ShotClock has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShotClock has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShotClock has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShotClock has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShotClock has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShotClock has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShotClock has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShotClock has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShotClock has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShotClock has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShotClock has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Some stuff I've learned about squats/deads, pelvic tilt, and lower back pain

Ok so I figured I would post this because when I had this problem, I searched EVERYWHERE for the remedy, went to see 2 docs, got an MRI, etc and still the problem persisted. But finally, a couple weeks ago, I figured it out and I want to share my story so others can learn from it.

I've always been real careful about my form and one day, doing a set of heavy deads, I felt a sharp pain shoot from the sacral area of my back down my leg. I stopped lifting for a weak and the pain went away. Went back to deads, and again on one of my sets, I felt the pain. So, I cut deads out of my workout for the time being and decided to focus on squats. But even when I did squats, I felt the pain sometimes. I stopped squats/deads for 3 months, thinking I had to let it completely heal.

To be more specific, the pain tended to be on the left side right in my upper butt (sometimes I would feel it on the right too). At first, I thought it was just a hamstring. Over the months I rested, I could still feel the ache every now again, although very very minor. After the months were up, I tried squats again at a much, much lighter weight. I began to get sciatica, and I got real scared for my back. I went to see a doctor and he did the leg-raise test for a disc. I felt no pain. I went to see another doc who scheduled an MRI. It was negative. So, I decided to try some streching and go back to squats.

Then it happened- with very low weight, I felt the shooting pain. It wasn't as severe as the first time, but it was definitely there. But, during that workout, I learned I only felt the pain on the ascent and only when I went past parallel.

I was really discouraged at this point and I went home and searched and searched for the answer. I finally figured it out. Over the summer, I had read an article that advocated actively tilting the pelvis forward while squatting in order to prevent the posterior tilt. This was BAD advice, or at least in the context it was presented. As it happened, I had been tilting my pelvis so far forward that it was unnatural and it put strain on my upper glutes. I had alot of lordosis when I did this. I did this not only while squatting but, perceiving it to be proper posture (yes I was dumb), while standing normally as well. This is why I could still feel it even during my months off. I immeadiately began to rewire my brain to avoid the anterior tilt by contracting my glutes and keeping my pelvis neutral.

I'm now back to squatting and deadlifting and haven't had any problems since, thank God. The pain is gone. If you take only one idea away from this post, let it be this: The proper spinal alignment for squats is the NEUTRAL spinal alignment. Done correctly, this involves some contraction of the glutes. For deads, it seems like it's too difficult to keep the slight lordosis so instead focus on at least a straight back. As long as the chest stays up, it is very difficult to round the back. Last, try to keep the pelvis neutral or at most, only slightly tilted forward. While I think it's very rare for someone to tilt their pelvis far forward as much as I did, I did it to create a very strong arch and it became an example of being TOO safe to the point that it was actually causing harm.

Anyway, that's my story. If it even helps just one person, then it was worth writing it.

I also recommend the Neanderthal No More series over at t-nation because that article helped me realize my problem.
    Last edited by ShotClock; 01-16-2008 at 03:06 PM.

tekito has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good to know, certainly something I will try to remember. So much extra care is needed for those lifts, you can never be too informed.

d.best has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think this is the problem I've been having. I was having pain sitting for long periods of time and went to the doc, gotten xrays, and nothing. I'm gonna try this. Did you do any stretches or anytihing?

yourfuzzybear is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yourfuzzybear is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yourfuzzybear is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yourfuzzybear is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yourfuzzybear is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yourfuzzybear is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yourfuzzybear is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yourfuzzybear is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yourfuzzybear is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yourfuzzybear is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yourfuzzybear is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I had a very similar experience as of 3 months ago. Started to get bad sciatica the weekend after having deadlifts with bad form, except no actual rep or set triggered pain or numbness anywhere.
    The diagnosis for me was disc bulge. I
    also did the herniated disc leg raise test by my doctor and got no pain. Never ended up getting an MRI, but I went through physical therapy that was the PT for a disc herniation. Strengthened my core, stretched a **** ton (hamstrings, ITB's, hips, calves, lower back) and it's been pretty much 100% gone now. Starting to squat heavier each week now, but I'm cutting deads out for the better part of a year to be safe.

I never thought about any pelvic tilt involvement while doing lifts; I've always just focused on keeping a natural spine while maintaining thoracic extension. How can I tell if my pelvic tilt it anterior or posterior? I'm a little confused on how to be sure of the mind-muscle connection part in terms of my pelvis. Great info, thanks for sharing bro
    Don't pet me man
    Chicago crew
    Trips to band camp: 4 and counting