Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User beonlyyourself_old's Avatar
    beonlyyourself_old has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beonlyyourself_old has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beonlyyourself_old has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beonlyyourself_old has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beonlyyourself_old has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beonlyyourself_old has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beonlyyourself_old has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beonlyyourself_old has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beonlyyourself_old has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beonlyyourself_old has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beonlyyourself_old has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Finally Signed Up - Bulk or Cut ? Not a Newbie

Hey.

Ok, ive been on BB.com for around 3 months now, i have only decided to sign up today as i think im on a good benchmark of knowing what its all about in regards to nutrition, training. Please dont let that make you think im been big headed, i just mean ive read lots of threads/stickies/arguments among your selfs and took all the opinions on board which most people agree with. The stickies ive read are as follows..

Nutrition Section - Must Read Threads! Updated 04/24/11
    IIFYM!!
    Pre, During & Post Workout Nutrition!!
    Calculating Calories and Macronutrients!!

So.. To keep it short, i know to gain weight, you need to eat at a surplus (500 around above tdee maintenance) To loose weight.. you need to take 500 from tdee maintenance, and obviously to maintain weight you need to eat at TDEE! I see so many people asking the same questions around here. And i would of been one of them if i signed up as soon as i joined this site. But no, ive saved the beatings and read them stickies, and threads from new guys for 3 months solid while studying at uni! .... i even know a clean bulk aint nothing to do with the types of food you eat, but the level of calories you surplus with

Right.. So now ive bored you with telling you i dont want to know how to do it or what to read lol, ..I best tell you Another reason im posting on the Nutrition section is , you guys seem to know what your on about more then other areas. ( im not saying they dont, i just like the way you go about helping people )

I just need all your great advice on my situation where im at today. I cant post pics yet as im new here, but there on my profile ( taken today )

My goal is to have a lean physique, .. Abit like this guy ( but a more noticeable set of abs ) ht tp://losefatatwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/lean-body.jpg << close gap up

I dont want to be massive with ***** loads of muscle, i just want a good body physique with a low body fat.

So after all that.. my question is ( from my pictures today, should i BULK or should i CUT first? Then work on my goal of just getting lean. NOT massive?

my stats are this, i think most of you guys would say im skinnyfat..just near to fat lol, im sick of it to! always been fat, i did get in good shape ones and lost a good amount of it, but went back to been an idiot and enjoying life everyday.. not just one day a week lol

ME = 5.6ft .. 140lbs .. low i know, most people would say bulk. but just look at the photos before you come out with ... JUST BULK LOL YOUR ONLY 140, And please remember, i dont want to get massive. i just want a nice lean physique with a nice amount of muscle mass. I actually look upto most of you around here from your transformations and where you have come from, i know it dont happen overnight. id like to think in around a years time i can come back here, and be answering a post like this to someone like me

ps. i dont want this post to make you think im ignorant, im just been my self and forward lol. i see loads of newbies coming along here trying to find out what to do, but they just get blasted with read this read this read this... ive read that lol, but not sure what i should in regards to cutting or bulking.
    Jack.

psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Judging by your avi you have little lbm and I'd advise a bulk
    PL Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154662503

BTK!

First Meet 8/25/13 281/264/418 963 @198

5/24/14 352.5/286/462.5 1101 @242

krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Maybe a recomp is in order. You don't have much muscle but your belly is good size. (Might be bloated in your avi, i dunno). Its a personal thing. If you bulk, you'll be adding more fat to your body. If you cut, you have nothing to really cut into.
    www.grazethesky.com

beonlyyourself_old has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beonlyyourself_old has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beonlyyourself_old has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beonlyyourself_old has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beonlyyourself_old has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beonlyyourself_old has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beonlyyourself_old has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beonlyyourself_old has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beonlyyourself_old has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beonlyyourself_old has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beonlyyourself_old has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by krete77 View Post
    Maybe a recomp is in order. You don't have much muscle but your belly is good size. (Might be bloated in your avi, i dunno). Its a personal thing. If you bulk, you'll be adding more fat to your body. If you cut, you have nothing to really cut into.
    Il be honest, im getting really sick of my fat around the mid section and lower back now, confident is just shot. Just want some opinions because i dont want to be the guy who does slim down and look real weak lol. its hard, cause every time im going in the gym, im hitting personal bests on weights.. today i lifted 5-8kg then i usually do, so my stright is going up!

