phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Metabolism Question

Although I know that metabolism doesn't slow down if you don't eat for 6 hours, I was curious if it could be affected in the longterm.

like if i were to eat, say, 1,000 calories below my BMR every day for 2 weeks, would my bodies metabolism be noticably affected by it?
    Newcomer to the IIFYM Crew and loving it

germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by phillycheese92 View Post
    Although I know that metabolism doesn't slow down if you don't eat for 6 hours, I was curious if it could be affected in the longterm.

like if i were to eat, say, 1,000 calories below my BMR every day for 2 weeks, would my bodies metabolism be noticably affected by it?
    1000 below BMR? not evn main? yes i would say tht would have an affect, i dnt know wat exactly coz havent read studies etc but im sure some more knowledgeable ppl will be able to expand, not to mention muscle atrophy, being very tired and very hungry

IFBB Amateur, M. Physique ArchangelEST's Avatar
    ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sure your metabolism would be affected. After all you would be losing bodyweight, which would also consist of a good deal of muscle mass being lost at such massive deficit.
    Owner of:

www.Aspartame-Research.com
    www.MayfieldFitness.net

Author of:

Flexible Dieting Handbook: How To Lose Weight by Eating What You Want - an Amazon Bestseller

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn. "

― Alvin Toffler

ForgeFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) ForgeFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) ForgeFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) ForgeFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) ForgeFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) ForgeFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) ForgeFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) ForgeFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) ForgeFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) ForgeFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) ForgeFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    There was one study which showed an increase in metabolism by about 3-10 percent after 48 hours, and for fasting the metabolism doesn't drop until around 60 hours and even then its 8% lower. Check out yer man Martin on his leangains site, he throws up a lot of research albeit none are on athletes so take care when interpreting the results.

As for just working with a calorie deficit, not too sure how that would affect the metabolism, try a quick check in google scholar or pubmed
    My latest blog: http://forge-fitness.blogspot.com/
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/ForgeFitnessIre

Which Creatine: The online creatine source authority! http://www.which-creatine.com

JHarden is just really nice. (+1000) JHarden is just really nice. (+1000) JHarden is just really nice. (+1000) JHarden is just really nice. (+1000) JHarden is just really nice. (+1000) JHarden is just really nice. (+1000) JHarden is just really nice. (+1000) JHarden is just really nice. (+1000) JHarden is just really nice. (+1000) JHarden is just really nice. (+1000) JHarden is just really nice. (+1000)
    Just to be sure of what you're asking...Do you want to eat 1000 below your BMR or your TDEE?
    Like success, failure is many things to many people. With a positive mental attitude, failure is a learning experience, a rung on the ladder, a plateau at which to get your thoughts in order and prepare to try again. - W. Clement Stone

BTK: It's Mind Over Matter

ForgeFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) ForgeFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) ForgeFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) ForgeFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) ForgeFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) ForgeFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) ForgeFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) ForgeFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) ForgeFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) ForgeFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) ForgeFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Also found some stuff on calorie deficits, google "Effects of a very-low-calorie diet and physical-training regimens on body composition and resting metabolic rate in obese females" albeit its on females but still interesting results, but the main one which caught my eye was

Three weeks of caloric restriction alters protein metabolism in normal-weight, young men

"In conclusion, 3 wk of caloric restriction reduced leucine flux and Rox during exercise in normal-weight young men. However, despite negative nitrogen balance and loss of lean mass, whole body exercise performance was well maintained in response to Calorie Restriction. "
    My latest blog: http://forge-fitness.blogspot.com/
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/ForgeFitnessIre

Which Creatine: The online creatine source authority! http://www.which-creatine.com

MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by phillycheese92 View Post
    That would be about 500 calories per day. Metabolism will be the last of your worries. You'll be looking at loss of muscle, vitamin deficiency, weakening of the immune system, anemia, beriberi, pellagra, scurvy, diarrhea, skin rashes, edema, irritability, lethargy, impulsivity...oh yea and ultimately heart failure.

phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by MikeK46 View Post
    That would be about 500 calories per day. Metabolism will be the last of your worries. You'll be looking at loss of muscle, vitamin deficiency, weakening of the immune system, anemia, beriberi, pellagra, scurvy, diarrhea, skin rashes, edema, irritability, lethargy, impulsivity...oh yea and ultimately heart failure.
    Yeah I wasn't proposing this as something I am planning on doing, I was just wondering because I hear so much stuff about metabolism in relation to short term meal timing, but I haven't heard much about how it is affected in the long term
    Newcomer to the IIFYM Crew and loving it