waxor will become famous soon enough. (+50) waxor will become famous soon enough. (+50) waxor will become famous soon enough. (+50) waxor will become famous soon enough. (+50) waxor will become famous soon enough. (+50) waxor will become famous soon enough. (+50) waxor will become famous soon enough. (+50) waxor will become famous soon enough. (+50) waxor will become famous soon enough. (+50) waxor will become famous soon enough. (+50) waxor will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Stiff Deadlift: Lower back Pain

Hey guys,

I have watched a lot of videos and read up about the stiff legged deadlift.
    I feel like when I do it my form is very good, and a few randoms in the gym told me my form was also very good.

The problem happens after my last rep and I put the bar down on the floor, I have somewhat of a pain on my lower back, it feels very stiff.
    I feel the exercise the most in my hamstrings for sure, specially the next day, but the lower back pain is usually sore right after the last rep and very uncomfortable.

I assumed it was normal and it was just working my back aswell (and maybe the fact my posture isn't great and it's strengthening/straightening it out - that's just what I told myself though).

A friend of mine was getting a personal training lesson and his PT told me I shouldn't be feeling any lower back pain at all when doing this, so now I am wondering what I am doing wrong.
    He told me to stick my chest out more and keep my back at a higher angle off the ground (I had it almost exactly parallel and straight).

I am doing it almost exactly like this video: youtube.com/watch?v=2ERNbAxtmPQ&feature=player_embedded (Won't let me post links)
    Except that my knees dont bend as much as I lower the bar (I am pretty flexible and can get a full stretch pretty easily until my grip fails)

Any ideas?

typh is on a distinguished road. (+10) typh is on a distinguished road. (+10) typh is on a distinguished road. (+10) typh is on a distinguished road. (+10) typh is on a distinguished road. (+10) typh is on a distinguished road. (+10) typh is on a distinguished road. (+10) typh is on a distinguished road. (+10) typh is on a distinguished road. (+10) typh is on a distinguished road. (+10) typh is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you know your form is good than lower your weight. Don't arch your back, keep your back straight and look straight ahead; stick that ass out. The PT is right, you shouldn't feel it in your back.

Sry, I can't look at the video cause I'm at work. Perhaps someone else can and let you know if the person in the video is doing it properly.
    . t y p h o n .

Nice shoes brah, they match your shirt.....

"Steal from yourselves, it never felt so good" - Chevelle

boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

i remember this guy, used to post here all the time.

a few points. the guy in the video is not doing a sldl. and he is not doing an rdl. sort of a collection of some attributes of both. not saying he is not doing an effective movement, just saying.

it all depends what your target muscle is. sounds like you want to target hamstrings, in which case you'd want to do an rdl. if so, you WANT an arched back, keeping your head up. the guy in the video has a neutral spine, which is fine, but it is not what you want with a textbook rdl. also, with an rdl, you start the move at the top, not on the floor. i've read that there is no need to touch the floor on the reps to effectively work the hamstrings. by reducing the ROM a bit, you would be saving the lower back a bit.

Warendbzgt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Warendbzgt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Warendbzgt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Warendbzgt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Warendbzgt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Warendbzgt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Warendbzgt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Warendbzgt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Warendbzgt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Warendbzgt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Warendbzgt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Romainian Deadlifts will eventually destroy your lower back. Rather do the olimpic deadlift. It works a lot more muscles then the romainian deadlift.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    What boathead said is spot on.

With a proper SLDL you should feel it in your lower back. However, most don't do it properly and use it as a hamstring exercise:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/tra...l-vs-sldl.html

RDLs ROM should be based around the hips moving backwards. You push your hips back and lower the weight until you can no longer push back anymore. Then you return by firing your glutes and pushing your hips forward. If your hips can not push back anymore adn you continue to increase your ROM by lowering your torso, you are just adding more work to your low back that is unnecessary given the intended focus of the lift.

