scg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

As soon as I've ran for 10min my shins start killing me. Will this always be the case

I just started running/jogging and want to continue but every time I hit about the 10min mark my shins hurt to much to continue. Is this something that happens to most beginners? Is it cause I'm 30pnds overweight? Will it go away if I continue to run a bit each day? I have no clue why this is happening I can go on the cross trainer for 30-45 min and no problem whatsoever, never any shin pain. Whhhhhats the deal?

jon1995 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jon1995 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jon1995 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jon1995 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jon1995 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jon1995 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jon1995 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jon1995 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jon1995 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jon1995 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jon1995 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    see a doctor, a internet forum cannot tell you whats wrong with your body. ITT OP lacks common sense

frank13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jon1995 View Post
    see a doctor, a internet forum cannot tell you whats wrong with your body. ITT OP lacks common sense
    how do he lack common sense.....

Shins splints is a pretty common thing - webmd.com/fitness-exercise/shin-splints add www before the address

asking a question about their body is what THIS site is all about!

Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by scg3 View Post
    I just started running/jogging and want to continue but every time I hit about the 10min mark my shins hurt to much to continue. Is this something that happens to most beginners? Is it cause I'm 30pnds overweight? Will it go away if I continue to run a bit each day? I have no clue why this is happening I can go on the cross trainer for 30-45 min and no problem whatsoever, never any shin pain. Whhhhhats the deal?
    stop running so much without rest, you need to give your body time to toughen the soft connective tissue between the tibia and tibialis anterior.
    You need to let them heal until its only a very dull presence, never "push through the pain" and start a run if they are sore from the day before.
    Its exacerbated by the fact you are carrying around extra weight. For a beginner, dont try to run over a mile a day, slowly increase distance over a period of time.
    Running on concrete is a whole new ballgame compared to a treadmill, bike, or elliptical, NONE of the conditioning from those will carry over since they are all completely different. I can do HIIT very aggressively on a bike but when i started running several months ago it felt like i have never exercised in my life.
    For a beginner id probably do a mile 2x a day MAXIMUM for a few weeks and just listen to your shins, a mile is fine, isnt going to burn many calories but you need to give your body time to adjust. Only run every other day for at least a month if you can take it.
    I went from only being able to jog 1/4 of a mile my first week to almost being able to RUN 3.1 miles months later without stopping and its taken nearly half a year, and i hardly improved when i was in a deficit.
    You can try foam rolling your shins to hell and back but there is really nothing you can do for a beginner.
    Oh and if you are serious, get a good fitting pair of shoes, synthetic socks to wick away moisture from your feet, because once you are able to run for over a mile, your feet will get hotter no matter how perfect running form is.
    There is always someone less fortunate, with real hunger, with real adversity, who made something of themselves. What is your excuse?

cnh57811 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cnh57811 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cnh57811 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cnh57811 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cnh57811 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cnh57811 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cnh57811 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cnh57811 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cnh57811 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cnh57811 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cnh57811 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by jon1995 View Post
    I agree with what jon said. I will also say that the same thing happened to me when I started running about a year ago. To avoid the pain you are feeling, I introduced actual running into my cardio routine VERY slowly. I only ran once per week for the first month or so. Then twice per week and so on. It eventually went away and I have not felt that pain in quite some time.

That is just my experience. Good luck man.

Edit: When I said I agree with Jon, I meant the 'seeing a doctor' part.
    Last edited by cnh57811; 11-22-2011 at 06:20 PM.

The_Vampire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) The_Vampire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) The_Vampire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) The_Vampire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) The_Vampire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) The_Vampire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Happened with me and yes, it gradually went away. I guess the body gets used to it or something ......

But yeah, you might want to consult a doctor as well just in case ......

sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i'm no doctor, but it's worth asking:

what shoes do you run in? i ran 5 miles outside the other day in basketball shoes (kinda on a whim with some friends...didn't have my vibram shoes with me) and for the past 3 days my shins have killed me. old shoes will also be worse on your shins. my asics never caused me shin probs even when i was pretty much obese. and my vibrams have been just as good.

th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    How much protein are you consuming?

