Thread: Trap Help

JohnSch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnSch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Trap Help

Hey Guys, Ive been looking at a few workout routines on this site and noticed alot of the routines dont incorperate shrugs into their routine they just do upright rows. Which excersise is better, Shrugs or rows for your traps.

krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by JohnSch View Post
    Hey Guys, Ive been looking at a few workout routines on this site and noticed alot of the routines dont incorperate shrugs into their routine they just do upright rows. Which excersise is better, Shrugs or rows for your traps.
    I prefer shrugs if I do them just because the u-rows hurt my arms/wrists, and just feel akward sometimes. I think most will agree shrugs are the best, and some might even say that doing deadlifts alone will be enough to make them grow. It's really up to you to experiment and find out what is best for you.
    www.grazethesky.com

yogibearish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The only problem with shrugs is that quite often people load too much weight on and bounce it up by flexing their knees. Upright rows feel uncomfortable for some and there is a long running argument that they can cause shoulder injury (I still do them and I'm fine). As with most exercises if you watch your form then shrugs will work well for trap building.

Really make a point of trying to touch your ears with your shoulders when shrugging (which is impossible for most people so don't worry if you can't!!!) and squeezing the weight at the top of the movement. Keep them nice and slow and smooth, not jerky and bouncy as you'll be achieving absolutely nothing. Try doing them seated to keep your form if it helps.

As krete77 said, if you really want to build traps then deadlifting heavy is probably your best bet, look at the traps of pro powerlifters if you want proof of that. But in answer to your question shrugs will work for trap building (with proper form, obviously) and will avoid the discomfort that some people feel when performing upright rows. If you're comfortable with upright rows then you can can mix it up or do both to keep your routine interesting, everybody (and every body) reacts differently to different exercises.

xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Deadlift for traps.
    Rack deads as well.
    Best movements for traps
    Type 1 Diabetic - Since age 15
    Luke 1:37 "For NOTHING is impossible with God"

INSTAGRAM: StevenGFH Follow me!

*ALLMAX NUTRITION REP*

ALLMAX Nutrition, Inc.
    SCIENCE - INNOVATION - QUALITY - RESULTS
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/all/all.htm

Disclaimer: All forum or bulletin board posts are solely the opinion of myself and do not necessarily reflect the views of ALLMAX