Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Lucid926 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Static Concentration Training

I read about this in an article, it's supposed to be a relatively new concept. Basically instead of doing reps, weight is held for 7 - 10 seconds at a "half rep" position. Supposedly people are seeing good gains with it but I thought I would run it by you guys before I tried anything.

sessa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    That isn't new. That is just an isometric hold.

I don't do those, instead I do really slow negatives. Less pressure on the joint.

ClassClown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    its a pretty old concept...been out there for a couple of years now actually

the guys who developed this concept arent that impressive...one is overweight and the other looks like an average guy...ive watched an entire video on the method so if you have any questions just ask

if you ask me...i have my doubts about it...things that work spread around pretty fast through word of mouth and this has been available for years...im guessing people arent using it for a reason

Benny5 is just really nice. (+1000) Benny5 is just really nice. (+1000) Benny5 is just really nice. (+1000) Benny5 is just really nice. (+1000) Benny5 is just really nice. (+1000) Benny5 is just really nice. (+1000) Benny5 is just really nice. (+1000) Benny5 is just really nice. (+1000) Benny5 is just really nice. (+1000) Benny5 is just really nice. (+1000) Benny5 is just really nice. (+1000)
    just picked up a book on this and was curious myself. the book is called "Static Concentration Training" by Peter Sisco and John R Little

I think i'll give it a go. Just for something different and it's definitely very scientific... of which holds my interest greatly.

it'll be a 10 wk program... and it's hard for me to just mentally drop what has worked for me for 5 yrs and also lose what for me is my stress relief - working out... because basically the concept gets you in and out of the gym in under 30mins... so i'll have to find another way to de-stress as the program only has you in the gym twice a wk as well.

i'm creating my personal training logs as we speak and it should be relatively easy to monitor the progress...

i figure now is the time to try it as i can use more free time, and also the break from my own style just for kicks.

My big training journal.... Check it out to cure boredom... Or help you sleep...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=111067201

Creator of HvH (High Volume Hell)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=108100601

Blog:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=173283871&posted=1#post173283871

Social being:
    http://www.myspace.com/benny5

Benny5 is just really nice. (+1000) Benny5 is just really nice. (+1000) Benny5 is just really nice. (+1000) Benny5 is just really nice. (+1000) Benny5 is just really nice. (+1000) Benny5 is just really nice. (+1000) Benny5 is just really nice. (+1000) Benny5 is just really nice. (+1000) Benny5 is just really nice. (+1000) Benny5 is just really nice. (+1000) Benny5 is just really nice. (+1000)
    found an interesting article on SCT and X-rep...

http://bodybuilding.home.insightbb.c...iccontraction/

hope that helps people seeking info

here's another link concerning this technique

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/homegym/magrevstatco.html
    Last edited by Benny5; 07-05-2005 at 12:37 AM.

My big training journal.... Check it out to cure boredom... Or help you sleep...

Blog:

Social being:

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Lucid926
    I read about this in an article, it's supposed to be a relatively new concept. Basically instead of doing reps, weight is held for 7 - 10 seconds at a "half rep" position. Supposedly people are seeing good gains with it but I thought I would run it by you guys before I tried anything.
    Like the other guys have said, it's nothing new. Arnold used to call it "flushing." I like to do a concentric pause while keeping the muscles under tension at the top of a the movement sometimes doing laterals. For certain exercises it has its benefits.

nick912 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nick912 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nick912 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nick912 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nick912 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nick912 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nick912 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nick912 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nick912 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nick912 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nick912 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I have this book and would like to try the program but would not have the willpower to stick with working out 1 day a week for 20mins. I need more !! But the theory makes sense.

skillgannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) skillgannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) skillgannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) skillgannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) skillgannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) skillgannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) skillgannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) skillgannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) skillgannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) skillgannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) skillgannon will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I tried sct a year or so ago. My joints will never be the same again. Its true that you will increase your current max lifts any where from 100%-1000% by only working in your strongest range of motion, however my joints couldn't keep up and ended up with a few injuries. So after 3 months of some good strength increases but no weight gain and several sore joints I threw in the towel.

