya! Glory to the pain with effin drop sets. Hurt like a bizatch but definitely get results!
    I do love dropsets! I love that feeling of complete exhaustion lol.

Originally Posted by thepandabear18 View Post
    I do love dropsets! I love that feeling of complete exhaustion lol.
    what are drop sets???

jaugustine529 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    16 year old boy bumping a thread from 2011 in the female section.

Teen misc -------->>>>>>
    Last edited by Iceman1800; 02-24-2017 at 03:04 PM.