Spencar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

New to bodybuilding, opinions on this routine?

Alright so I am fairly new, but I have read a nice bit of information on these forums, some saying to isolate muscle groups, and some just saying stick to power exercises.

so would you be able to do one week isolation, then the second week power exercises? or should beginners just stick to power exercises until familiar of how everything works in their body.
    For example
    Week 1 isolation
    monday: biceps and triceps (arms)
    tuesday: chest
    wednesday: break
    thursday: shoulders
    friday: back
    Week 2 powerlifting:
    monday:3x5 squat, 3x5 bench press, 1x5 deadlift (workout a)
    tuesday:break
    wednesday:3x5 squat, 3x5 military press, 3x5 pendlay rows (workout b)
    thursday:breaks
    friday:3x5 squat, 3x5 bench press, 1x5 deadlift (workout a)

The powerlifting week is stolen from someones stickied tread, but I'm sure nobody would mind as it is stickied to help beginners.
    Also it says to mix up a and b every powerlifting week, so instead of workout a being monday and friday, workout b is, and then you would do workout a on wednesdays.

My goal is to bulk up and increase strength, as I'm competing in some competitive wrestling tournaments this year in high school.

My cardio is 2 hours of wrestling , monday wednesday and thursday, and going for a run on the weekends.
    Last edited by Spencar; 12-04-2011 at 11:53 AM.

HulkSmash36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HulkSmash36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HulkSmash36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HulkSmash36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HulkSmash36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HulkSmash36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HulkSmash36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HulkSmash36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HulkSmash36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HulkSmash36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HulkSmash36 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Spencar View Post
    Alright so I am fairly new, but I have read a nice bit of information on these forums, some saying to isolate muscle groups, and some just saying stick to power exercises.

so would you be able to do one week isolation, then the second week power exercises? or should beginners just stick to power exercises until familiar of how everything works in their body.
    For example
    Week 1 isolation
    monday: biceps and triceps (arms)
    tuesday: chest
    wednesday: break
    thursday: shoulders
    friday: back
    Week 2 powerlifting:
    monday:3x5 squat, 3x5 bench press, 1x5 deadlift (workout a)
    tuesday:break
    wednesday:3x5 squat, 3x5 military press, 3x5 pendlay rows (workout b)
    thursday:breaks
    friday:3x5 squat, 3x5 bench press, 1x5 deadlift (workout a)

The powerlifting week is stolen from someones stickied tread, but I'm sure nobody would mind as it is stickied to help beginners.
    Also it says to mix up a and b every powerlifting week, so instead of workout a being monday and friday, workout b is, and then you would do workout a on wednesdays.

My goal is to bulk up and increase strength, as I'm competing in some competitive wrestling tournaments this year in high school.

My cardio is 2 hours of wrestling , monday wednesday and thursday, and going for a run on the weekends.
    Start simple. Check out SS or Madcows.

Lucharilla0311 is just really nice. (+1000) Lucharilla0311 is just really nice. (+1000) Lucharilla0311 is just really nice. (+1000) Lucharilla0311 is just really nice. (+1000) Lucharilla0311 is just really nice. (+1000) Lucharilla0311 is just really nice. (+1000) Lucharilla0311 is just really nice. (+1000) Lucharilla0311 is just really nice. (+1000) Lucharilla0311 is just really nice. (+1000) Lucharilla0311 is just really nice. (+1000) Lucharilla0311 is just really nice. (+1000)
    You should have one goal - To get stronger. Believe me when I say that for you - Strength training IS hypertrophy training in that as you continue adding weight to the bar while taking in sufficient calories you WILL get bigger. You need to focus on EXERCISES not body parts. COMPOUNDS not isolation exercises. You have beginner strength, and what comes along with that is the ability to recover rapidly from workout to workout. That means you should NOT be worried about hitting one muscle per week. That's reserved for advanced trainees who have already paid their dues.

What that paragraph should indicate is that high volume split routines are out. Full body SIMPLE programming is in. You're a prime candidate for something like starting strength where you utilize your time learning the lifts as you progress in strength.

Follow the sticky up top and follow anything written by Rippetoe. He specializes in beginners like yourself.

Good luck!
    Visit my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfADMjm2XtMj-umgWSioT2Q

Your Ambition OurNutition TeamDymatize's Avatar
    TeamDymatize has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TeamDymatize has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TeamDymatize has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TeamDymatize has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TeamDymatize has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TeamDymatize has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TeamDymatize has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TeamDymatize has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TeamDymatize has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TeamDymatize has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TeamDymatize has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by HulkSmash36 View Post
    Start simple. Check out SS or Madcows.
    This
    Dymatize Nutrition
    http://www.dymatize.com/
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/dym/dym.htm

Okay so I looked at the rippetoes workout, and it doesn't really have a lot of working out involved. 4 different compound exercises with 3 sets each. Would I be able to fit more in or would I be overtraining?
    Last edited by Spencar; 12-04-2011 at 05:10 PM.

JMadden is just really nice. (+1000) JMadden is just really nice. (+1000) JMadden is just really nice. (+1000) JMadden is just really nice. (+1000) JMadden is just really nice. (+1000) JMadden is just really nice. (+1000) JMadden is just really nice. (+1000) JMadden is just really nice. (+1000) JMadden is just really nice. (+1000) JMadden is just really nice. (+1000) JMadden is just really nice. (+1000)
    Okay so I looked at the rippetoes workout, and it doesn't really have a lot of working out involved. 4 different compound exercises with 3 sets each. Would I be able to fit more in or would I be overtraining?
    It was designed for someone like you...it works. There are assistance excercises if you must (pullups and dips)...learn the lifts, keep adding weight. This is the easiest question to answer...its plenty of volume for the frequency...

Originally Posted by JMadden View Post
    It was designed for someone like you...it works. There are assistance excercises if you must (pullups and dips)...learn the lifts, keep adding weight. This is the easiest question to answer...its plenty of volume for the frequency...
    yea it says after a couple of weeks of this exercise you can add "accessories", and since I been really working out for 4 months prior I think I can add some chin ups and dips right away without much complications.

musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    since I been really working out for 4 months prior I think I can add some chin ups and dips right away without much complications.
    Beginner mistake. Try running the program a few months without changing anything and see how you adjust to it first. then, if based on the results you feel you need to add stuff in, add one thing at a time. If you start to stall, you know what did it.

Originally Posted by musikguy72 View Post
    Beginner mistake. Try running the program a few months without changing anything and see how you adjust to it first. then, if based on the results you feel you need to add stuff in, add one thing at a time. If you start to stall, you know what did it.
    Ahhh, I see. I was on my last set on bench today, using this routine with only added chins and my rotator cuff in my left shoulder started getting sharp pains, I knew I was done working out for the day and the next right there and then. I will be doing 1 chin set next time, and I will warm up the rotator cuff as I forgot to and this was a costly mistake, hopefully its good to go Wednesday seeing as I don't notice any pain until I lift my arm and it goes above the 90 degree angle your side and arm make.

henhuynh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) henhuynh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) henhuynh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) henhuynh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) henhuynh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) henhuynh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) henhuynh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) henhuynh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) henhuynh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) henhuynh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) henhuynh has a spectacular aura about. (+250)