I have found for me personally I respond much better to hst style training, plus its more fun and you get to workout 3-4 times a week. So far I am up 20lbs in 6 months, not all due to the training method but it obviously helped.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Benny5
    just picked up a book on this and was curious myself. the book is called "Static Concentration Training" by Peter Sisco and John R Little

I think i'll give it a go. Just for something different and it's definitely very scientific... of which holds my interest greatly.

it'll be a 10 wk program... and it's hard for me to just mentally drop what has worked for me for 5 yrs and also lose what for me is my stress relief - working out... because basically the concept gets you in and out of the gym in under 30mins... so i'll have to find another way to de-stress as the program only has you in the gym twice a wk as well.

i'm creating my personal training logs as we speak and it should be relatively easy to monitor the progress...

i figure now is the time to try it as i can use more free time, and also the break from my own style just for kicks.
    Sisco has some of THE worst ideas out there. avoid his writtings at all cost.
    <->

well somehow i can't edit my posts...

just trying to correct my typing in that it's Static CONTRACTION Training not concentration training.

thanks. peace.

day 1 was today... got a lot of logging to do in order to see results. today was guess work. next wk i'll have a better gauge.

Blog:

Social being:

gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I did them for 2 months, at the end of my chest routine, along with changing to a 5 sets of 5 for bench, instead of my usual 3x15,10,6 and my bench went from 275x3 to 335x3. I held for 10 seconds or longer.

jkygogo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I don't understand why so many are questioning this technique.

I don't understand why many of you here question this technique. I think alot don't want to admit what they've been doing for years is not working or that it didn't help them gain muscle. I know I've been wrong at times too. I'm not saying it does work, but it sounds legitimate to me. When I think about the wasted movements you have to go through in order to gain muscle and the chance for injury that occurs alot, this system seems fascinating.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    people question it because it's a ****ty ass technique the way Sisco's adapted it and it blows.
    <->

Lookin at the Big Picture BernieD's Avatar
    BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've never tried this type of training, but just from looking at it here are some observations..from this 1 link from above: http://bodybuilding.home.insightbb.c...iccontraction/

Quads: Leg extensions
    Hamstrings: Leg curls
    Calves: Standing calf raises
    Abs: Cable crunches
    Lats: Under-grip cable rows
    Mid-back: T-bar rows
    Pecs: Cable crossovers, pec deck
    Delts: Lateral raises
    Biceps" Concentration curls, spider curls
    Triceps: One-arm pushdowns, kickbacks

A lot of those exercises are blah. I only ever do less than half of those exercises anyway.

Slow negatives are really effective, and would almost certainly put less stress on the joints than what's suggested here. And to hold that contraction for 15 seconds, I'd have to even use less weight than the bodybuilding % of 1 rep max range.....Again, seems like taking a step back to me....

A lot of it just seems painful to me...and reading some of the posts here, it gave people joint problems.

So, just through common sense and knowledge of safer techniques I figured out this method is crappy, even though I've never even tried it (sounds cocky, I know...but I like my joints thank you very much, and holding a contraction for 15 seconds is NOT something I want to do).

And another thing...people have been saying you're only supposed to go to the gym 2x a week with this routine. What does that tell you? That this puts so much stress on your body and joints that doing it more than 2x a week would be bad...that's basically what it's saying. Wtf is that...where's the logic in that?
    The complete shoulder and RC injury thread, written by myself:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=529968 (MASSIVE NEW UPDATE AS OF 10/6/05)

Form is paramount.

Focus, focus, focus.

overall it's an interesting concept and anybody who wants to grow and find out what works for them shouldn't mind trying new things and should always have an open mind.

for me... i tried it for a wk... and i simply did not like only going to the gym twice a wk. it totally messed up my outside life, because i have made the gym my escape... and without my escape i was kinda down and out and alot more stressed out.

i also wanted to give E-max, Prostanozol, MaxLMG a fair shake... meaning I wanted to stick with what I know works for me and let the supps be my supps... instead of possibly wasting them on an old concept (1997) that never really fully caught on and also that I wasn't well versed in/confident in.

i've learned in this game to always be open to new things, so i'll probably at some point give the static contraction training another shot... but for now, with the supps on hand and having a ferocious goal to complete.... i'll stick with what i know, and experiment later once i've successfully accomplished my goals.

i should note however, that i might use the static contraction to end out a few exercises to get my body used to holding a lot more weight. everybody i've talked to about it all has said great strength gains, but also a lot of joint pain... and to me strength training is synonymous with joint pain... just need more ice.

for now... bodybuilding for the benny. 250 by march here we go

Blog:

Social being:

james_ashby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

My personal experience sith SCT

I have been doing SCT for a bit more than a year now and for me it works. For example, I just broke 2,500 lbs on the leg press today which is up about 700 lbs or 19% from the first of the year.