would you do a cut if you where in my position mate?

adamrochester is a name known to all. (+5000) adamrochester is a name known to all. (+5000) adamrochester is a name known to all. (+5000) adamrochester is a name known to all. (+5000) adamrochester is a name known to all. (+5000) adamrochester is a name known to all. (+5000) adamrochester is a name known to all. (+5000) adamrochester is a name known to all. (+5000) adamrochester is a name known to all. (+5000) adamrochester is a name known to all. (+5000) adamrochester is a name known to all. (+5000)
    post a pic on here mate we will tell you

and being a newby you cna gain lean mass and lose body fat so maybe eat at maintenance calories
    MUTANT ATHLETE

STRONGLIFTWEAR ATHLETE

instagram-- http://instagram.com/adamroch18

dimmupelto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dimmupelto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dimmupelto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dimmupelto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dimmupelto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dimmupelto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dimmupelto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dimmupelto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dimmupelto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dimmupelto is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dimmupelto is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I gotta say I looked almost exactly like you do when I started, and I immediately started bulking and haven't looked back since. Did a quick and brutal cut ending about a month ago but I'm back on it.
    04-09 usmc
    07-08 Operation Iraqi Freedom
    MWSB 372

For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat 4.

Gnadenlos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gnadenlos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gnadenlos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gnadenlos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gnadenlos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gnadenlos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gnadenlos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gnadenlos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gnadenlos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gnadenlos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gnadenlos will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by beonlyyourself View Post
    Il be honest, im getting really sick of my fat around the mid section and lower back now, confident is just shot. Just want some opinions because i dont want to be the guy who does slim down and look real weak lol. its hard, cause every time im going in the gym, im hitting personal bests on weights.. today i lifted 5-8kg then i usually do, so my stright is going up!

would you do a cut if you where in my position mate?
    In your position, I would look to get strong first and then cut. You honestly look weak as **** in that picture. Lifting heavy doesn't instantaneously make you a huge roided-out mother****er. Do a few months of bulking with a very basic routine centered around squats, bench, deads, press, chins, rows, and cleans/snatch if you know how to do them. Don't waste your time with assistance movements at this stage of your training. Just do three exercises per workout with increasing weights each workout for short sets at heavy load. Then in three or four months see if you want to cut.

With your body size and shape, when you're fit you're going to look more like that ideal body pic you posted and a lot less like Mariusz, no matter what the **** you do, so do it right.
    "What is happiness? The feeling that power is increasing--that resistance is being overcome."
    - Nietzsche

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    You weigh 140. You don't have anythng to 'cut' to. How do you think you'd look at 125 pounds?

Build 25-30 pounds of muscle, and then start thinking about a 'cut.'
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

BIG Thanks for all the advice guys.

So, from this. I think i should bulk.. From up the thread to lower, im wondering how to go about doing my bulk then, Should i keep it clean around 2-300 calories over Maintenance, or shoot for 500 over? I dont really want to get mega fat even with me gaining muscle. I hate the " fat look " my confident is shot to **** when i look in the mirror.

My training is like this

Chest-Bicep-Abs
    Legs-Sholders-Traps-Calves
    Back-Tricep-Abs

I go for about 6-10 reps .. failing at around 8-10. Also yeh, id compound lifts when doing back and legs, squats,deadlifts,rows.

Anyone think i should change my workout routine?

Thanks

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    You weigh 140. You don't have anythng to 'cut' to. How do you think you'd look at 125 pounds?

my belly, and lower back ? i just want to emphasize again, i dont want a mega body building type body, i just want a lean good quality built body with some nice lean muscle.

dizzzane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizzzane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizzzane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizzzane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizzzane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizzzane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizzzane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizzzane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizzzane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizzzane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizzzane has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    my belly, and lower back ? i just want to emphasize again, i dont want a mega body building type body, i just want a lean good quality built body with some nice lean muscle.
    Good lord fella... you aren't going to blow up into a body builder after a week of heavy lifting and a calorie surplus. It would likely take you years to achieve such a body so please stop saying that. You don't have much muscle so I advise you obtain some before you try and "lean" up.

