Scot Mendelson is a name known to all. (+5000) Scot Mendelson is a name known to all. (+5000) Scot Mendelson is a name known to all. (+5000) Scot Mendelson is a name known to all. (+5000) Scot Mendelson is a name known to all. (+5000) Scot Mendelson is a name known to all. (+5000) Scot Mendelson is a name known to all. (+5000) Scot Mendelson is a name known to all. (+5000) Scot Mendelson is a name known to all. (+5000) Scot Mendelson is a name known to all. (+5000) Scot Mendelson is a name known to all. (+5000)

Scot Mendelsons Bench Routine From Himself

I am new to BodySpace as of a couple days ago. I am the world record holder in the raw bench press and created an account to share some of my insight and wisdom that I have obtained throughout a lifetime as an avid bench presser. To start off, when you are going heavy more sets are not always better. I train the bench press twice a week and keep every work set extremely heavy.

To start off , proper supplementation is crucial and gives me substantial strength gains and enhances my recovery. I have recently been using NLA Performance supplements (Not on the market until January 1, 2012) and have been making some serious strength gains. My recovery is unlike ever before. They have hooked me up with all of their stacks and supplements and i've been drinking them like water.

Supplement Stack:
    -2 Scoops NLA Performance 100% Whey Protein Powder when i wake up, one serving of HIGH-T, and their new vitamin pack FRATPACK which has a bunch of vitamins, aminos, and various health pills

Preworkout: One serving HIGH-T, 1 Scoop PROTEIN, 1 scoop intra-fuel-volumizer, 3 scoops of SUPP-D (gets me beyond fired up)

During workout (3 hours)
    -Every hour 1 scoop protein, 1 scoop intra-fuel volumizer

Post workout: 2 scoops protein, 1 serving high t

My sets every workout range from singles to reps of 5, depending how I feel on that day. I don't pre-determine cycles of rep ranges, I have been in this sport for a long time and listen to my body. When I am feeling like I can go heavier, I try. To build strength and lock in my technique, my team and I generally work on a 3 board press (To any lifters that aren't familiar with powerlifting this is 3 2x4's stacked on eachother).

Lets jump to my routine:

Due to a severe ankle injury, I can no longer bench and deadlift. I only lift twice a week for 3 hour sessions, both are bench days. My team trains every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 9pm-12am. We take anywhere between 15-20 minutes rest in between work sets. Many people believe that you only need 5 minutes in between heavy sets to fully recover. I notice a substantial increase in strength and recovery after giving it 15-20 minutes so I can really crank out that next heavy set with everything I've got.

Monday: Bench
    Flat Bench Press:

Warmup sets: RAW (no suit)
    135x5
    225x5
    315x5
    405x5 on the 3 board press

After my warmup sets, I put on my bench suit and go immediately for my heavy worksets, usually on the 3 board. I will usually go for reps of 3, 4, or 5 and don't leave anything in the tank per set. I stop barely 1 rep short of failure each set.

Work sets:
    6 sets of reps of 3, 4, or 5 on the boards

Assistance Work:
    3x10 Contracting Tricep extensions (shoulders pinched back, arms tucked tight, and bring it up 90 degrees then press down and contract at the bottom)
    3x10 of Hammer Curls (bring weight to chin then as you are contracting tip it towards your chin to activate all of the muscles in the bicep head and forearms)

Wednesday:
    Work sets and warmups are the same as Monday depending on how I feel, I might throw in a single all the way down.

Assistance work:
    EZ Curl 3x10
    Lat Pulldowns 3x10

Tips: I will be coming out shortly with a bench press instructional video so you can master your form. In short, keep your shoulder blades pinched, activate your triceps throughout the whole lift (cheating and bouncing actually make you lose a lot of strength), let your back wind up, use proper leg drive, don't let your wrists bend, and go heavy! I use chalk and wristwraps every single set, even warmups.

I just got a twitter today as well so follow me for my workouts and updates @Scot Mendelson. I will have a website up shortly where you can check out my new instructional videos as well.

Come train with my team and I at Mendelson FIT Systems 9145 Deering Ave Chatsworth, CA, 91311. We are a one stop shop offering Powerlifting, MMA training, Bodybuilding training, strength and conditioning, and general fitness. Give me a call at (818) 399-0905 if you are interested.

Eddie Debus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eddie Debus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eddie Debus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eddie Debus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eddie Debus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eddie Debus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eddie Debus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eddie Debus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eddie Debus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eddie Debus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eddie Debus is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey Scot. Cool to see you posting in here. I remember when u came and trained with us at iron island about 9 years ago when everyone was trying to crack 800. I see your sister shawna all the time still. It'd be great to get a session in with you next time I'm in your area or if your ever back in ny!

Eddie Debus
    NEW ERA FITNESS
    Contact me at edebus242@hotmail.com for information on working with me on your program and diet plan.

Scot Mendelson is a name known to all. (+5000) Scot Mendelson is a name known to all. (+5000) Scot Mendelson is a name known to all. (+5000) Scot Mendelson is a name known to all. (+5000) Scot Mendelson is a name known to all. (+5000) Scot Mendelson is a name known to all. (+5000) Scot Mendelson is a name known to all. (+5000) Scot Mendelson is a name known to all. (+5000) Scot Mendelson is a name known to all. (+5000) Scot Mendelson is a name known to all. (+5000) Scot Mendelson is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Right on brother, we most definitely will get a bench in next time i'm in your area

AZmusclefreak will become famous soon enough. (+50) AZmusclefreak will become famous soon enough. (+50) AZmusclefreak will become famous soon enough. (+50) AZmusclefreak will become famous soon enough. (+50) AZmusclefreak will become famous soon enough. (+50) AZmusclefreak will become famous soon enough. (+50) AZmusclefreak will become famous soon enough. (+50) AZmusclefreak will become famous soon enough. (+50) AZmusclefreak will become famous soon enough. (+50) AZmusclefreak will become famous soon enough. (+50) AZmusclefreak will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    wow, the legend himself. Cant wait to read your log bro. Keep postin'!

miked96 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Scott,
    You trained me around 2006 when I was stationed at 29 palms with the Marines. I came down and helped spot at an APF meet you had at your gym. I had to go back to Iraq so we stopped but I kept training. I started competing and finally hit a raw 405 and 525 in competition. Glad to see your still going strong after your injuries.
    Mike

Congratulations on the lifts Miked96, I am happy to hear about your progress. Keep it up!

Quick Blog on this week:

Saturday got ****ed over at the Vegas Open because they gave me ****ty bars that bent while I was lifting. This upset me because I hit 1080 with ease at one of my bench days last week. It was a learning lesson that I need to bring my own bar from here on out. Anyways, Monday I was still not recovered but was more driven then ever and crushed 1080 no problem. I have been resting all week and feel pretty recovered for a HUGE bench day tomorrow. I have been eating like a beast and slamming down supplements to up my strength. I will keep you guys posted where I stand. Also if any of you have a twitter, add me, I just started and will be uploading pictures and status daily. Best of luck to you guys