tronske will become famous soon enough. (+50) tronske will become famous soon enough. (+50) tronske will become famous soon enough. (+50) tronske will become famous soon enough. (+50) tronske will become famous soon enough. (+50) tronske will become famous soon enough. (+50) tronske will become famous soon enough. (+50) tronske will become famous soon enough. (+50) tronske will become famous soon enough. (+50) tronske will become famous soon enough. (+50) tronske will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Some questions about becoming a personal trainer..

So I'm 17 years old and I've grown up around the fitness lifestyle. I've been considering becoming a trainer and starting my certification process right now since I will be 18 in 3 months.
    Just some questions for any of you who are trainers..

Does age effect my chances of becoming a trainer even if I have qualifications such as powerlifting records and certifications through a more elite organization??
    Are you generally happy with your salary, and do you hold any other jobs besides being a trainer?
    And is it true you have to become recertified every year?

Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by tronske View Post
    So I'm 17 years old and I've grown up around the fitness lifestyle. I've been considering becoming a trainer and starting my certification process right now since I will be 18 in 3 months.

Does age effect my chances of becoming a trainer even if I have qualifications such as powerlifting records and certifications through a more elite organization??
    Are you generally happy with your salary, and do you hold any other jobs besides being a trainer?
    At first age and lack of experience will be a little tougher to land a job. I got certified at 18 and applied at ALOT of place. Got the same speech everytime, you dont have experience.

I am doing this sort of part time, I still go to school. But i am booked pretty solid when I dont have class. Make very very good money for the amount of hours I work.

No you do not get re-certified each year. Every organization is different but it will be 2-4 years, not every year.

darins will become famous soon enough. (+50) darins will become famous soon enough. (+50) darins will become famous soon enough. (+50) darins will become famous soon enough. (+50) darins will become famous soon enough. (+50) darins will become famous soon enough. (+50) darins will become famous soon enough. (+50) darins will become famous soon enough. (+50) darins will become famous soon enough. (+50) darins will become famous soon enough. (+50) darins will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The studio I train at is actively hiring trainers, and honestly it doesn't really matter what your age is (at least not to us). What is important is that you are willing to learn and able to demonstrate responsibility by showing up on time and spending some time at the studio even before you get your first client, learning how things work. There are places out there like that, so seek them out! Don't confine yourself to the big gym mentality.
    Online trainer and contest prep coach
    fivestarrphysique.com
    youtube.com/fivestarrfitness

100% Natural Bodybuilder jethro95's Avatar
    jethro95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jethro95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jethro95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Same problem with me too. I'm thinking about becoming one. But i think body shows the experience too?

Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    One thing to do if they turn you down for "lack of experience" is to ask if they have any group exercise classes they need help teaching (most fitness facilities always are looking for new group instructors). If they do have an opening for that, then you can use that as a stepping stone to get the experience needed. You'll get paid crap compared to being a full time trainer, but you will at least be able to prove your worth.
    ~Coach Rick Sterling Tarleton
    USA Weightlifting, USA Track&Field
    CrossFit L-1, ISSA CFT, Pilates
    www.CoachRickSterling.com

jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Get certified at 18 and ask to become an INTERN. I almost hired a 19 year old to become one of my "go to" head type trainers. After he was willing to intern and shadow with me and allow me to develop him for a few weeks. The only reason I didn't hire him is because he wasn't available at least 3 nights a week. (we train a lot of high school athletes)

Getting started in this industry is great young. Build a full book by 19 and 20 and become a director by 23.

LouV is on a distinguished road. (+10) LouV is on a distinguished road. (+10) LouV is on a distinguished road. (+10) LouV is on a distinguished road. (+10) LouV is on a distinguished road. (+10) LouV is on a distinguished road. (+10) LouV is on a distinguished road. (+10) LouV is on a distinguished road. (+10) LouV is on a distinguished road. (+10) LouV is on a distinguished road. (+10) LouV is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by jando View Post
    Get certified at 18 and ask to become an INTERN.
    ^^^^ Great advice! As long as you can afford to work for free for a little while, you'll be able to get the 'experience' everyone else requires.
    MBA, ISSA -CFT

Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Which organization? I got solid clients at 18 with my NSCA-CPT and a few powerlifting records (not that anyone ever will ever give a **** about those)
    N/A personal training is just a side job until I get get a job as an S&C coach at a University
    Depends on the Cert. NSCA I don't have to recertify until 2014 after doijng it this year. So thats 3 years
    771/645/622 Single Ply

tylerpritchard_7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tylerpritchard_7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tylerpritchard_7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tylerpritchard_7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tylerpritchard_7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tylerpritchard_7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tylerpritchard_7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tylerpritchard_7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tylerpritchard_7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tylerpritchard_7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tylerpritchard_7 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by jethro95 View Post
    Same problem with me too. I'm thinking about becoming one. But i think body shows the experience too?
    Good point. Although it won't win you clients easily, people definitely want to have a trainer with a look that is appealing or physically fit. I haven't seen any trainers who looked like they were sedentary or out of shape. But people want different things so for example, a trainer who power lifts may look "fat" to a client who wants a rock hard six pack. So you shouldn't judge a trainer based on looks.
    I love lifting plates and bars.
    YouTube - TheTylerPritchard

1st meet - 630kg @ 103 raw (June 8th, 2013)
    2nd meet goals 675 @ 105 (Sept 2013)

100% Natural Bodybuilder jethro95's Avatar
    jethro95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jethro95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jethro95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by tylerpritchard_7 View Post
    Good point. Although it won't win you clients easily, people definitely want to have a trainer with a look that is appealing or physically fit. I haven't seen any trainers who looked like they were sedentary or out of shape. But people want different things so for example, a trainer who power lifts may look "fat" to a client who wants a rock hard six pack. So you shouldn't judge a trainer based on looks.
    yeah agree.