Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Nyanja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nyanja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nyanja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nyanja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nyanja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nyanja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I don't know what to do...

I hope you guys can guide me through what to do.

I'm cutting on a deficit keto diet (1700cals). I was 135lbs before starting my HST Strategic Deconditioning (more info here: http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html); I was not training AT ALL. I am now at 138. I gained 3lbs.

Now, I was planning on starting a bulk (with carbs) when I start my HST program but I don't really feel well bulking at my current bodyfat. I am probably at 16-17% bodyfat. The problem is, to start a HST cycle, one must go through 9 days of Strategic Deconditioning and I'm already 7 days into it. Not only would I have wasted 7 days but I would have to do another 9 days when I'll be ready to start it.

I thought about starting my HST program as planned and adding cardio on off-lift days staying on keto eating on a deficit or close to maintenance so I could still cut BF while keeping my muscle. But I would not benefit from the HST mass gaining purpose. Then, when I get a bit leaner (14% BF ish), I switch to a normal diet with carbs, raising the cals gradually.

I'm really depressed about my situation and to be honest, I really don't know where I'm going.

Any help will be really appreciated guys...
    Last edited by Nyanja; 12-17-2011 at 01:56 PM.
    My StrongLifts 5x5 log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140678801&p=800258551#post800258551

dann3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dann3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dann3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dann3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dann3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dann3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dann3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dann3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dann3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dann3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dann3 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    this is what you do:

forget about bulking and adding muscle, for now. focus on getting ripped. you will feel like a god when you reach sub 10% bf. Sitting at 16% makes people feel like sh!t.

get ripped> feel awesome+tons of motivation> clean bulk

when cutting: aim for 500-1000kcal deficit/day. refeed once a week where you eat AT LEAST 1000 kcal ABOVE maintainance. the refeed is very important. NEVER skip the refeed. you will gain ZERO fat on the refeed. i 100% guarantee you that.
    also, forget about keto. its an unnecessary strain mentally. you can get shredded while still eating loads of carbs.

if you follow my advice, cutting wil be smooth. you wont miss food or have cravings AT ALL and at the end of it you will feel motivated and happy about bulking.

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by dann3 View Post
    this is what you do:

forget about bulking and adding muscle, for now. focus on getting ripped. you will feel like a god when you reach sub 10% bf. Sitting at 16% makes people feel like sh!t.

when cutting: aim for 500-1000kcal deficit/day. refeed once a week where you eat AT LEAST 1000 kcal ABOVE maintainance. the refeed is very important. NEVER skip the refeed. you will gain ZERO fat on the refeed. i 100% guarantee you that.
    also, forget about keto. its an unnecessary strain mentally. you can get shredded while still eating loads of carbs.

if you follow my advice, cutting wil be smooth. you wont miss food or have cravings AT ALL and at the end of it you will feel motivated and happy about bulking.
    This advice is terrible for a number of reasons, but I'll focus on one: advising a 138 pound 5'3" individual to cut at a deficit of 500 to 1,000 calories is absurd and would likely bring his intake well below BMR.

And, just so you know, a caloric surplus causes increased adiposity regardless whether you call it a "refeed" or not.

OP: Pick a reasonable workout program, such as Starting Strength, and develop a proper diet by following the instructions here.

Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    this is what you do:

when cutting: aim for 500-1000kcal deficit/day. refeed once a week where
    you eat AT LEAST 1000 kcal ABOVE
    maintainance. the refeed is very
    important. NEVER skip the refeed. you
    will gain ZERO fat on the refeed. i 100%
    guarantee you that.

also, forget about keto. its an
    unnecessary strain mentally. you can
    get shredded while still eating loads of
    carbs.

if you follow my advice, cutting wil be
    smooth. you wont miss food or have
    cravings AT ALL and at the end of it you
    will feel motivated and happy about
    bulking.
    Great advice.

....If his goal is to look like a concentration camp survivor....

dann3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dann3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dann3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dann3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dann3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dann3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dann3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dann3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dann3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dann3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dann3 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by WonderPug View Post
    This advice is terrible for a number of reasons, but I'll focus on one: advising a 138 pound 5'3" individual to cut at a deficit of 500 to 1,000 calories is absurd and would likely bring his intake well below BMR.

And, just so you know, a caloric surplus causes increased adiposity regardless whether you call it a "refeed" or not.

