bentleyjazzie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bentleyjazzie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bentleyjazzie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bentleyjazzie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bentleyjazzie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bentleyjazzie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bentleyjazzie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bentleyjazzie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bentleyjazzie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bentleyjazzie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bentleyjazzie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Frank Zane Leg Blaster

Hi everyone,

Bought one of these off of Craigslist nearly brand new.
    I don't know what to think of this equipment. Seems like the range of motion is kind of strange, but I'd
    like to get other opinions from those who also own the machine. What do you guys and gals think
    of the Frank Zane Leg Blaster?

PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by bentleyjazzie View Post
    Hi everyone,

I don't know what to think of this equipment. Seems like the range of motion is kind of strange, but I'd
    like to get other opinions from those who also own the machine. What do you guys and gals think
    Seems a lot like a hack squat or one of those standing squat machines like the Powertec or Body Solid standing squat machines.

Based on a quick google & youtube search of the Frank Zane Leg Blaster, it seems fine to me. Good for what it's designed for. However I wouldn't want to use that device outside without some safeties: unless if I'm wrong and the newer versions have some safety feature, if you slip and let go, you'll be falling backward hard.

As far as a machine / hybrid between machine & free weights goes, the leg blaster seems to have its merits as being something that's fairly useful. Personally I have no desire to own one: I prefer barbell squats, and if I were to buy any sort of device, it'd be one of those units which holds the barbell for you so you can do front squats without contorting your shoulders/arms.

I certainly hope the leg blaster isn't your only piece of gym equipment in your house though!

dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bentleyjazzie View Post
    Hi everyone,

I think it is a great piece. For me it hits the quads better than barbell squats.

thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by PaulWog View Post
    However I wouldn't want to use that device outside without some safeties: unless if I'm wrong and the newer versions have some safety feature, if you slip and let go, you'll be falling backward hard.
    Holding on is the safety feature.
    "It is my own fault for replying in a smith thread." deadwoodgregg

Ordained Minister of Perpetual Consumption and all around righteous dude.

My home gym pictures: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1632857623&viewfull=1#post1632857623

My workout journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120169181

cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz
    I've always thought it was interesting, but can anyone think of a reason it would be beneficial more so than just a hip belt?
    (hip belt seems like it would be more comfortable too)
    "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

The more I workout at commercial gyms, the more I hate commercial gyms.

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by cgc View Post
    I've always thought it was interesting, but can anyone think of a reason it would be beneficial more so than just a hip belt?
    I have a hip belt and it's nice...definitely will set your quads on fire. But it's awkward to setup. You get used to it, but still...

dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by cgc View Post
    I would assume you could get a similar feel with a hip belt or safety squat bar assuming you have something to hold on to and can lean backwards a little. It is the ability to lean back that really puts the emphasis on the quads. I found it far more effective at stressing my quads than regular squats or the hack squat machine. However, after using it for a while and getting a feel for the angle that really stressed my quads, I was able to simulate the movement on my Body Masters leverage squat. The harness is actually quite comfortable.

As far as safety, you don't use near as much weight and I could go until failure (couldn't come up) and then reposition my feet under me and using a combination of my feet and arms get myself back into position to rerack the weight. I did use straps to keep my hands from slipping off the handles. Sweaty hands, a smooth polished handle and leaning backwards are not a good combination.

RL Erik 'Iwhspr Fe comes' matrix563's Avatar
    matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i think i'd prefer a standing squat machine to this. mainly cause they while not common on craigslist, can be had for a reasonable price sometimes .

thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by dumb.bell View Post
    I would assume you could get a similar feel with a hip belt or safety squat bar assuming you have something to hold on to and can lean backwards a little. It is the ability to lean back that really puts the emphasis on the quads. I found it far more effective at stressing my quads than regular squats or the hack squat machine. However, after using it for a while and getting a feel for the angle that really stressed my quads, I was able to simulate the movement on my Body Masters leverage squat. The harness is actually quite comfortable.
    I've never used the Leg Blaster. Have you ever used one of the original Hatfield safety squat bars where the shoulder harness stayed in place and the handles would fix to the cage. You'd grab the handles through the entire movement. I'd think that this would somewhat mimic that. These are ridiculously priced new IMO. He's asking $650 plus shipping. I just don't see that there's that much too this machine. I've never seen one on CL but I'd probably pay $200 max for this.
    "It is my own fault for replying in a smith thread." deadwoodgregg

Ordained Minister of Perpetual Consumption and all around righteous dude.

My home gym pictures: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1632857623&viewfull=1#post1632857623

My workout journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120169181

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by thedickus View Post
    Holding on is the safety feature.
    Priceless. A signature line for sure. I regret that I repped you recently on something else, because I surely would for this post!
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

Originally Posted by thedickus View Post
    I've never used the Leg Blaster. Have you ever used one of the original Hatfield safety squat bars where the shoulder harness stayed in place and the handles would fix to the cage. You'd grab the handles through the entire movement. I'd think that this would somewhat mimic that. These are ridiculously priced new IMO. He's asking $650 plus shipping. I just don't see that there's that much too this machine. I've never seen one on CL but I'd probably pay $200 max for this.
    I've never used the Hatfield, but yes it sounds like a similar movement.

I wouldn't pay $650 either, but picked one up a couple of years ago on craigslist for $75. At that price it was great, and it finally taught me how to exhaust the quads - previously I'd used too much lower back (I was wanting to target the quads for growth rather than just squat as much as I could).

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    Essentially the Leg blaster allows for a weighted sissy squat, old school style. You can accomplish a similar thing by adding sissy squats to the end of your workout once the quads are pretty well shot, but the blaster allows you to weight the movement so you can isolate the quads while they are still fresh.

A hip belt won't allow you to isolate the quads quite so thoroughly.

For less than a hundred I would own one of these for sure.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    There has been one on Craigslist here for a couple of months. They are asking $400.

Like Tim said, if it was $100, I would probably own it.

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #53 ▪█─────█▪
    ^^^^^^^ 6' 6" and Over Crew ^^^^^^^
    ------------- No Vax Crew ----------------

Registered User eillenalighieri's Avatar
    eillenalighieri has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've owned one for several years, it is significantly superior tom a barbell squat for leg development, the downside is that you have to use it at home, on leg day I use a gym close toi my house and either start with the leg blaster or end with it, there is no safety issue with it whatsoever unless you are retarded, slipping is out of the question, again, unless you are retarded... best money i ever spent fitness wise, great sweep on my quads, great glute development as well

Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by eillenalighieri View Post
    it is significantly superior tom a barbell squat for leg development
    Doubtful
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No 7
    ()---() York Barbell Club #7 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #13 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #9 -!!!---!!!-

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by eillenalighieri View Post
    I've owned one for several years, it is significantly superior tom a barbell squat for leg development, the downside is that you have to use it at home, on leg day I use a gym close toi my house and either start with the leg blaster or end with it, there is no safety issue with it whatsoever unless you are retarded, slipping is out of the question, again, unless you are retarded... best money i ever spent fitness wise, great sweep on my quads, great glute development as well
    Frank! Is that you???
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733