WTF is an "olympic deadlift"? :confused
    If hamstrings are the target, then the hybrid SLDL or an RDL is better than a conventional dead in almost every scenario.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by boathead View Post

i remember this guy, used to post here all the time.

a few points. the guy in the video is not doing a sldl. and he is not doing an rdl. sort of a collection of some attributes of both. not saying he is not doing an effective movement, just saying.

it all depends what your target muscle is. sounds like you want to target hamstrings, in which case you'd want to do an rdl. if so, you WANT an arched back, keeping your head up. the guy in the video has a neutral spine, which is fine, but it is not what you want with a textbook rdl. also, with an rdl, you start the move at the top, not on the floor. i've read that there is no need to touch the floor on the reps to effectively work the hamstrings. by reducing the ROM a bit, you would be saving the lower back a bit.
    agreed - there is no need to touch the floor to work the hamstrings effectively - but with the wheels on the bar, one's already 6 inches above the ground, no? BUT yes one could go to just below the knees and get good work.

- BUT as strength goes up ROM will improve, so i'm with typh as well:
    reduce the load such that the full ROM does not result in pain at the end of your set.

You could do a few more sets at the load that is happy for your back.

best
    mc

ps - never move through pain

Lifting to Avoid COVID-19 PeterGibbons316's Avatar
    PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Warendbzgt View Post
    Romainian Deadlifts will eventually destroy your lower back. Rather do the olimpic deadlift. It works a lot more muscles then the romainian deadlift.
    lol wut?
    My Journal (RIP 05/11 - 09/13):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134256491

DIY Plyo Boxes:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151765733

geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Warendbzgt View Post
    When should I expect destruction?

waxor will become famous soon enough. (+50) waxor will become famous soon enough. (+50) waxor will become famous soon enough. (+50) waxor will become famous soon enough. (+50) waxor will become famous soon enough. (+50) waxor will become famous soon enough. (+50) waxor will become famous soon enough. (+50) waxor will become famous soon enough. (+50) waxor will become famous soon enough. (+50) waxor will become famous soon enough. (+50) waxor will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I never touch the ground with the bar after each rep, only when I have finished the set to put it down.

It sounds like I am doing the RDL from the link chazzy1864 posted (thanks).

My back definitely doesn't round and I have been told is it very flat all the way through during the down movement, so I am not really sure why I feel the lower back pain. I don't want to ruin my back!

Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post
    RDLs ROM should be based around the hips moving backwards. You push your hips back and lower the weight until you can no longer push back anymore. Then you return by firing your glutes and pushing your hips forward. If your hips can not push back anymore adn you continue to increase your ROM by lowering your torso, you are just adding more work to your low back that is unnecessary given the intended focus of the lift.
    Just read this now, can you explain this more I am not sure what you mean

Edit: Ok I think I get it. My ROM is definitely huge, I try to get a full stretch and go down as far as I can while trying to keep my chest up and back flat and get a good feel in the hamstrings, then I stand back up straight and repeat. The barbell probably drops just in the middle of my shins (I am very flexible).

I'll try lowering the ROM next workout to just below the kneecap perhaps, but I think I won't get as good a stretch in the legs.

Edit2:
    exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/RomanianDeadlift.html
    exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/BBStrBackStiffLegDeadlift.html these are how I am doing mine
    Last edited by waxor; 11-16-2011 at 12:57 PM.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Yeah, I personally stop just below my knees. Take a little wider stance (shoulder width to just outside shoulder width), if you need keep your toes pulled up to keep weight shifted back on your heels. As you lower the weight, generate the movement with your hips. Stick your ass back and push it back. If you can get your shins to go backwards, past vertical, fantastic. Keep the bar near your body as you push your hips backwards. Then when you get to the bottom of your movement, squeeze your glutes and thrust your hips back forward.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    be careful. ive had back issues for over a year that wont heal (largely due to work). it sucks, so make sure you stop yourself before you seriously get injured.
    Exercise Physiologist
    M.S. - Exercise and Sport Physiology
    West Chester University of Pennsylvania
    B.S. - Kinesiology
    University of Maryland

*Note: I am in no way, shape, or form suggested for anyone to do anything. Anything I post is purely based off of my own personal experience and opinions. If you decide to follow or do anything I say, that is of your own free will and not my suggestion.*