Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by dylanmcauley33 View Post
    Someone who said what I've been thinking all along.
    I'm on a 4 day split, and this is how I enjoy training most. It focuses on a compound lift each day.

People on here act as if you wont make progress unless you do ss or something.
    And until now I was doing other stuff besides lifting. Making it difficult to gain weight

my stats don't change the fact that you'll make progress on any decent routine

tbh most big guys started on a split, and the way people on here preach things like ss there's not a lot of stories of guys with hypertrophy goals succeeding
    Originally Posted by SkydogGinsberg View Post
    Okay, if you say so. You decided to forego the other stuff and focus solely on lifting 4 months ago in January.

Since then, you've been looking for new splits in Jan, Feb, Mar, April.

And you still weigh 125lbs ... not a single pound of progress in any of those months.

Are you sure you're in the right thread?
    Someone who clearly needs SS or SOMETHING with more frequent progression . . . AND a 3 hour tour through the nutrition forum.

Oh, and check out the journal section for all of the lack of success for people with hypertrophy goals starting on SS.

dylanmcauley33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dylanmcauley33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dylanmcauley33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dylanmcauley33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dylanmcauley33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dylanmcauley33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dylanmcauley33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dylanmcauley33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dylanmcauley33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dylanmcauley33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dylanmcauley33 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Okay, if you say so. You decided to forego the other stuff and focus solely on lifting 4 months ago in January.

Since then, you've been looking for new splits in Jan, Feb, Mar, April.

And you still weigh 125lbs ... not a single pound of progress in any of those months.

Are you sure you're in the right thread?
    I got one actually.
    my lifts have gone up substantially.
    not gained weight due to diet. which is due to things I'd rather not go into on an internet forum
    Current Lifts

Squat 5x5 85kg
    Bench 5x5 60kg
    Deadlift 1x5 102.5kg

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Griffin220x View Post
    Inb4 Sticky. Great post as usual Vox!
    This one's been around for over a year. Just gets an occasional bump here and there.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

dylanmcauley33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dylanmcauley33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dylanmcauley33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dylanmcauley33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dylanmcauley33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dylanmcauley33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dylanmcauley33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dylanmcauley33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dylanmcauley33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dylanmcauley33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dylanmcauley33 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by RockCrab View Post
    Someone who clearly needs SS or SOMETHING with more frequent progression . . . AND a 3 hour tour through the nutrition forum.

Oh, and check out the journal section for all of the lack of success for people with hypertrophy goals starting on SS.
    I can't find any. Am I missing something ?
    I would do something with more frequency, but I hate the idea of just 3 workouts a week.
    Current Lifts

Squat 5x5 85kg
    Bench 5x5 60kg
    Deadlift 1x5 102.5kg

SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    my lifts have gone up substantially.
    not gained weight due to diet. which is due to things I'd rather not go into on an internet forum
    Your lifts are going up for the time being, likely to neural adaptation improvements. Going from relatively little, infrequent lifting --> to gaining some recent consistency will increase any skinny kid's bench press for a little while. That's bound to stall out on your current 1/x frequency routine.

Your hypertrophy goals are for naught if you're not gonna eat properly for it -- so it's a moot point for you to bring up.

Change your frequency, change your food habit. Or make new threads month after month searching for the "perfect split" @ 125lbs.

Your lifts are going up for the time being, likely to neural adaptation improvements. Going from relatively little, infrequent lifting --> to gaining some recent consistency will increase any skinny kid's bench press for a little while. That's bound to stall out on your current 1/x frequency routine. Your hypertrophy goals are for naught if you're not gonna eat properly for it -- so it's a moot point for you to bring up. Change your frequency, change your food habit. Or make new threads month after month searching for the "perfect split" @ 125lbs.
    Why don't you post something productive that would point me in the right direction according to you instead of trying to look big on the net.
    if I train on a split, and eat in a surplus I'll grow?
    Current Lifts

Squat 5x5 85kg
    Bench 5x5 60kg
    Deadlift 1x5 102.5kg

SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Why don't you post something productive that would point me in the right direction according to you instead of trying to look big on the net.
    if I train on a split, and eat in a surplus I'll grow?
    The amount of productive advice you receive every month in your "new routine" threads would fill the rest of thread. One of this forum's most patient and helpful mods, WT, has taken much effort to help you, too. Even he had to give you the "good luck with your training goals" dismissal last month. So there's not much more I could add for "right directions". You're just one big 125lb ball of no-progress argument. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Good luck with your 2016 training goals, bro'.

