fr0gman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fr0gman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fr0gman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fr0gman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fr0gman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fr0gman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fr0gman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fr0gman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fr0gman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fr0gman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fr0gman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Grease the groove

Now I know some of you will ask, so here's some detail on my training and ability so far:
    -I've been training about 2 years now
    -My goal is to increase strength in calisthenics exercises, for improved performance in my running (long distance)

For those of you unfamiliar with grease the groove give this a read over
    http://trainingdimensions.net/SOS/SO...20Strength.pdf

Now, I've been considering starting a modified grease the groove training, so still training frequently, but splitting it up a bit. The workout I'm considering is as below

Day 1
    whenever I pass my pullup bar 1-5 easy pullups
    whenever I pass through my kitched 1-5 easy pushups/dips

Day 2
    whenever I cross the landing 1-5 lunges/bodyweight squats
    whenever I pass through the kitchen 1-5 split squats

I'm thinking of doing, in a week, a 1,2,1,2,1,2,X format.

What I'd like to know is whether this type of training is feasible for the long term or whether it's simply a quick boost? how long would you be able to use this type of training before you overtrain?

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by fr0gman View Post
    how long would you be able to use this type of training before you overtrain?
    You could probably train like this the rest of your life and never over-train.

TooHigh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TooHigh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TooHigh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TooHigh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TooHigh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TooHigh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TooHigh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TooHigh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TooHigh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TooHigh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TooHigh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I always have one or two grease-the-groove exercises on the go. Like this week my goal is to do 55 one-legged squats with this little weight I have by my desk, and 20 handstand push-ups. They're an awesome way of fitting exercise into your day; you don't have to make time to go to the gym, and you can still fit in awesome strength training.

You could probably train like this the rest of your life and never over-train.
    Agreed. I've been doing it for years.

One thing worth trying is doing your upper body solely with grease-the-groove training, leaving gym time free for the rest of the body. I find this really convenient and effective.