I do SCT at home using equipment built by Explosive Fitness specifically for use with SCT. With the EF equipment you fix the push bar in place so you are working in a position of maximum strength; do a few warm-up pushes (at 1/3 to 1/2 of your maximum effort) and then do one all-out push leaving nothing in the tank. A force meter with a digital readout is attached to the equipment so you can see precisely what your maximum effort was. It takes a few seconds from the time you start pushing to reach maximum effort.

I do a split routine. My A set consists of wide grip bench press, narrow grip bench press, shoulder press, leg press and toe press. My B set consists of seated curl, crunch, lat pull, dead lift and shrug. I generally do a 10 minute cardio warm up before my workout and the workouts themselves last about 15 minutes.

When I frist started SCT I was working out twice a week. I stuck with that schedule until I stopped making gains and then increased the number of days between workouts until I started making gains again. At this point I work out once every two weeks. The stronger you get the longer it takes to recover from an all out effort. By the way, I am 53.

I would recommend SCT, especially SCT using the EF equipment, to anyone interested in a highly efficient and effective strength training program.

blade002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think the reason that SCT hasnt become big, is because of the " well if its so good, why isnt everyone doing it? " mentality!. People will also hear about it, or hear one persons bad experience and read an arcticle on the internet dismissing it, and then dismiss it themselves.

Plus like most people who are already heavily into training, you are already set in your ways with a routine of 4 or 5 days a week, so rather than have an open mind and try this, you would rather just dismiss it and find every reason not to try it.

People who are just starting out " like me " with weight training, its ideal for!.. because we have not become set to one belief system of how training works, nor have we fallen into the supplement trap yet. but then for most that are only just starting our with weight training, there is no way we are going to hear about SCT or PFT as long as there is that closed mind and set in way mentality.

In my opinion, Gyms are set up with the old method of training, so that you'll buy all their products, from sports drinks to supplements, and its a business like anything else!.

And to be honest.. working out 5 to 6 days a week!!!???... your muscles arent much use to you, if the rest of your life falls apart!, are they?

The only thing im going to dread, is when i first start going to the gym and getting wierd looks from all the guys who do reps for 2 hours.. they will of course be thinking .. whats he doing, this guys an idiot!!.. lol

Just a thought.. no offence to anyone on here.
    Last edited by blade002; 09-30-2005 at 03:20 PM.

I think you're right

Originally Posted by blade002
    I think the reason that SCT hasnt become big, is because of the " well if its so good, why isnt everyone doing it? " mentality!. People will also hear about it, or hear one persons bad experience and read an arcticle on the internet dismissing it, and then dismiss it themselves.
    I think you are right. One has to be a bit of a contrarian to gice SCT a go. And you have to stick with it a while to show results. FWIW I found SCT became tricky to do in the gym. After a certain point if I could lift the weight at all I could hold it for more than 10 sec. With the purpose built equipment I can push all-out without having to guess how much weight to put on the bar....

Originally Posted by james_ashby
    I think you are right. One has to be a bit of a contrarian to gice SCT a go. And you have to stick with it a while to show results. FWIW I found SCT became tricky to do in the gym. After a certain point if I could lift the weight at all I could hold it for more than 10 sec. With the purpose built equipment I can push all-out without having to guess how much weight to put on the bar....
    Thanks James!. Your right, you need to stick at everything, no matter what it is to get any result. When it comes to the Explosive Fitness machine.. i REALLY REALLY REALLY want to get one of those machines, but its just way way too expensive for me!. plus im in Australia so once you do the currency coversion, im paying almost $2000 extra on top of the original price.

I really wish it was a possibility for me, but its not.

Yikes!

That IS expensive. Since EF has come out with a new version of their equipment you might keep your eye out for someone who wants to sell the old machine(s). I have seen them on Ebay for $1,500 or less...

Originally Posted by james_ashby
    That IS expensive. Since EF has come out with a new version of their equipment you might keep your eye out for someone who wants to sell the old machine(s). I have seen them on Ebay for $1,500 or less...
    Its funny you should say that, i was just going through ebay then trying to find one!..hehe.. although i was looking primarily on Ebay Australia and not America.

I think the chances of someone selling one in Australia is quite slim, so if i do buy one off ebay from America, i will have to pay for shipping as well.. which could be about $1000 extra given the weight of it!. but i would still be saving though.

Keep an eye out for me if you can mate.. I would love to get hold of one of these machines!.