The amount of productive advice you receive every month in your "new routine" threads would fill the rest of thread. One of this forum's most patient and helpful mods, WT, has taken much effort to help you, too. Even he had to give you the "good luck with your training goals" dismissal last month. So there's not much more I could add for "right directions". You're just one big 125lb ball of no-progress argument. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Good luck with your 2016 training goals, bro'.
    I'd love to do something with more frequency, but I'd hate just doing 3 days a week, what's wrong with that?
    I love spending more time and days in the gym.
    I dunno who to believe, someone who is a competitive bodybuilder who gave me my routine, or this site.
    you all say it is better etc. But I want to see some results from others running the routine I'm going to dedicate myself too. And I see plenty of people who've seen results on splits.
    Current Lifts

Squat 5x5 85kg
    Bench 5x5 60kg
    Deadlift 1x5 102.5kg

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Beware of taking advice from advanced lifters. They clearly know how to train themselves but don't necessarily make good coaches or understand the needs of a novice. The use of 'supplements' also change their training somewhat and despite what he might tell you, anyone who is a serious competetive bodybuilder IS probably using such 'supplements', even if competing in a tested federation.

Having said that I do agree in that you should be able to take the structure and workload of a novice program and spread it across more days if that is what you prefer... but the essence of it should not be changed.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Beware of taking advice from advanced lifters. They clearly know how to train themselves but don't necessarily make good coaches or understand the needs of a novice. The use of 'supplements' also change their training somewhat and despite what he might tell you, anyone who is a serious competetive bodybuilder IS probably using such 'supplements', even if competing in a tested federation.

Having said that I do agree in that you should be able to take the structure and workload of a novice program and spread it across more days if that is what you prefer... but the essence of it should not be changed.
    Thanks mate, you were on my thread a while back. I'm just confused I just want to train a lot!

what do you mean by the second part?
    Current Lifts

Squat 5x5 85kg
    Bench 5x5 60kg
    Deadlift 1x5 102.5kg

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz

what do you mean by the second part?
    You should be able (for example) to take a day from a very demanding full body workout such as JasonDBs 5x5 and split it into two days as long as you keep the total number of sets/reps the same then it makes little or no difference.

For example, move the bench press and rows to the following day. You just have to be aware that you will be using your triceps 6 days a week if you do this. It might lead to connective tissue problems so you could change the way it's split periodically or just split one or two of the days to make a 4 or 5 day routine instead of 6.

You should be able (for example) to take a day from a very demanding full body workout such as JasonDBs 5x5 and split it into two days as long as you keep the total number of sets/reps the same then it makes little or no difference.

For example, move the bench press and rows to the following day. You just have to be aware that you will be using your triceps 6 days a week if you do this. It might lead to connective tissue problems so you could change the way it's split periodically or just split one or two of the days to make a 4 or 5 day routine instead of 6.
    so does that mean effectively making the workouts shorter? Or do you mean taking the main lifts, eg bench and row, and adding them into different days with more exercises?
    Current Lifts

Squat 5x5 85kg
    Bench 5x5 60kg
    Deadlift 1x5 102.5kg

Yes, it makes the workout shorter. No, you should not add more volume or it changes the balance of the program, probably not for the better.

