JamesMcIlroy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesMcIlroy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesMcIlroy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesMcIlroy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesMcIlroy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesMcIlroy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesMcIlroy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesMcIlroy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesMcIlroy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesMcIlroy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesMcIlroy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

A year of 5/3/1 and flexible dieting

Hi guys, I've been a long time lurker of various forums on BB.com but it's finally time to start logging.

Some background, I'm a medical student from the North East of Scotland (Aberdeen), currently pursuing a physiology degree in Edinburgh as part of an inter uni program. I was heavily involved in the formation of Aberdeen University Weightlifting club (I can't link the ******** page) and am currently the president.

I've competed numerous times in drug tested raw competitions here in Scotland with my best lifts being (as a junior)

202.5kg squat (446lbs)
    125kg bench (275lbs)
    245kg deadlift (540lbs)

@ 94kg bodyweight

Having lost the atmosphere and group training vibe that Aberdeen provided, I'm training mostly on my own in Edinburgh. I decided it was time to strip everything back to basics and decided to follow and videolog 5/3/1 for a year.

I'm nearly two blocks into the program, I started off very very light - for a couple of reasons. I want to milk the program for as long as possible without hitting plateau, and I want to improve my form. I'm following gyms 3/5/1 for powerlifting variant.

Block one
    Bench
    3 week 95kg x7
    5 week 90kg x10
    1 week 100kgx6

Squat
    3 week 150kgx10
    5 week 140kgx10
    1 week 160kgx10 (this was naughty, decided I wanted a PB and went for it)

Deadlift
    3 week 175x3
    5 week 165x7
    1 week 185x5

Military
    3 week 55kgx7
    5 week 45kgx10
    1 week 60kgx4

Block 2 - now

Bench
    3 week 97.5kg x 7
    5 week 92kgx8

Squat
    3 week 157.5kg x7
    5 week 150kgx10

Deadlift
    3 week 180kgx7
    5 week 170kgx7 (left it here as form wasn't good)

Military
    3 week 57.5x7
    5 week 55kgx10

Looking forward to keeping a log here. My youtube channel is in my sig (I can't link videos yet), where you can see my introduction and video logs.

Cheers guys
    Strong advocate of evidence based nutrition and training.

BSc Hons Physiology, University of Edinburgh
    4th year MBChB Medicine, University of Aberdeen

Doing a year or 5/3/1 and flexible dieting
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExHraJ9adtQ <- logged here

Competition lifts
    Squat - 205kg
    Bench - 125kg
    Deadlift - 245kg

www.jamesmcilroy.com