OP: Pick a reasonable workout program, such as Starting Strength, and develop a proper diet by following the instructions here.
    lol. strong out of shape internet expert.

my advice gives results. your advice gives average garbage.

500-1000 deficit is easily EASILY doable if you add cardio. regardless of weight.

and no, fat storage from a refeed is not the same when the body is running 500-1000 sub the rest of the week. anyone with first hand experience will know this.

OP, this person is a typical forum expert who only parrots generic bullsh!t advice and will not get you the results you want and will not bring back your motivation.

Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    lol. strong out of shape internet expert.

my advice gives results. your advice gives average garbage.

500-1000 deficit is easily EASILY doable if you add cardio. regardless of weight.

and no, fat storage from a refeed is not the same when the body is running 500-1000 sub the rest of the week. anyone
    with first hand experience will know this.

OP, this person is a typical forum expert
    who only parrots generic bullsh!t advice
    and will not get you the results you
    want and will not bring back your
    motivation.
    The problem is at that weight he will have no muscle to cut to...

Nyanja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nyanja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nyanja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nyanja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nyanja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nyanja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Pick a reasonable workout program, such as Starting Strength, and develop a proper diet by following the instructions here.
    I was really minded on my HST program though. What if I start HST program with my non-keto diet on maintenance for 3-4 weeks?

Cal / Fat / Prot / CHO
    2000 / 607,5 / 540 / 852,5
    My StrongLifts 5x5 log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140678801&p=800258551#post800258551

Originally Posted by Kahldris View Post
    Great advice.

....If his goal is to look like a concentration camp survivor....
    no avi = you look like sh!t and have no idea what you're talking about.

Its better to be skinny and ripped and bulk from there, than bulk from 16%bf.

WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The OP's BMR is ~1,500 calories a day. Even if his activity factor is 1.6 (which is moderately active and included 5 days of moderate exercise per week), his TDEE would be ~2,400 calories per day. A 1,000 calorie deficit would put him at 1,400 calories per day, which is terrible. And it's very likely that his TDEE is below 2,400 calories per day. Thus, your advice is terrible.

and no, fat storage from a refeed is not the same when the body is running 500-1000 sub the rest of the week. anyone with first hand experience will know this.
    Caloric balance is what governs.

Blasting someone physique is not only against forum rules, it's also extremely immature.

Originally Posted by Nyanja View Post
    I was really minded on my HST program though. What if I start HST program with my non-keto diet on maintenance for 3-4 weeks?
    Maintenance intake is the same on or off keto. That said, any decent resistance program (one that emphasizes compound movements and proper progression), properly performed, with progressive overload will work for a beginner.

Any decent resistance program (one that emphasizes compound movements and proper progression), properly performed, with progressive overload will work for a beginner.
    But would I lose/maintain that bodyfat considering I'm eating my maintenance and not bulk calories?

But would I lose/maintain that bodyfat considering I'm eating my maintenance and not bulk calories?
    If you're eating at maintenance, you're likely just stagnating. There could be some recomposition, but that depends on many factors and it's likely vastly less efficient than using bulking/cutting cycles in the best case scenario.

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Cal / Fat / Prot / CHO
    2000 / 607,5 / 540 / 852,5
    Quantities in grams not cals

If you're eating at maintenance, you're likely just stagnating. There could be some recomposition, but that depends on many factors and it's likely vastly less efficient than using bulking/cutting cycles in the best case scenario.
    So, should I cut on HST for a while? I'll go maintenance - 15-20% for 2-3 weeks and see what happens. What do you say?

Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    Quantities in grams not cals
    Maintenance

Fat / Prot / CHO
    67,5 / 135 / 213,125

Cut

Fat / Prot / CHO
    67,5 / 135 / 138,125

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

I have no avi.. Guarantee I look better

The OP's BMR is ~1,500 calories a day. Even is his activity factor is 1.6 (which is moderately active and included 5 days of moderate exercise per week), his TDEE would be ~2,400 calories per day. A 1,000 calorie deficit would put him at 1,400 calories per day, which is terrible. And it's very likely that his TDEE is below 2,400 calories per day. Thus, your advice is terrible.

5 days of moderate excercise is lifting. add 30mins of hiit cardio on cross-trainer each day and he is near 3000 kcal. 3000 kcal - 1000 deficit = 2000 cals/day. perfect.

