Registered User ThaExterminator's Avatar
    ThaExterminator is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThaExterminator is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThaExterminator is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThaExterminator is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThaExterminator is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThaExterminator is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThaExterminator is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThaExterminator is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThaExterminator is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThaExterminator is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThaExterminator is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Lifting with an Umbilical Hernia?

I figured this would be a good place to ask about hernias, especially umbilical hernias since I hear these are more common in power lifters or people who just generally lift heavy weight all the time. Anyway, I've been told by the doctor that I have an umbilical hernia. I know I have had it for quite awhile now because I know my belly button been an outty now for a good time. Just curious if anyone else in here has continued to lift with an umbilical hernia. The doctor said mine is still small and I could still lift, unfortunately I didn't think to tell him the amount of weight I was lifting. The hernia doesn't bother me at all, I guess I'm just paranoid about the possibility of it becoming strangulated. I am going to see a surgeon next week and most likely schedule the surgery. If anyone has had the surgery done before, how long was your recovery time? Thanks for any answers.

draco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) draco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) draco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) draco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) draco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) draco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) draco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) draco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) draco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) draco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) draco is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ThaExterminator View Post
    I figured this would be a good place to ask about hernias, especially umbilical hernias since I hear these are more common in power lifters or people who just generally lift heavy weight all the time. Anyway, I've been told by the doctor that I have an umbilical hernia. I know I have had it for quite awhile now because I know my belly button been an outty now for a good time. Just curious if anyone else in here has continued to lift with an umbilical hernia. The doctor said mine is still small and I could still lift, unfortunately I didn't think to tell him the amount of weight I was lifting. The hernia doesn't bother me at all, I guess I'm just paranoid about the possibility of it becoming strangulated. I am going to see a surgeon next week and most likely schedule the surgery. If anyone has had the surgery done before, how long was your recovery time? Thanks for any answers.
    I had mine operated on when I was a junior in high school. It was during football season when I noticed it. I leaned back in a chair to stretch and it felt like my stomach was tearing open. We got it checked out and it was an umbilical hernia.

It wasn't too serious though. I had the surgery done after the football season and was able to recover pretty well before the first game of my basketball season.

Recovery sure did suck though. I was bedridden and could not walk up and down stairs. You find out real quick how much you use your abdomen.

I was lucky to have this done when I was younger, so time off of work was not an issue.
    "What one can be, one must be." -Maslow