Originally Posted by th3pwn3r View Post
    Hey guys I was wondering if I could get some advice or ideas on what's going on. For one I have very small lower legs and it's not only a thing of where my legs refuse to grow, I also have very small bone structure. Basically I have chicken legs. Anyhow, when I run I always get shin splints(I've tried compression wraps or shin wraps and they didn't help) so I've been running on the grass through my cutting phase and it seemed to help with the pain. I had been running for a good 2 months for at least 6 miles a day up to 7. Well, I decided I would take some days off and let my body rest so I took 5 days off of training all together from my cardio and lifting. Today I decided to get back to it and when I went running I noticed extreme pain in my legs. Not only was I feeling extreme pain in my shins, I was also feeling it in my quads horribly. After 15 minutes of struggling I decided that I would stop running before hurting my body seriously. So I came home and did some boxing to get my cardio in =/ I drank plenty of water today and didn't change anything as far as supplements go or anything like that. Can someone enlighten me on what happened today? Any advice on what I should do? I have good running shoes so I don't think that's the problem. Heck, it was very painful on the walk home. Could it have been something like beginner's soreness all over again? I'll check back tomorrow after I attempt to run again and see if I can get back to my 45 minutes of routine running. Thanks for the help in advance. Also, I'd like to add that I'm not overweight or anything like that. I'm 5' 10'' and about 165 pounds with maybe 10% bodyfat(I haven't used my caliper in a while now).
    That was me years ago. I tried different shoes, running on softer surfaces, taking days off, it didn't matter. The only thing that I did differently for the pain to go away was increase my protein intake by a large amount. Haven't had any issues since then.
    "Everyone thinks they're on their way to single digit body fat as soon as they see a blurry four-pack in the right lighting.Your final body weight at 5-6% will be a lot less than what you think.Talk to me again when you get in contest shape." I'd be willing to say that 95% of people on this forum accomplish nothing in years, don't be one of those people. It's sad,they seem to have the knowledge many don't but can't utilize it.

Tcoe13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tcoe13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tcoe13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tcoe13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tcoe13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tcoe13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tcoe13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tcoe13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tcoe13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Another thing could be your running form, ive ran into the same thing. when your foot hits the ground is it flat? or on your heel? make sure you use your whole foot through the motion from when it hits the ground till it comes off.

xinruS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xinruS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xinruS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xinruS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    When I said I agree with Jon, I meant the 'seeing a doctor' part.

scg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Talking

Originally Posted by Serpentarius View Post
    stop running so much without rest, you need to give your body time to toughen the soft connective tissue between the tibia and tibialis anterior.
    You need to let them heal until its only a very dull presence, never "push through the pain" and start a run if they are sore from the day before.
    Its exacerbated by the fact you are carrying around extra weight. For a beginner, dont try to run over a mile a day, slowly increase distance over a period of time.
    Running on concrete is a whole new ballgame compared to a treadmill, bike, or elliptical, NONE of the conditioning from those will carry over since they are all completely different. I can do HIIT very aggressively on a bike but when i started running several months ago it felt like i have never exercised in my life.
    For a beginner id probably do a mile 2x a day MAXIMUM for a few weeks and just listen to your shins, a mile is fine, isnt going to burn many calories but you need to give your body time to adjust. Only run every other day for at least a month if you can take it.
    I went from only being able to jog 1/4 of a mile my first week to almost being able to RUN 3.1 miles months later without stopping and its taken nearly half a year, and i hardly improved when i was in a deficit.
    You can try foam rolling your shins to hell and back but there is really nothing you can do for a beginner.
    Oh and if you are serious, get a good fitting pair of shoes, synthetic socks to wick away moisture from your feet, because once you are able to run for over a mile, your feet will get hotter no matter how perfect running form is.
    Thanks alot man. Very helpfull. I was actually talking about running on a treadmil. I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to push through the pain or not, now I'll know to stop. It actually doesn't hurt at all the next day. It doesnt even hurt after i rest for 5 min. My shins just start burning after 10 min of running so I take a little break and go back at it. I'm going to try and increase my time by a minute or so everyday and see if i can increase the time of my run before i feel the pain coming on. I will definatley look into getting a new pair of shoes.

Registered User closetspacefull's Avatar
    closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Alot of injuries come with running form. But don't think you can just take off your shoes and magically correct your form.
    It takes adaptation and a conscious effort in the beginning. Try barefoot running on the treadmill (start with short distances to build up the necessary muscles), watch videos on youtube about running on the balls of your feet instead of using heel strikes.

Once you get accustomed to it, run in shoes that don't elevate the heel too much and you should be good to go. Vibrams are expensive gimmicky shoes. Anything that's thin soled probably does the same trick.

Registered User closetspacefull's Avatar
    closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks alot man. Very helpfull. I was actually talking about running on a treadmil. I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to push through the pain or not, now I'll know to stop. It actually doesn't hurt at all the next day. It doesnt even hurt after i rest for 5 min. My shins just start burning after 10 min of running so I take a little break and go back at it. I'm going to try and increase my time by a minute or so everyday and see if i can increase the time of my run before i feel the pain coming on. I will definatley look into getting a new pair of shoes.
    NEVER EVER "PUSH THROUGH THE PAIN". There's a difference between being exhausted on a run due to cardiovascular exertion vs gritting through stabbing pains on your joint. The former builds up your endurance, the latter causes structural damage to your body. Running if done with poor form is incredibly taxing considering that at each stride, you're placing nearly multiple times your body weight on each foot depending on speed again and again and again and again. Our human bodies were meant to run but in a specific manner that goes against the prevalent (widen your stride, use heel strike) school of thought.

Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Shin Splints.

They're quite difficult to get rid of. There are so many causes. Most of the time it's because of poor athleticism, which comes from years upon years of sitting on your backside. If you have a decent pair of running shoes, just steadily increase the time and as a poster has said previously, extra protein wouldn't go amiss. I have them for a while for exactly this reason. They'll go eventually. Unless you're in the minority and have them through a medical problem which will require surgery (I believe). Let's hope that isn't the case for you.
    Currently cutting.

nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000)
    The cure is more running.
    Don't Drink, Don't Smoke, Watdo you do?
    -----CUT STACK---
    GROUND BEEF
    WHITE BREAD
    CHICKEN
    2% MILK
    BROCCOLI
    LOW FAT ICE CREAM
    THOSE YOGURTS WITH THE CANDY THING ON TOP
    SUGAR FREE JELL-O
    FIBER ONE GRANOLA BARS
    APPLES
    ORANGES
    PICKLES
    COFFEE
    MARLBORO 100's
    MORE COFFEE
    ------------------------------

Skunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    A couple things that have already been mentioned, but will repeat:

1) SLOWLY work your way up in distance and speed. Acknowledge your limits and DO NOT push yourself further once you start feeling pain. You don't want to put yourself in a state worse than when you started.

2) Ensure that you are using a proper running form. If you are landing on your heels - STOP! Here's a video explaining how to run properly:

Last edited by Skunk; 11-23-2011 at 07:49 PM.
    While you live, shine
    Don't suffer anything at all;
    Life exists only a short while
    And time demands its toll.

B - 255 lbs
    S - 355 lbs
    D - 405 lbs

Guardian187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Does the pain dissipate immediately after you stop running? I thought I had shin splints for years, but I actually have compartmental syndrome. The symptoms are similar, but with CS, the pain kicks in while running and subsides quickly after you stop running. Shin splints tend to continue to hurt after the run.

Yea I'll run for ten minutes then my shins will start hurting alot so I stop and continue walking till the pain goes away which is in a minute or two then i can continue with no pain at first, but of course it comes back. It only hurts after that ten minute run to. NEVER hurts any other time. Not even when I'm on the elliptical.

Shurdawg has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Shurdawg has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Shurdawg has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Shurdawg has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Shurdawg has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Shurdawg has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Happened to me a while back, hitting the pavement was tough on my shins. Take a rest week off running, try swimming or something that doesnt put such a pounding on your legs.

looseends is on a distinguished road. (+10) looseends is on a distinguished road. (+10) looseends is on a distinguished road. (+10) looseends is on a distinguished road. (+10) looseends is on a distinguished road. (+10) looseends is on a distinguished road. (+10) looseends is on a distinguished road. (+10) looseends is on a distinguished road. (+10) looseends is on a distinguished road. (+10) looseends is on a distinguished road. (+10) looseends is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    you have shin splints. get a good pair of true running shoes. try running on grass. never run through the pain. shin splints are the worst, and will just keep getting worse if try to push through it.

Stay Strong all year long alex2363's Avatar
    alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I had same problem, then I rested for 2 weeks and it went away. ( I just did the Stationary bike)
    IIFYM crews ....I Reps back.
    Traditional Wet Shave Crew / I can't hardly wait for tomorrow to come so I can lift then Wet Shave again.

Pommie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pommie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pommie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pommie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pommie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pommie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pommie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pommie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pommie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pommie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pommie will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You are new to running and using a treadmill.....usually a very forward leaning running style due to the forced momentum, you are carrying a bit of excess weight; these things alone will cause a lot of stress in the lower leg.

Your feet should pronate as a natural form of shock absorption, so its possible your shoes arent allowing this or you are over pronating; either way if it is that bad and holding you back you would benefit from seeing a podiatrist or biomechanical specialist for footwear advise and possibly orthotics.

erifly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) erifly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) erifly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) erifly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) erifly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) erifly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) erifly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) erifly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) erifly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) erifly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) erifly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Lots of people hit it on the nail. I def would not recommend a doctor just yet. Weight is prob the most significant cause. When I was carrying extra weight and began running, I had the exact same issue. I would not attempt to power through the pain, but don't quit as soon as you feel it. What actually helped me though was starting off slower. Started doing a warm up walk for about 2-4 mins @ 3.7...then started my run at a slower pace than usual. This worked very good for me. Def give yourself adequate rest in between runs. Shoes could also be an issue you can look at(make sure the shoes are for running for the long haul and not sprinting).

PurpleGorilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PurpleGorilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PurpleGorilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PurpleGorilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PurpleGorilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PurpleGorilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PurpleGorilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PurpleGorilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PurpleGorilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PurpleGorilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PurpleGorilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    5 min warm up walk, then stretch your legs, including hamstrings. Then slow jog and build the pace a la negative splits.