Caloric balance is what governs.

lol wow, i cant believe you dont know this. 44K posts yet you dont the difference in fat gain between a body running at a deficit vs a body above. mindblowing

So, should I cut on HST for a while? I'll go maintenance - 15-20% for 2-3 weeks and see what happens. What do you say?
    If you post a picture that shows your current condition, some of us could likely advise you more specifically. That said, eating at maintenance is likely the least effective course of action.

It seems like you don't understand the concept of TDEE or even how to determine post counts.

Damm.

You got me, I'm 300 pounds and get sexual pleasure out of misleading others on a bodybuilding fourm.

Well played.

^ I neg'ed him for his comment about you.

^ I neg'ed him for his comment about you.
    <3

I would rep you but my rep means nothing and im on recharge ;p

If you post a picture that shows your current condition, some of us could likely advise you more specifically. That said, eating at maintenance is likely the least effective course of action.
    Picture added. It's from 7 days ago. Add roughly 3 pounds to that.
    Attached Images

Based on the picture you attached, I'd say you have a decent bit of muscle; enough that you could do a short cut if you want to (assuming low body has at least parity with upper body in terms of muscle development), in which case you should calculate your TDEE (based on a BMR of ~1,500 calories and whatever activity factor is appropriate) and consume ~10% to ~15% below TDEE. Monitor weight change weekly or biweekly and adjust as appropriate.

That said, my personal preference would be for more size first, and thus I would bulk. But it's a personal decision.

Based on the picture you attached, I'd say you have a decent bit of muscle; enough that you could do a short cut if you want to (assuming low body has at least parity with upper body in terms of muscle development), in which case you should calculate your TDEE (based on a BMR of ~1,500 calories and whatever activity factor is appropriate) and consume ~10% to ~15% below TDEE. Monitor weight change weekly or biweekly and adjust as appropriate.

That said, my personal preference would be for more size first, and thus I would bulk. But it's a personal decision.
    Thanks for the advice.

Do you think I could lose some of my BF even when bulking? If I go 10% over my maintenance? I'd do my HST program (3 days of lifting) but add 45min medium cardio on off-lifting days.

10% over my maintenance would be 2227,5. With a split looking like:
    FAT / PROT / CHO
    67,5g / 135g / 270g

Do you think I could lose some of my BF even when bulking? If I go 10% over my maintenance?
    It's possible that your BF % will decrease slightly, but it's very unlikely that your BF (in absolute terms) will decrease. That said, with more muscle mass, you'll look leaner even with the same amount of body fat (in absolute terms).

vrundmc will become famous soon enough. (+50) vrundmc will become famous soon enough. (+50) vrundmc will become famous soon enough. (+50) vrundmc will become famous soon enough. (+50) vrundmc will become famous soon enough. (+50) vrundmc will become famous soon enough. (+50) vrundmc will become famous soon enough. (+50) vrundmc will become famous soon enough. (+50) vrundmc will become famous soon enough. (+50) vrundmc will become famous soon enough. (+50) vrundmc will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Picture added. It's from 7 days ago. Add roughly 3 pounds to that.
    Dude your fine. Bulk, its winter. I was in the same boat as you. I am doing a clean bulk and have gone from 129 pounds to 152 today, started May 1st. I have gained some fat but it hasn't been horrible. The thing is, I look 100 times better than before. I can't wait to start cutting in March. I am getting stronger every week and people notice I have gotten bigger, not fatter. Just my opinion. Good luck!

Ok, I'll go for the bulk then!

What do you think of the split I mentionned in my previous post?

What do you think of the split I mentionned in my previous post?
    Just shoot for at least 65 grams of fat and at least 125 grams of protein, with the rest of your caloric intake composed from your preferred mix of carbs and additional protein and fat.

Roger that. Thank you so much for your advice. Rep++.

I'll probably post a workout journal if your interested in how it goes!

Guys, I'm almost done laying down my new diet but I have a question.

I'm 9g over my daily protein goal. What would you modify?

Any other critique are welcome.

Thanks!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Nyanja; 12-17-2011 at 08:35 PM.

Guys, I'm almost done laying down my new diet but I have a question.

I'm 9g over my daily protein goal. What would you modify?

Any other critique are welcome.

Thanks!
    And?? There's no issue being over in protein