Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

inmqz is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question If I take off from working out, will I lose muscle?

How long can you stop working out for without losing muscle? I've seen mixed comments on this, so what is the real consensus or answer?

Also, more specifically, can I go skiing for two weeks (I will ski a number of those days) and not workout, without losing muscle? I only workout twice a week. I know that is small, but I have definitely seen changes in toning and a bit in mass of my muscles. Will skiing be enough of a physical activity for the two weeks to prevent any muscle loss? Or am I going to lose it no matter what over those two weeks if I don't workout?

Stats: 5'4", 154 lbs
    JamesTrick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesTrick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesTrick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesTrick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesTrick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesTrick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesTrick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesTrick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesTrick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesTrick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesTrick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Visit JamesTrick's BodySpace
    Based off an article on the Supersite:

Originally Posted by Research Roundup, Vol. 1: Breaking Insights In Training, Nutrition And Supplementation
    Younger adults could reduce their training to one-third of their previous volume for 32 weeks and not only maintain their previous muscle mass and strength, but continue to realize a significant increase in muscle hypertrophy.

A weekly training volume of just one-ninth of the former training program still allowed young adults to maintain prior muscle mass and strength. Older adults, however, were only able to retain strength; they realized significant muscle mass losses in response to detraining.
    However, an individual's muscle loss could depend on the following factors:

- Protein intake and diet in general
    - Metabolism
    - Activity Level

If you lose muscle and go back to training, then you can expect to gain muscle back a lot faster than you originally gained it. This is called Muscle Memory.
    Hope this helps.

Stats: 5'9", 194 lbs
    BodyPoints: 3857
    jedi-dude is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jedi-dude is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jedi-dude is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jedi-dude is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jedi-dude is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jedi-dude is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jedi-dude is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jedi-dude is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jedi-dude is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jedi-dude is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jedi-dude is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Visit jedi-dude's BodySpace
    A 2 week break will not be too bad as long as you keep the protein intake high. Obviously you will be skiing and burning a fair few calories so it might be a bit different to what you may experience if you say went for a 2 week beach holiday with no activity.

Also, when did you last take a break from working out? It can be advantageous to take a 2 week break from lifting if you have not done so in a long time (6 months +)

I agree with the poster abov re: muscle memory. I went on a 3 month backpacking trip in Asia over the summer. I lost 2 stone. Some fat and a whole lot of muscle. I was down to a weight I was at 2 years before my holiday. It has taken me <3 months to get it all back.

Go skiing, enjoy it and just get back to work in the gym when you gt back!

Have a good holiday!