Yes, it makes the workout shorter. No, you should not add more volume or it changes the balance of the program, probably not for the better.
    Thanks mate, I PM'd you.
    Current Lifts

Squat 5x5 85kg
    Bench 5x5 60kg
    Deadlift 1x5 102.5kg

Griffin220x will become famous soon enough. (+50) Griffin220x will become famous soon enough. (+50) Griffin220x will become famous soon enough. (+50) Griffin220x will become famous soon enough. (+50) Griffin220x will become famous soon enough. (+50) Griffin220x will become famous soon enough. (+50) Griffin220x will become famous soon enough. (+50) Griffin220x will become famous soon enough. (+50) Griffin220x will become famous soon enough. (+50) Griffin220x will become famous soon enough. (+50) Griffin220x will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by VoxExMachina View Post
    This one's been around for over a year. Just gets an occasional bump here and there.
    I know, I've read this thread before. As of late I decided to make an account and I noticed this on the first page.
    1 Timothy 4:8 ESV For while bodily training is of some value, Godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come.

RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Monthly bump.

DRG7001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DRG7001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DRG7001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DRG7001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DRG7001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DRG7001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DRG7001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DRG7001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DRG7001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I read through a bit of this thread but I am still unsure if I should change up my routine. I have been lifting on and off for a little over a year. I have always done a 3-5 day split routine as well. Thought, I have made some considerable gains in strength when it comes to my chest and tri's, I havent noticed much anywhere else. I went from flat benching about 225lbs 1RM to around 360lbs 1RM for example.

- My deadlifts and squats however are probably about the same as they were a couple months ago. Im not positive though since I havent reallyt ried to add weight. I've jsut been trying to perfect my form on those lifts. However I dont feel any stronger in those areas.

-I have been doing a 5 day split the past 2 months now and its pretty high volume. I am usually in the gym for 2 hours and my split looks like this.

5 weeks of this:
    -Mon: chest
    -Tuesday: tris/shoulders
    -Wed: legs/ab
    -Thurs: back
    -Friday: bi's/ab
    -Saturday: light chest/tris

Then the next 5 weeks of this:
    -Mon: Chest/Back
    -Tuesday: rest
    -Wed: legs/abbs
    -Thurs: rest
    -Friday: Tris/shoulders/bis

Now, my question is this... Would it benefit me more to go to a full body or 2 day split with upper/lower? I'm at work atm so let me know if you need more information! Thanks

Wanna buy a flower?

roanphil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

need help

Hey guys.im 19 and have been working out for 4 months now.
    I am currently using the following split
    Mon - back as primary and biceps as 2ndry
    Tues- chest 1ry and triceps 2ndry
    Wed- legs
    Thur-shoulders and abs
    fri- biceps and back
    Sat-triceps and chest
    I do around 5 exercises of 3 sets and 13 reps for a primary body part and 3 exercises for a secondary one.
    I supplement with whey,creatine,fish oil and multivitamin.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by roanphil View Post
    Hey guys.im 19 and have been working out for 4 months now.
    I am currently using the following split
    Mon - back as primary and biceps as 2ndry
    Tues- chest 1ry and triceps 2ndry
    Wed- legs
    Thur-shoulders and abs
    fri- biceps and back
    Sat-triceps and chest
    I do around 5 exercises of 3 sets and 13 reps for a primary body part and 3 exercises for a secondary one.
    I supplement with whey,creatine,fish oil and multivitamin.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Do you have a question?

Did you even read the first post?
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

smallboy2012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smallboy2012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smallboy2012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smallboy2012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smallboy2012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smallboy2012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smallboy2012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smallboy2012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smallboy2012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smallboy2012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smallboy2012 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Full body

A - squat, bench press, rows, bicep curl
    B - DL, ohp, chinup, dips

ABA BAB

is it ok?

Self proclaimed parrot Determinednoob's Avatar
    Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    zomg finally stickied
    The floundering has ended.

Originally Posted by smallboy2012 View Post
    Full body

A - squat, bench press, rows, bicep curl
    B - DL, ohp, chinup, dips

ABA BAB

is it ok?
    Yes, it's fine.

I nearly posted a monthly bump two days ago . . .

