Registered User BulkingGorrilla's Avatar
    BulkingGorrilla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BulkingGorrilla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BulkingGorrilla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BulkingGorrilla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BulkingGorrilla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BulkingGorrilla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BulkingGorrilla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BulkingGorrilla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BulkingGorrilla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BulkingGorrilla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BulkingGorrilla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

How to progress in deadlift, 1 year lifter confused to hell

Hey guys i have been bodybuilding for a little over a year, seriously. And i am extremely confused on how to progress on my deadlifts. Right now i can deadlift 425lbs for 2 reps on my final set. The only thing i don't understand is when should i try to increase the weight, i have been doing a ton of video analysis, and have been really watching how straight my back is. As of right now their is a little bit of an arch(its my final set thats to be expected). but i don't want to increase my weight to quickly or else i think i will injure, myself.

So what do you guys think, do you guys think maybe i should stick with 425lbs for a month or two and make sure my back is 100 percent straight. Or maybe should i focus on getting more than 2 reps. Maybe once i get 4 reps i move up in weight

I am really concerned. Because i don't want to put too much on the rack and then injure myself?

So how should i progress, more weight, more reps, stick with weight for few months or what. I honestly have no idea.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    FYI, arch = good.
    Rounding = bad.

My guess is you have a little bit of rounding.

How you progress is entirely up to you. I personally prefer lower rep sets. Perhaps you can try to get 2 sets of doubles. When you nail all 4 reps, increase weight by 5lbs and start over. You can use higher rep sets as well. 4 reps as you said. Some people go by singles. OR ramp up to one heavy single and constantly try to add more weight.

That is something you'll need to figure out what you're comfortable with. If you want to be given guidance for the entire thing, then I'd suggest finding a program geared to DLs. Ortmayer (sp?) stands out to me as a well known and oft lauded DL program. It is tough for people but apparently very very good at improving the DL. Once you punch in your DL, it lays everything out for you, for your DL, for the next 10 weeks (IIRC).
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

jarijoi88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jarijoi88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jarijoi88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jarijoi88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jarijoi88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jarijoi88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jarijoi88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jarijoi88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jarijoi88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jarijoi88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    simply

BulkingGorrilla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BulkingGorrilla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BulkingGorrilla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BulkingGorrilla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BulkingGorrilla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BulkingGorrilla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BulkingGorrilla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BulkingGorrilla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BulkingGorrilla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BulkingGorrilla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BulkingGorrilla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post
    FYI, arch = good.
    Rounding = bad.

My guess is you have a little bit of rounding.

How you progress is entirely up to you. I personally prefer lower rep sets. Perhaps you can try to get 2 sets of doubles. When you nail all 4 reps, increase weight by 5lbs and start over. You can use higher rep sets as well. 4 reps as you said. Some people go by singles. OR ramp up to one heavy single and constantly try to add more weight.

That is something you'll need to figure out what you're comfortable with. If you want to be given guidance for the entire thing, then I'd suggest finding a program geared to DLs. Ortmayer (sp?) stands out to me as a well known and oft lauded DL program. It is tough for people but apparently very very good at improving the DL. Once you punch in your DL, it lays everything out for you, for your DL, for the next 10 weeks (IIRC).
    thx bro

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    The Ortmayer program is a good one, and if you're pulling 425 now, I'd say you're at a good enough level of strength to use it. Keep in mind, however, that it's not all about your top set and how much you can pull (unless you're competing). A good way to build overall strength is to increase your overall workload capacity. For example, a typical Ortmayer week would have you pull:

70% x 4
    70% x 4
    70% x 4
    70% x 4
    80% x 2
    90% x 2
    70% x as many as you can.

IMO, all that 70% work is where the real money is at. So in your case you might simply try to get more sets and/or reps (volume) out of your 70% range. As you build your strength and workload ability in that range, a higher 1RM should occur as a result.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

Originally Posted by VoxExMachina View Post
    The Ortmayer program is a good one, and if you're pulling 425 now, I'd say you're at a good enough level of strength to use it. Keep in mind, however, that it's not all about your top set and how much you can pull (unless you're competing). A good way to build overall strength is to increase your overall workload capacity. For example, a typical Ortmayer week would have you pull:

70% x 4
    70% x 4
    70% x 4
    70% x 4
    80% x 2
    90% x 2
    70% x as many as you can.

IMO, all that 70% work is where the real money is at. So in your case you might simply try to get more sets and/or reps (volume) out of your 70% range. As you build your strength and workload ability in that range, a higher 1RM should occur as a result.
    Thx, ya all definitely have to have a look at that program. As for competting in powerlifting, i am 100 percent bodybuilder, i just like training like those old school bodybuilders, lol