It would be great to stay in touch with someone like you anyway.. because youve used the equipment and you know the routine to follow.. i might need your help in the future!. is that ok?.

You can be my SCT buddy!.. hehehehe.
    Last edited by blade002; 09-30-2005 at 04:53 PM.

Happy to answer questions anytime

I am in the process of selling my old equipment now since I got the new machine a few weeks ago. I have seen machines advertised from time to time on US ebay and on craigslist.com. You're right. Shipping to Australia would be an expensive proposition and would take a while. Good luck!

I was just wondering ashby. did you start of with STC using the Explosive Fitness machine.. or did you start off doing it in the gym?.. and if so, how well did you do in the gym?.

I cant afford the machine right now, even if it is going to cheap on ebay, so i'll be using the gym for while with this.. just thought maybe you had some feedback on it. Cheers mate!.

PowerFactor has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PowerFactor has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PowerFactor has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PowerFactor has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PowerFactor has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PowerFactor has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PowerFactor has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PowerFactor has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PowerFactor has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PowerFactor has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PowerFactor has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Nuatilus fate

I think the reason why PFT/SCT hasn't "caught on" is the same reason why all the Nautilus gyms across the country died. They both (nautilus & PFT) require very damn hard work to get the promoted results. Humans by nature don't wanna work hard they just want the results (aka juice use). Sisco's training philosophies ARE the best...period. Keep in mind tho U will have to train harder than U ever thought possible to gain 10lbs in 3 wks. Nothing of value obtained easily is worthwhile or has much permanency.

I started in the gym

I started SCT in the gym. I had good results or I would never have invested in the EF equipment. When I started I experimented with various combinations of machines and using a barbell in a weight cage and I found I preferred the barbell in the weight cage for the movements where this is appropriate (wide grip and narrow grip bench press, seated curl, overhead press, dead lift, shrug).

For the leg press, toe press and lat pull I used machines. For the leg press I was already doing full range 1,000 lbs 2x10 and could not put on enough weight to really do SCT on that movement. (I could have gone one leg at a time but that did not appeal for some reason). For the lat pull I used a Hammer Strength machine and that was OK. For abs I experimented with several things and never really came up with a weighted crunch that would let me work in my strong range.

I always worked by myself. So, yes, you can do it.

Abdominal ???

Going off the the subject a little james, but after listening to pete sisco's audio seminar, im a little confused as to what a Low Pully weighted crunch is, and also whether or not im supposed to do multiple crunches, or am i supposed to just hold it there for 10 seconds like all the other exercises??..

Very confused ... please help!!??..

Cheers mate!.

Originally Posted by PowerFactor
    I think the reason why PFT/SCT hasn't "caught on" is the same reason why all the Nautilus gyms across the country died. They both (nautilus & PFT) require very damn hard work to get the promoted results. Humans by nature don't wanna work hard they just want the results (aka juice use). Sisco's training philosophies ARE the best...period. Keep in mind tho U will have to train harder than U ever thought possible to gain 10lbs in 3 wks. Nothing of value obtained easily is worthwhile or has much permanency.
    no, it never caught on ebcause there are FAR more sound theories out there than his wishy-washy ideas
    <->

powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I dont train to much the way the articles are written but I do incorporate "static holds" in my routines. For instance, my current 1rm for bench is 600, for my static hold, I will unrack 650 to 700lbs and just hold it. What this does is train the body for heavier weights. I used to do this when my max was around 500 and I would hold 600. My strength gains came much quicker from 500 to 600 then any other time. You can do this for squats also. Just holding a massive amount of weight is a steady position is good for your core also. Now I am not sure if you want to do this if you bb but it works great for strength.
    Last edited by powerlifter70; 10-08-2005 at 07:02 PM.

Originally Posted by $AJ
    no, it never caught on ebcause there are FAR more sound theories out there than his wishy-washy ideas
    And thats your reasoning and argument towards STC & PFT ?. Forgive me, but i think i'll continue with it all. This isnt much proof of your validation. Have you tried it at any length or are you walking with the herd?

Sisco's writting and theories have really gone downhill over the last few years. There was a point where he did write credible stuff, but, meh, not anymore.

No, I havn't tried it, but I don't have to see just from reading the ideas behind it, and hearing other people's experiences, why it isn't a very good method - so far, only the 3 people in this thread who've said how good it is are the ONLY people i've ever seen say positive comments on it.
    <->