Originally Posted by dizzzane View Post
    Good lord fella... you aren't going to blow up into a body builder after a week of heavy lifting and a calorie surplus. It would likely take you years to achieve such a body so please stop saying that. You don't have much muscle so I advise you obtain some before you try and "lean" up.
    O no, not worried about that lol.. just dont want to end up eating a surplus, go to the mirror, and get put of my a fat gain when all in all i just want to get rid of my fat and have a muscle physique lol

Cant really put it any other way, i just cant explain it in a better way then that! lol

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    You can't chase two rabbits at the same time. If you try to do that, you wind up not catching either. And as far as winding up looking like a 'mega-bodybuilder-type,' don't worry; it's not that easy to do.

Get on a good beginner bodybuilding program based around the compound lifts, eat at about a 500 calorie surplus, work your butt off, and build some muscle. As your upper body and legs begin to fill out, as long as you don't throw common sense out the window (in regards to eating too much), you'll gradually get more porportional.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

You can't chase two rabbits at the same time. If you try to do that, you wind up not catching either. And as far as winding up looking like a 'mega-bodybuilder-type,' don't worry; it's not that easy to do.

Get on a good beginner bodybuilding program based around the compound lifts, eat at about a 500 calorie surplus, work your butt off, and build some muscle. As your upper body and legs begin to fill out, as long as you don't throw common sense out the window (in regards to eating too much), you'll gradually get more porportional.
    Thanks mate. I suppose your right, i guess i can just bulk all over the cold months and not worry about gaining that bit of fat at a good surplus.

Maybe im been a bit of a girl scared to gain a bit more fat! il look better filled out thou with some muscle!

How long do you guys carry a bulk out for before doing a cut?

Cheers!!

Stay Strong all year long alex2363's Avatar
    alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i would cut, it looks like a little fat at mid section.
    IIFYM crews ....I Reps back.
    Traditional Wet Shave Crew / I can't hardly wait for tomorrow to come so I can lift then Wet Shave again.

Thanks for putting the photos up mate, took me ages to try find out how its done!

Cut/Bulk ? Now im getting 2 answers haha

Xfaxtor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xfaxtor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xfaxtor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xfaxtor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xfaxtor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xfaxtor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xfaxtor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xfaxtor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xfaxtor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xfaxtor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xfaxtor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thanks for putting the photos up mate, took me ages to try find out how its done!

Cut/Bulk ? Now im getting 2 answers haha
    No, you are getting about ten answers. And only one of them was to cut. Bulk up, youll look sick if you a significant amount of fat. Also, you are 19 ffs take advantage of your testo and lift some weights, if you do it right, your abercombie and fitch model bodytype is not that far away.

Originally Posted by Xfaxtor View Post
    No, you are getting about ten answers. And only one of them was to cut. Bulk up, youll look sick if you a significant amount of fat. Also, you are 19 ffs take advantage of your testo and lift some weights, if you do it right, your abercombie and fitch model bodytype is not that far away.

sorry mate.. didnt mean 2 answers like that lol

I meant asin im getting an answer to bulk and an answer to cut, tbh id rather bulk, means ill see good gains to motivate me, just want to know how much to surplus with now

cheers

Originally Posted by alex2363 View Post
    i would cut, it looks like a little fat at mid section.
    I'll ask you the same question I asked OP; cut to what?

Do you see any muscle there?
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Im not going to cut.

Wouldnt mind getting a bit of a number of around what i should surplus with? should i do a clean bulk, or just shoot higher to like 500 ?

Xfaxtor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xfaxtor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xfaxtor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xfaxtor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xfaxtor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xfaxtor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xfaxtor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xfaxtor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xfaxtor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xfaxtor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xfaxtor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Im not going to cut.

