packerbacker77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Recovering Overworker

2 Years ago I was 240lbs, clueless about fitness, out of breath, and depressed. So I decided to do something about it. My meals became vegetables and grilled chicken, beer became a memory, and I started going to the gym every day. EVERY DAY. No rest, no breaks, no sick days. I'd usually follow an hour weightlifting session with an hour on the elliptical. Naturally the weight fell off in a hurry, down to 190 in about 8 months.

That's when everything stalled. For the last six months I haven't dropped a pound and my workout journal is just a series of duplicate numbers, no gains. My biggest hang up was the scale, so I started counting calories....2000/day...1500/day...1200/day...nothing.

Motivation started waning, you can only go so long with no measurable progress before you start wondering how much beer and pizza could possibly hurt your situation.

So I started reading. I joined BB.com and read every article and every sticky forum I could find that would provide some answers. It became pretty clear that I was overworking in the gym and not putting nearly enough into my body. I was already eating pretty clean (I get that may or may not matter) but now I'm counting macros and cutting the workouts down to the essentials. I'm using Jim Wendler's 531 program, 1 main lift and 2 accessory lifts a day, 2 cardio days a week, and a IIFYM approach to eating.

I'm writing this for accountability sake to myself, I appreciate the feedback but just making it public is good enough for me.

My starting TDEE is 2749, I'm going with a 20% cut to 2200.
    Protein - 205
    Carb - 137
    Fat - 92

205 lbs now and approx 25% BF. Goal is 175 lbs 10%BF

Will post first week recap tonight. So far cutting out alcohol has been rough, I'm just a social drinker...but I'm a very social person. I like to be social almost every day.