Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    trieason will become famous soon enough. (+50) trieason will become famous soon enough. (+50) trieason will become famous soon enough. (+50) trieason will become famous soon enough. (+50) trieason will become famous soon enough. (+50) trieason will become famous soon enough. (+50) trieason will become famous soon enough. (+50) trieason will become famous soon enough. (+50) trieason will become famous soon enough. (+50) trieason will become famous soon enough. (+50) trieason will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Fantastic! I feel a renewed sense of purpose. I appreciate the time you take to answer these kinds of questions, all too often I find threads and forums that are more or less dead unless your one of the "in-crowd". Your as diligent as ever though, even for new faces like mine. Thanks again. I'll be watching to see when you hit your current lifting goals, and I believe its time I set some of my own again.

-J.D

Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by trieason View Post
    Fantastic! I feel a renewed sense of purpose. I appreciate the time you take to answer these kinds of questions, all too often I find threads and forums that are more or less dead unless your one of the "in-crowd". Your as diligent as ever though, even for new faces like mine. Thanks again. I'll be watching to see when you hit your current lifting goals, and I believe its time I set some of my own again.

-J.D
    Happy to help out JD! Hopefully I can continue to offer motivation and insight.

Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz
    2-24-12 Deadlift Workout

Goal = 545 X 1...

trieason will become famous soon enough. (+50) trieason will become famous soon enough. (+50) trieason will become famous soon enough. (+50) trieason will become famous soon enough. (+50) trieason will become famous soon enough. (+50) trieason will become famous soon enough. (+50) trieason will become famous soon enough. (+50) trieason will become famous soon enough. (+50) trieason will become famous soon enough. (+50) trieason will become famous soon enough. (+50) trieason will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Heheh, I am the first one to see this! Or at the very least the first reply! Congratulations Derek!, after you pulled that 545, I thought, (man, that looked too easy for him), and then you went for the 585! That one looked like it took everything you had! The slight wobbly legs and everything! Very cool to watch, loved it.

Oh yeah... I just noticed that in most of these videos of you and that Masstolast guy, it seems you both are heavily clothed... I was wondering if you ever got too hot wearing that kind of gear and working out? I break a decent sweat just wearing shorts and a sleeveless shirt, even when taking 3-4 min breaks between power lifts, yet you fellas look crisp and cool.
    Last edited by trieason; 02-24-2012 at 01:47 PM. Reason: random thought

Heheh, I am the first one to see this! Or at the very least the first reply! Congratulations Derek!, after you pulled that 545, I thought, (man, that looked too easy for him), and then you went for the 585! That one looked like it took everything you had! The slight wobbly legs and everything! Very cool to watch, loved it.

Oh yeah... I just noticed that in most of these videos of you and that Masstolast guy, it seems you both are heavily clothed... I was wondering if you ever got too hot wearing that kind of gear and working out? I break a decent sweat just wearing shorts and a sleeveless shirt, even when taking 3-4 min breaks between power lifts, yet you fellas look crisp and cool.
    Thanks!

That's because you live in Texas where it is nice and warm and we live in cold Michigan LOL. In the summer I will wear and tank top and shorts, but in the winter I am bundling up!

MASSMADETOLAST is just really nice. (+1000) MASSMADETOLAST is just really nice. (+1000) MASSMADETOLAST is just really nice. (+1000) MASSMADETOLAST is just really nice. (+1000) MASSMADETOLAST is just really nice. (+1000) MASSMADETOLAST is just really nice. (+1000) MASSMADETOLAST is just really nice. (+1000) MASSMADETOLAST is just really nice. (+1000) MASSMADETOLAST is just really nice. (+1000) MASSMADETOLAST is just really nice. (+1000) MASSMADETOLAST is just really nice. (+1000)

Yeah the gym we train at every now and then opens at 8am on that day, then we get there to train an hour later and they shut the heat off at night. So the gym is pretty much an icebox up until the workout's just about over. It sucks!!
    x xTraining Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136977983

mad86 is just really nice. (+1000) mad86 is just really nice. (+1000) mad86 is just really nice. (+1000) mad86 is just really nice. (+1000) mad86 is just really nice. (+1000) mad86 is just really nice. (+1000) mad86 is just really nice. (+1000) mad86 is just really nice. (+1000) mad86 is just really nice. (+1000) mad86 is just really nice. (+1000) mad86 is just really nice. (+1000)
    The beast IS back!