Wouldnt mind getting a bit of a number of around what i should surplus with? should i do a clean bulk, or just shoot higher to like 500 ?
    Id shoot for a mild surplus, 250-300 ish. In fact, if your have a proper training routine (ie not a whole day dedicated to arms and the like) you might not add any fat at all..

Id shoot for a mild surplus, 250-300 ish. In fact, if your have a proper training routine (ie not a whole day dedicated to arms and the like) you might not add any fat at all..
    Thankyou mate! Much appreciated!

My training is like this

Chest-Bicep-Abs
    Back-Tricep-Abs

I go for about 6-10 reps .. failing at around 8-10. Also yeh, id compound lifts when doing back and legs, squats,deadlifts,rows.

My training is like this

Chest-Bicep-Abs
    Back-Tricep-Abs

I get the idea you're unsure about a routine that's appropriate for you. Look no further than this one. It's all laid out, uses all the best exercises, has progression built right in, and takes all the guesswork out of training:
    *Routine: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

I get the idea you're unsure about a routine that's appropriate for you. Look no further than this one. It's all laid out, uses all the best exercises, has progression built right in, and takes all the guesswork out of training:
    *Routine: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
    OP: ^ This right here answers all your questions. You don't need to look for further suggestions. Get your diet on point. Eat a mini surplus. Find a good training program. Stick with it. Lift heavy. Come back in 6 months and you'll laugh at this post.

edit; Just noticed 80% of those posts are from Ironwill. I'd be willing to be he knows what he's talking about. My .02
    www.grazethesky.com

OP: ^ This right here answers all your questions. You don't need to look for further suggestions. Get your diet on point. Eat a mini surplus. Find a good training program. Stick with it. Lift heavy. Come back in 6 months and you'll laugh at this post.

edit; Just noticed 80% of those posts are from Ironwill. I'd be willing to be he knows what he's talking about. My .02

Thanks a lot guys, appreciate all your feedback!

Going to do whats been pointed out and go around 250-300 calories above Maintenance and see how i get on for a month, il report back if i see any changes

Do you guys have a time period for a bulk? i dont want to carry it out to short.. but also dont want to go to far in where i might end up taking more time cutting bf.

cheers!

★Reaching For The Stars★ tominho7's Avatar
    tominho7 is just really nice. (+1000) tominho7 is just really nice. (+1000) tominho7 is just really nice. (+1000) tominho7 is just really nice. (+1000) tominho7 is just really nice. (+1000) tominho7 is just really nice. (+1000) tominho7 is just really nice. (+1000) tominho7 is just really nice. (+1000) tominho7 is just really nice. (+1000) tominho7 is just really nice. (+1000) tominho7 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Bulk for more than a month, probably shoot for a minimum of 4 months and i suggest you start of with one of the programs in the following link to build a good foundation.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...inner_Programs
    Squatted Everyday For 100 Days In A Row

Thread for proof: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172233523

adamrochester is a name known to all. (+5000) adamrochester is a name known to all. (+5000) adamrochester is a name known to all. (+5000) adamrochester is a name known to all. (+5000) adamrochester is a name known to all. (+5000) adamrochester is a name known to all. (+5000) adamrochester is a name known to all. (+5000) adamrochester is a name known to all. (+5000) adamrochester is a name known to all. (+5000) adamrochester is a name known to all. (+5000) adamrochester is a name known to all. (+5000)
    bulk 4-16 weeks probly more depends on how your feeling with your bf
    MUTANT ATHLETE

STRONGLIFTWEAR ATHLETE

instagram-- http://instagram.com/adamroch18

Originally Posted by adamrochester View Post
    bulk 4-16 weeks probly more depends on how your feeling with your bf
    Is 1 to 4 months to short for a bulk? I have no knowledge on it, so just want to get more advice on time period

cheers

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Is 1 to 4 months to short for a bulk? I have no knowledge on it, so just want to get more advice on time period

cheers
    IMO you should bulk for 6 months + as you're just starting out. 1 month would be stupid

Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    IMO you should bulk for 6 months + as you're just starting out. 1 month would be stupid
    Thank you mate! Will post some photos on around 4 months time!!