Obvious sticky is obvious.

hardenheavy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hardenheavy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hardenheavy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hardenheavy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hardenheavy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hardenheavy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hardenheavy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hardenheavy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hardenheavy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hardenheavy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hardenheavy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I run and I lift. I mostly run short to medium distances (5-10km) and the purpose of the weight training is to complement the running and a general increase of fitness (and decrease in body fat %)

Here's my program. What do you think?
    Monday - Running
    Tuesday - Full body
    Wednesday - Running
    Thursday - Running
    Friday - Full body
    Saturday - Running
    Sunday - Rest day

I mainly alternate between two full body workouts both taking about 60 minutes + warm-up and stretch
    Bent-over row w/ dumbbells or Seated row
    Push-ups or Flat bench press
    Squats
    Military press
    Biceps curl
    Calf raise
    Triceps extension
    Kettlebell or Dumbbell swing
    Plank up-downs (or other form of plank exercise)

Bodyweight pull-ups or Lat pull-downs
    Incline bench press or Decline push-ups
    Deadlift
    Lateral shoulder fly
    Biceps curl
    Calf raise
    Triceps extension
    Kettlebell or dumbbell swing
    Oblique V-up (or other oblique ab exercise)
    An idea gets you started, motivation keeps you going, discipline gets you "there"...

Originally Posted by hardenheavy View Post
    I run and I lift. I mostly run short to medium distances (5-10km) and the purpose of the weight training is to complement the running and a general increase of fitness (and decrease in body fat %)

Here's my program. What do you think?
    Monday - Running
    Tuesday - Full body
    Wednesday - Running
    Thursday - Running
    Friday - Full body
    Saturday - Running
    Sunday - Rest day

I mainly alternate between two full body workouts both taking about 60 minutes + warm-up and stretch
    Bent-over row w/ dumbbells or Seated row
    Push-ups or Flat bench press
    Squats
    Military press
    Biceps curl
    Calf raise
    Triceps extension
    Kettlebell or Dumbbell swing
    Plank up-downs (or other form of plank exercise)

Bodyweight pull-ups or Lat pull-downs
    Incline bench press or Decline push-ups
    Deadlift
    Lateral shoulder fly
    Biceps curl
    Calf raise
    Triceps extension
    Kettlebell or dumbbell swing
    Oblique V-up (or other oblique ab exercise)
    If it's working for you, and meeting your goals, then that's all that matters.

However, I'd try to lift 3x per week instead of just 2. If you don't feel you have the recovery on some of the "big" lifts, then do those 2x a week and save the supplementary isolation lifts for the third day. Also, I know you're running, but I'd try to hit legs better on your second day. Deadlifts are not a leg exercise, so you basically are only working calves that day.

Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    So when would a 3 day body part split fit into this from a bodybuilding (not strength training) perspective? If we think of the progression being 3 day full body to 4 day upper\lower and then wanting to add volume again, it seems like that would leave you with really long workouts if you dropped from 4 days to 3. It seems like the next thing to do would either be 5 day bp split or 6 day p\p\l\p\p\l\rest

Originally Posted by Determinednoob View Post
    So when would a 3 day body part split fit into this from a bodybuilding (not strength training) perspective? If we think of the progression being 3 day full body to 4 day upper\lower and then wanting to add volume again, it seems like that would leave you with really long workouts if you dropped from 4 days to 3. It seems like the next thing to do would either be 5 day bp split or 6 day p\p\l\p\p\l\rest
    You can't so much think in terms of # of days as in total volume. Even if you go from an upper/lower done 2x each per week (4 days) to a 3-day body part split, your volume can go UP. That said, the natural progression isn't necessarily to 3 days. More likely, it would be a 4-day split.

Originally Posted by VoxExMachina View Post
    You can't so much think in terms of # of days as in total volume. Even if you go from an upper/lower done 2x each per week (4 days) to a 3-day body part split, your volume can go UP. That said, the natural progression isn't necessarily to 3 days. More likely, it would be a 4-day split.
    Yeah it just seems like upping volume but dropping a day would make for some long ass workouts. If someone is cool with that then more power to them

Extrnoa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Extrnoa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Extrnoa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Extrnoa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Extrnoa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Extrnoa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Extrnoa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Extrnoa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Extrnoa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Extrnoa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Extrnoa is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Ive made very good progress doing 3 day split