2-27-12 Squat Workout

Squats 355 X 8

My squat is moving up! Hip flexors were feeling a little tight today. I have been slacking on stretching them this past week, so gotta keep up with that! All is going well.

Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    2-27-12 Squat Workout

Squats 355 X 8

My squat is moving up! Hip flexors were feeling a little tight today. I have been slacking on stretching them this past week, so gotta keep up with that! All is going well.

I notice there are videos of you cranking out them Deadlifts and Bench press...but where is the love for the squats? I personally am always curious to see how others stances are, especially a pro like yourself. I sometimes take the wide stance if I am doing really heavy stuff, it takes some pressure off the lower back while letting me lift a little more. If I do the traditional slightly outside shoulder width apart stance, I can't lift as much weight, and there is certainly some more pressure on the lower back, not a bad pressure, just more pressure. Whatever stance you use must work nicely enough to get you such solid leg results, I'd like to see your form to mimic it if thats alright.

I notice there are videos of you cranking out them Deadlifts and Bench press...but where is the love for the squats? I personally am always curious to see how others stances are, especially a pro like yourself. I sometimes take the wide stance if I am doing really heavy stuff, it takes some pressure off the lower back while letting me lift a little more. If I do the traditional slightly outside shoulder width apart stance, I can't lift as much weight, and there is certainly some more pressure on the lower back, not a bad pressure, just more pressure. Whatever stance you use must work nicely enough to get you such solid leg results, I'd like to see your form to mimic it if thats alright.
    I have been deadlifting with a friend so I have someone to video me, but am usually solo on my other workouts.

I'll try to get some other footage soon.

robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000)
    Nice deads Derek....that's awesome you were able to get 585....as others have said, 545 looked really easy for you. Beast-mode!
    RDF

The pain that greets me, is the stick that beats me...

My Journey:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151219463

AdamB. will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdamB. will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdamB. will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdamB. will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdamB. will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdamB. will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdamB. will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdamB. will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdamB. will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdamB. will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdamB. will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Derek, it was good talking to you, Layne and Mike at the Arnold. SciVation bag and shirt are awesome! Xtend/Novem samples will be consumed by the end of this week! Should have bought a box of the Styx packs Great idea with making those, will buy in the future!! - Adam
    *****BSN HyperFx Log*****
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139339773
    *****Team SciVation Log*****
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120404601-bulk
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126570663-cut

*****BBS Phoenix Log*****
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=115571941

I'm a mother lover, your a mother lover, we should f*ck each others mothers! F*ck each others moms!

Originally Posted by AdamB. View Post
    Derek, it was good talking to you, Layne and Mike at the Arnold. SciVation bag and shirt are awesome! Xtend/Novem samples will be consumed by the end of this week! Should have bought a box of the Styx packs Great idea with making those, will buy in the future!! - Adam
    It was good to talk to you as well Adam. The sticks packs are awesome for traveling, so convenient!

3-12-12 Workout: Bench Press Focus
    Worked up to 335 X 3 smooth reps (no stick points or grinding). My long term goal is 405 X 1 (Hit 365 X 1 two weeks ago).

My training schedule got a little out of whack over the past couple weeks but I am back to my normal schedule now. Everything is feeling pretty good, so I can't complain

I decreased my calories a little last week to lean up some. After a weekend of being around ripped people I had the urge to cut up LOL.

robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000)
    Nice...335 is awesome.....any advice on how to train "sticking points" ?
    RDF

The pain that greets me, is the stick that beats me...

My Journey:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151219463

Originally Posted by robertfah View Post
    Nice...335 is awesome.....any advice on how to train "sticking points" ?
    Thanks.

The most common stick point on bench press is about midway through the movement and usually occurs due to weak triceps/lockout strength. Doing rack presses, floor presses, and reverse band bench press are all good ways to improve lockout strength.

3-13-12: HIIT Cardio

Today I did some HIIT intervals on the bike followed by 20 mins on the stepper.

3-14-12: Deadlift Day

I hit 485 X 3 on deadlifts today. I was aiming for 5 reps, but it wasn't happening today.

3-15-12: HIIT Cardio

Because the weather is so nice I decided it was time to start doing some cardio outside. I found a local hill that looked solid for sprints so I headed over to try it out. I ended up doing 10 sprints up the hill. I got a nice cramp in my side after the 6th sprint but overall it was a good session for not having done these in a couple years. I will definitely keep these in the mix.

