aweiner7690 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

routine for strength maintainance and conditioning

since around april i have been running starting strength and have seen great gains. however ive begun to stall repeatedly on most lifts besides squat and dl. so as the new year comes around i am looking to switch up my routine. im looking for something that i can either maintain my strength or still improve it a little while allowing for more conditioning. from my limited knowledge i was thinking it would involve more 3x10 rather than 5x5 and less rest in between sets. would it be a good idea to just do the same lifts as starting strength just with a 3x10 scheme?

in short im just trying to lose fat and either maintain or still improve my strength will working on conditioning, both muscular and cardiovascular (which will most likely be just a lot more running).

thanks in advance

ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000) ManWithCurls is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by aweiner7690 View Post
    since around april i have been running starting strength and have seen great gains. however ive begun to stall repeatedly on most lifts besides squat and dl. so as the new year comes around i am looking to switch up my routine. im looking for something that i can either maintain my strength or still improve it a little while allowing for more conditioning. from my limited knowledge i was thinking it would involve more 3x10 rather than 5x5 and less rest in between sets. would it be a good idea to just do the same lifts as starting strength just with a 3x10 scheme?

in short im just trying to lose fat and either maintain or still improve my strength will working on conditioning, both muscular and cardiovascular (which will most likely be just a lot more running).

thanks in advance
    Don't tweak strength routines. Starting Strength is a solid routine that will yield gains if you follow it as prescribed.

If you want to have more higher rep protocols while still emphasizing strength gains, I have designed a strength program that takes care of this:

http://www.manlycurls.com/2011/07/th...ength-program/

Feel free to ask any questions if you decide to go ahead with this program.

All the best.

Lucharilla0311 is just really nice. (+1000) Lucharilla0311 is just really nice. (+1000) Lucharilla0311 is just really nice. (+1000) Lucharilla0311 is just really nice. (+1000) Lucharilla0311 is just really nice. (+1000) Lucharilla0311 is just really nice. (+1000) Lucharilla0311 is just really nice. (+1000) Lucharilla0311 is just really nice. (+1000) Lucharilla0311 is just really nice. (+1000) Lucharilla0311 is just really nice. (+1000) Lucharilla0311 is just really nice. (+1000)
    You do not need to go on a higher rep protocol or anything else. You need SIMPLE adjustments to your plan. It's not complicated. Here's some things I do for my clients. Tell me this doesn't shift emphasis towards conditioning:

1) Approach warm-ups differently - I have my guys start doing a circuit warm-up w/ the speed rope. It does NOT affect strength levels. If it does, you're weak and out of shape. Say your first work set is 250 lbs benching. For your warm-up with a conditioning focus, start with the bar x 20, light cable rows x 10, speed rope x 25-50 contacts, rest just long enough to catch your breath, do 95 x 10, ect. Built all the way up to your first work set. Extremely simple addition changing WITHOUT you jumping ship to another program.

2) Add pull-ups variations between every pressing set.

3) Antagonistic supersets for the bulk of your work - Vary your rest periods. Start with something manageable and over time start lowering the rest periods. For example, do a set of DB paused press x 10 reps, rest 30 seconds, a set of 10 reps rows, rest 60 seconds - Repeat until form breaks down. Simple is as simple does Forrest.

4) PWO - Tabata style speed rope (20 sec all out, 10 sec rest), sustained jump rope (60 on / 15 off), sled drag, prowler push, bleacher runs, hill sprints, wheelbarrow work, barbell, dumbbell, bodyweighted circuits, complexes, and so forth.

Start SIMPLE and add based on how you respond. If strength starts getting affected, back off with the conditioning. Over time, you'll find that conditioning improvements are RAPID.

Starting Strength is a good beginner program. I wouldn't use it for anyone other than beginners learning the exercises. Take a look at my program and consider all the different options I detailed in this post. I hate cookie cutter programs because it doesn't take all the individual factors into consideration. Generally, when you see a program "for the masses", it's rarely a perfect fit.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post787616203
    Visit my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfADMjm2XtMj-umgWSioT2Q