swannzstar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Dairy Free & healthy Protein Powders

I'm trying to go dairy free, but find that it's a challenge on meal planning without my beloved cottage cheese & Greek yogurt in trying to get enough protein in. I know I can use protein powders but have a bit of concern about health benefits of using them long term. Is anyone out there on a similar diet?? I'd really like to get all that I need from food versus supplements.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    is there a reason you're cutting out dairy? plenty of protein options besides cottage cheese and greek yogurt. chicken, fish, eggs, pork, bison, tofu, tempeh, seeds, nuts, nut butter, beans, etc. nothing wrong w/ protein powder, but i get wanting to get your protein from whole foods and think that's good.

milton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Greek yogurt is v low in lactose, due to the straining process, so people who are dairy intolerant tend to be fine with this. I don't eat cheese/milk etc as I react badly but have 2 x yogurts a day (can't have regular though). You can definitely get enough protein from whole foods if you don't want to use protein powders although they are good for convenience.

ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I use lactose-free whey protein powder only at night when craving something sweet (dumped into a bowl with peanut butter, fruit or whatever else), and also when traveling, but I can't say that it is entirely easy on the stomach - I still experience some unpleasantness sometimes with it. Not nearly as much as I would with some other dairy items. But it is just plain whey, no flavorings or stuff added to it so I don't worry about any scary ingredients in there.

For the rest of the time, protein from meats and eggs, but the powder is good when you want a treat/ something sweet or are traveling and do not want to offend your seatmates with tuna fish cans and stuff.

I do hear that the yogurt does not upset some people's stomachs. unfortunately the greek yogurt does not work out for me at all, shame because the protein content is fabulous, was it bothering your stomach?

As far as other powders, I hear great things about hemp protein, but the price tag is a bit of a turnoff. Also, I hear that the flavor might be an 'acquired taste' - quite hemp-like.
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55
    Meet lifts : Squat 275 | Bench 170 | Dead 400

Journal : http://tinyurl.com/80s-lifting-journal

mom to 3 boys / spend my life at grocery store crew

andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ilovethe80s View Post
    As far as other powders, I hear great things about hemp protein, but the price tag is a bit of a turnoff. Also, I hear that the flavor might be an 'acquired taste' - quite hemp-like.
    there's also pea, brown rice, pumpkin seed, egg white. i decided to stop having whey and casein and use life's basics plant protein (thanks, mausi, for the recommendation). but you can also get a whey isolate that's really low in lactose, unless it's too big of an issue.

also, forgot to say, there's lactaid cc.

just wasn't clear if lactose intolerance was the problem or if you were cutting out dairy for other reasons.

swannzstar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for all the responses! It's not being lactose intolerant, I just believe that dairy products aren't good for us past infancy. And I'm really trying to go natural and get what I need from whole foods. I appreciate all of the input. It definitely helps. :-)

Originally Posted by swannzstar View Post
    Thanks for all the responses! It's not being lactose intolerant, I just believe that dairy products aren't good for us past infancy. And I'm really trying to go natural and get what I need from whole foods. I appreciate all of the input. It definitely helps. :-)
    oy. the dairy controversy. to each his own.

CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You could do something like Egg Whites Intl. They're pasteurized so you can have them 'raw' in some smoothies. http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ewi/liquidew.html
    You may delay, but time will not - Ben Franklin