Exercise Highlight: Face-Pull with a Band

Face-Pulls target the muscles of the upper back. People often focus on pressing movements (i.e. bench press) and neglect the muscles of the upper back, which can lead to postural issues (shoulders rounded forward and neck pulled forward). Adding Face-Pulls into your routine is a great way to strengthen your upper back. I personally prefer doing Face-Pulls with a band instead of a cable pulley machine. Using a band offers two distinct advantages:
    (1) As you pull the band towards your face the tension increases which limits momentum and forces you to contract the muscles of the upper back harder.
    (2) You can also pull the band apart as you pull the band towards your face which increases the recruitment of the rear delts.
    There is nothing wrong with doing Face-Pulls on a cable pulley, but if you have access to bands I highly recommend using them for this exercise. One great way to add Face-Pulls to your routine is to do them between sets of bench press or other pushing exercises. Doing so will not only strengthen your upper back but also help improve your bench press.

triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Ooh nice tip. Face pulls eh...I will give those a shot at some point.

3-16-12: Upper Body Day

Today I did Push Press, Chin-Ups, Dips, HS Pullover, Incline Skull Crusher, and EZ Bar Curls. Highlights were:
    Chin-Ups: BW+50 for 5 sets of 3 reps
    Dips: BW+90 for 5 sets of 3 reps

3-17-12: OFF DAY!
    Because the weather was so nice I went up to the driving range, which I haven't done in a couple of years. I haven't played ANY golf in about two years, not that I played much when I did (I have played on a course maybe 4-5 times). I have always been decent at driving and today when I hit it good I was hitting 250+ yards straight. Some drives were crappy, some were decent, and some were really good. I may have to go back up to the range again this weekend as it was a lot of fun

3-19-12: Bench Day

Yup national bench day! I worked up to 355 X 2 today which went up smoothly (no spot needed). I find with bench press I suck at high reps (i.e. anything over 3 reps LOL). Followed this up with some bent over rows, incline DB press, and db rows.

I started cutting up some after the Arnold (so it has been about 2 weeks) and I am starting to see some good progress. The main thing I did was cut out all the little extras I was eating. That + some extra cardio seemed to get things moving. I weighed myself during the middle of the day last week and I was 215, so I would guess I am around 210 or so in the morning.

NGA\IFPA Pro Bodybuilder fltallpaul's Avatar
    fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I am sure you impressed some Bro's with a bench that big on national "how much ya bench" day.
    Contest Prep Coach

Paul@ProPhysique.com

Core Nutritionals/Outwork Apparel Athlete

NGA & IFPA Pro Bodybuilder

MASSMADETOLAST is just really nice. (+1000) MASSMADETOLAST is just really nice. (+1000) MASSMADETOLAST is just really nice. (+1000) MASSMADETOLAST is just really nice. (+1000) MASSMADETOLAST is just really nice. (+1000) MASSMADETOLAST is just really nice. (+1000) MASSMADETOLAST is just really nice. (+1000) MASSMADETOLAST is just really nice. (+1000) MASSMADETOLAST is just really nice. (+1000) MASSMADETOLAST is just really nice. (+1000) MASSMADETOLAST is just really nice. (+1000)
    3-19-12: Bench Day

Yup national bench day! I worked up to 355 X 2 today which went up smoothly (no spot needed). I find with bench press I suck at high reps (i.e. anything over 3 reps LOL). Followed this up with some bent over rows, incline DB press, and db rows.

I started cutting up some after the Arnold (so it has been about 2 weeks) and I am starting to see some good progress. The main thing I did was cut out all the little extras I was eating. That + some extra cardio seemed to get things moving. I weighed myself during the middle of the day last week and I was 215, so I would guess I am around 210 or so in the morning.
    It sure is lol. I'm the same way...3-5 reps is my magic range, anything past that and lactic acid comes in to ruin the party. I'll have to make another trip out there to train with you on Upper day real soon.
    x xTraining Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136977983

Originally Posted by fltallpaul View Post
    I am sure you impressed some Bro's with a bench that big on national "how much ya bench" day.
    It definitely felt good to hit 355 when everyone else had 135-225

adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It definitely felt good to hit 355 when everyone else had 135-225
    stop making fun of me
    Lack of activity destroys the good condition of every human being, while movement and methodical physical exercise save it and preserve it. ~Plato

