congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000)

Pin & Pipe Sound Suppression (RM-4 Rack)

I just wanted to finally post this idea to reduce the noise and protect our bars from using pin and pipe safeties for those of us lifting in our homes. I mentioned this on a previous thread, but didn't post the pics so here is the full review. I have the Rogue RM-4 power rack, which come with ridiculously large pin and pipe safeties. No one needs 3"x 3", 7 gauge, or 43" spacing for a rack, but no one needs a Porsche or Tesla either - I have neither vehicles, but I do have the RM-4 rack (priorities). Anyways, I wanted to cover the pipes with some form of light durable protection to reduce the volume from pulls or drops, protect the knurl on my barbell, and satisfy the wife factor. The RM-4 pins are 1" and pipe about 1.75" in diameter.

I wanted a cleaner solution than wrapping insulation and duck taping everything, so I went looking for a 2" rubber hose at a reasonable price to meet the 43" span of the pipe. Tractor Supply came through with their "Abbott Rubber PVC Pump Suction Hose, 2 in. ID" at a bit over $2 per foot. I purchased two 48" sections (good to have a little extra, since it is hard to cut - see white PVC spiraling through rubber hose) and went home to fortify my pipes. Unfortunately, I soon realized the hose can deform from its original circular diameter to an oval. Once you encounter an oval section, it is virtually impossible to push the hose over the pipe. I image there or ways to heat up the hose and make it malleable, but I took the lazy way out and returned to Tractor Supply. I was planning to pay for a new 48" section (only one of the two sections I purchased was deformed), but the folks at Tractor Supply were happy to exchange it for free - great store and great people. The hose comes with a curve to it which actually helps insure a snug and firm fit to the pipe. In summary, the attached pictures are the end results. This sound suppression solution should work for any pin and pipe power rack safety system, you just have to find the right hose diameter to fit your pipe and head over to your nearest Tractor Supply or farm/building supply store.

NOTE: This solution will only dampen some of the noise from a drop on your pin and pipe safeties - not eliminate it. The pipe is actually designed to bounce on the pin to absorb the kinetic energy from the dropped barbell, so the hose will only dampen the sound generated from the barbell and pipe contact and not the pipe to pin contact. A strap safety system would be the best sound suppression solution, but I am just not a fan of the adjustments necessary for the straps to work properly - simple is better for me. Just my preference and I am sure others will have their preferences. Good luck.
    Attached Images

MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by congore View Post
    ...I went looking for a 2" rubber hose at a reasonable price to meet the 43" span of the pipe.
    Great idea, thanks for posting! I have an R3 with the pin/pipe safeties and was planning on using hockey stick tape, but this could be a much cleaner method. I'll be looking into this when my rack is set up.

congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000)
    Good luck with your R3.