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143873931

bseio07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ART Treatment Update

I went to my ART session yesterday and got adjusted and worked out. Funny my mid-back, which is where the pain was originally, was completely gone by Sunday. I kept my appointment because I knew I needed to get adjusted. As I suspected my sacroiliac joint was out of place on my left side, which is the same side that was originally out of place years ago which lead to my injury. When my sacroiliac joint gets out of place or becomes "locked up" it basically shuts my left glute down so it doesn't work. So we worked on loosening my left glute up. In addition my left hip adductor is extremely tight, perhaps from compensating for the non-firing glute. My left hip adductor felt like a steel cable (that's not good) and was very painful when the Dr. worked on it. So I have to work on loosening up the glutes and hip adductors. The best thing for me to do is get adjusted when I first feel the signs of my sacroiliac joint being out of place. I felt like I needed to get adjusted but had been putting it off. It is better to get things taken care of at the first sign of injury before waiting until something hurts. I have deadlifts tomorrow so we will see what happens

Derek, I also have trouble with my left glute not firing. What glute/hip stretches are you doing to fix this?

cbjones01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjones01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjones01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjones01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjones01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjones01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjones01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjones01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjones01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjones01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjones01 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Derek,

What's your diet been like lately? Plan on hitting a target weight this offseason or just maintaing?

Originally Posted by adamjohn32 View Post
    stop making fun of me
    My bad, my bad!

Originally Posted by bseio07 View Post
    Derek, I also have trouble with my left glute not firing. What glute/hip stretches are you doing to fix this?
    Doing some single leg glute bridges (pull the knee of the leg off the ground toward your chest) as part of your warm-up would help.

Originally Posted by cbjones01 View Post
    Derek,

What's your diet been like lately? Plan on hitting a target weight this offseason or just maintaing?
    I will post a full update next week as I decided to take this week off. I have been feeling kind of beat up the last two weeks so I knew I would be taking a week off soon, but I went in the gym for my workout today and I just felt weak so I left during the second exercise and decided to take the week off

cbjones01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjones01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjones01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjones01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjones01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjones01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjones01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjones01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjones01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjones01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjones01 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I will post a full update next week as I decided to take this week off. I have been feeling kind of beat up the last two weeks so I knew I would be taking a week off soon, but I went in the gym for my workout today and I just felt weak so I left during the second exercise and decided to take the week off
    I hear ya Derek! Rest up and enjoy the time off!

DGetsCut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by cbjones01 View Post
    Derek,

Yeah, I was wondering what your diet is made up of in the off-time too.

4-2-12: Time to Cut for the Summer!
    The weather is starting to warm up and I am starting to plump up, so it is time to lean up for the summer. I weighed in today at 218.5 lbs, which is not the heaviest I have ever been but definitely the heaviest I have been at this leanness... or rather semi-leanness. I made some good gains over the past few months and am happy with my progress: Hit 585 on Deads, 415 on Squats, and 375 on Bench. My long term goals are still to get up to 495 on squats and 405 on bench by this upcoming winter. Even though I am "cutting" I will still be focusing on gaining strength. Throughout my offseason I have mainly been doing an upper/lower type of split and I plan on continuing that for now. I had wanted to start Sheiko 29 but my left knee and right shoulder don't feel 100% so it is not the right time to do so, hence why I am cutting instead.

Current Diet
    My current diet will be as follows:

Meal 1
    1.5 Scoops Scivation Whey mixed in 1 Cup Almond Milk + 1 Cup Oatmeal + 20g Peanut/Almond Butter + 10g Raw Honey

Meal 2 (PWO)
    6 oz. Grass Fed Beef on 2 Slices Ezekiel Bread + 2 oz. Sweet Potato Fries

Meals 3&4
    6 oz. Chicken + 30g Almonds/Cashews + Veggies

Meal 5
    3 Whole Free Range Eggs + 1 Scoop Scivation Whey + Fruit

I was following a similar setup in the offseason but had carbs in meals 3-5.

Current Training Program
    Monday = Upper Body (Bench Press Focus)
    Tuesday = HIIT
    Wednesday = Lower Body (Deadlift Focus)
    Thursday = HIIT
    Friday = Upper Body
    Saturday = Lower Body (Squat Focus)
    Sunday = OFF

I will add in some more cardio as I go, but I should be able to lean out some with the above diet + cardio.

I snapped a pic today just to show what I currently look like:

Shredtime!